Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hall of Famer & Hero DoctorWhofan's Avatar
    Tempest's Spine where my minions bow to my greatness

Default A move bar for monks

I am on my zillionth try playing a monk and I realised why I am having problems playing the class: I dunno what moves I have done!

You see, when I took a short break and tried out LotRO, one of the neat classes was Warden. Wardens (if you are not familiar) have special moves (three of them) and when done in a certain order, gave them abilities. Sound familiar? They also had a bar that would tell you what move that they had done. FOr example, the would taunt the enemy, the taunt icon would flash up in the bar. While I didn't memorise everything they did, I could see the bar icons and start memorising the moves.

I think monk could benefit from something like that. I have no clue what move sometimes I have done, plus if I fumbled a key, I am never sure what I did hit. And the plus side is you would know when it was done-trying to hear the crackle of lightning in battle or looking at it (it's pretty blending in, and thefact I am watching combat, not to mention first person view)

Also, they had a "formula" list of moves (they bought their moves, actually , which is non- important here) in their character sheet that one could look up the moves they have. Kinda like the enhancement page (showing up only if the prereqs were completed-prereqs being air, fire, earth, etc.) THat way old people like me do not have to look up moves during battle on the wiki (sorry borror0! ) or anywhere else.

Just an idea.
    Last edited by DoctorWhofan; 11-16-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

I like this idea a lot... Sometimes I just punch, throw in some combos, but inevitably I forget what I had used, and my special moves reset....

/signed!
    <|| “Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate.” ||>
    AEsahaettr | AlfredSartan | Botharel | PeterMurphy | Weesham etc.

LIEZ! I can't have a good idea! that's against the rules!
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

Sooo...no one else finds this a good idea? darnit all!

Community Member

I like it.

I have a warden over in lotro, and sometimes when button mashing I forgot which buttons I hit.

Community Member Symar-FangofLloth's Avatar

I haven't been able to figure out monks yet, 'cause of this.
    It'd be great. At least the list on the character sheet.
    Former Xoriat-er. Embrace the Madness.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

/signed for extra movie bars

what? Jackie Chan with alcohol at the movie theatre is great...

why you looking at me like that.....

ooops move bar. eh. just finishing moves that matter would be nice.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Community Member

Default I agree

/signed!

I would, however, suggest that the UI element that is created in DDO to facilitate this proposal be made less obtrusive. The UI element for the Warden in Lotro was a little too large, especially the gambit slot on the right. I'd prefer something more minimalist, perhaps something that could sit flush on top of my toolbars.

Quote Originally Posted by Akimitsu View Post
    /signed!

I would, however, suggest that the UI element that is created in DDO to facilitate this proposal be made less obtrusive. The UI element for the Warden in Lotro was a little too large, especially the gambit slot on the right. I'd prefer something more minimalist, perhaps something that could sit flush on top of my toolbars.
    sure, or even a set of orbs with colours coorasponding to your move. Yes, it was annoying in LotRO, that huge bar...

Thumbs up monk meter

I would love to have something like that!
    +1 for joo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
    Turbine would be rich if they sold cure dumb ass pots.

/Signed

and not just cause it's my wife.
    Guild leader of MERC'S ONLY and husband to Trissa
    main-Ashnod alts-Mishra, Phyrexian, Themaster

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    /Signed

and not just cause it's my wife.
    Lucky guy

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    I am on my zillionth try playing a monk and I realised why I am having problems playing the class: I dunno what moves I have done!

You see, when I took a short break and tried out LotRO, one of the neat classes was Warden. Wardens (if you are not familiar) have special moves (three of them) and when done in a certain order, gave them abilities. Sound familiar? They also had a bar that would tell you what move that they had done. FOr example, the would taunt the enemy, the taunt icon would flash up in the bar. While I didn't memorise everything they did, I could see the bar icons and start memorising the moves.

I think monk could benefit from something like that. I have no clue what move sometimes I have done, plus if I fumbled a key, I am never sure what I did hit. And the plus side is you would know when it was done-trying to hear the crackle of lightning in battle or looking at it (it's pretty blending in, and thefact I am watching combat, not to mention first person view)

Also, they had a "formula" list of moves (they bought their moves, actually , which is non- important here) in their character sheet that one could look up the moves they have. Kinda like the enhancement page (showing up only if the prereqs were completed-prereqs being air, fire, earth, etc.) THat way old people like me do not have to look up moves during battle on the wiki (sorry borror0! ) or anywhere else.

Just an idea.
    Hmm, well...
    If you have a monk named scorpion, you can use these:

Special Moves:
    Spear: Back, Back, Attack
    Teleport Punch: Block, Back, Attack
    Forward Teleport Punch: Block, Forward, Attack
    Air Throw: Jump, Trip

Finishing Moves:
    Fatality 1: Block, Block, Jump, Attack
    Fatality 2: Forward, Forward, Back, Attack
    Fatality 3: Forward, Forward, Block, Jump, /taunt
    Animality: Forward, Jump, Jump, Attack
    Babality: Block, Back, Back, Forward, Attack
    Friendship: Back, Forward, Forward, Back, Attack
    Brutality: Attack, Attack, Block, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, /laugh
    Stage: Forward, Jump, Jump, /dance

Community Member

Sooo...no one else finds this a good idea? darnit all!
    Building combos is insufficiently complex and important for a visual display of the status to be helpful.

The monk class might be improved if combos were made more valuable, especially as a component of offensive techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Building combos is insufficiently complex and important for a visual display of the status to be helpful.

The monk class might be improved if combos were made more valuable, especially as a component of offensive techniques.
    Well, I can't remember all the moves, and unless I dig on the wiki or here for the list, then I MIGHT have a chance of pulling one off.

LotRO's Warden move box was so handy. I could see THe move I just did, and the visual helped me memorise the moves and see the pattern. Right now, I feel the monk class is fairly useless to me to play, because I am not getting the full potential out of it.

As for value, they have none, because I cannot excute them without reading a peice of paper in front of me.
    Last edited by DoctorWhofan; 11-20-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromize View Post
    Hmm, well...
    If you have a monk named scorpion, you can use these:

Special Moves:
    Spear: Back, Back, Attack
    Teleport Punch: Block, Back, Attack
    Forward Teleport Punch: Block, Forward, Attack
    Air Throw: Jump, Trip

Finishing Moves:
    Fatality 1: Block, Block, Jump, Attack
    Fatality 2: Forward, Forward, Back, Attack
    Fatality 3: Forward, Forward, Block, Jump, /taunt
    Animality: Forward, Jump, Jump, Attack
    Babality: Block, Back, Back, Forward, Attack
    Friendship: Back, Forward, Forward, Back, Attack
    Brutality: Attack, Attack, Block, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, /laugh
    Stage: Forward, Jump, Jump, /dance

MORTALLLLLLL KOMBAT!!!!!! fight!

Sorry, nice try though!

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

/signed a billion

The hardest problem I have playing my monk is the awkwardness of the the special moves.

I'd also like to add, please please PLEASE don't make climbing break the combo. I can't tell you how many times I'd have a combo set up in Misery's Peak for example, run after a zombie to use Dragon's Breath on it, only to have my character climb up the ice and break the combo. >_<

Community Member

Well, I can't remember all the moves
    People figured them out somehow... they were intentionally not documented by the developers.

Here, look at these. Is this really hard to remember?
    PPP = heal
    WPW = caster buff
    FPF = save/attack buff

It's not as if there are a large number of valuable combo moves out there... honestly, those three are all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    People figured them out somehow... they were intentionally not documented by the developers.

Here, look at these. Is this really hard to remember?
    PPP = heal
    WPW = caster buff
    FPF = save/attack buff

It's not as if there are a large number of valuable combo moves out there... honestly, those three are all you need.
    memory like a seive, man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast