Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

I use a dragontouched robe socketed with a +4 insight AC sovereign rune and +1 alchemical ritual added. This nets 11 total AC, but I always make clear where the boni come from different sources (one the robe itself, one the rune, one the ritual -- I could still use the robe with +8 bracers and maintain the same AC).

I actually use Faithful Hound path at higher levels for the extra to-hit, because I run so much epic content. None of the other paths particularly excite me, and I vary between 2-3 tiers depending on what my other enhancements are. I liked the tortoise for the little bit of extra HP help.

I'm the type of person that always has on whichever resist I need from a stack of potions, but I know a lot of people who love monkey.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthios888 View Post
    I know a lot of people who love monkey.
    This should teach me to skim posts instead of reading them; I nearly spit out my drink all over the keyboard.

Not to self: Save this 'out of context quote' for later to make Rocka look like a deviant in a future thread.
    Shiz -Proud Officer of the Southern Tenant Farmers Union - Ghallanda
    Shizmonkey, Shizrhino, Shizlazer, Shizpanzee, Shizlion, Shizchopper, Shiztiger, Shizopotamus, Shizphoenix, Shizquito, Shizwolf, Shizfrog
    R.O.G.U.E. Proving Grounds Redux is now defunct. Check out Part Trois

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kamimitsu View Post
    this Should Teach Me To Skim Posts Instead Of Reading Them; I Nearly Spit Out My Drink All Over The Keyboard.

Not To Self: Save This 'out Of Context Quote' For Later To Make Rocka Look Like A Deviant In A Future Thread.
    +1
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index

Talking [-_-]

So, i rolled one up, can you just play it for me and then tr it for me?

I mean, you broke down every detail here so much, I feel like you should just play it....

C'mon, do it for your guildie.

/chair

Chair, I'd be happy to TR it for you after I cap Rockan to 12 fighter/8 monk, TR again and cap her again as a 36 point level 20 monk, and after I reroll Rocka Red Emma to my dream battlecleric build, and then reroll Rockna Delaflote two or three more times as a wizard and sorcerer before landing on my final tentative battlesomething build. The only thing is, I might want to TR RockCandy in there at some point for that extra two intimidate. Very tempting, as I'm sure you'd understand.

I'm sure it'll be no problem in between guild raids, cracking epic dragon, and of course my full time job and family obligations.

Anthios, I'm curious about your experiences with the KensaiII/Monk 8. Stat distribution and race-wise, which direction did you take it? And... What are/were your thoughts on the build? Did you enjoy it?

So far, I am really enjoying the fighter 12/monk 8. It plays very similar to a monk but has a few other perks in place of a few of the unique monk things. When I cap it (almost level 16 now) I will run some DPS analysis and post a full Kensei monk build.

Although I think it would be slightly better to go warforged with the kensei monk in terms of DPS, I stayed halfling to go along with the theme of Rockan Robin. Because there were so many extra feats, I had no problem slipping in full healing dragonmarks and like ninety toughness feats. The sneak attacks sure never hurt anyone, either. Endgame I think the HP will be much much higher than a pure monk, while missing out on the DR/10, adamantine handwraps, and Perfect Self.

Anyway look out for my 12/8 posting in a week or so!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthios888;2514171
    [b
    Why wisdom?[/b]
    Stunning fist DC: 10 base + 10 (20 monk/2) + 12 wis modifier + 10 weighted= 42 DC stunning fist.

I'm sure you are aware of this and maybe it was updated later in the thread but according to the known issues, the DC bonus to Stunning Fist and Stunning Blow is not being applied when using handwraps.
    Don't argue with me! My diplomacy is +1 more than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    I'm sure you are aware of this and maybe it was updated later in the thread but according to the known issues, the DC bonus to Stunning Fist and Stunning Blow is not being applied when using handwraps.
    Someday, they'll fix it!

Finland, Northern Europe, 100km from the Arctic circle

ive been building as you have stated, my monk is now lvl 5, and its hard to get tome what i want, and allso some good equipment, do you have any idea what i should go for?

veteran MMORPG Player, Ex-GMH of many known games, Beta Tester for many Game companys

Anthios, how are you finding your Rockan build performing in epic? I'm wondering, mainly, about the to-hit and the DCs... since those need to be pretty high to remain effective there.

For everything else I know this build is fantastic. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by falk78 View Post
    ive been building as you have stated, my monk is now lvl 5, and its hard to get tome what i want, and allso some good equipment, do you have any idea what i should go for?
    There is a list posted earlier in the thread with a few named items from Tangleroot, Waterworks, etc. that could help. There are also named handwraps in catacombs, delera's, and threnal that you could look for. Check out the Definitive Static Loot and End Rewards List for a guide to all of the gear in DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by sinedist View Post
    Anthios, how are you finding your Rockan build performing in epic? I'm wondering, mainly, about the to-hit and the DCs... since those need to be pretty high to remain effective there.

For everything else I know this build is fantastic. ^_^
    I love running Rockan in epic. Any time you are flanking something, you get a bajillion to hit, and she stuns a whole lot. With how much ki is available, I can always alternate stun and shining star and put curse of healing on everything. Even if the DCs are not quite high enough to land all the time, they land sometimes, and help add to weighted to immobilize mobs fast. I just hope they fix weighted handwraps applying to stunning fist! Even without that, monks are great survivable melees and work well in epic.

Default :d

Thanks for the build. Having a blast with it. I made a 32pt build with Power attack at L3 (eat tome then do a feat change). Went with a 14 Con and an extra Dex pt from creation .... I hate buying real expensive pts when dex is 1:1 for so long as a halfling. (and finesse/AC of course)

Will be nabbing cleave at L6. Trying out the Fists of Darkness as well. Seems the finishers for the dark path are more to my playing style. Was secretly hoping I could get both ... but I guess I will have to do w/o the bonuses vs undead.

Really wish that Cyclone Kick was in the game .... and maybe Sacred Fist prestige class

Quote Originally Posted by lizardo666 View Post
    Thanks for the build. Having a blast with it. I made a 32pt build with Power attack at L3 (eat tome then do a feat change). Went with a 14 Con and an extra Dex pt from creation .... I hate buying real expensive pts when dex is 1:1 for so long as a halfling. (and finesse/AC of course)

Will be nabbing cleave at L6. Trying out the Fists of Darkness as well. Seems the finishers for the dark path are more to my playing style. Was secretly hoping I could get both ... but I guess I will have to do w/o the bonuses vs undead.

Really wish that Cyclone Kick was in the game .... and maybe Sacred Fist prestige class
    You might be disappointed with cleave, like many others before you. Let me know how it works for the monk.

Favoring Power attack over Expertise (since my int is 10), I think the combo of cleave and great cleave on separate CDs can make it viable .... by itself I think its kinda meh. See how it plays out, playing a static group and not leveling as fast as I could.

Any other ideas for a good use of 2 feats (minus dragonmarks) if it fails.
    Last edited by lizardo666; 02-08-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Being a newb who loved monk in PnP I'm trying out the 28pt build and it appears that I love my monk just as much in DDO. At the moment my monk is lvl 5 ready to level up, so I am working on leveling a hagglebard to afford the tomes in this build. I am F2P/Premium and have only bought a couple of packs so far, and I am looking forward to run Deleras' for the first time. I read that you will need good aligned weapons to overcome DR, so now I began wondering if lawful neutral is the way to go for a poor newb, as I am wondering if and when I will reach UMD 20. Can you please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of good vs neutral alignment for a poor 28pt newb?
    Having never tried out either CE or PA as of yet, I also wondered if you still think I should go for both on a 28pt build (as adviced in the OP), as it is a stat starved build and you don't advice it for the 34pt build? Or I might as well go for both this first time to try it out and see what works for me?
    Either way, I just wanted to make sure that my char keeps being such a blast to play as it has been so far, as I am a casual player and if I have to reroll I would want to do so at a low level before eating tomes.

Quote Originally Posted by StrixAluco View Post
    Being a newb who loved monk in PnP I'm trying out the 28pt build and it appears that I love my monk just as much in DDO. At the moment my monk is lvl 5 ready to level up, so I am working on leveling a hagglebard to afford the tomes in this build. I am F2P/Premium and have only bought a couple of packs so far, and I am looking forward to run Deleras' for the first time. I read that you will need good aligned weapons to overcome DR, so now I began wondering if lawful neutral is the way to go for a poor newb, as I am wondering if and when I will reach UMD 20. Can you please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of good vs neutral alignment for a poor 28pt newb?
    Having never tried out either CE or PA as of yet, I also wondered if you still think I should go for both on a 28pt build (as adviced in the OP), as it is a stat starved build and you don't advice it for the 34pt build? Or I might as well go for both this first time to try it out and see what works for me?
    Either way, I just wanted to make sure that my char keeps being such a blast to play as it has been so far, as I am a casual player and if I have to reroll I would want to do so at a low level before eating tomes.
    Hey hey. Don't worry too much about the tomes. In the time it would take you to level a bard, you could be tearing through mid-teens content pulling +2 tomes every week. The tomes just aren't a big deal and will be a natural part of your progression.

Delera's requires good-aligned weapons, which goes beyond pure good. You can also use any weapon with flametouched iron or holy without any kind of UMD check. Do you play on Ghallanda? If so, I can lend you some +1 holy handwraps.

Don't worry about dropping Combat Expertise. Enough has changed even since I first posted this build that I don't find it as useful as I did before. The build points in intelligence are more valuable if you're a 28 point build.

Hey hey. Don't worry too much about the tomes. In the time it would take you to level a bard, you could be tearing through mid-teens content pulling +2 tomes every week. The tomes just aren't a big deal and will be a natural part of your progression.

Delera's requires good-aligned weapons, which goes beyond pure good. You can also use any weapon with flametouched iron or holy without any kind of UMD check. Do you play on Ghallanda? If so, I can lend you some +1 holy handwraps.

Don't worry about dropping Combat Expertise. Enough has changed even since I first posted this build that I don't find it as useful as I did before. The build points in intelligence are more valuable if you're a 28 point build.
    Thanks a lot Anthios! You make me really believe that monks can be a blast to play even for a casual player. Regarding tomes I will need a +1 str and a +1 dex (eventually +2 dex for GM wind) to get the feats in the build, but that should be quite possible to obtain.

Thanks for clarifying good-aligned weapons. +1 holy handwraps doesn't seem that expensive. I am on Khyber, but you might say that I am still so low level that I could easily change (though only playing casual it took some time to unlock drow for the bard).

If I drop Combat Expertise, how would you then advice me to distribute the stats? Should I dump int to raise wis to 16 as in the 32pt build? And assuming I can't afford a +2 int tome I will lack out on 2 skills, would that just be Move Silently and Hide? I like the stealth, but it might be worth it to put it off until 32pt or TR.

I really can't find any good explanation of alignment, so would you like to explain what you said earlier the advantages of being neutral in a little more details?

As far as alignment, there are still metalline of pure good handwraps in Shadow Crypt that do not require UMD 20. Eventually, I hope to get static pure good UMD: 11 ranks + 6 greensteel + 3 Vile Blasphemy + 4 Greater Heroism, but I admit that it will be a ways away. I personally like the neutral alignment for the extra saves, HP, and to-hit, but that really comes down to your preference. There are definite advantages either way.

Default ok

so does TWF make a monk with wraps attack faster/better etc or is TWF for kamas? do they get a two weapon penalty for wearing wraps or using kamas? im gonna role one but need to know the little things

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast