Default Allow raids into adventure areas?

Would give raids something to do while waiting for group to fill. (: Also, you could make dq pre-raid a raid. :P

check out the subterrane
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Quote Originally Posted by Kromize View Post
    Would give raids something to do while waiting for group to fill. (: Also, you could make dq pre-raid a raid. :P
    You can always go and kill stuff in the Subterrane - oh wait, they put respawning foes that are difficult to solo near the entrance just to prevent those that join later from catching up to you

I'd suggest allowing raid groups into adventure areas, but making sure Dungeon Scaling makes the mobs an adequate challenge for groups of 7-12 (otherwise groups will abuse this to get extremely fast slayer XP in the Vale and orchard)

A quick and dirty way to do this would be to give every mob +25% hp, +10% melee damage and +5% resistance to vorpals and other no-save death effects* and +1 to all saves, AC, SR and caster level for each player over 6 in the zone.

*This is intended to let monsters survive a little longer, without providing blanket immunities as we (players) all hate them. Vorpals still work, but instead of killing on about one attack in 20, this and the increased difficulty of confirming the critical hit due to higher AC are intended to make Vorpals work on about one attack in 40 in a full raid group.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Yes, it would be a good improvement to allow people to hang out in other instances while waiting for a raid. The devs could help the situation pretty simply by just allowing a person who was already in a 6-man instance to join a raid group, even if further players were obstructed from entering. That's not really satisfying though... the ideal solution would be to allow a character to join 6 and 12 player groups independently...

The problem is the software complexity; it would be difficult to change this stuff now. This is something that should have been covered when DDO was first being designed. But unfortunately, they originally had no raids besides fatty dungeons, which allowed the first few members to go in and get started on the outer bits without waiting for everyone else.

Seems like you're asking for a non instanced open area like Lotro. I don't see that becoming a reality in here, considering the game is mostly designed to be instance only like Guildwars.
    The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

/ signed
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    No one that throws together a bunch of numbers and calls it fact is going to give you and real accurate answer, there's too many variables and it's all biased towards there own personal outlooks on how it should be, not how it is. Numbers are too easy to manipulate.
    So sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotrofan View Post
    Seems like you're asking for a non instanced open area like Lotro. I don't see that becoming a reality in here, considering the game is mostly designed to be instance only like Guildwars.
    Asking for raid groups to go into explorer areas = turning the game into lotro? Really?

How low can you go?

But on that topic, taking out all instancing except for quests and stuff would be really nice. (:

Quote Originally Posted by Lotrofan View Post
    How did you read that? I read that he was asking for raid sized groups to be allowed into INSTANCED slayer areas.

Depending on the slayer area, I would like this. Not only would it give raids stuff to do while filling up, it would give guilds ways to do things in groups larger than 6.
    Proud member of DWAT - Xorian forged, quenched in the blood of butterflies
    Arnn, Duana, Gultyrr, Mahd Bardigan, Ahliriana, Arnnette, Conch Fritter, Jwuana, Thayla, Margaritte da Ville
    God is good, beer is great and women are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlith View Post

Depending on the slayer area, I would like this. Not only would it give raids stuff to do while filling up, it would give guilds ways to do things in groups larger than 6.
    I think this is the main point - the Subterrane and Tempest's Spine are the only content in the game that more than six high level players can always go into together, other raid content has lockout timers and sometimes reflagging.

Of those two, TS is not even remotely entertaining above about level 15, and due to the mediocre loot, exploring the Subterrane was only really popular in the first week or two after it released (although running Garamol remains popular).

Given how long it often takes to fill a ToD group, it would be nice to be able to run something in the interim, but whenever you suggest something like 'this will take 20-30 min to fill, let's run a quick Hound while we wait', one or more people invariably state 'sorry, on timer'.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

I'd be in favor of something similar to what A_D said, allowing players already in 6-man instances to join raid groups.

Really don't want to see the existing 6-man explorers turned into 12-man areas. The Sub hardly works as a 12-man explorer, and I can't imagine the other explorers getting balanced to properly challenge 12 people. As it is, I prefer them being accessible to soloists.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Binding in ataraxia, means you cant enter it as a raid group. (to get to the place your other members are)

So i'd at least say that ataraxia itself should allow raid groups just incase you're bound there and cant get back to your raid.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosprism View Post
    Binding in ataraxia, means you cant enter it as a raid group. (to get to the place your other members are)

So i'd at least say that ataraxia itself should allow raid groups just incase you're bound there and cant get back to your raid.

I don't think making a lvl 9 explorer area is anything remotedly close to needed.Also who the h binds in ataraxia?2 quests, you run them and never go back there.../puzzled

Quote Originally Posted by Battleworm View Post
    I don't think making a lvl 9 explorer area is anything remotedly close to needed.Also who the h binds in ataraxia?2 quests, you run them and never go back there.../puzzled
    Lots of folks like myself, like running all the open areas. So I spend a lot of time in Ataraxia's. Maybe I'm in the minority however.

I do know I'm one of the few folks who have maxed out slayer/rares and expolorers in the Resltess Isles. Even I'm bored there.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Lots of folks like myself, like running all the open areas. So I spend a lot of time in Ataraxia's. Maybe I'm in the minority however.

I do know I'm one of the few folks who have maxed out slayer/rares and expolorers in the Resltess Isles. Even I'm bored there.

I just think every other area but Ataraxia would be better for raid groups.There's no named loot or anything good in ataraxia...Desert?NOW you're talking!

Talking

Asking for raid groups to go into explorer areas = turning the game into lotro? Really?

How low can you go?

But on that topic, taking out all instancing except for quests and stuff would be really nice. (:
    Actually would take a lot more to make DDO even remotely close to Lotro, they could start by removing all hard/elite/epic difficulties and introducing new ones like normal/easy/solo/casual and finally lotro
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. - Plato

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battleworm View Post
    I just think every other area but Ataraxia would be better for raid groups.
    It's not about going to the area but going through it.

Because Ataraxia's Haven contains a single NPC who pays +50% for weapons, armor, and clothing, it is a popular place for some high-level characters to go and sell loot. But if you happen to join a raid group from within the Ataraxia spa then you can't go out the door to leave the zone.

Note that the same problem existed before with Meridia and the Delver's Canteen in Threnal, but both of them had a transport NPC added to get you back to town without entering the surrounding explorer zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Because Ataraxia's Haven contains a single NPC who pays +50% for weapons, armor, and clothing, [snip].
    Whaaaaaaaaat?!

Who?

Where?

When?

edit: it is not +50%. You're way off.
    Last edited by Wizzly_Bear; 12-04-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzly_Bear View Post
    edit: it is not +50%. You're way off.
    Wrong. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Wrong. You have no idea what you're talking about.
    I do as I checked myself. It gives half as much extra as does the brokers, which do not give +100%.

You know what else would be nice, but we'll never get. Remove all instancing except for quests and raids. (:

Allow an option to watch the airship were on fly its path to the desert or restless isles, and jump off if we so please.

etc.

Basically, turn the game into a world, not a maze of instances here and there.