Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: +/- Rep

Arrow

Well i'm giving positive rep to everyone in this thread that got wacked wrongly. maybe it will help a bit...
    Till i run out of rep to give... (Sorry if I missed anyone)

~
    If we shrank our solar system to the size of a Quarter, and lay it at your feet, the Milky Way galaxy would still be larger than North America. ~NASA Perspective anyone?

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

I have seen most posters who are able to give out negative rep do so sparingly, with a few exceptions. Of the times I have seen it given, it is usually to a new person and they have the red box; and generally they deserved it as they came on the forums flaming from the start.

As for anyone else? How can you tell other than through your own count? It just isn't worth thinking about, imo. Overall, I have found the big rep people to be generous in giving their rep, especially to those who do not have much, when they contribute to the dialogues here.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Quote Originally Posted by IronAngel View Post
    I have been playing DDO for a long time as a casual gamer. Only recently have I joined the forums. Most of what I see is great people giving good/bad advice. Even some comedy.

However, there are some posters out there who seem to just dole out negative rep to people becuase you disagree with them. Truthfully I have made an error or two in posting, but have been quick to apolagize and fix my mistake. But there are others using their superior rep to beat down some people because they disagree. Now I don't argue that there are people that desearve it for rude comments and total abuse of the forums. I also see people who are forum friends with others and gang up on you to give negative rep for no real reason.

Just my 2cp on the whole rep system.
    don't worry bout it, weather they should or shoulnd't give out neg rep really matters not. the fact that they can makes em feel special, so they need a way to over come the little person syndrome they suffer from.
    see neg rep on this post. lol
    who da one suffering from little person syndrome i wonder.
    Last edited by BLAKROC; 11-03-2009 at 03:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    Dooo00000ooooo000mmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by IronAngel View Post
    Those three ideas I do not diasagree with. However, there are some who give neg rep because you make good points that disagree with them. Some people do use it as a weapon.
    With a few exceptions, the ones with the 1500rep points necessary to actually give out neg rep are mature enough to avoid acting like tantrumic 2 year olds... most days at least

If someone with less than 1500pts tries to give you neg rep, your rep won't change, and you get a little blue box saying "some noob tried to neg rep you but got denied"
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

meh, Neg rep happens. I feel that I've probably earned all of my Neg rep...
    Epic Destiny Planner - http://ddodestiny.info
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    With a few exceptions, the ones with the 1500rep points necessary to actually give out neg rep are mature enough to avoid acting like tantrumic 2 year olds... most days at least

If someone with less than 1500pts tries to give you neg rep, your rep won't change, and you get a little blue box saying "some noob tried to neg rep you but got denied"
    Maybe we should have a list of poeple to avoid. You know those that tend to be a little more neg rep happy. That way those of us out here having a good time can avoid them in threads.

People with neg rep usually deserve it.

Swearing in a post? Neg rep.
    Insulting people who don't deserve it? Neg rep.
    Clinigng to a moron idea when everyone is telling you its a moron idea? Neg rep.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=211741
    hilarious

How do I negative rep myself?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfSpirit View Post
    Please judge if this deserves negitive Rep?
    Funny, I say it does happen but havent seen it for myself yet and WHAM!
    You think that's bad I got neg rep for this:

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=19
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!

(I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
    How do I negative rep myself?
    Wait, weren't you banned? Well, um, welcome back?
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

I also follow the example others have pointed out. I only neg rep for insulting, rude or aggressive behavior.

Unfortunately there are some who people have butted heads with and hold grudges that will neg rep whenever possible.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    You think that's bad I got neg rep for this:

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=19
    I got neg rep for a similar comment. There are just those that hate the idea of having rogues, I guess. Do we not want to see all characters succeed?

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldKiller View Post
    I also follow the example others have pointed out. I only neg rep for insulting, rude or aggressive behavior.

Unfortunately there are some who people have butted heads with and hold grudges that will neg rep whenever possible.
    I think I have met some of them

I dont really get the reputation thing. What does it actually do? Does it have any impact on in game characters?

When this system was implemented I believe I was one of the many who knew it would swing towards popularity and pettiness. I have enough points to neg rep and have neg rep'ed people who Ive seen behave belligerent or even worst the internet tough guy syndrome.

but thats only if I even bother with such posts in the first place and I much prefer positive repping people who help with posts or who make me smile. Ive been neg repped before it comes with having strong opinions that I wont change for anyone. I know the rep I got was from people who think "oh my god this chick is annoying" and you know what wont change how I think or what I choose to post if I find it relevant.

I think the main problem with a rep system in a game forums is many people play games to feel good about themselves and their skills. Giving people the power even threw something silly as a green or red box can cause a lot of trouble amongst people who are sometimes considered social misfits. And before people get on their high horses and go "no way im cool I have x,y and z" If you think about it a lot of us gamers (im including myself) are not what you would call the norm of society. I know that im different from others and choose to embrace it but I can see how some may not be able to handle it and use any little bit of power they get to feel better about themselves.

Well long diatribe aside I wouldnt worry about rep to much to me its not a big deal unless you really worry about having a good rep in a game forums. If you post things that are helpful that are not complete wastes type you'll see your rep go up. If not you'll have to learn to deal with what you get or just turn rep off and run around with the dark box.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
    When this system was implemented I believe I was one of the many who knew it would swing towards popularity and pettiness. I have enough points to neg rep and have neg rep'ed people who Ive seen behave belligerent or even worst the internet tough guy syndrome.

but thats only if I even bother with such posts in the first place and I much prefer positive repping people who help with posts or who make me smile. Ive been neg repped before it comes with having strong opinions that I wont change for anyone. I know the rep I got was from people who think "oh my god this chick is annoying" and you know what wont change how I think or what I choose to post if I find it relevant.

I think the main problem with a rep system in a game forums is many people play games to feel good about themselves and their skills. Giving people the power even threw something silly as a green or red box can cause a lot of trouble amongst people who are sometimes considered social misfits. And before people get on their high horses and go "no way im cool I have x,y and z" If you think about it a lot of us gamers (im including myself) are not what you would call the norm of society. I know that im different from others and choose to embrace it but I can see how some may not be able to handle it and use any little bit of power they get to feel better about themselves.

Well long diatribe aside I wouldnt worry about rep to much to me its not a big deal unless you really worry about having a good rep in a game forums. If you post things that are helpful that are not complete wastes type you'll see your rep go up. If not you'll have to learn to deal with what you get or just turn rep off and run around with the dark box.

So there are no prizes or anything for highest rep?

You may get a title if you get enough but dont think so never really cared. I know a lot of the pos rep I get is from my wise arse comments specially when someone is stuck on stupid and I let them know as much. But as far as I know getting up to commended only means I can give out pos rep that gives more then regular pos rep or I can neg rep.

The whole system is both interesting yet flawed and I know that when im having a bad day its best for me now to avoid the forums due to me not wanting to neg people based off emotions.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

I have a question, that i can't seem to find the answer to:

When i go to my user CP, usually i see little green boxes next to posts i was particularly proud of (Yay! This makes me extra happy ^_^!)

When i check it today, i have two grey/black boxes. Is this negaitve rep? I thought negative rep was red? And i though grey/block boxes were "Opt out" or neutral... did someone give me zero rep o_O?

One of my posts was laden with sarcasm regarding the DDO store, and the possibility of buying fully equipped level 20 characters. It was purely for giggles, but it was certianly snarky, so i can see someone giving negative rep. EDIT: THIS is the snarky post, for anyone who cares. I don't think its neg rep worthy, but I'll take my licks for being a smartass :P

The other was THIS POST, which is the post that I've spent the most time trying to be accurate and helpful with, and that I'm personally most proud of, which is why I'm very confused about by whom/why it got blackboxed . Unless blackboxing isn't bad, in which case, I'm seriously confused!
    Last edited by Brennie; 11-08-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Thats not what the blue box means; the blue box means someone tried to give you rep but had so little and you had so much they were unable to give you a positive increase.

I can't give out neg rep but I have recieved neg rep for a posting. I earned that neg rep on that particular post and still stand by my statement in that posting and am proud of that particular neg rep.

I give out pos rep for funny stuff and threads that I think are interesting, and on a whim.

I have reached my limit for this 24 hours otherwise I would pos rep you.(Just a whim)

I will give out pos rep for ideas that I may not agree with but if the person has been civil in conversation then I will still give out pos rep.

I have wanted to give out neg rep for very few, less than the fingers on one hand, but they deserve it.

If you don't want neg rep, just don't step on toes to hard. No one likes a troll unless everyone is getting on the troll pile.

If you post something that you feel strongly about and get neg rep, be proud of that neg rep and stand by your statement.
    Disappointed and without trust in the powers that be.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Fansites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast