Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Default Why don't people let rogues do their jobs

Ok I'm only Lvl 6 so this may be a low lvl only thing but why does everyone who takes 1 or 2 lvls of rogue try to do all the rogue stuff usually causing the Control box to explode. Not to mention they even sometimes have the nerve to ask the rogue (Me) for more Thieves Tools because they wasted them all by constantly failing a Lockpick or something.

Seriously All rogue specific skills should be forbidden Cross-Class and/or make them unusable outside light armor or unarmored(It's like that in PnP anyway) or somethingt that restricts Non-rogues from doing rogue skills.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 10-30-2009 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Ok I'm only Lvl 6 so this may be a low lvl only thing but why does everyone who takes 1 or 2 lvls of rogue try to do all the rogue stuff usually causing the Control box to explode.

Seriously All trap-skills should be forbidden Cross-Class and/or make them unusable outside light armor or unarmored(It's like that in PnP anyway).
    Because they're new players who don't know what they're doing and who've heard that splash builds can equal a rogue .. and intelligently made ones can.

Most lv 5 ones, however, aren't intelligently made or well equipped.

Just a lil bit of advice. Traps are not a rogues JOB. Its something we can do, but to quote someone much wiser than me in the ways of a rogue, "A rogues job is to make the quest run as smoothly as possible for the rest of the party, be it DPS, UMD'ing a heal scroll, disabling a trap, scouting ahead, sneaking thru the sticky spots, whatever is needed."

Dont get too hung up on the trapsmithing aspect of the class, and you'll go far as a rogue.
    I've got my affairs in order for the coming zombie apocalypse, do you?

Community Member

Ok I'm only Lvl 6 so this may be a low lvl only thing but why does everyone who takes 1 or 2 lvls of rogue try to do all the rogue stuff usually causing the Control box to explode. Not to mention they even sometimes have the never to ask the rogue (Me) for more Thieves Tools

Seriously All trap-skills should be forbidden Cross-Class and/or make them unusable outside light armor or unarmored(It's like that in PnP anyway) or somethingt that restricts Non-rogues from doing rogue skills.
    It's because they don't use the proper gear.

DERP DERP!

My 1 rogue 4 monk 15 ranger disables high level traps just fine.
    Last edited by Tarrant; 11-02-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Well at low lvls you get alot of newbs. Also a rog who only does traps needs to reroll. I have a Wf wiz rog who is better then a pure rog and on quest 5lvls high I disable on a 1. So 2rog for evasion skill points trap skills why not? I would rather self heal be a caster and a trap monkey Instead of being a pure trap monkey who is gimp.
    Sarlona:Hematoma,Ceethreepeeo,Masturwindew,Aretwodeetoo,Ohbeewahn[color=white].

Proud Leader of Zerger's Anonymous

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

In PUGs, don't worry by the a**hat who runs and zergs ahead through the traps, especially on elite. Let him die. They will learn ... eventually.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Cool Trapsmithery!!!!

My friend, welcome to the game. I would suggest you take a look at some rogue builds on the forums. There are many. Rogue is one of the easier cross classes to make. And quite honestly, one of the most effective. Not only is one level of rogue enough(you can easily max out all of your rogue skills) it also allows one of the best ways to maximize UMD(Use Magical Device) One,if not the most useful skills in the game. I play a halfling rogue with 2 levels of monk and can not only find and disable every trap in a quest . I can do it on quests 1-3 levels higher. I also tend to be very useful in paralyzing or cursing foes while generally leading kill counts(not that it matters imho).
    So, to sum up..unfortunately you have come across a series of poorly thought out or researched rogues who have know understanding of the capabilities of this uber class. and more importantly their benefit to almost any party!

Good luck, and may all of your journeys be free of itchy rashes!
    Dravun , Yocoba, Daivik, and so many more.
    Proud to serve the Imperial Assassins!
    Do not drink the awesome-sauce......One must BE the awesome-sauce.

A rogue's job is DPS. I've never seen people refuse to let a rogue do their job.

Community Member

Seriously All rogue specific skills should be forbidden Cross-Class and/or make them unusable outside light armor or unarmored(It's like that in PnP anyway)
    No, it's not.

Ok I'm only Lvl 6 so this may be a low lvl only thing but why does everyone who takes 1 or 2 lvls of rogue try to do all the rogue stuff usually causing the Control box to explode. Not to mention they even sometimes have the nerve to ask the rogue (Me) for more Thieves Tools because they wasted them all by constantly failing a Lockpick or something.

Seriously All rogue specific skills should be forbidden Cross-Class and/or make them unusable outside light armor or unarmored(It's like that in PnP anyway) or somethingt that restricts Non-rogues from doing rogue skills.
    dont sweat it.

Do the traps if they ask you to, leave it alone otherwise.
    If some guy wants to try, let him. Whether he blows it or takes 50 tries, its not your fault and maybe they will get the message.

Give ppl a chance to see they cant hack it and they will appreciate you more.

Until then do other stuff........... rogues should never be built for the sole purpose of doing locks and traps, thats soooo 1st edition.
    Ever bleed out in a thornbush? Welcome to UD14.

I expected this to be a thread about people running through and triggering traps on themselves.

Your problem is that people don't know what they are doing. You would encounter exactly the same problem if they had more levels of Rogue. Properly made Rogue dips will not blow trap boxes, though they might come up a point or two short of Search if going after higher level content (as in multiple levels higher than themselves) and need a buff to be able to find the box. I suspect what you're seeing is new players who ran into that locked door with a chest behind it in Korthos.

Mine has blown exactly two boxes in 12 levels. In both cases the DC was abnormally high (29 crit failed on elite Durk's = 34+ DC on a level 4 quest, and 34 crit failed on one of the Elite Chamber of Insanity traps = 39+ DC on a level 7 or 8 quest), I was alone, and I either didn't actually trigger the trap on myself or the trap wasn't a big deal even on elite. I'm not sure what happened in either case, just that I randomly ran into a trap with a DC at least 10 higher than anything else I've seen at the level.

Every other Rogue problem (not knowing where the boxes are, forgetting to put on skill items) would happen regardless of quantity of Rogue levels.

Rogue=Trap Monkey

That is all................................
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by SquelchHU View Post
    Mine has blown exactly two boxes in 12 levels.
    I made a Rogue once who I leveled to 6th and then deleted. Why? because every trap he attempted to disable exploded. I started keeping track and from what I remeber he was up to 30-some odd traps blown and 1 successfully disabled from creation to deletion.

This was years ago and I think it was the 2nd rogue I had ever rolled (my 1st was a barbarian/rogue who was surprisingly good). My best rogue to date is charisma based a (no pts placed in dex beyond creation) and he has never blown a trap or had problems on any difficulty, save the cabal trap on elite.

I recently rolled a halfling rogue who has blown 1 trap and has difficulty now and then on elite. I wanna reroll him.
    Ever bleed out in a thornbush? Welcome to UD14.

Stormreach Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by bobbryan2 View Post
    A rogue's job is DPS.
    The only thing as tiresome as griping about traps being exclusively a Rogue's job is the griping about Rogues having to concentrate on DPS.
    Sine Qua Non.

Quote Originally Posted by whysper View Post
    The only thing as tiresome as griping about traps being exclusively a Rogue's job is the griping about Rogues having to concentrate on DPS.
    If it makes you feel better, it's not only a rogue's job, but it's every other melee's job as well.

Additionally, DPS is pretty much the only thing that increases as a rogue gains levels. So the more rogue levels a character has, the more DPS you expect out of them. Skills can be trained even with splashes. You can UMD things fine with 1-2 levels of rogue.

But DPS... that's what you need the bulk of the levels for.

Quote Originally Posted by whysper View Post
    <Insert Geico Pot Hole Voice>I KNOW!!! I mean I was in a subteranne the other day on my assassin and I was like “Could one of you barbarians like, maybe hit your intimidate key? You know, hitting your rage or frenzy might help too. I mean, my 36% threat reduction and Diplomacy skill just isn’t helping keep this red name off me!”</Geico Pot Hole Voice>
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by captain1z View Post
    Until then do other stuff........... rogues should never be built for the sole purpose of doing locks and traps, thats soooo 1st edition.
    In my day, our monks were psionics, bard was a prestige class requiring three separate base classes, we called our rogues "thief" instead, and we used slide rules to calculate whether our AC was adequate in combat. And we liked it!
    <shakes his walker menacingly>

I think whoever has the most levels of rogue should be the likely candidate for disarming traps. Everyone else can attempt to open locks however many times they want.

I tried to let the pure Rogue do his "trap job" once when I was on my Ranger/Rogue.

1. Apparently I had a higher Search than he did because I found boxes he couldn't.
    2. He still blew up the box (but, I probably would have too, on a low roll)
    3. He usually didn't respond to the leader asking him to unlock doors/chests, so I still picked most of the locks

I think it's more about the player (and their build choices) than the class level distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Feynt View Post
    In my day, our monks were psionics, bard was a prestige class requiring three separate base classes, we called our rogues "thief" instead, and we used slide rules to calculate whether our AC was adequate in combat. And we liked it!
    <shakes his walker menacingly>

I think whoever has the most levels of rogue should be the likely candidate for disarming traps. Everyone else can attempt to open locks however many times they want.
    Usually its best to let whoever has the highest trap skills do the job. Send the splash a tell and compare stats, whichever is higher gets stuck doing traps, the other should break all the boxes
    Sarlona's #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikfire~Quikkilla~Quikinator~ Missquik~Quiktunes~Fatalbert~Bignugly~Quikmeister~ Member of Quantum Entropy!!

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

People let my Rogue kill things all the time. What's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast