Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Styider View Post
    Now because he is a ranger he uses bows the most.
    Ranger does not mean RANGED. In fact in D&D they have to choose either ranged or TWF so many have almost no ranged ability. Ranger is from LOTR, do you recall the ranger in LOTR using bows at all? Nope. Ranger is also from term "forest ranger", which explains the connection to nature.

Finally your assessment of rangers over all is totally wrong, they are one of the most powerful classes in the game, just take a peek at the number of high level rangers to know that.

I will still say I love the game and have met some great people in the game. I also know it’s new and you are adding more to the game with every update..
    This is not a new game, its almost 4 years old.

Wow..um Op did you come back from 2006? Have you played a ranger past 4? Cause lets see we get Favored Enemy, Free bow feats (that most of us dont even use) Tempest I II and III, light armor is awesome specially if your making an Ac type ranger or now they have outfits so rangers dont have to run around in dresses..er robes.

Im pretty sure other posters have covered what im about to say but seriously hang in the back? Better bows? Do you know theres a raid called the shroud where you can actually craft a better bow? Probably not since you really have no idea how strong the ranger class is. And on top of that add the fact that even if your not archery specced you get a capstone that betters your rate of fire, or that if you go strength based tempest and do it right you can come out with one of the highest dps in game I have no clue of what your talking about.

other perks ability to heal yourself and others if your nice, one of the easiest classes to solo with. Best synergy with multiclassing specially ranger/rogue in my humble opinion.

I could go on but really I dont think youve given this class a real look at or have played it to its potential. This post of yours would have flied a long time ago before Rangers were really upgraded. But as it stands you have me very baffled by your judgment on this class.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    read my sig
    Your sig just shows how dated your opinion is.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

I understand why many people don't know about the ranger class. The "ranged" attacks do suck compared to most other mmo's. I did "invaders" last night and got scoffed at for twf on my ranger untill I just out pummeled the Barb and two pallys. Then it was like they woke up and said "Ok, I will never take rangers for granted again." My favorite class in game and as far as and easy button goes, I think that just depends. There's good builds and bad builds, good players and bad players so I take that comment with a grain of salt. I like to have fun and game, if I don't make the craziest uber-complicated build then I'm fine with it, just don't call me an "easy" button pusher cause thats just ******** imo.

+1 tanka

Quote Originally Posted by stazer View Post
    this ridiculous epic failure mentality is exactly why we see in the LFM:

looking for "tank" - and next to that only barbs, fighters, pali's.

awful
    Well, those LFMs are at least two steps ahead of a lot of the newer players. First, they've at least figured out how to use the Grouping panel. Second, they actually allow barbs as tanks. Its better than listening to "Need a fighter or paladin tank for Redfang" spammed in general chat.
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Quote Originally Posted by Arnya View Post
    Wrong.

Wrong again.

And 3 wrongs makes a /Fail.

...I stopped reading after that

Go play a ranger with some points in Strength and come back after 12-15 levels....

Thats fantastic. A post claiming some other person's "wrongness" yet doesnt support his/her "statement" in any way shape or form, then a sentence basically saying L2P. Come on now. Please be kind to those who know less or are misinformed. I would like to be treated with respect when I am mistaken (and I often am being new to this game) instead of some one yelling "FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!" at me...

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaros View Post
    Thats fantastic. A post claiming some other person's "wrongness" yet doesnt support his/her "statement" in any way shape or form, then a sentence basically saying L2P. Come on now. Please be kind to those who know less or are misinformed. I would like to be treated with respect when I am mistaken (and I often am being new to this game) instead of some one yelling "FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!" at me...

Just sayin'.
    FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!

j/k, this kind of response is just forum static. After a while, it becomes white noise, and you start to ignore it automatically.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Op, I agree with this thread's title, but not for the reasons you list.

I just find rangers so BORING

They're good for when you just want to chill out and gather ingredients, though.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

I have been playing D&D most of my life and have been a DM for over 27 years. I have always loved the ranger class. I know he is not made to be a tank or a powerful caster. But he is very limited in this game.

His armor is limited the most. Even medium Mitherl armor hurts his class in this game. So if he needs to stick to light armor I could put up with that if he had many good choices to use. But he has nothing to stand up to a few blows, spells, or even arrows to help take some of the heat off the party. His best bet is to stay so far away from the fighting that you can’t tell what you are shooting at.

Now because he is a ranger he uses bows the most. The bows are week and the good arrows are ok at the best. If this class is going to be stuck to light armor that keeps you away from the party and using range weapons the most, let’s give the class some weapons where people would be looking for rangers in their groups. Some powerful weapons and armor just for rangers would be good. Something that no other class can use that can really add to the fight. Rangers are masters of the wilderness and living off the land. So maybe when they are fighting in the wilderness they should get extra damage and extra AC? How about finding hidden items/places in the wilderness that no other class will be able to find? If he is best with arrows lets give him some arrows to show that. How about some paralyzing arrows? Or some that can set the target/area on fire like a fire spell does. Maybe even the exploding arrows from the old D&D books. A bow of Thunder clap that will knock down targets it hits? Over all as this class stands right now it is very limited in its class and really not a lot of help to the party. If they need a fighter/caster/searcher the ranger is out. They are matched in range weapons with fighters throwing magical daggers/axes and casters throwing distance damage spells. In the old D&D game we would tie items to our arrows to give it extra damage (vials of oil to set the target on fire, acid), dip the arrows in a potion, (Sleep, Poison, venom) or have a caster cast a spell on the arrows to give it an effect we needed or wanted. Slaying arrows should only be used by classes with a high prophiceny with bows. Classes like rangers and the arrows should slay the target or have a very good chance to slay it. The ranger is good all around class that can stand on its own if equipped right. I’m not saying he can go toe to toe with the bosses like a tank can. That would put him on the floor and chopped up in a few chunks. I just think you have over looked a lot with this class and made him to week. Many people in the game know this. I have had many of them tell me they will not let rangers into their group because they are not worth the room they take up. I will keep running my ranger to he is 20th level and them use him for the only thing he seams to be real good at. Getting equipment for other classes of lower level.

I will still say I love the game and have met some great people in the game. I also know it’s new and you are adding more to the game with every update. I just would like you to take a hard look at the Ranger and maybe do some updating to the class. Keep up the great work on the game. It is one of the best on the net.
    I agree.

That range combat should be improved, but that argument has been alive since we got the ability to go above level 10.

You will forgive the more passionate forums regulars as they are quite vigilante in regards to misconceptions. This is truly a learning experience for you!

A Ranger is both ranged and hand to hand capable, but with ranged combat sub par (opens can of worms) and the need to succeed; hand to hand combat has truly been the hallmark of a ranger. Add the tempest enhancement to the mix and you get a whirling combatant that is hard to beat and hit.

As was suggested read up on the forums, lots of great information there and don't get discouraged by the previous post. There are more than a few players who would like to see ranged combat improved, but as I stated before that’s a part of a larger argument and discussion.

Here's hoping you are not put out and will continue playing!

-paint

In DDO when people discuss Ranger they seem to immediately go for Tempest Ranger in Icy Rainments.

Deepwood Sniper and Arcane Archer might as well not exist.

Maybe OP wanted to play Archer, not melee Tempest Ranger, and correct answer to that is, in DDO, its pointless. Except for duration of Manyshot, while lv 10 and under and using Silver Bow or similar Holy+Pure Good bow.

Forums here seem to have as many elitists who have been born knowing everything as WoW had.

For at least half the population, min-maxing and Raids are not the MMO they pay to play, unfortunately majority of that half also dont come to forums much so forums deteriorate into this pigsty where instead of giving constructive advice we get lamers insulting people who come to DDO expecting DnD and get WoW-like endgame.

Advice that should have been given is: In DDO archery is very badly implemented, as is spell casting for most part as while you cast one spell or fire 4 shots with a bow, melee will attack 11 times for drastically more damage. You can be archer for 20 seconds every 2 minutes while Manyshot is active, when it ends, put away bow and pull out your two Khopeshes or Rapiers. If you want to play Ranger as envisioned in DnD PnP roll 18 Ranger/1Rogue/1Monk "Exploiter" build and carry ton of wands and scrolls (with maxed UMD) and I can guarantee tons more fun than trying to play Pure Ranger.

Ranger is a fun and powerful class, but Ranger is very gear dependent, especially since DDO is designed with idea that people will try to push the limits and since mob AI leaves lot to be desired they take every other MMO companies way out and give mobs ton of extra Hp, so if you dont do damage fast enough, game gets drastically less fun. If it makes you feel any better, every MMO and every MUD and every BBS multiplayer RPG has used same scaling idea. Maybe one day difficulty becomes AI not hp that you pluck at while going through motions to counter preset routine of every Boss.

Well if the Op had addressed only his disappointment in ranged combat he would have had sympathy. Many of us who love archery have long since given up on it weve begged pleaded for ways to make it better at all levels not just level 20.

He made a very sweeping generalization of the class based on one function that many dont use because of the flaws. And its just a simple fact that if it was not for tempest the ranger class would be where it was years ago declined for just about everything due to peoples bow fearing kiter mentality.

so sorry if my post to the op seemed know it all ish but I look at it this way he didnt just say ranged combat is a disappointment he said the class is, and it has been proven that rangers have more love now then a lot of classes in the game including having one of the best enhancement lines, free feats that add to functionality and just a mixture of good qualities. Its not just about being able to fight the ability to heal yourself is another perk that many melee classes dont get to utilize without umd. I hope the op does get to enjoy the ranger class but as far as archery goes its got a long way to go sadly.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Lextek View Post
    /signed.

OP, Try thinking outside the little box you've created for yourself. Your points ar enot valid since al the restrictions you speak of are self imposed or have no real bearing on gameplay.

Armor? Pointless.

Age of Game? irrelevant.

Ranged COmbat? Playstyle CHOICE. not a requirement.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

In the pub, studying a map and making plans for my next adventure.

(Does Tom Skerrit imitation from 'Top Gun')
    Well....I'd say that just about covers the fly by...

To the OP -
    1. This is DDO, not D&D or AD&D 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3.5, or 4th edition.
    2. Your age and years as a DM for the paper game mean literally nothing here, and only trigger the "I've been playing since Beta" reflex in groups (it ain't pretty). See item #1. Some of us still have the little paper pamphlets that later *became* the first D&D game, as well as most of the books ever printed on the game - but it means nothing in DDO.

Whomever you have been playing with (and/or getting declined by in groups 'because you are a ranger') probably *haven't* been doing so because you have a Ranger icon next to your name in the list. They are likely doing so for another reason - perhaps because you seem to have a ranged build and a ranged focus (which are not really optimal in DDO, for any class, even the ranger).

There are a few classes in DDO that are routinely considered for multiclass builds, because they offer a lot - Ranger is certainly one of those classes. On it's own, it has enough options that you can build it many different ways and still be successful. The ranger class is versatile, group and solo friendly, and fun to play. It's also been around for a few years, so there are some well known 'optimized builds' available, as mentioned by others in this thread.

Perhaps you should post your build, and tell us what you would like to see from the class/character? You'd probably get more positive feedback that way, rather than posting what (at first read) seems like a forum post written 4 years ago and only now being delivered by the server gremlins. It is that far out of touch with the current game.

One final note, are you aware that a Mithril Breastplate counts as Light Armor?
    Last edited by Ardkor; 12-02-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell 'teh' right, the first two times...
    On Sarlona:
    Omnitek 17 (WF Monk 13/ Rogue 3/Wizard 1, soloist).
    Calphalon 7 (WF, Rogue 1/Artificer 6, *still* duoing with my wife and having fun)

Community Member

Just play a caster

At level 10+ you will utterly destroy things.

All this without having to spend massive money and time for the items others have listed.

You get one of the best self buffs in the game(Displacment),Firewall(this spell owns..bad)

DDO isn't based like other online games so the classes arent really "balanced" to be equal.

The Ranged Rangers being too powerful if they made archery better is not a very good one.
    A level 10 Sorc will hit for 1k plus normally and at 12 Firewall crits a lot for 500+ on every mob that gets near it.The Sorc can do this with easily obtainable items while the Ranger is gonna need some serious time and such spent on him to even see the caster.
    Please don't talk about overpowered,please don't.

hmmm. Is this for real?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheona777 View Post
    I am proud of this forum post because it shows my ego and my pride. Yahoo Answers! was only to poll others on what they thought of the situation. I know I am in the right and I am always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lextek View Post
    In DDO when people discuss Ranger they seem to immediately go for Tempest Ranger in Icy Rainments.

Maybe OP wanted to play Archer, not melee Tempest Ranger, and correct answer to that is, in DDO, its pointless. Except for duration of Manyshot, while lv 10 and under and using Silver Bow or similar Holy+Pure Good bow.

Forums here seem to have as many elitists who have been born knowing everything as WoW had.

For at least half the population, min-maxing and Raids are not the MMO they pay to play, unfortunately majority of that half also dont come to forums much so forums deteriorate into this pigsty where instead of giving constructive advice we get lamers insulting people who come to DDO expecting DnD and get WoW-like endgame.

Advice that should have been given is: In DDO archery is very badly implemented, as is spell casting for most part as while you cast one spell or fire 4 shots with a bow, melee will attack 11 times for drastically more damage. You can be archer for 20 seconds every 2 minutes while Manyshot is active, when it ends, put away bow and pull out your two Khopeshes or Rapiers. If you want to play Ranger as envisioned in DnD PnP roll 18 Ranger/1Rogue/1Monk "Exploiter" build and carry ton of wands and scrolls (with maxed UMD) and I can guarantee tons more fun than trying to play Pure Ranger.

Ranger is a fun and powerful class, but Ranger is very gear dependent, especially since DDO is designed with idea that people will try to push the limits and since mob AI leaves lot to be desired they take every other MMO companies way out and give mobs ton of extra Hp, so if you dont do damage fast enough, game gets drastically less fun. If it makes you feel any better, every MMO and every MUD and every BBS multiplayer RPG has used same scaling idea. Maybe one day difficulty becomes AI not hp that you pluck at while going through motions to counter preset routine of every Boss.

You obviously didn't pay attention then because there have been more then a few posts in this thread trying to explain to him what he should do etc etc (mine included which mentioned the exploiter build specifically). Would you look at that you were part of the "lamers insulting people" crowd you lament so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!

(I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoian View Post
    New.. by a long shot.. and pls why does "new" ppl think that ranger is just for ranged.. omg.. I love the ranger class and not by useing a bow.. The ranger can do so much more.. wake up ppl..
    Maybe because in PnP the only decent rangers are archers?

Or just because Turbine haven't advertised that ranged weapons are restricted to smashing explosive barrels only?

Quote Originally Posted by Krag View Post
    Maybe because in PnP the only decent rangers are archers?

Or just because Turbine haven't advertised that ranged weapons are restricted to smashing explosive barrels only?
    I cant tell if you are asking the question or answering the prior post with a question you know the answer to...so....Im assuming you know the answer and I cant disagree with you more about rangers only being good archers in the PnP version. In 3 and 3.5, TWF, EWP (bastard sword or wha eva) Weapon focus and PA make for a capable melee ranger....just like DDO. If you take 4 levels of fighter first and also take Weapon Specialization, you end up being a whirlwind of doom.

@Zippo: I was not insulting anybody. That you get offended by blanketing just says that you feel you were a bad boy and targeted, when I targeted noone. Here, have a twig and some coal. Better luck next year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast