Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default A message to *some WoW players

99.9% of former and current WoW players, who play DDO, are not the problem. This note is not intended for you.

For the minority who is:
    Some of us like to focus on the adventure at hand, and could care less about your level 80 Paladin or Bear Shaman (or whatever). Please stop talking about WoW because we aren't playing WoW. Believe it or not, there are people who actually exist, that have never ever played WoW. Some have tried it, and thought it was bunk. When you are talking about it, it's like playing with people that have a conversation in Russian or Chinese on voice, only you can understand parts of it.

There are some of us that would rather stick a fork in our eye than stay in a group that won't stop talking about another game instead of paying attention. I don't need to go into detail about what happens in a difficult dungeon when people don't pay attention. Some quests are difficult enough when we have everyone's full attention.

That is all.

So...this message isn't so much to WoW players as to rude people.
    Cause there are rude people who never played WoW too
    People who want to talk about football, or cars, or beer, or WoW, or in Russian, or whatever - make sure the group's ok with it, or find a group that is

As a corollary to this request:

Long time DDO players who have an irrational hatred for WoW and WoW players, please keep it to yourself. When I first came back to DDO in June of this year, I nearly quit several times thanks to some of the veteran 'ambassadors' of this game. You see, at the time my wife and I played World of Warcraft together.

For awhile every time I was in a group people would start trash talking WoW. Then they would start talking nasty about people who played WoW. And if I happened to mention that I was a WoW player, people got ugly and nasty and personal about it. I was called a retard on more than one occasion.

Fact is, more than ten million more people play WoW than DDO. Obviously, it has something going for it that a vast majority of people find more appealing and attractive than DDO. I get that some DDO players are angsty about that and they have to find some reason to attack WoW and the WoW community so that they can feel superior to WoW players. DDO is really the better game, they're just too stupid to realize it. And so on and so forth.

"To those, in memory still bright, Entil'Zha Veni, in Valen's Name" - Sleeping in Light

Community Member amethystdragon's Avatar

/signed

DDO is nothing like WoW and to my understanding there is no way to compare them, so please stop trying to do so.
    Your complaint has been lodged, duly noted, and swiftly rejected.

Sometimes you just have to laugh, because everything else is illegal.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulurjah View Post
    As a corollary to this request:

Long time DDO players who have an irrational hatred for WoW and WoW players, please keep it to yourself. When I first came back to DDO in June of this year, I nearly quit several times thanks to some of the veteran 'ambassadors' of this game. You see, at the time my wife and I played World of Warcraft together.

For awhile every time I was in a group people would start trash talking WoW. Then they would start talking nasty about people who played WoW. And if I happened to mention that I was a WoW player, people got ugly and nasty and personal about it. I was called a retard on more than one occasion.

Fact is, more than ten million more people play WoW than DDO. Obviously, it has something going for it that a vast majority of people find more appealing and attractive than DDO. I get that some DDO players are angsty about that and they have to find some reason to attack WoW and the WoW community so that they can feel superior to WoW players. DDO is really the better game, they're just too stupid to realize it. And so on and so forth.
    ^ This.

Every time I've heard WoW mentioned in DDO, it started with a "Go back to WoW," or "This isn't WoW." I just don't understand the animosity... They're both just games. :P

Nothing will get me to drop a group faster than a bunch of people talking about RL politics.

Also, if people are talking about WOW .. I have zero interest in WOW .. or I'd be there playing WOW. I'm playing DDO. And the fact that more people play WoW than DDO does not mean WoW is a better game. In fact that would actually serve as an example of it being a worse game since the average IQ is 100 and the larger masses tend to gravitate toward that which is of least quality.

"You cannot make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position you can make a crowd of men." - Max Beerbohm

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ulurjah View Post
    Fact is, more than ten million more people play WoW than DDO. Obviously, it has something going for it that a vast majority of people find more appealing and attractive than DDO..
    -
    Its never ok to outright bash people for the choices they make.
    However, To the direct statement above.

Truth of the matter is that 9.5 Million (Probably more) of those people never tried DDO & Probably never tried many other MMRPGs. WoW was the Earliest and that was the best seller on their part. They got great programmers and Merchandisers and were able to use both to addict and sell their product.
    DDO suffered from early release (like 2 years early) and 0% advertising during all that time.
    So most people didn't even realize there was a real time combat system out there with crazy Customization.
    They prob wouldn't have like the early versions of the game anyway. I liked it because of D&D background.
    -
    Its all flavor, and to me I'm not into what WoW offers. But lots of people are.

~
    If we shrank our solar system to the size of a Quarter, and lay it at your feet, the Milky Way galaxy would still be larger than North America. ~NASA Perspective anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ulurjah View Post
    ddo Is Really The Better Game

Qft.

Ive only said go back to wow when ive listened to someone whine endlessly about how better it is when they see ddo doesnt have some inane thing that game promotes.

I get wow is popular and some think its fun it wasnt my cup of tea I dont think id go to any other game and constantly whine about how its not like ddo. Heck I even tried Lotro and when I realized it wasnt for me stopped playing. I didnt fill their forums and in game chat with "this sucks its not like ddo hyuck" so kinda would like the same courtesy though I know its expecting too much
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by Atenhotep View Post
    Nothing will get me to drop a group faster than a bunch of people talking about RL politics.

Also, if people are talking about WOW .. I have zero interest in WOW .. or I'd be there playing WOW. I'm playing DDO. And the fact that more people play WoW than DDO does not mean WoW is a better game. In fact that would actually serve as an example of it being a worse game since the average IQ is 100 and the larger masses tend to gravitate toward that which is of least quality.

"You cannot make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position you can make a crowd of men." - Max Beerbohm
    You're doing exactly what I pointed out. You're trying to say that because more people play WoW, that makes them sheep and of lesser intellect than you. You are judging people you've never met based upon what hobby they've chosen. Not only that, you've ascribed to them a lower intellect based upon that choice.

The law of very large numbers. I'd suggest that six billion is a very large number. Given six billion people, odds are that any particular person is very close to the average. Statistically, you are not superior to everyone you meet. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfSpirit View Post
    -
    Its never ok to outright bash people for the choices they make.
    However, To the direct statement above.

Truth of the matter is that 9.5 Million (Probably more) of those people never tried DDO & Probably never tried many other MMRPGs. WoW was the Earliest and that was the best seller on their part. They got great programmers and Merchandisers and were able to use both to addict and sell their product.
    DDO suffered from early release (like 2 years early) and 0% advertising during all that time.
    So most people didn't even realize there was a real time combat system out there with crazy Customization.
    They prob wouldn't have like the early versions of the game anyway. I liked it because of D&D background.
    -
    Its all flavor, and to me I'm not into what WoW offers. But lots of people are.
    WoW was not the first MMO, not even close. Utlima Online is generally credited with that distinction. EverQuest and Turbine's game Asheron's Call were the other two notable first generation MMO's. There were quite a few more games between those and the release of World of Warcraft.

DDO was released roughly six months earlier than Turbine wanted to release it due to pressure from Atari. Not two years.

From what I'm told, there's currently tons of DDO advertising.

"To those, in memory still bright, Entil'Zha Veni, in Valen's Name" - Sleeping in Light

Community Member

u join mai groop?

NO U CNOT HAS ITAM UHNLESS U GIF PLATINAMZ 4 IT. I SELL ONRY

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsolid View Post
    u join mai groop?

NO U CNOT HAS ITAM UHNLESS U GIF PLATINAMZ 4 IT. I SELL ONRY
    ugh okay your lucky I dont hand out neg rep willy nilly I hate hate hate with a serious passion people who type like that. Every once in awhile to be funny is barely acceptable but ive stopped reading trade chat due to that **** seriously hate it :/
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Community Member

I played WoW for a year, and enjoyed it immensely. I much prefer DDO, but I respect that some people prefer WoW. In all honesty, DDO devs could (and probably have) learn a few things from WoW. I would like to see how many people would stick with WoW if they tried DDO...

I think most of the WoW bashers here just have a need to feel superior...possibly overcompensation for a "short"coming? :P

Hall of Famer & Hero DoctorWhofan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    I played WoW for a year, and enjoyed it immensely. I much prefer DDO, but I respect that some people prefer WoW. In all honesty, DDO devs could (and probably have) learn a few things from WoW. I would like to see how many people would stick with WoW if they tried DDO...

I think most of the WoW bashers here just have a need to feel superior...possibly overcompensation for a "short"coming? :P
    I played WoW and I HATED it! There was VERY FEW THINGS from that game I liked. So yes, I will say "WoW sucks," because I believe it does.
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    I played WoW and I HATED it! There was VERY FEW THINGS from that game I liked. So yes, I will say "WoW sucks," because I believe it does.
    I'm with you n this one Doc. I tried it, I hated it, will not try it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!

(I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

To me talking about WOW while playing DDO is akin to your current girlfriend/boyfriend talking about there ex. Just bad forum.

As for the numer of subscribers to WOW, its quite commen to inflate numbers for marketing reasons.I doubt very seriously there are 9.5 million current subscribers to WOW, more than likely they count everyone who's ever have an account whether its currently active or not.
    Proud Officer of Forgotten Legion
    Runestaff,Shadowarc,Feena,Gizzzmo

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    I'm with you n this one Doc. I tried it, I hated it, will not try it again.
    Those are opinions, and you guys are both quite welcome to have your own opinions. The problem is when you get hostile with other folks who don't share your opinions. When I was harassed and attacked for being a WoW player, that was the low point of my DDO experience. As it so happens, my wife and I aren't playing WoW anymore ...

And like it or not, opinions are not what a game is judged on. WoW is the most successful MMO ever, by several orders of magnitude. It's not even close. Using success as a measure, WoW is the best MMO of all time.

You and me and everyone else are free to make our own choices and form our own opinions ... the fact stands that WoW is the king of em all at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by hermespan View Post
    99.9% of former and current WoW players, who play DDO, are not the problem. This note is not intended for you.

For the minority who is:
    Some of us like to focus on the adventure at hand, and could care less about your level 80 Paladin or Bear Shaman (or whatever). Please stop talking about WoW because we aren't playing WoW. Believe it or not, there are people who actually exist, that have never ever played WoW. Some have tried it, and thought it was bunk. When you are talking about it, it's like playing with people that have a conversation in Russian or Chinese on voice, only you can understand parts of it.

There are some of us that would rather stick a fork in our eye than stay in a group that won't stop talking about another game instead of paying attention. I don't need to go into detail about what happens in a difficult dungeon when people don't pay attention. Some quests are difficult enough when we have everyone's full attention.

That is all.
    I play high end WoW and have many level 80 characters in WoW. I have played WoW since early beta. I have also played DDO since early Beta, then pre-release then release. I have since played DDO off and on over the years; so I believe I can speak to both games.

Both WoW and DDO have pros and cons. Yes, DDO fan boi's DDO isn't perfect; neither is WoW by a long shot. But, they are really vastly different games. They share a few of the same basic concepts of the MMO game style but other than that they are different. But none of that says one game is better than the other. But if you judge a games success on profit, WoW is better than every MMO out there hands down. By the way, these MMOs are businesses or part of a larger business which was created to make money... because of that, WoW is considered to be the "best" game.

That has NOTHING to do with your opinion as to which game you like the best. Even though WoW is a bigger game, more people play.. There are plenty of things I don't care for. There are lots of aspects of the game that are unique to DDO and that's what attracts me.

People just need to respect other's choices and leave things alone. That goes for both sides of this argument. Don't bash people, don't bash people's choices.

Joras (Founder and still playing DDO)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
    I didnt fill their forums and in game chat with "this sucks its not like ddo hyuck" so kinda would like the same courtesy though I know its expecting too much

makes you wonder about some of these jokers doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!

(I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
    ugh okay your lucky I dont hand out neg rep willy nilly I hate hate hate with a serious passion people who type like that. Every once in awhile to be funny is barely acceptable but ive stopped reading trade chat due to that **** seriously hate it :/
    can you neg now?

oh, and for the topic of WoW... no interest >_> don't want to hear about how "great" the game is 'cause it's not
    i've had ppl told me the game doesn't really start in WoW until you hit 50+
    now, how the hell do you plan on keeping me entertained if i can't even stand playing the game till lvl 20?!
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast