Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 496
  1. #121
    Community Member Anthios888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rodallec View Post
    so does TWF make a monk with wraps attack faster/better etc or is TWF for kamas? do they get a two weapon penalty for wearing wraps or using kamas? im gonna role one but need to know the little things

    TWF makes a monk with wraps attack faster.

    They do not get any two weapon penalty for wearing handwraps, and in fact do not even have the offhand strength penalty. This is one of monks' best assets.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

  2. #122
    Community Member StrixAluco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    110

    Default

    The original idea of the 28pt build was: 12 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 12 INT, 14 WIS, 8 CHA for the possibility of getting CE with a +1 INT tome. As it is said that CE doesn't seem that important anymore INT might become a dump stat on a stat starved class as monk, so what will the new stat distribution for a 28pt build be?

    Examples:
    12 STR, 16 DEX, 16 CON, 8 INT, 14 WIS, 8 CHA for GM Earth with a +2 con tome.
    12 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 8 INT, 16 WIS, 8 CHA with high WIS as in the 32 pt build.
    14 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 8 INT, 16 WIS, 8 CHA for more damage.
    Other?

    I got a lvl 5 monk following the original 28pt build and think it is time that I reroll if adviceable before using my first tome, but I just don't know what stat distribution to choose so I would appreciate some advice.

    Also, by dumping INT there will be less skillpoints to spend. The original idea was to put "Max ranks in concentration, hide, move silently, and UMD. 14 jump, remainder in balance. A few ranks in tumble, spot early on."
    Beside concentration, which skills would it be best to invest in?

  3. #123
    Community Member Anthios888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StrixAluco View Post
    The original idea of the 28pt build was: 12 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 12 INT, 14 WIS, 8 CHA for the possibility of getting CE with a +1 INT tome. As it is said that CE doesn't seem that important anymore INT might become a dump stat on a stat starved class as monk, so what will the new stat distribution for a 28pt build be?

    Examples:
    12 STR, 16 DEX, 16 CON, 8 INT, 14 WIS, 8 CHA for GM Earth with a +2 con tome.
    12 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 8 INT, 16 WIS, 8 CHA with high WIS as in the 32 pt build.
    14 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 8 INT, 16 WIS, 8 CHA for more damage.
    Other?

    I got a lvl 5 monk following the original 28pt build and think it is time that I reroll if adviceable before using my first tome, but I just don't know what stat distribution to choose so I would appreciate some advice.

    Also, by dumping INT there will be less skillpoints to spend. The original idea was to put "Max ranks in concentration, hide, move silently, and UMD. 14 jump, remainder in balance. A few ranks in tumble, spot early on."
    Beside concentration, which skills would it be best to invest in?
    You're quite right. Everything you suggested is a good option for a monk build. There's no right or wrong answer on whether strength, con, or wisdom bracket is the best choice; all of the stat spreads you listed are balanced and will perform great. It's the underlying philosophy and playstyle that makes the difference.

    Combat expertise isn't bad, it's just not absolutely essential. For those who really enjoy the idea of a tank that is difficult to kill, it may be exactly the thing for you. If you do drop int, as I did, dump hide and move silently. If you drop int but still care about stealth, you can lose some UMD, jump, and balance.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

  4. #124
    Community Member StrixAluco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthios888 View Post
    You're quite right. Everything you suggested is a good option for a monk build. There's no right or wrong answer on whether strength, con, or wisdom bracket is the best choice; all of the stat spreads you listed are balanced and will perform great. It's the underlying philosophy and playstyle that makes the difference.

    Combat expertise isn't bad, it's just not absolutely essential. For those who really enjoy the idea of a tank that is difficult to kill, it may be exactly the thing for you. If you do drop int, as I did, dump hide and move silently. If you drop int but still care about stealth, you can lose some UMD, jump, and balance.
    Thanks a lot for helping me see the possibilities and telling me what is viable. As I really like the philosophy of the Rockan Robin I think I will play on with the original build to try out if stealth and CE is my style, and then hope that I eventually will get around to TR her knowing my preferences and the ways of the monk a lot better by that time. Thanks again!

  5. #125
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    What is a +1 litany?

  6. #126
    Community Member valorik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chexss View Post
    What is a +1 litany?
    a bonus from the trinket litany of the dead which drops from teh abbot raid.
    Arannel, Aqueous, Cocobolo, Arboreous, Erudirion, Congruous, and Cogs
    Ghallanda Rerolled

  7. #127
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    What stance is this for? wind? or does the stance not matter?

  8. #128
    Community Member Anthios888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthios888 View Post
    Presenting Rockan Robin, the balanced air stance punchy new age monk!

    32-34 DEX: 16 + 3 tome + 2 enhancement + 6 item + 1 litany + 4 wind stance (+2 yug pot)
    22 CON: 14 + 3 tome + 6 item + 1 litany - 2 wind stance


    AC:
    ...
    2 wind stance
    ...
    This character has never left wind stance. Other stances only go on the bars for situations when I need to hit runes and levers and need to make the stat requirement for it.
    Last edited by Anthios888; 02-20-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

  9. #129
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Alright cool thanks! My other question is what other enhancements do I get? When I cant get the listed ones should I just get reflex save and fortitude save then maybe some jump and tumble?

  10. #130
    Community Member Urlryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5

    Default

    With the recent changes of the monk will you be updating the Enhancements and such?

    Example Per your Enhancement list:

    Enhancements:
    Halfling Cunning 4
    Halfling Guile 4
    Halfling Dexterity 2

    Fists of Light (Can't find this Enhancement)

    Halfling hero's companion 2
    Racial Toughness 2
    Monk Healing Amp 2 (assuming this is Monk Improved Healing?)

    Wind 4 ( No Such enhancement unless changed to Way of Air but only 3 upgrades)
    Fire 1 (same)
    Earth 3 (same)
    Water 2 (same)

    Unbalancing Strike
    Monk Wisdom 3
    Way of the Patient Tortoise 3
    Monk Serenity

    No starter recommendations to be able to get these other abilities.
    Luck, Will, Fort, Concentration, balance and so on.

    Urlryn

  11. #131
    Community Member Urlryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chexss View Post
    Alright cool thanks! My other question is what other enhancements do I get? When I cant get the listed ones should I just get reflex save and fortitude save then maybe some jump and tumble?
    I'm gonna say Concentration and Balance...but i'm holding off spending points for now till its confirmed!

  12. #132
    Community Member Anthios888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Okay, well, I thought the enhancements were self-explanatory, but I guess not. I updated the original post with the standard character planner layout. If you can't figure it out from there, this might not be the build for you
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

  13. #133
    Community Member Gunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NYC Metro
    Posts
    6,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthios888 View Post
    Okay, well, I thought the enhancements were self-explanatory, but I guess not. I updated the original post with the standard character planner layout. If you can't figure it out from there, this might not be the build for you
    What's a character planner?

  14. #134
    Community Member Urlryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthios888 View Post
    Okay, well, I thought the enhancements were self-explanatory, but I guess not. I updated the original post with the standard character planner layout. If you can't figure it out from there, this might not be the build for you
    Well most of it was very easy to read. Very well thought out and explained. But I think at points were a tad "technical" due to the fact you have played for a while and its just common knowledge. Or it could be that Myself and others who haven't really played that long probably just a major brain fart or got that glossy eye look!

    Urlryn

  15. #135

    Default

    How are you finding Rockan as the new str-based Fig/Monk build?

  16. #136
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default

    The most recent edits were very appreciated. New to DDO, and new to the DnD system... so it clarified questions I had that may have been figured out after the point of no return

  17. #137
    Community Member Anthios888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    How are you finding Rockan as the new str-based Fig/Monk build?
    It's so awesome... I just hit level 18 last night (big level - kensei II, frenzied set, dual bursting rings, blah blah). I took a few weeks off to run epic with my guild. Now, I'm starting to think about staying fighter for a while.

    Sometimes, I do miss having that monkey combination of Armor Class, Damage Reduction, Abundant Step, and not needing haste pots. We shall see!
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

  18. #138
    Community Member Anthios888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urlryn View Post
    Well most of it was very easy to read. Very well thought out and explained. But I think at points were a tad "technical" due to the fact you have played for a while and its just common knowledge. Or it could be that Myself and others who haven't really played that long probably just a major brain fart or got that glossy eye look!

    Urlryn
    The audience to whom I wrote the original post was the guy with seven capped characters that never bothered to level his monk past level 17 because he was too stuck on his now-gimped greensteel kamas and ultra high AC setup. You still hear these players go on and on in groups about how "monks don't do DPS," when even a finesse build like Rockan is clocking in at the same level as your typical uber Tempest III melee ranger.

    I had no idea then that the concept would appeal to so many of DDO's newer players, but I'm glad it's a helpful resource. I was an avid reader of the build forums when I started playing -- I was totally new to Dungeons and Dragons and I needed to know how these ubers completed the mythical "Thirteenth Eclipse"
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

  19. #139
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Is power attack worth using? People tell me it is and isn't? I notice I am missing more with it. Also should I never be in sun stance? In wind stance I find I am out of ki a lot? Any tips?(new to playing a monk)

  20. #140
    Community Member Anthios888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chexss View Post
    Is power attack worth using? People tell me it is and isn't? I notice I am missing more with it. Also should I never be in sun stance? In wind stance I find I am out of ki a lot? Any tips?(new to playing a monk)
    Guessing from your posts, you are still pretty low levels. Below level 10, every character needs to be conscious about his to-hit. After a certain point, you will be hitting so regularly in level-appropriate content, that you'll almost never turn it off except for extreme situations. Power attack is probably one of the best feats in DDO. You just have to be smart about using it when the monsters' AC is low to moderate, and not using it when hitting is tough.

    Low level monks are going to be out of ki a lot. It's one of those frustrating things about the class: you hear all about these neat buffs and special attacks you can use, and then have to kill six monsters to generate enough ki to pull it off. Don't sweat it and make the best of what you have. I tend to spend most of my ki on healing curse and stunning fist, which helps me generate more ki and stay alive longer.

    The only finishers I find really useful at low levels are pos-pos-pos healing ki and fire-pos-fire walk of the sun. Walk of the sun gives a stacking +2 to-hit, saves, and skills, which is great for buffing up the rogue who is trying to search out some elite trap. The +2 to-hit might also make the difference for using power attack.

    Throughout your career, the increased attack speeds from wind stance will more than make up for the boni granted by the other stances.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload