Default Dungon master toolset - but wait theres more

I would like to see a Dungon master toolset implamented where the ueser payed like 5 dollars for unlimted use of it

with that he could desgin new quest-campagins-settings-lands-ect

then he could turn around and make the module f2p or charge like 300-400 points or something and those points would go to him

and if Turbine wanted to he could wave the 5 dollar toolset 1 time fee and just take out like 5-10% of the points from the module cost

I think this would add alot of new stuff to game turbine would still make money witch is good but yeah just random blerting

Community Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Eugney View Post
    I would like to see a Dungon master toolset implamented where the ueser payed like 5 dollars for unlimted use of it

then he could turn around and make the module f2p or charge like 300-400 points or something and those points would go to him

and if Turbine wanted to he could wave the 5 dollar toolset 1 time fee and just take out like 5-10% of the points from the module cost

I think this would add alot of new stuff to game turbine would still make money witch is good but yeah just random blerting
    lol, i would make the whole dragon lance, or forgotten realms modules! o soo want to see those online!

Quote Originally Posted by Eugney View Post

NO way should anyone get that many points turbine would keep like 95% and creators could get maybe 5 per person that bought the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanzookie View Post
    lol, i would make the whole dragon lance, or forgotten realms modules! o soo want to see those online!
    That should never be allowed this is eberron and not DL or FR and I am sure they dont have rights to do those so they would have to disallow the mods

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Default forget dragonlance

Planescape and Darksun!

As much fun as it would be to create custom dungeons, I would only have one (that I can think of) concern... XP exploitation.

For example, what is to stop someone from making super high level/xp quests with nothing but a pit full of mobs, and a lever to turn on a massive fire trap in the pit, killing everything in it within seconds, only to complete the quest for 20K xp within 5 seconds?

Unless you are suggesting that Turbine reviews all maps... *giggle*
    Last edited by Sintwar; 11-19-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Community Member
    Mines of Moria, post Bilbo pre Sauron's attempted return.

The executive producer Fernando Paiz said something about this in a recent interview. Most likely users would create dungeons, then they would be reviewed/tested/tweaked before being released.

Someone called it crowdsourcing.

Default sad sad times

I think I would have rather had dndinsider's virtual tabletop with 2nd and 3rd ed mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Sintwar View Post

Unless you are suggesting that Turbine reviews all maps... *giggle*

That right there should be the quest..worth 20k exp.

In fact your suggestion about a pit of mobs with fire traps sounds almost to much like turbine.

A big no to players getting TP from this, especially if you only payed $5 for to kit and got 500 points.

I'm all for something like CoHs architect system, where you don't really have all that much control, just set some aspects and storyline, but can't make (easily, and if caught leads to punishment) some exploitable quests. Say, you can set what tileset, how long, what kinds of mobs, story info, difficulty, that sort of thing, and depending on all that it decides how much xp and a semi-random layout. Any more control without approval, and it gets exploitable.

COH did implement something like this. It allowed people to create adventures and others to play them. Those that were found to be exploits were shut down.

Cool idea to help add content, But your TP cost to the creator is way to high.

Exclamation

I like this. BUT... with a few SAFETY tweaks to avoid exploits:

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::

* Player_Made_Zones (PMZ) once finalized by player, will be posted in PREVIEW MODE only.

* PMZ when posted for public PREVIEW will NOT grant Exp/Loot/Favor - and will merely offer said preview of the zone.

* When AUTHOR publishes his/her zone for public PREVIEW - There is a tickbox option to flag it as F2P or P2P content for LIVE publishing.

* Weekly or Monthly Turbine can choose TOP 10 zones to "PUBLISH" as LIVE zones. (Turbine has absolute executive decision whether to select your PMZ or not - regardless of reaching TOP 10.)

* IF/Once published/Added to Turbine Store - certain percentage of ROYALTIES per sale (in form of Turbine Points) will be tranferred to AUTHOR's account. Credit to the AUTHOR will always be mentioned in Quest Journal.

* If the AUTHOR opts to create a zone ONLY for F2P - ie NO sales to be made via Turbine Store - then it is again purely Turbine's Choice (regardless of reaching TOP 10) whether to select the said PMZ for LIVE F2P game content.

* Dungeon Designer tools to offer ADDITIONAL TOOLS for uploading CUSTOM:
    *** Voice Overs.
    *** DM Voice.
    *** Animated CUT SCENES.
    *** Textures/Graphic Stills for special items.
    *** Video clips.
    *** Sound Effects.
    These can be uploaded in appropriate WORK FOLDERS when published.
    Full control over MAP/layout design is required. NPC dialogues and special events and triggers. Timed/trigerred special effects and spells/events/cut-scenes/etc.

* PMZ while in PREVIEW MODE can also offer a WORK_IN_PROGRESS FLAG - so people can BETA-TEST them and offer the Author comments on fixing/tweaking things.

* Once a PMZ if finalized and published, Public can VOTE (1 poll per account) on the zones on several categories + comments.

* There will be a REPORT EXPLOIT button on it as well. If a reporter repeatedly INCORRECTLY reports exploit - that account can be actioned against/suspended.

* Once a zone is published - it is removed from the VOTING list to make room for newer PMZ TOP 10's to be determined for Turbine to choose from.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::

Hope this is a workable solution.

Regards.
    Last edited by Duskslayer; 11-23-2009 at 05:39 AM.

Community Member

I guess it could work, but you'd have to go down the route of Mission Architect in City of Heroes, realistically speaking, to prevent people creating easily exploitable or copyrighted material (this isn't Neverwinter Nights recreating the entire Slavers epic is going to considered comerical gain). However maybe you limit the xp gain by the level of the creator character or directly associate reward to specific inbuilt triggers (ie a 1000 xp gain means defeating a CR10 Wraith Boss etc), with traps being set but randomly distributed within the dungeon, and treasure drops being randomised still.

If you have set based rewards and xp linked directly to a selection of goals, it could be achivable

I guess the best manner is to impliment a comments system for review that is show prior to undertaking the quest etc, with a reporting system built in.

Whilst potential for exploitation exists, the potential for griefing is much higher - deathrap and impossible dungeons.

Whilst it could be exploitable, its only really cheating yourself, if you get an XP rush through game to level 20 because you've created XP silly dungeons that keep getting closed down. You're not going to be any more skilled in game, better equiped or better suited to PvP than anyone else.... infact most likely the opposite.

Ennervated,mind blasted,psionically dominated,encased in stone in the subterrane

Hell yah I wanna make that one quest where you get the +5 holy burst vorpal disrupto-smiter of everything bane at the end.

Default Player Created Content

The biggest issue I have with DDO is lack of content. I am sure at least 10% of the playerbase are/were D&D DMs who wrote their own adventures. I would happily pay a one time fee to buy DM tools and get adventures published.

It really is a win/win for DDO. New content and giving players what they really want. I honestly had a dream about a new adventure after reading that the Devs were talking about player created content.

The biggest gripe I have always had about DDO is the lack of content. I hate redoing the same quest once for each character, let alone farming the same stupid quest over and over. DDO quests also seem to be rather short and not very immersive. Again, give it to the old PnP DMs, and you will end up with week long multi-stage epics in no time.

As to the execution, yes some sort of anti-exploit system would have to be in place. Possibly make it part of the week or so long no xp/loot/ect.. voting system. If the GMs get a lot of exploit votes (with explanations), they know they need to look closely at it before it goes live.

#1 issue, DM tools must be easy to use. Initial implementation of NWN toolset was something like 1 hour of work for 1 minute of play, and I never did figure out how to make NPC useful. So a 2 hr quest would have 120 hrs of work. Back in the day there were player owned UO servers with nice and easy to use creator interfaces, I am sure DDO could do much better.

my 2 cents, this should be the highest priority game addition, with the exception of things like giving classes their enhancements and such. I want Druids too, but if I had to pick one, hundreds of hours of new content (not to mention making my own adventures) would win hands down.