Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: +/- Rep

Default +/- Rep

I have been playing DDO for a long time as a casual gamer. Only recently have I joined the forums. Most of what I see is great people giving good/bad advice. Even some comedy.

However, there are some posters out there who seem to just dole out negative rep to people becuase you disagree with them. Truthfully I have made an error or two in posting, but have been quick to apolagize and fix my mistake. But there are others using their superior rep to beat down some people because they disagree. Now I don't argue that there are people that desearve it for rude comments and total abuse of the forums. I also see people who are forum friends with others and gang up on you to give negative rep for no real reason.

Just my 2cp on the whole rep system.

if you did a mistake in your post, fixed that but still got a negrep for what in your original msg was, send a pm to that guy (if you know who it is from) and ask him to posrep you cause you made a mistake

had that happen to myself, and strakeln was kind enough to posrep me to negate the negrep...though it took like a week or so till he could posrep me again
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Arrow

I hear about it all the time.
    disagreement = -rep.
    Somehow I've avoided it, though I'm sure it won't last forever. makes you want to disable your rep, post a thread that may get disagreement, then reenable it a few day later when your safe.

But sometimes, I see people posting just to disagree, to argue. Wish I could get my rep up high enough just to dole out justice for these jerks... Some people are just argumentive to be right and deserve a little Neg.
    lol
    Sadly, even giving good advice all the time doesn't seem to add up to much...
    Unless you happen to agree with the high rep people all the time.

~
    If we shrank our solar system to the size of a Quarter, and lay it at your feet, the Milky Way galaxy would still be larger than North America. ~NASA Perspective anyone?

I haven't seen much of that. I'm sure some of that goes on--but overall, the system seems to work well. The people who are busiest at helping are adding up rep. The people that are the biggest flamers are being culled out. There will be a few casualties in the mix. But over time, for frequent posters, it should work itself out.

Many of the times I've seen people get negative rep was either for content OR tone (often times both). There have been a lot of posts that content-wise are fairly neutral. But the tone is combative, not constructive, or otherwise unnecessarily negative. I think some people don't know that they come off that way (or don't care). If you post often enough, you will get at least some negative rep--it is the reality of the system. If it is happening to you a lot, try to go back and read your posts with fresh eyes. It may be that you are coming off in a manner that you didn't intend. The more constructive your posts are, even if they are disagreements, the less likely they will incur negative rep.
    INFERUS SUS Sorcs (Socky, Sockie, Socklin), Rogues (Sockpuppet, Sockum), Clerics (Sockington, Sockase), FVS (Sockle), Intim (Tubesocks), Bards (Sockdolenger, Sockish), Rangers (Sockin, Sockel), Wizzy (Sockut), Kensai (Sockt), Monk (Sockfist), Arty (Sockficer, Sockcraft)

People with neg rep usually deserve it.

Swearing in a post? Neg rep.
    Insulting people who don't deserve it? Neg rep.
    Clinigng to a moron idea when everyone is telling you its a moron idea? Neg rep.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

Community Member
    Mines of Moria, post Bilbo pre Sauron's attempted return.

Disagreeing with certain people in the forum, even when they're wrong or acting dismissive to any new ideas: negrep
    Posting an answer to a question in the post that someone interprets differently: negrep

Some like to use it as a weapon, I myself tend to be very careful about giving it out, and usually only give it to the worst of offenders.
    Fallen former minion of the Gelatinous Cube
    Proud Member of Ascent
    Arko Highstar
    Arckos Highstar

Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    if you did a mistake in your post, fixed that but still got a negrep for what in your original msg was, send a pm to that guy (if you know who it is from) and ask him to posrep you cause you made a mistake

had that happen to myself, and strakeln was kind enough to posrep me to negate the negrep...though it took like a week or so till he could posrep me again
    That is a good idea, but truthfully I have not had that happen yet, for my bad advice. But I will share it with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post

Clinigng to a moron idea when everyone is telling you its a moron idea? Neg rep.
    Agreeing with Lithic? Neg rep.

Dang it!! Now I have to neg rep myself!
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

posting the truth while someone doesnt get it? Neg rep
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Those three ideas I do not diasagree with. However, there are some who give neg rep because you make good points that disagree with them. Some people do use it as a weapon.

WikiGnome

That's usually how I use it and, for a long while, that was true.

Lately, that is less so. I've got neg rep for posts I just can see what made the other poster angry.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Quote Originally Posted by IronAngel View Post
    I have been playing DDO for a long time as a casual gamer. Only recently have I joined the forums. Most of what I see is great people giving good/bad advice. Even some comedy.

However, there are some posters out there who seem to just dole out negative rep to people becuase you disagree with them. Truthfully I have made an error or two in posting, but have been quick to apolagize and fix my mistake. But there are others using their superior rep to beat down some people because they disagree. Now I don't argue that there are people that desearve it for rude comments and total abuse of the forums. I also see people who are forum friends with others and gang up on you to give negative rep for no real reason.

Just my 2cp on the whole rep system.
    High school cafeteria politics, man. Just post your mind, ignore the stupid green/red lights. It's not hard to create a greasemonkey script to hide everyone's rep on my screen (including my own). That way I get to read everyone's post and not bias my opinion except by the content thereof. The only time I give +1 is for the lulz. Same reason I hate "social" places like reddit: people will vote based on agreement (which is NOT the intended purpose) and not based on abuse/overall dooschebagery (like it should be).

Godspeed.

Arrow

Please judge if this deserves negitive Rep?
    Funny, I say it does happen but havent seen it for myself yet and WHAM!

~
    If we shrank our solar system to the size of a Quarter, and lay it at your feet, the Milky Way galaxy would still be larger than North America. ~NASA Perspective anyone?

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by WolfSpirit View Post
    Please judge if [URL="http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2531891&postcount=28"]this
    Nothing neg rep worthy with that post (even though I completely disagree with you).

PS: The problem with traps is not that they are too easy. It's that they are damaging obstacles, not traps.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Community Member
    Mines of Moria, post Bilbo pre Sauron's attempted return.

Yours is no worse than this http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=210453. . .

My post is http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...98#post2517798, I thought the OP was talking about the symbol box next to a players name in the "who" tab. . .the OP was actually talking about the wings that come out of an avatar's back.

-30 rep

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chonas View Post
    Disagreeing with certain people in the forum, even when they're wrong or acting dismissive to any new ideas: negrep
    Posting an answer to a question in the post that someone interprets differently: negrep
    Totally agree with you here..this happens often

Quote Originally Posted by ArkoHighStar View Post
    Some like to use it as a weapon .
    Definitely...which is ridiculous but it is what it is. Most of the people that do have the ability to give the neg rep seem to be fair with an exception of one..or a few lol. Even though you should be able to reply to whatever post you'd like to...I tend to stay away from certain ones that have certain people involved. Only because of problems I've had in the past....no matter what was said...this person was right..blah blah. Not long after that I got my 1 and only warning. I just learned to ignore that person and any post they are involved in. It has worked so far . So..for the most part I think the rep system works fairly well.
    Retired: Forum slacker

Quote Originally Posted by bartcom2000 View Post
    ...and i do swallow!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    Nothing neg rep worthy with that post (even though I completely disagree with you).

PS: The problem with traps is not that they are too easy. It's that they are damaging obstacles, not traps.
    -
    Well thats all cool, but I shouldn't be punished.
    And I've disagreed with you plenty of times( The freedom to use FvS as Melee if I chose being top of my memory) and never once got neg rep dispite getting heated at one time.
    So how do we punish the transgressor?
    Last edited by WolfSpirit; 11-03-2009 at 02:05 PM.

~

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Many of us argued against a rep system because the use can be petty.

As more people increase their rep level over time more people will be able to give neg rep, which means more people who can do stupid things with it sometimes.

As others have said I tend to use neg rep only for posts that are rude, insulting, or aggressive. I will not neg rep just because I disagree with you unless when I make my point you counter punch with something that qualifies as rude, insulting, aggressive. Occasionally I will give neg rep if I think the advice is so devistatingly bad that I think it needs to be identified as such...but that's a pretty rare one.

I also have no problem giving pos rep to that person later.

I have been known to give pos rep out for things I disagreed with, but particularily well made posts. For example there was some great debate in reincarnation threads and I gave props to some people that I didn't agree with but who really made their case. The same for past discussions on guild housing and "fluff" issues.

I give out way more pos rep than negative.

If the rep system disappeared tomorrow, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

One thing the rep system does however do is sometimes it stops me from feeding the trolls. I see something particularily offensive/moronic and I just neg rep it instead of engaging in a flame war. Sometimes I still cant resist, but it has stopped some wars I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chonas View Post
    Yours is no worse than this http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=210453. . .

My post is http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...98#post2517798, I thought the OP was talking about the symbol box next to a players name in the "who" tab. . .the OP was actually talking about the wings that come out of an avatar's back.

-30 rep
    Yeah, that's not what I'd call neg reppable. If you were to persist and say that (despite clarification from others that he's talking about the actual animation, not the symbol), then future statements of the same may be negable due to your own bullheaddedness. But you didn't so it isn't.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast