Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    I saw the John Carpenter version of The Thing first. That move (I was in single digits) freaked me for years. Probably because the idea that some virus could infect anyone and become... that random monstrosety... Let alone how painful it looked for the transformation.
    That's funny, Missing, cause that was the second scariest movie we'd seen at the time (just after Evil Dead). Ah, to be a young stoner again. Good times! I love the John Carpenter version. I've never seen the original. Would love to catch that sometime. The greenhouse, Missing? Does the original not take place in Antarctica?

Quote Originally Posted by Club'in View Post
    That's funny, Missing, cause that was the second scariest movie we'd seen at the time (just after Evil Dead). Ah, to be a young stoner again. Good times! I love the John Carpenter version. I've never seen the original. Would love to catch that sometime. The greenhouse, Missing? Does the original not take place in Antarctica?
    Yes it does, one of the things they were working
    on down there was growing food in the greenhouse.
    Or something like that, but it was down in Antarctica.
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Ghost Ship? Was that the one with the lerposy pirates that stayed in the fog?
    It is about a psychopathic madman obssessed with authority and to keep control of his ship he murders the crew. It is narrated by a crew member who is mute, circa 1944. I think the one you are asking about came out a few years ago, it had the chick in it from ER, do you mean that one? I saw it but can't remember if they had leprosy or were zombies.

OP: I’m glad you got the hobbling scene from Misery in there. Back in 03 the wife and I were hosting a foreign exchange student from Germany. (Her name is Maja.)

Anyway, she comes home from watching “the Ring” and is talking it up left and right. “This movie is the scariest movie ever!”

I was like “Oh. I guess you’ve never seen ‘Misery’ then.”

Her response “No. There’s no way it can be scarier than ‘the Ring’!”

So the following weekend I pick it up from the local Hollywood Video and she watches it with my wife in the master bedroom. (At my house, our nice TV is in the master bedroom due to my wife’s health issues.)

At the end of the movie Maja comes over to my computer desk with a look on her face that says “You win” and says “I hate you!” and storms off.

A few minutes later the wife comes in and says “I don’t think you should have let her watch that movie. Now she won’t leave the bedroom!”
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • NEW - Setting Unarmed Strike back to what it was and attacking the real problem: Reinforced Fists items.
    • Fix the flipping non-proficiency penalties for Bear and Wolf wildshapes!
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.
    • Keep Lynnabel on task with updating the remaining legacy named loot to not suck.
    • Tiering the Runearms so that artificers aren’t screwed out of the advantages of Cannith Crafting in Epic levels on their signature item.
    • Finishing the enhancement tree passes (including racial PrE’s) before rolling out yet another DDOStore™ Enhancement Tree.

Default It's Just Not Right

So, no real disagreements with what's been offered up thus far. I do have to say that The Shining is the one movie that still messes me up big time. Kubrick was a master!

There are so many scenes, but I'd have to say the camera work when the little boy is riding his big wheel through the hotel...carpet...hardwood floor...carpet...hardwood floor, and then he turns the corner and there's the twins :0

And of course, the one that screws with me the most, when Shelly Duvall was running up the stairs towards the end and she happens to look into one of the bedrooms and sees the flurry on its knees and the the guy lying on the bed; then they just turn real slowly and look at her...yikes! It just didn't seem right.

I haven't seen anyone post about the vampire outside the upstairs bedroom window in Salems Lot...w.t.f!

Community Member Krysta_Shadowvol's Avatar

Default Here's Mine

1. Nightmare on Elm Street: The whole freakin thing;

If you've seen them all you can appreciate why they give the creeps. Simply put the thought of somebody being able to invade my dreams freaks me out. Here are some examples #3 “Dream Warriors" he uses there weakness against them and in # 4 "The Dream Master" he uses their fear’s against them, which leads me to my most hated scene: He turns one of them into a cockroach ICK I hate bugs. I can still hear the rhyme from the move “ 1, 2 Freddy's coming for you, 3, 4 better lock your door, 5, 6 grab your crucifix, 7, 8 better stay up late, 9, 10 never sleep again.

2. The Silence of the Lambs
    Let’s face it Dr. Hannibal Lector may not have been a real person but his character was based on some of the worst serial killers of all time. He just scares the **** out of me. Oh yeah and it was the movie my husband and I went to see on our first day. LOL

3. The Shining:
    The Scene with Shelly Duvall in the Pantry, The stark terror she displayed, and the Canned Goods Falling off the shelves as Jack is Hammering away on the pantry door With the Axe!
    And the image of him looking through the Door! "Heeeere's Johnny!!!"

4. Child's Play
    This one will most certainly make you rethink getting your child a doll.

5. Psycho
    The shower scene....with the music....you know that part
    Followed closely by...The whole freaking thing
    I still won’t take a shower when nobody’s home especial since my dog’s gone.

6. Amityville Horror
    From the time they moved into the house and the funny thing is we have a house in our neighborhood that looks freakishly similar to that house, it went up for sale when we were house hunting we didn’t look at it.

7. Friday the 13th
    The whole thing; Maybe this is why I don’t like the woods?

8. Are you in the House alone?
    (Carol Kane was the baby sitter... "Have You Checked The Children yet?"
    I think this move is the reason I don’t like to be Home Alone.

9. Poltergeist

I truly believe that just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it’s not there that’s why this movie disturbed me just a little bit. Oh yeah and I don’t think I’ll ever be getting an in-ground pool.

Try watching any of them when you have wise @$$es on either side of you that know when to poke you in the side for the funniest effect.

I’m all creeped out now so I will be sleeping with the lights on, checking every closest, nook and cranny whenever I come home.
    "Ask directions from a genie In a bottle of Jim Beam and she lies to you"

Community Member

More of a top 10 suspenseful movie moments rather than scariest:

1. Marathon Man
    The "Is it safe?" scene might not be the most scariest scene ever but it's the scene I can relate the most to. Dentist drill > buckets of gore and monsters.

2. It
    The sewer drain scene with Pennywise and Georgie. Tyvm Mr. Tim Curry for ****ing up my childhood.

3. Alien
    The whole movie.

4. Carpenter's The Thing
    Same as Alien.

5. Silence of the Lambs
    No specific scene, just Hopkins being one of the best villains ever.

6. Kubrik's The Shining
    Danny meets the twins + Danny enters room 237 + "Here's Johnny" scene + the scene with the guy in a bear suit.

7. Carrie
    The climax, the prom queen scene.

8. Blow Out (the one with Travolta, Lithgow and Nancy Allen)
    The scene with Lithgow following his victim in the ladies restroom + the scene with Allen screaming for help and Travolta running in slow motion.

8. Don't Look Now
    The ending scene with Donald Sutherland chasing the person with the red cape at night, on the deserted streets of Venice and catching up with her.

9. The Changeling (the 1980 movie)
    The scene with the ball dropping from the dark at the top of the stairs. A calm, non superstitious, "there has to be a logical explanation for this" George C. Scott gets scared for the first time.

10. Uccello dalle piume di cristallo aka Bird With The Crystal Plumage (Dario Argento's 1970 movie)
    The scene at the beginning with the breakproof and soundproof glass doors. A very original scene, I don't think a Hollywood director could have come up with this one.
    Mjoll. CLAW. Thelanis.
    Quest maps: on the forums & on DDOWiki
    Item enchantments project: on the forums & on DDOWiki
    Monster information project: on the forums & on DDOWiki

Mostly I find scary movies funny. Nightmare on Elm St., Friday the 13th, Halloween, Poltergeist, etc... all a laugh riot in my book.

However, there are a few...

Ghost Story My all time favorite! The whole damn thing is just scary as hell.

Amityville A beloved American Classic

The Omen Who names their kid Damion after this movie came out?

Ghost Ship Rather cheesy I know, but still quite good for a fright or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    ~locks Erres in the ancient cage~

The Exorcist
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Dungeons and Dragons, it scared me to see a Wayans brother cast in this movie!

Here is a Movie that totally freaked my Dad out

To this day I think it is the only movie I ever saw affect my dad...

And he is a Bronze star Nominee from Vietnam.

Without Warning.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

Quote Originally Posted by Xyfiel View Post
    Dungeons and Dragons, it scared me to see a Wayans brother cast in this movie!
    What was even scarier was that he....

Did a good job.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fridas View Post
    It is about a psychopathic madman obssessed with authority and to keep control of his ship he murders the crew. It is narrated by a crew member who is mute, circa 1944. I think the one you are asking about came out a few years ago, it had the chick in it from ER, do you mean that one? I saw it but can't remember if they had leprosy or were zombies.
    No.. the one I'm thinking about I saw bits and pices of back in the ... mid or early 80s. So I'll be amazed if anyone could actually find it. Not like I have a desire to see it either.

The Last scene in the movie
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers.... (1978)
    The one with Donald Southerland

The courtyard scene...
    I can't imagine how alone she had to feel!
    It still gives me chills...

Freaks: (1932)

the scene where they confront the bride to be.... Yikes!

"Oogle oggle, oogle oggle, one of us, one of us!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
    Freaks: (1932)

the scene where they confront the bride to be.... Yikes!

"Oogle oggle, oogle oggle, one of us, one of us!!!"
    Hm....I wonder if that's why the WF in Haywire's Foundry keep saying that when I run it with my WF. It's a little creepy even without having seen the movie

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

(As a halloween baby, I am drawn to such topics )

No particular order of movie moments that made me jump or disturbed me (and I'll TRY not to spoil for any people haven't seen):

- Jaws: Whole thing. The very concept as a kid made me afraid to get in a bath tub much less go to the beach. It's amazing that I even like swimming as an adult, as I fully expected to develop a fear of swimming after this.

- The Thing: When they're testing the blood to see who is who. The first time I saw it it startled me. The second time, it had been a while and I forgot who was actually the one, so when they got to the one I wasn't expecting it and it scared me even more ><

- The Ring (US version): The chick in the closet. 'nuff said. Although the whole movie in general left us uneasy. Mr. Tolero took me to see it, after which the conversation went "Are you asleep yet?" "No, are you?" "No... Mind if I pull the covers over our heads?" "No."

- The Grudge (US version): Several moments about this one got me. The very first one... the one in the window... and the WORST one to me was when the chick is in her bed and pulls the covers over her head and it only makes matters worse. Ok horror movie, listen up: YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE BED! That's supposed to be the place to turn for security. Pulling the covers over your head is like casting a wall of force against the supernatural! Way to go movie, you've forever ruined me on this security. -_-

- The Shining: You know, I think it's the music from this that creeps me out the most.

- Haunting in Connecticut: I thought the make-up was well done. That and when the lights come on...yeah that one got me.

- Event Horizon: haunted spaceship... DO NOT WANT!

- Reincarnation: it's like the shining but in japan. Creepy dolls DO NOT WANT!

- The Booth: (Hmm use of the word "The" in the title seems to make a difference) This is another foreign film that got me not so much from a "zomg I'm startled" but a "what in the...oh wow didn't see that coming" moment. Wasn't even an extreme budget film either.

- Unrest: Nicely done creepiness factor and one of their highlights was using "real" bodies (as it's set in a medical school, the usage makes sense but that still gives me the shivers as I always feel off about that sort of thing unless I'm 100% sure the person WANTED that done with their remains).

Now I'm curious to hear about some folks favorite scary game moments I'm gathering up some fun tidbits from around the office for a my.ddo article of "Tales from the Pit"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    (As a halloween baby, I am drawn to such topics )

No particular order of movie moments that made me jump or disturbed me (and I'll TRY not to spoil for any people haven't seen):

- Jaws: Whole thing. The very concept as a kid made me afraid to get in a bath tub much less go to the beach. It's amazing that I even like swimming as an adult, as I fully expected to develop a fear of swimming after this.

- The Thing: When they're testing the blood to see who is who. The first time I saw it it startled me. The second time, it had been a while and I forgot who was actually the one, so when they got to the one I wasn't expecting it and it scared me even more ><

- The Ring (US version): The chick in the closet. 'nuff said. Although the whole movie in general left us uneasy. Mr. Tolero took me to see it, after which the conversation went "Are you asleep yet?" "No, are you?" "No... Mind if I pull the covers over our heads?" "No."

- The Grudge (US version): Several moments about this one got me. The very first one... the one in the window... and the WORST one to me was when the chick is in her bed and pulls the covers over her head and it only makes matters worse. Ok horror movie, listen up: YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE BED! That's supposed to be the place to turn for security. Pulling the covers over your head is like casting a wall of force against the supernatural! Way to go movie, you've forever ruined me on this security. -_-

- The Shining: You know, I think it's the music from this that creeps me out the most.

- Haunting in Connecticut: I thought the make-up was well done. That and when the lights come on...yeah that one got me.

- Event Horizon: haunted spaceship... DO NOT WANT!

- Reincarnation: it's like the shining but in japan. Creepy dolls DO NOT WANT!

- The Booth: (Hmm use of the word "The" in the title seems to make a difference) This is another foreign film that got me not so much from a "zomg I'm startled" but a "what in the...oh wow didn't see that coming" moment. Wasn't even an extreme budget film either.

- Unrest: Nicely done creepiness factor and one of their highlights was using "real" bodies (as it's set in a medical school, the usage makes sense but that still gives me the shivers as I always feel off about that sort of thing unless I'm 100% sure the person WANTED that done with their remains).

Now I'm curious to hear about some folks favorite scary game moments I'm gathering up some fun tidbits from around the office for a my.ddo article of "Tales from the Pit"
    I have been playing for 3 years and the story of my scariest moment in game is in this story found on myDDO blog.

http://my.ddo.com/mazeratti/2009/10/...int-at-a-time/

As I play PermaDeath to die is to stay dead = re-roll = real death for toon.

At 1/2 a rank away from LVL 12 and never dying in a quest, to die at this point is a huge loss which = thrill factor 100+ real edge of you seat stuff, not like just watching a horror movie but being a part of one LOL

Talk about a RUSH
    Follow me on TWITTER - IF YOU DARE

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    Hm....I wonder if that's why the WF in Haywire's Foundry keep saying that when I run it with my WF. It's a little creepy even without having seen the movie
    A bit off topic but...

It is little things like that subtle touch...
    that make this game so much greater than the sum
    of it's parts...

Ulcana Braddock~ Quest giver for the quest...

"Missing in Action."

Pure Greatness!

One of the many reasons I love this game!

/End highjack.

1. Exorcist (The first time you see Captain Howdy in the kitchen)

2. Event Horizon (My wife cried in the theater she was so scared)

3. Dawn of the Dead-Remake (The first zombie scene with the husband after the little girl)

4. The Others (When they piece together the end)

5. Session 9 (Creepy, period)

6. Pet Semetary (Raaaccchealll....)

7. Lucio Fulzi's Zombie (Why I took all the bi-lever doors out of my house)

Tasmania - Yes it's an actual place and no, Tasmanian Devils don't spin around and eat people

Quote Originally Posted by Arianrhod View Post
    The Ring - any parent who's been kept up one night too many can identify with the sheer horror of "She never sleeps"
    He he he. Went and saw this at the movies then went back to a mates place for a few beers to watch a game. He took a while in the john and when he came back one of us had recorded some "snow" onto a video. My mate came back sat down, watching the Rugby then all the sudden the TV cuts to snow and that "Shhhhhh" noise. Lucky he had just come back from the loo.
    A friend will bail you out of jail.
    A mate will be sitting in there beside you saying "Damn that was awsome!!!"

Unguilded of Orien

Great thread, Bekki.

No specific order here, and we're talking moments and not the entire film, yeah?

Cloverfield: the scene with the little critters chasing after them in the subway. That sound! It still gets me.

Exorcist III: there is a scene shot late at night in a hospital. You have a long camera shot down a dark hallway and there is only a nurse and a security guard and a sleeping patient in the room nearest the camera. Just typing about that scene gives me goosebumps.

Quarantine: when the fireman falls from the upper level right behind them down onto the tiles of the lobby floor.

The Descent: when the first critter appears right over the cute girl's shoulder when they are looking at everything through the night vision lens of their camera.

Serpent and the Rainbow: "Don't let them bury me, I'm not dead!" And of course they bury the dude.

Monty Pyton and the Holy Grail: the bunny rabbit, man! The BUNNY RABBIT! *psych* Just kidding.

Evil Dead: more gruesome than scary, but the scene when the pencil gets jabbed into the girls achilles tendon and then twisted and twisted and twisted around. Man, I still get up and pace when I see that part.

Audition: the entire end of that flick. Such a cute Japanese girl...and so messed up!

The Ruins: when they pull back the blanket.

Okay, that's all that come to mind for now. Maybe more later.

Again, cool thread.

Thanks

Snip
    Guilds -- Officer: Umber Hulks, Member: Knights of the Silver Dragon (KotSD)
    Characters: Nalinor (Human Rogue lvl 20), Cargonar (Dwarven Fighter lvl 11), Atlanon (Dwarven Fighter 11/Barb. 2). Beltakorr (Human Barb. 18/Fighter 2), Fleabite (Halfling Wiz. lvl 9), Skirahzalon (Drow Bard lvl 8).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast