Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add Grass

Default Add Grass

As I have been roaming around the world of DDO, I have begun to realize that as awesome as the maps are, the environments just feel so bland and plain in most places. Even in Sorrowdusk, which is an amazing jungle setting, and when I look up it is dumbfounding how awesome the canopy looks, but when I look forward, the ground is just as boring as can be.

I think what this world REALLY needs, is some grass. I mean, the flat grass texture can only do so much to appeal to the atmosphere of an environment.

Take a look at some screens of Oblivion for example. The quality of the environment is not that much better than that of DDO as far as rock textures, structure textures and models. But where it really sets it apart, is the lush fields of grass and flowers.

Take a look at these screens for examples:

Just amazing!

Now compare those to some screens I took in Sorrowdusk.

Sure, there is some foliage on the ground, but for the most part, it is very scattered around, and doesn't really complete the atmosphere by itself. We need flowing grass.

Now, I can hear all the naysayers complaining about lag, and "This is an MMO, and all MMO's have lower quality graphics, blah blah blah." Bull shiz...

The grass doesn't have to interact with the characters. Just make it a static client side enhancement. Hell, make it optional if you want. All I know is, flat grass textures do not contribute to the atmosphere.

grass tends to show up when DX10 is enabled, but yes not as large and dynamic as seen above
    Fallen former minion of the Gelatinous Cube
    Proud Member of Ascent
    Arko Highstar
    Arckos Highstar

Your absolutely right. Why should we care about bug fixes, and new content and classes or races when they could just add grass.

Orrrrrr, you could just play Oblivion.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldKiller View Post
    Your absolutely right. Why should we care about bug fixes, and new content and classes or races when they could just add grass.

Orrrrrr, you could just play Oblivion.
    As if they would have to stop all production on everything they are doing to add some simple grass. It would take 1 developer, and 1 graphic artist working together less than a week to add this feature.

So you can take your sarcasm, and stick it where the grass doesn't grow.

Community Member

DDO has hundreds of yard workers that come out during down time, that keep the grass as short as can be. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedwin View Post
    DDO has hundreds of yard workers that come out during down time, that keep the grass as short as can be. That is all.
    Didn't I see mention around here something about fainting goats? Perhaps they're the ones taking care of the grass..

Quote Originally Posted by Sintwar View Post
    As if they would have to stop all production on everything they are doing to add some simple grass. It would take 1 developer, and 1 graphic artist working together less than a week to add this feature.

So you can take your sarcasm, and stick it where the grass doesn't grow.

Which in the grand scheme of things would be so cost effective as putting grass in is going to make or break the game. Maybe they could have another developer add little bunnies and mice to run around in the grass as well.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

Community Member

Maybe they could have another developer add little bunnies and mice to run around in the grass as well.
    Only if my WF barbarian can step on the bunnies.

Chickens, we need chickens, nuf said.

Uh-oh.... somebody spoke ill of the Groundskeeper...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by vectner View Post
    Chickens, we need chickens, nuf said.
    So we can go for the "Chicken Kicker" title?

Which in the grand scheme of things would be so cost effective as putting grass in is going to make or break the game.
    You never know. The mind blowing atmosphere of Oblivion was one of the things that helped make it one of the best selling and highest rated games of our time, and certainly helped it fly off of the shelves. One of the biggest selling points of Oblivion, were it's amazing screen shots, with lush atmospheres.

I'm not going to say that it was the only thing that made the game as great as it was, but I can guarantee you it certainly helped make a big impression to potential buyers.

Now, take a look at the dungeons in DDO. They are amazing! Mold, slime, webs, dust, bones, rust, chains, ruble, hanging moss, etc. Tons of atmospheric qualities that make the dungeon experience in DDO top notch. And they almost have it with the wilderness areas as well. They just need grass to really top it off and give it that edge. It would really make that much of a difference.

Instead, we have what looks like a steam roller went over every square inch of land in DDO.

Maybe they could have another developer add little bunnies and mice to run around in the grass as well.
    Don't try to make this look like some cutesy, pansy suggestion. Simply adding grass as pictured above would add a level of detail, realism, immersion and atmosphere that would blow peoples minds away. I can assure you, it is the subtle things like this that really do make a huge difference for the immersive experience in a game like this.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sintwar View Post
    Not a chance it would be that simple. Remember that this game includes collision graphics detection, not simplistic rolls like in most games. Every rock and crack already risks interaction with movement and spells. Standing on a step directly next to another player is for example enough to take you out of the line of sight for mass healing spells at times. Look at how sometimes a tiny crack (or an invisible join even) can stop you from walking down a road or up a ladder. Does the grass go in front or behind your avatar? How does it interact with robes vs pant legs?

Pretty skies are easy to paint because you don't touch them, you touch the ground, its in play.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedwin View Post
    Is there any documentation for these .....*cough*.....workers

lol darn you mem

and grass hmm dunno about that I run with some pretty funny people they would spend a lot of time figuring out if its the kind you sit and bask in or the kind you...never mind I got into trouble recently better keep my cheech and chong type jokes to meself lol
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    Not a chance it would be that simple. Remember that this game includes collision graphics detection, not simplistic rolls like in most games. Every rock and crack already risks interaction with movement and spells. Standing on a step directly next to another player is for example enough to take you out of the line of sight for mass healing spells at times. Look at how sometimes a tiny crack (or an invisible join even) can stop you from walking down a road or up a ladder. Does the grass go in front or behind your avatar? How does it interact with robes vs pant legs?

Pretty skies are easy to paint because you don't touch them, you touch the ground, its in play.
    And like I said. It doesn't have to interact with the characters. It can be just a static, client side decoration, which I am sure the existing ground foliage already is. As it is now, you can walk right through plants on the ground, cast through them, it is as if they don't even exist as far as "interaction" is concerned. They are there for nothing more than to help make the atmosphere more atmospheric.

However, my argument is, that what they have, is simply not cutting it. It is not really creating the atmosphere that it could potentially be. As it is now, it looks like you have grass textured wallpapered ground with scattered foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkoHighStar View Post
    but yes not as large and dynamic as seen above
    Why not?

what do you think all those minotaurs eat?

cows eat grass, so many cows means no grass
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Arrow

Sadly, with any suggestion posted on the forums that does not include adding more content/races/classes is the sudden and scathing reply by several AND the possiblity of getting negative Rep.
    -

"No! They won't be able to make more Content/Races/Classes!"
    -
    I do agree a little more ambiance is a good thing. though I wouldn't crack open every area to regrass it all. They redid the harbor not so long ago and it got the same replys in forums right after. But when your there and you read a new person talking about how beautiful the harbor looks... Time well spent. And I don't believe that all production halts because every producer/developer/art person/available hand has to stop what they are working on and do this one type of project, though I may be wrong...
    Last edited by WolfSpirit; 11-25-2009 at 04:36 PM.

~
    If we shrank our solar system to the size of a Quarter, and lay it at your feet, the Milky Way galaxy would still be larger than North America. ~NASA Perspective anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    what do you think all those minotaurs eat?

cows eat grass, so many cows means no grass
    there are no mino's in sorrowdusk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast