Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: +/- Rep

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Community Member IronAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    557

    Default +/- Rep

    I have been playing DDO for a long time as a casual gamer. Only recently have I joined the forums. Most of what I see is great people giving good/bad advice. Even some comedy.

    However, there are some posters out there who seem to just dole out negative rep to people becuase you disagree with them. Truthfully I have made an error or two in posting, but have been quick to apolagize and fix my mistake. But there are others using their superior rep to beat down some people because they disagree. Now I don't argue that there are people that desearve it for rude comments and total abuse of the forums. I also see people who are forum friends with others and gang up on you to give negative rep for no real reason.

    Just my 2cp on the whole rep system.

  2. #2
    Community Member Visty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8,985

    Default

    if you did a mistake in your post, fixed that but still got a negrep for what in your original msg was, send a pm to that guy (if you know who it is from) and ask him to posrep you cause you made a mistake

    had that happen to myself, and strakeln was kind enough to posrep me to negate the negrep...though it took like a week or so till he could posrep me again
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    0
    *insert axe*
    o o

  3. #3
    Uber Completionist Lithic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    7,959

    Default

    People with neg rep usually deserve it.


    Swearing in a post? Neg rep.
    Insulting people who don't deserve it? Neg rep.
    Clinigng to a moron idea when everyone is telling you its a moron idea? Neg rep.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Mines of Moria, post Bilbo pre Sauron's attempted return.
    Posts
    1,744

    Default

    Disagreeing with certain people in the forum, even when they're wrong or acting dismissive to any new ideas: negrep
    Posting an answer to a question in the post that someone interprets differently: negrep

  5. #5

    Default

    Some like to use it as a weapon, I myself tend to be very careful about giving it out, and usually only give it to the worst of offenders.
    Fallen former minion of the Gelatinous Cube
    Proud Member of Ascent
    Arko Highstar
    Arckos Highstar

  6. #6
    Community Member Caine52184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chonas View Post
    Disagreeing with certain people in the forum, even when they're wrong or acting dismissive to any new ideas: negrep
    Posting an answer to a question in the post that someone interprets differently: negrep
    Totally agree with you here..this happens often

    Quote Originally Posted by ArkoHighStar View Post
    Some like to use it as a weapon .
    Definitely...which is ridiculous but it is what it is. Most of the people that do have the ability to give the neg rep seem to be fair with an exception of one..or a few lol. Even though you should be able to reply to whatever post you'd like to...I tend to stay away from certain ones that have certain people involved. Only because of problems I've had in the past....no matter what was said...this person was right..blah blah. Not long after that I got my 1 and only warning. I just learned to ignore that person and any post they are involved in. It has worked so far . So..for the most part I think the rep system works fairly well.
    Retired: Forum slacker

    Quote Originally Posted by bartcom2000 View Post
    ...and i do swallow!

  7. #7
    Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17,766

    Default

    Many of us argued against a rep system because the use can be petty.

    As more people increase their rep level over time more people will be able to give neg rep, which means more people who can do stupid things with it sometimes.

    As others have said I tend to use neg rep only for posts that are rude, insulting, or aggressive. I will not neg rep just because I disagree with you unless when I make my point you counter punch with something that qualifies as rude, insulting, aggressive. Occasionally I will give neg rep if I think the advice is so devistatingly bad that I think it needs to be identified as such...but that's a pretty rare one.

    I also have no problem giving pos rep to that person later.

    I have been known to give pos rep out for things I disagreed with, but particularily well made posts. For example there was some great debate in reincarnation threads and I gave props to some people that I didn't agree with but who really made their case. The same for past discussions on guild housing and "fluff" issues.

    I give out way more pos rep than negative.

    If the rep system disappeared tomorrow, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

    One thing the rep system does however do is sometimes it stops me from feeding the trolls. I see something particularily offensive/moronic and I just neg rep it instead of engaging in a flame war. Sometimes I still cant resist, but it has stopped some wars I'm sure.

  8. #8
    I <3 DDO Pwesiela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...I think...
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    People with neg rep usually deserve it.


    Swearing in a post? Neg rep.
    Insulting people who don't deserve it? Neg rep.
    Clinigng to a moron idea when everyone is telling you its a moron idea? Neg rep.
    Agreeing with Lithic? Neg rep.

    Dang it!! Now I have to neg rep myself!
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

  9. #9
    Community Member Visty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    People with neg rep usually deserve it.


    Swearing in a post? Neg rep.
    Insulting people who don't deserve it? Neg rep.
    Clinigng to a moron idea when everyone is telling you its a moron idea? Neg rep.
    posting the truth while someone doesnt get it? Neg rep
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    0
    *insert axe*
    o o

  10. #10
    Community Member IronAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    People with neg rep usually deserve it.


    Swearing in a post? Neg rep.
    Insulting people who don't deserve it? Neg rep.
    Clinigng to a moron idea when everyone is telling you its a moron idea? Neg rep.
    Those three ideas I do not diasagree with. However, there are some who give neg rep because you make good points that disagree with them. Some people do use it as a weapon.

  11. #11
    Uber Completionist Lithic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    7,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronAngel View Post
    Those three ideas I do not diasagree with. However, there are some who give neg rep because you make good points that disagree with them. Some people do use it as a weapon.
    With a few exceptions, the ones with the 1500rep points necessary to actually give out neg rep are mature enough to avoid acting like tantrumic 2 year olds... most days at least

    If someone with less than 1500pts tries to give you neg rep, your rep won't change, and you get a little blue box saying "some noob tried to neg rep you but got denied"
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

  12. #12
    Community Member IronAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    With a few exceptions, the ones with the 1500rep points necessary to actually give out neg rep are mature enough to avoid acting like tantrumic 2 year olds... most days at least

    If someone with less than 1500pts tries to give you neg rep, your rep won't change, and you get a little blue box saying "some noob tried to neg rep you but got denied"
    Maybe we should have a list of poeple to avoid. You know those that tend to be a little more neg rep happy. That way those of us out here having a good time can avoid them in threads.

  13. #13
    Community Member Junts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    With a few exceptions, the ones with the 1500rep points necessary to actually give out neg rep are mature enough to avoid acting like tantrumic 2 year olds... most days at least

    If someone with less than 1500pts tries to give you neg rep, your rep won't change, and you get a little blue box saying "some noob tried to neg rep you but got denied"
    Thats not what the blue box means; the blue box means someone tried to give you rep but had so little and you had so much they were unable to give you a positive increase.

  14. #14
    WikiGnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Québec City, Canada
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    People with neg rep usually deserve it.


    Swearing in a post? Neg rep.
    Insulting people who don't deserve it? Neg rep.
    Clinigng to a moron idea when everyone is telling you its a moron idea? Neg rep.
    That's usually how I use it and, for a long while, that was true.

    Lately, that is less so. I've got neg rep for posts I just can see what made the other poster angry.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

  15. #15
    Community Member Aerniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    texas!!
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    People with neg rep usually deserve it.


    Swearing in a post? Neg rep.
    Insulting people who don't deserve it? Neg rep.
    Clinigng to a moron idea when everyone is telling you its a moron idea? Neg rep.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=211741
    hilarious

  16. #16
    Community Member Gunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NYC Metro
    Posts
    6,159

    Default

    How do I negative rep myself?

  17. #17
    WikiGnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Québec City, Canada
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
    How do I negative rep myself?
    Wait, weren't you banned? Well, um, welcome back?
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

  18. #18
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Behind you with a claw hammer
    Posts
    25,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
    How do I negative rep myself?
    Yeah WB


    Beware the Sleepeater

  19. #19
    Community Member IronAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    if you did a mistake in your post, fixed that but still got a negrep for what in your original msg was, send a pm to that guy (if you know who it is from) and ask him to posrep you cause you made a mistake

    had that happen to myself, and strakeln was kind enough to posrep me to negate the negrep...though it took like a week or so till he could posrep me again
    That is a good idea, but truthfully I have not had that happen yet, for my bad advice. But I will share it with others.

  20. #20
    Community Member WolfSpirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central New York State
    Posts
    1,441

    Arrow

    I hear about it all the time.
    disagreement = -rep.
    Somehow I've avoided it, though I'm sure it won't last forever. makes you want to disable your rep, post a thread that may get disagreement, then reenable it a few day later when your safe.

    But sometimes, I see people posting just to disagree, to argue. Wish I could get my rep up high enough just to dole out justice for these jerks... Some people are just argumentive to be right and deserve a little Neg.
    lol
    Sadly, even giving good advice all the time doesn't seem to add up to much...
    Unless you happen to agree with the high rep people all the time.

    ~
    If we shrank our solar system to the size of a Quarter, and lay it at your feet, the Milky Way galaxy would still be larger than North America. ~NASA Perspective anyone?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload