Community Member

Default Fix Potions/Clickies

It saddens me potions of Bulls/Owls, as well as clickies don't overcome item bonuses. So what's the deal with the high prices on them? Fix them so they stack, as the spells do, or lower the prices and make sure the description states it. As of now, if you have a bonus of +4, on any item you receive no bonus from a Bull Strength pot. It seriously makes them useless for lower-mid, to higher levels. While low level newbies can hardly afford a decent amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Azmode View Post
    It saddens me potions of Bulls/Owls, as well as clickies don't overcome item bonuses. So what's the deal with the high prices on them? Fix them so they stack, as the spells do, or lower the prices and make sure the description states it. As of now, if you have a bonus of +4, on any item you receive no bonus from a Bull Strength pot. It seriously makes them useless for lower-mid, to higher levels. While low level newbies can hardly afford a decent amount.
    They're working as intended. They both provide a like bonus (enhancement, in this case) which, generally do not stack.

And yes, they are supposed to be useless at higher levels. Just like the majority of lower level spells.
    THELANIS - Chief Scientist of DARPA
    Ravinex: Bard 18/Fighter 2 - Krotus: 20 Fighter - Hemium: Ranger 18/Fighter 2 - Stema: Favoured Soul 11 - Hemios: Ranger 15/Fighter 1/Monk 1

Fix them so they stack, as the spells do, or lower the prices and make sure the description states it.
    The spells don't stack with items either.

Only the highest of any type of bonus applies, be it armor, enchantment, deflection, morale, etc. The only ones that DO stack are dodge and circumstance bonuses, and only in odd ways (for instance, you can have +1, +2, +3 and +4 dodge bonuses that stack, but two +2's won't).

The spells don't stack with items in PnP, either.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lyria View Post
    The spells don't stack with items either.

Only the highest of any type of bonus applies, be it armor, enchantment, deflection, morale, etc. The only ones that DO stack are dodge and circumstance bonuses, and only in odd ways (for instance, you can have +1, +2, +3 and +4 dodge bonuses that stack, but two +2's won't).

The spells don't stack with items in PnP, either.
    Blah, I was told by a cleric(high level 18, no less) that let's say... Bull Strength, as long as it's casted as a spell by a caster WILL stack with armor.

I admit, I haven't played PnP DnD for 10 years. I do remember item enhancements... Say, Ogre Power Bracers, would stack with spells, potions, scrolls, or any the like.

STILL! Things that stack, and things that don't, are truly annoying. It's such a pain finding out what does stack and doesn't. I know the general rule with DDO is to always assume that nothing stacks. Quite frankly that isn't always the case.

Good tip on the dodge bonus. I'll keep that in mind ; )any other weird stacking bonuses?

Hold on here. Bull's Strength increases your Strength. Armor increases your AC. Unless that armor has a Bull's Strength clickie or it's Dreagontouched, it doesn't increase Str. There's nothing to stack. Strength enhancements generally come on belts, gloves and bracers.

There are a few things that have a different type of bonus and will stack. Several of these items are higher level, but one that is available at lower levels is the Rage spell. It's also available as a potion or clickie.

the only place i know the stat potions stack with something else is the bonus barbarians get when ragin. rage with bull str, +8 to str right there.
    The down side involves druids with pointly sticks

Any addiction can be cured with repeated shooting of the crotch, for WOW addiction, the face is better

Blah, I was told by a cleric(high level 18, no less) that let's say... Bull Strength, as long as it's casted as a spell by a caster WILL stack with armor.
    Hold on there... I think you are VERY confused. Bull strength adds to strength, that has absolutely nothing to do with armor... Strength bonuses don't stack with strength bonuses... anything else they don't affect nor are dependent on

Just assume things don't stack. The items that DO stack are rare and almost all raid loot, by the time you acquire them, you will know whether they stack or not.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qzipoun View Post
    Hold on there... I think you are VERY confused. Bull strength adds to strength, that has absolutely nothing to do with armor... Strength bonuses don't stack with strength bonuses... anything else they don't affect nor are dependent on

Just assume things don't stack. The items that DO stack are rare and almost all raid loot, by the time you acquire them, you will know whether they stack or not.
    You guys misunderstand me... When I said armor, I meant any equipable item that increases attributes... Say you have Ogre Power Gauntlets +STR, and someone casts a spell of Bulls - it would stack with your equipment.

I was told, only potions/wands/clickies don't stack with equipment bonuses, while caster spells do. Get it?

That would be obviously really stupid if I thought AC effected any attribute in any way ; ).

I was told, only potions/wands/clickies don't stack with equipment bonuses, while caster spells do. Get it?
    then the one who told you that had no clue
    if pots dont stack, then spells do neither as pots are just spells in a bottle (or on a stick if you take a wand)
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

bulls strength is an enchantment bonus

stat boosting items provide an enchantment bonus

like bonuses do not stack, some stack in dis-similar quantities. (dodge 1 and dodge 2 provide 3 to AC, but dodge 1 and dodge 1 will only provide a 1 to your AC).

takes some research and experience to really feel like you have a handle on how things work together.

These might help:

all you need to know about Armor Class Stacking
    http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/The_D...AC_Bonus_Guide

this one is a little outdated b/c of the attack speed changes, but it still can provide assistance:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=172819

most of the known named/raid loot:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=121279
    (Perma) - Khyber - Official Helpers Guild Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is an extremely valuable party buff.