Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    Yeah, if you're doing a melee-focused FvS do NOT skimp on those skills. I'm doing an Evoker FvS and I greatly value UMD skill and Concentration so I don't have any points in jump/tumble/balance. You can work around those issues but on a melee FvS I'd rather work around losing a few points of dex or wisdom than work around the issues you get from having a low jump or balance. It's honestly my only disappointment with the Evoker build and if I did a 36-point Evoker it would have an 11 or 12 (on a human - 13/14 otherwise) just to fit in those skills.
    I have both an evoker FvS and melee FvS and I have to agree with the above. When you focus more on melee, it is much harder to avoid the balance and jump needs compared to a caster, when you generally maneuver to avoid everything. When you are trying to get/stay in melee range in means you have to jump over other mobs and get tripped.

I finally fixed my stupid "experiment" where I swaped out the power attack enhancements for improved empower enhancements. a real noticable difference to DPS.

I also got rid of empower spell and swapped it for improved critical. I am going to try some non greensteel weaps such as stat damagers in epics to see how it works. As for losing empower spell, I hardly notice the difference, between maxi + empower spell VS just maximized spells. I just keep maximize on most of the time instead.

edited the original post to reflect these changes.

-JR
    Mellkor Wizard, Culpepper Cleric, Coyle Warlock, Anarion Mechanic Archer, Ungoliant, Assassin, Tulkas Astaldo Vanguard Pally,
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

What alignment do you suggest for this build?

Also, i was thinking of a starting Dex 10, Wis 9 (and a +1 tome at beggining) and Int 14.

And thanks for sharing this build with us, helps a lot!

I went Neutral good, but really any alignment doesnt offer much of an advantage over any other one, so just pick the one you want. I picked good alignment just to be able to use "of good" weapons while leveling up.

-JR
    Mellkor Wizard, Culpepper Cleric, Coyle Warlock, Anarion Mechanic Archer, Ungoliant, Assassin, Tulkas Astaldo Vanguard Pally,
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

update for me, I'm about to hit level 13. I started with a 10 base wisdom, I haven't eaten a wisdom tome yet and only wearing +4 wis item and my maxxed BB is still tearing the hell out of mobs in tougher fights, and has been a great augment to my very respectable melee prowess. I'm pulling off things with this character that I wouldn't even dream of trying on any other character class. By the way... is Turbine still bound by contract to WotC's ruleset? y'know... in case they thought this was too powerful or something...?

Quote Originally Posted by Mellkor View Post
    Feats more or less in order taken:

Extend
    Power Attack
    Quicken Spell
    Improved Critical: slashing
    Empower Healing
    Toughness
    Maximize (swapped from adamantine body)
    You cant take IC:S at level 9 because you need BAB+8. At level 9 you only have BAB+6. Might want to revise this to have them more accurately in order for noobs like myself who cant decide what to take instead.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArichValtrahn View Post
    You cant take IC:S at level 9 because you need BAB+8. At level 9 you only have BAB+6. Might want to revise this to have them more accurately in order for noobs like myself who cant decide what to take instead.
    I would probably move maximize to level 9, it is really nice to be able to drop maximized MCLW on people once you get your 5th level spells. Quicken is nice to have at 12 once you have heal, but you can probably hold out to level 15, so picking up IC:slash at 12 is probably ideal.

It is worth noting that he switched around his feats while leveling up, so the feat order hasn't really been tested to take while leveling. You might find things easier to switch things around. For example, I didn't find myself getting much value out of Extend, and I recently switched back to Adamantine Body (despite some reservations, including a lower balance check) and am much happier.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus1000 View Post
    I would probably move maximize to level 9, it is really nice to be able to drop maximized MCLW on people once you get your 5th level spells. Quicken is nice to have at 12 once you have heal, but you can probably hold out to level 15, so picking up IC:slash at 12 is probably ideal.

It is worth noting that he switched around his feats while leveling up, so the feat order hasn't really been tested to take while leveling. You might find things easier to switch things around. For example, I didn't find myself getting much value out of Extend, and I recently switched back to Adamantine Body (despite some reservations, including a lower balance check) and am much happier.
    That's the worst part about adamantite body and had me running for the hills on it with my first attempt at a Lord of the Blades. I didn't have any balance skill on it and the adamantite body gave me a balance score of -6. That does NOT cut it. Only a problem though if you're not funneling points to balance.

Yeah I swapped a lot of feats around experimenting with this feat and that feat, so I am not quite sure what order certain feats can be attained. I will edit the original post to reflect this info tho. Thanks.

I recently got the SoS shard from the epic dragon raid. I am going to be pushing hard to get my hands on an epic SoS. I will let you know how it works out when I get it!

-JR
    Last edited by Mellkor; 02-13-2010 at 04:38 PM.
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    That's the worst part about adamantite body and had me running for the hills on it with my first attempt at a Lord of the Blades. I didn't have any balance skill on it and the adamantite body gave me a balance score of -6. That does NOT cut it. Only a problem though if you're not funneling points to balance.
    I agree, that's what lead me to drop Adamantine Body initially. However the hit on survivability is just too much at low levels. (It is also what lead me to like my Elf 18/2 build more). I came back to him and am leveling him up casually now, but it helped to find some gear for him. Pick up a balance ring or boots (hobnob is great from Co6 if you can get it). I also have 4 pairs of Anger's Step boots from Korthos so that I don't really need striders. I'd also place skill points into balance. Your jump skill also takes a big hit, so you need to find an item for that.

I guess it balances out the fact that you don't need to find a Proof of Poison or Disease Immunity Item.

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

I have to say that Favoured Soul is one of my favourite classes, and I rolled a Warforged FvS based loosely on this last night (vet statused to level 4). I have it say it's pretty fun so far, tearing through pretty much anything with a Greatsword then being able to heal a party is very nice. Seems to me it'd be very effective at soloing content which appeals to me greatly.

Only things I did differently were the stats (16/12/16/14/6/12) and I'm planning on some different enhancements. Wand/Scroll Mastery instead of Toughness enhancements (levels 3 and 4 being the main ones) is the main one. I figure in a group my DPS won't be high enough to have aggro often (and if it does a Quickened Heal/Cure can keep me standing) and solo dungeon scaling will help with the survivability that way. Also the wand/scroll mastery should help me out when I UMD repair wands, or if I need to start using scrolls/wands in a group for some reason.

*Shrugs.*

EDIT: Anyone find Bladesworn Transformation useful...ever? Just curious.
    Last edited by AylinIsAwesome; 02-18-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Have fun with it!

I predict you will drop wand/scroll mastery like a hot potato(e) around level 16.

I tried out bladesworn transformation a few times. It simply gets you or someone else killed because you cant heal or cast while it is active. AND it doenst make much difference, it seemed to me.

-JR
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Made some minor changes to spell list and edited original post.

I swapped summon Monster V for raise dead becasue sometimes spell timer is an issue with true resurection, so i use raise dead as a back up as well as ressurection scrolls.

I swapped energy drain for summon monster IX. I just wasnt using energy drain much, and I get a lot more mileage with the level 9 summon spell, especially with the recent changes to Summon Monster spells.

-JR
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

I got my hands on a Torq from demon queen. This item is awsome! I have changed around my equipment so I can wear this all the time. I am also tweaking my greensteel helm (which I will be making after 2 more shroud runs). Instead of heavy fort on the helm, I am going concordant opposition, and wearing heavy fort on my belt (swap out arch magi belt after buffing), eventually the plain heavy fort belt will be replaced with an epic dragon belt or some other uber belt with heavy fort on it.

With one of the hound shields and the torq, I can turtle up with 37 DR and slowly refill my spell points just by letting some trash mobs beat on me for a while with very little damage to myself! I currently have 1 concord op item, soon to have 2, ultimately I will be able to always wear 3 concord op items plus the torq for some very nice spell replenishment abilities. I can actually gain SP faster than I use healing myself while doing this. and while just plain old meleeing as usual occasionally get SP back! Very potent combo for a melee caster. Get beat on while doing your thing and gain SP!! during raids get a few trash mobs to beat on you while doing the main healing!

I am still working on epic SoS (just need the seal) and still havent got lucky with either of the ToD rings i need despite many runs

edited original post to reflect these changes.

-JR
    Last edited by Mellkor; 03-09-2010 at 07:35 AM.
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Community Member

Hey Mellkor, great build, i like it, i m close to cap my first char, so i started looking for options for my second, and i like the dps+healer+buffer concept a lot, so, after searching the forum, it seems that your build, and the fvs18/monk2 elf twf are both pretty good for that goal. So, my question is, which one has a higher DPS? or they are pretty similar? of course both have their advantajes and disadvantajes, but if one has clearly better dps than the other, that could help make the decision much easier.
    How compares this build DPS against a pure DPS one? i mean, is 75%? 50% 90%? (aproximately of course)

About your particular build a couple questions: its max balance really needed? i think i would put max ranks on umd and concentration, and distribute some points on jump and balance, so i can start with int 11.

The greatsowrds enhancements compensate/are better than the falchion expanded crit range?

I know you dont have room for all the thf feats, but its taking just one worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gercho View Post
    How compares this build DPS against a pure DPS one? i mean, is 75%? 50% 90%? (aproximately of course)
    Comparing to a pure fighter, this build has roughly 30-40% of the fighters melee DPS.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaxeyu View Post
    Comparing to a pure fighter, this build has roughly 30-40% of the fighters melee DPS.
    Is there any self healing build that is significantively better than that?

Is there any self healing build that is significantively better than that?
    Yes. Rangers and paladins. And anyone with UMD.
    FS is a very bad class for selfhealing melees. If you don't play on all their strengths you will be a wasted slot.

Community Member

Well, i do have a paladin splashing rogue with max umd, i wanted FVS mainly for soloing (self healing with umd while soloing is expensive, for your first char at least), i like killing things with a weapon, though i certainly want to take advantage of BB even if i dont have a high dc, if i m in a group, a melee fvs can still be main healer if needed, so i wont take a dps slot but contribute some dps when the healing is not needed. Obviously, though i wont be a main dps, i would like to have the highest dps that i can attain without sacrificing healing.

Community Member

Well, i do have a paladin splashing rogue with max umd, i wanted FVS mainly for soloing (self healing with umd while soloing is expensive, for your first char at least), i like killing things with a weapon, though i certainly want to take advantage of BB even if i dont have a high dc, if i m in a group, a melee fvs can still be main healer if needed, so i wont take a dps slot but contribute some dps when the healing is not needed. Obviously, though i wont be a main dps, i would like to have the highest dps that i can attain without sacrificing healing.
    I'm not entirely sure that 30-40% is accurate, but it might be. My calculations show that the best dps FvS build (2/18) does about 60-70% of a primary dps build, and this build does about 70% of that, so, we are talking closer to 42-49% of a primary dps build. Remember that "primary dps" calculations are usually done with Haste boosts and sneak attack and all that which doesn't actually always apply.

This is a great build. I would describe it as "healbot with decent melee," because the primary strength of the build is that doesn't sacrifice ANY healing ability, while still allowing for some decent dps, certainly good enough to solo a lot of content. If you face certain content that doesn't allow you to dps (due to trips, cleaves, lack of evasion, madstoning mob, balance problems, etc), you can always backout and contribute and still be as effective as any healbot. The melee ability is purely bonus to a group.

Of course, that is up until you get Epic SoS. If any of my characters manage that, I'd probably end up TR to this build.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast