Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The real Veterans thread

Ill keep this simple. This thread is here for people to remember those who give or gave their time, blood, or life in service of their country. So to my brothers and sisters in arms I say:

They Did Their Share

On Veteran’s Day we honor
    Soldiers who protect our nation.
    For their service as our warriors,
    They deserve our admiration.

Some of them were drafted;
    Some were volunteers;
    For some it was just yesterday;
    For some it’s been many years;

In the jungle or the desert,
    On land or on the sea,
    They did whatever was assigned
    To produce a victory.

Some came back; some didn’t.
    They defended us everywhere.
    Some saw combat; some rode a desk;
    All of them did their share.

No matter what the duty,
    For low pay and little glory,
    These soldiers gave up normal lives,
    For duties mundane and gory.

Let every veteran be honored;
    Don’t let politics get in the way.
    Without them, freedom would have died;
    What they did, we can’t repay.

We owe so much to them,
    Who kept us safe from terror,
    So when we see a uniform,
    Let’s say "thank you" to every wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!

(I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

+1, and I really wish I could give more

/signed +1 and anything else that I can say.

Brothers and Sisters we are were/and always will be.

Semper Fi and Bravo Zulu.

/signed.
    Semper Fi!

+1 Rep.

And for my Father...
    (a retired soldier and Korean & VietNam vet)

"Hoowah!!!
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

My son is a veteran.

Many of my DDO friends are veterans.

Thank you, all of you, for your service. We are all in your debt.

Freedom is never free.

This thread is meant in all seriousness. I get that everyone has their own views but really negative rep from someone over this thread?

Someone is that petty?
    Hi welcome!

Arrow

Yo

~
    If we shrank our solar system to the size of a Quarter, and lay it at your feet, the Milky Way galaxy would still be larger than North America. ~NASA Perspective anyone?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    This thread is meant in all seriousness. I get that everyone has their own views but really negative rep from someone over this thread?

Someone is that petty?
    I covered the lost Rep for you!!

Great thread. My Grand father went down in TWO ships in the Pacific during WWII.

Thank you...each and everyone of you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
    But you underestimate my ability to be horribly underpowered for long periods of time for the sake of an emotional attachment to an idea.
    Minstral of Mayhem
    Aces over Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n View Post
    I covered the lost Rep for you!!

Great thread. My Grand father went down in TWO ships in the Pacific during WWII. Thank you...each and everyone of you!
    WEll the rep doesn't really bother me so much. It's the sentiment behind the neg rep that gets me.¢
    Last edited by Zippo; 11-10-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    Hi welcome!

I know. Some people just don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
    But you underestimate my ability to be horribly underpowered for long periods of time for the sake of an emotional attachment to an idea.
    Minstral of Mayhem
    Aces over Kings

Default Do What?

I can't even begin to imagine why somoene would give you negative rep on this thread. T

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n View Post
    I know. Some people just don't get it.
    No they don't
    Hi welcome!

The school I work at just performed an outstanding Veterans day convocation. We had over 90 veterans here from all branches of military. This has become a middle school tradition here in Greenwood. We had full band, choir, and orchestra playing military songs and other American pride themed music. The students were so respectful (most of them anyways). Some veterans honored the USS Indianapolis by having a display of the ship in our foyer. I also witnessed the two bell ceremony. Finally our Band director played a fantastic version of "Taps", it is so much differant hearing it in person.

For all the veterans around the world in all branches and militarys from other countrys.

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by IronAngel; 11-10-2009 at 10:29 AM.

No Worries.

I have drawn my share of fire
    for my support of the troops.

But we fight so they have the FREEDOM to dislike us.

One day, they may understand.

Like all things my friend, this too shall pass...

Don't let it get to you.
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

Thumbs up Salute

/signed.

For my Father...My 1st 18 years of my life was spent as a Military Dep.(Brat) ("Tow the line Boy or it's my backside they kick" "and if that happends guess whos backsides next") I count myself as one of the Lucky ones in Life. I have seen the world with my eyes and seen things 1st hand that that most people just see on the news most of it never made the news. On the other hand I've seen things people could only read and see in books or now a days online,,I lived a life that most wouldnt believe,I saw a band in a Pub named Iron Maiden they had a green old beaten down green truck and after a show we sat on the tailgate having a beer and told lieing stories about woman,I have took a nap at the base of the great egyptian sphinx because it was such a long day,I sat down to take a smoke break from a adventure and found myself leaning back relaxing up against the leaning tower of Pisa,I've walked down a pier to see what band was playing at the blackbar that night and seeing the name Metallica thinking where the heck they came up with a name like that for a band and asking myself do i want to take a chance on seeing such a band (God Bless Cliff).The list is endless the stories at sometimes seem unbelievable to most. So I dont tell my stories of my childhood much,because the 1st thing that always comes to mind are the ones of me sitting in a classroom,Seeing a man or a woman come into the classroom with a purple piece of paper knowing someones parent has passed away,and all you can think of is GOD dont let them want to talk to me out in the haulway,Purple ment death to us growing up,your Father or Mother could have went on a mission and you didnt even know it,and all they will tell you is that they have passed.

(Retired Air Force 21 years full time active service & Vietnam vet) One of the men that did make it home and is still with me. But I think of all the purple papers I have seen walk through a classrom door in my life almost on a daily bases there where to many to count.

God Bless
    ~~The House of Caedes~~Thelanis Server~~Krune~~Krunex~~Krunem~~Krunez~~ & many more " You can have my Dwarven Axe ,When you pry it out of my cold dead hand"~~" May your foes lay at your feet & your coffers be full"~~

Thumbs up

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Zippo and Bekki again."

Thanks to all our service men and women. We wouldn't be here without you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    ~locks Erres in the ancient cage~

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post

Someone is that petty?
    There are a lot of petty people... and apparently, cowardly too.

I think negative rep should require some accountability.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

I humbly thank those in service, and those who have served. hope DDO and the wit on these forums bring some happiness to those who need it. Its the least thing us crazies can do around here.

Quote Originally Posted by IronAngel View Post
    I also witnessed the two bell ceremony. Finally our Band director played a fantastic version of "Taps", it is so much differant hearing it in person.

For all the veterans around the world in all branches and militarys from other countrys.

THANK YOU!
    I have gone to a few military funerals over the last 12 years; one of which was my room mate in Korea. The hardest one though was my mom's father. He spent 23 years in the Navy and retired as a Command Master Chief. At the time of his funeral (he died of a second massive heart attack) I was already out of the Army, strangely enough I was ok through most of the funeral. It wasn't until standing in the pouring rain as a bugler started playing Taps and the firing of the 21 gun salute that I lost it.

On the flip side you sometimes get great stories told by veterans (lol usually the OOOOOLD timers) that can put a little smile on your face. Oddly enough one of my favorites came from my Dad shortly after he got back from Vietnam. When you consider the era and how soldiers/sailors at the time were treated, it really isn't surprising that establishments in the Norfolk and Virginia Beach area (where I grew up at) would have signs on the doors and in the windows saying "No sailors allowed" or "No soldiers allowed". The local governments started contacting the base telling them to keep there military men out of their town. The military decided not to fight with them about but would rather show them how much income and business the sailors brought in. So on payday's (they still used paper checks then) the sailors and soldiers would line up to cash their checks and they would get paid entirely in $2 bills. Well as they would go out on the town , go out to eat, etc they would have to spend their $2 bills. Eventually it got to the point where the local market was flooded with 2 dollar bills and no one had change for anything else. Shortly there after the local governments started telling the establishments to lift their restrictions to military folks.

BTW any stories or just simple comments are welcome from anyone regardless of your country/origin/etc.
    Hi welcome!

+1 rep

Thanks Dad and Grandpa. Vietnam and WWI (Grandpa's not with us anymore).

I served in the Gulf War (1991-1992), but nowhere near their contributions.

/Salute!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast