Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default change Past Life feats to Past Life enhancements

    A little suggestion:

    It has been widely noticed that the feats you can train after having a Past Life feat are almost never worth a feat slot. Therefore, don't make them feats: change them into enhancements buyable with AP.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    A little suggestion:

    It has been widely noticed that the feats you can train after having a Past Life feat are almost never worth a feat slot. Therefore, don't make them feats: change them into enhancements buyable with AP.
    Yeah, at first I thought it's a little unfairly more accessible by classes with bonus feats, particularly Fighters, Monks, and Wizards.

    So then I thought, making them Enhancements would be fair...but then I logged onto my Paladin who is a member of probably the most AP starved class in the game, and I thought that was unfair towards him too.

    So then I figured, I don't know what the solution is, but neither Feats nor Enhancements is it.

  3. #3
    WikiGnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Québec City, Canada
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    ribmle, why would it need to be "fair"? For as long as the addition does not mess with balance too much, there is no problem.

    Some classes will have more chances to gain out of reincarnating. I don't see a problem.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    ribmle, why would it need to be "fair"? For as long as the addition does not mess with balance too much, there is no problem.

    Some classes will have more chances to gain out of reincarnating. I don't see a problem.
    Because I think a game-wide out-of-character mechanic should be fairly accessible to all, especially if they want anyone to bother sticking around to chase that carrot.

  5. #5
    Community Member bobbryan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,703

    Default

    Enhancements would at least be universally useful. Even to classes that reincarnate as themselves.

  6. #6
    WikiGnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Québec City, Canada
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    Because I think a game-wide out-of-character mechanic should be fairly accessible to all
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    [...], especially if they want anyone to bother sticking around to chase that carrot.
    You think that +4 creation points is not enough?
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    then I logged onto my Paladin who is a member of probably the most AP starved class in the game, and I thought that was unfair towards him too.
    The correct fix to that problem is to make all classes AP starved, by creating many more useful AP enhancements. Obviously to start doing that they need to add prestige specialties to Monks, Bards, Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics, and Favored Souls, plus also fix the Human and Drow racial choices.

    That'll be a good start, and then they can add in a few others where AP choices are still too easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    So then I figured, I don't know what the solution is, but neither Feats nor Enhancements is it.
    Well, of course my primary suggestion would work for that:
    Delete the concept of Past Life feats entirely.

    That's what I said as soon as they were announced, because they're simply a bad idea. But I'm guessing the devs will be unwilling to do that, so I make other suggestions to help a little.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    Because I think a game-wide out-of-character mechanic should be fairly accessible to all, especially if they want anyone to bother sticking around to chase that carrot.
    If the rewards for True Reincarnation are insufficient to justify the cost, then they could simply reduce the cost, by not using as large a multiplier on additional XP requirements.

  9. #9
    WikiGnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Québec City, Canada
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Well, of course my primary suggestion would work for that:
    Delete the concept of Past Life feats entirely.

    That's what I said as soon as they were announced, because they're simply a bad idea. But I'm guessing the devs will be unwilling to do that, so I make other suggestions to help a little.
    I don't remember reading your argument against them. Would you mind linking to me to it, please?
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

  10. #10
    The Top Side GoldyGopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    2,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    You think that +4 creation points is not enough?
    I actually don't think +4 creation points is enough, however I may not be able to explain it in this forum very well.

    In my eyes there is a huge differance between 28 and 32 because of the ability to set the two secondary stats to thier maximum need at 32 where you can only set one of those two stats in a 28 point build (without penalizing your self on other stats). However between 32 and 36 there isn't as much gain as the four points only effects tertiary or dump stats.

    When you build characters they have Primary Stat, Secondary Stats and Tertiary Stats and Dump stats.

    For the sake of argument in many builds we are looking at Str - Primary Stat, Con and Dex Secondary Stats, Int and Wis as tertiary stats and finally Chr as Dump Stat. (Okay not a UMD character but).

    Regardless of the number of points you have, 28 - 24, you are going to set you primary stat as high as you can. The problem is to make that stat go up to give an additional +1 modifier you need 6 character creation points.

    Let try to use those additional +4 points towards the secondary stats, um for many characters an additional point in dex is pointless as your AC is capped by Armor, so that leaves con, him an additional 20 HP for all that effort. Not really worth it.

    We move on tertiary stats. Again in many builds the positive is additional points in Int, more skill points but that is a lot of effort to get a total of 10 or 20 additional skill points depending on where they are placed.

    You can of course substitute in a large number of builds with different primary and secondary stats but the result is the same.

    Now on the opposite end of the spectrum are the true power player min max builds that have three secondary stats, this does benefit them but we are talking a much smaller number of builds.

    If you set the first TR at +2 and the Second TR at either +3 (or +4 would be better) most builds would now benefit from the additional points.

    The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    I don't remember reading your argument against them. Would you mind linking to me to it, please?
    Mostly the same as yours: Conflates progression and respecialization.

    Add in:
    Against the D&D 3.5 rules, both literally and in spirit.
    Creates a permanently divergent character power tier (potentially).
    Worse than the +4 build points, because instead of being just more of the same, they are specific features not obtainable any other way.
    Drastically inverted priority over tons of other character options that need design work (enhancements, specialties, existing feats, missing feats, spells, magic items, new classes, new races)

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    178

    Default

    I think you should get the past life feat for free... Paying a feat or AP is kinda dumb as they really are not over powering at all. And honestly getting two stat points and a past life feat still really isnt worth it for me but I may do one character.
    (Khyber) Kasen - Kisa - Natali - Maitas - Jaslyn - Tekeda - Alydar - Tammi - Khenti - Luthius - Meckabot

  13. #13
    WikiGnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Québec City, Canada
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post
    In my eyes there is a huge differance between 28 and 32 because of the ability to set the two secondary stats to thier maximum need at 32 where you can only set one of those two stats in a 28 point build (without penalizing your self on other stats). However between 32 and 36 there isn't as much gain as the four points only effects tertiary or dump stats.
    I agree but I think it's still a strong incentive.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

  14. #14
    Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    Why?

    You think that +4 creation points is not enough?
    Do you mean +2? Or are you talking the insane grind for the second TR as well?

    The first grind MIGHT be almost worth it for +2. The second for a second +2...not a chance.

  15. #15
    The Top Side GoldyGopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    2,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    I agree but I think it's still a strong incentive.
    I consider myself a pretty hard core player with a half-a-dozen 20 a few 19s and another 6 or so level 12 and above characters I originally was very excitied about True Reincarnate. However the problem is for my 16 official hard core builds only 1 sees a "much" improvement in terms of DPS (shes a Dex Build so the four points goes into her Str increasing Damage by 1 point before modifiers, I figure about a 4% increase in DPS) The rest we are looking at Dump stats and maybe 20 additional HP. My incentive as the game goes is pretty much gone.

    Now that doesn't mean i won't use TR since I reroll so many characters, but the current system is not a huge incentive for me to jump up and down for. However with +5 or +6 Build points on the other hand helps 12 out of the 16 builds which would make me more likely to use the function (and more likely to buy the things in the store).

    The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

  16. #16
    WikiGnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Québec City, Canada
    Posts
    24,922

    Default

    Like Angelus_dead said, if the rewards for True Reincarnation are insufficient to justify the cost (and it is), then they could simply reduce the cost.

    If it was left to me, I would not reset tome nor favor and would give a bonus to XP rather than a penalty.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

  17. #17
    Community Member Bloodhaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Soloing another TR to 20.
    Posts
    1,312

    Default

    /signed
    Please consider your future in DDO and invest in HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweez View Post
    And when you do it everyone's like "omg I want to give birth to that guy's BABIES!".

  18. #18
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    19,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    The first grind MIGHT be almost worth it for +2. The second for a second +2...not a chance.
    I would never do either grind for JUST +2 build points.... However, I'll take the +2 build points for the two characters I plan to reincarnate to fix multi-class issues...

    But all my characters who are solid today... no way I'm rerolling them into the exact same character just for 2 more build points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

  19. #19
    Founder Paragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Octopus
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    Like Angelus_dead said, if the rewards for True Reincarnation are insufficient to justify the cost (and it is), then they could simply reduce the cost.

    If it was left to me, I would not reset tome nor favor and would give a bonus to XP rather than a penalty.
    I agree with this entirely. I doubt I will true reincarnate either of my main characters under the current system, although both would certainly benefit, the benefits are too small for so great a cost. I don't want to have to re-run all the favor and re-grind experience just to slightly improve my character. I would be more amiable to the option if I could keep my favor and had it, say, take 75% of the regular XP amount to level up again, but it really isn't worth the time to grind up a character three times to attain the benefits they offer!
    Unofficial Dark Wizard of The Hand of the Black Tower

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasen_Darksword View Post
    I think you should get the past life feat for free... Paying a feat or AP is kinda dumb as they really are not over powering at all. And honestly getting two stat points and a past life feat still really isnt worth it for me but I may do one character.
    i think, either make the feat useful, or give us the useless feat for free. Or do in this way, if the past is the same as current life, you can get the feat for free.

    it's also ok to delete them.
    ddoer.com: timer tracker, completions tracker, search engine, puzzle solver, xp table
    My toons on Argo: Salade TR2 Wiz20, Speedo ESoS Fighter, MangoSalade TR2 Wiz18/Mnk2, EvaHealer Clr18/Mnk2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload