Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by UnderwearModel View Post

We do not know who the ELITE players are because they tend to stick to themselves. Once in awhile venturing out but then they get highly agitated that they are playing with idiots and noobs.
    good stuff right there . clay worded it well

Quote Originally Posted by GATORZ View Post
    If you don't know some1 is an elite player that is what makes him/her leet. If they are close to top in kill count"

Kill count makes a player elite ?

hmm , alot of the time the best DPS and leader in a run may very well have the lowest count, and be the one carring the crew.

DDO Official Troubadour Taurnish's Avatar

Post elite players

In my opinion an Elite player is someone who can work with what they have and is VERY self-sufficient regardless of class being played. Being an elite player has nothing to do with gear really, especially raid gear. It does require as I said some self-sufficiency so some source of income for pots and such. It does not mean getting a full set of +2 tomes on a character though. Also, an Elite player can end up taking a bad PUG through a tough quest and not just carry their stones through it.....help them get through it.

An Elite-ist is someone who thinks they are so much better than others but often cannot run stuff as a group and many of these I have seen are obnoxious and self-centered....."you have to do it my way types." They may always talk about how many HP they have and how much damage their firewall does or their blade barrier.

Many Uber , Elite-ists do play hours upon hours each day and the casual player will never be good enough for them. Even within a guild this can occur. They will never be satisfied and even if they have 20 planar girds in the bank and a kardin's eye on every toon at lvl 11 as well as the exact dragontouched armor they desire....... it is still not enough.

The person who can solo deleras tomb practically on most any class without a bunch of tweaked gear like lvl 8 disrupters or sun blades and run it with mainly lvl 4 stuff is elite. To me elite is also someone who can lead and explain things within the game. A true elite player will cruise a group of novice PUGS through VONS 1-4 and make it at the appropriate level even with some gimped toons and make it seem almost easy.

Also, elite players need not know every quest. However, they can be thrown into a new situation and not moan and complain and still get the job done no matter what. I know very few elite players and have been here a long time. They can help a failing party regroup and take charge of a situation and CALMLY lead to the eventual success of the quest even if it is a challenge and painful. And I will say this, a true elite player....will accept that challenge of a failing group and overcome it. The weak one is usually the uber, elite-ist who leaves the quest and drops party.

This game has too many Elite-ist types and I wish many of them would understand others wish to play for fun, not just race to lvl 20. I know many of you will disagree with what I have said but then again I don't play very much with you either do I? By choice I will say.

So Aldror I may have given you more of an answer than you wanted.....but it is my honest opinion...... and I do realize my guild name does have Elite in it. I will say though I consider my guildleader, Win, a true Elite player.....at least by my definition as described above. I will not name others as this will only become a thread about who is the best and it is not the intent of the original post.
    Proud member of Truth Seekers and Windscar Elite on Argonessen! Too many alts to list. Jimmyhendrix, Jimipage, Ironzealot, Lorrsane, Cannedheat, Tuarnish, etc.

well, the OP said say what you 'think' is elite to you....

bu I gotta disagree with the 'gear does not matter' types....

sorry, but all that grinding raid gear and super long grinding crafting can make an incredible difference and it does..

the very high stats, the incredibly high ACs, the huge bonuses to skills and DCs, the extra everything matters a ton.

I will agree, that outside of the very hard elite quests, that most really good players will still do quite well without all that stuff...but can still easily be shown up by a gear twinked 'ok' player.

and many elites are not that good at the non-elite dungeons...they just do not know how to play other than a certain style....
    It is funny to watch them though in those situations...lol

'hey, I am in waterworks...look I am 5th level and I am gonna intimidate the kobalds so all you wizards can hit them from behind'

wizards: dude, you are the only tank and you are fifth level, just frickin hit em, we are 3rd level.

Fighter: you guys are noobs

sigh

Most of you have described a good leader not an Elite player.

An Elite player not only has the knowledge of the quest but also the keyboard skills and a superb attention to detail whether they are leading the party or not.

Seriously, if you are carrying soul stones anywhere often, you are not an Elite player, an Elite player would never have let it get that out of hand...

DDO Official Troubadour Taurnish's Avatar

Thumbs up agreed

Quote Originally Posted by UnderwearModel View Post
    We do not know who the ELITE players are because they tend to stick to themselves. Once in awhile venturing out but then they get highly agitated that they are playing with idiots and noobs.
    I do agree with this in general. Most are unknown to the general player but known to certain groups very well. Some always get invites as soon as they log in to raids, quests, etc.
    Proud member of Truth Seekers and Windscar Elite on Argonessen! Too many alts to list. Jimmyhendrix, Jimipage, Ironzealot, Lorrsane, Cannedheat, Tuarnish, etc.

Mostly just a cool name, the rest is fluff.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!
    Aeneas - Boosterseat - Eulogy - Diminutive - Moths

an elite player is one that can take any class/build combo with 0 gear and solo korthos island on elite at lvl 2. As elite means skill, not gear, not knowledge of game or how long you have been playing.

On ghallanda we had this discussion a few months ago. Here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=188558
    Ooglys Pet WF 18Wiz/2Rogue, Oogli 18 Bard/2Fighter, Ooog Ly 12 fighter/6 Ranger/2 Monk, Ogly 20th Cleric, Oogly 20th Rogue, Ooogly 20th Paladin, Oooogly 20th Fighter , Gallion 20th Sorcerer

Ennervated,mind blasted,psionically dominated,encased in stone in the subterrane

Quote Originally Posted by Vorn View Post
    What makes an Elite player? His/her friends.
    Thats true.

When I think elite I think of players who can put the smackdown on elite endgame stuff. Instantly destroy and/or CC a room full of mega-hitpoint superboosted saves/spell resitance high DPS mobs as if they were kobolds.

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post

Nobody said anything about "gear doesnt matter". Only "gear is less important than skill and knowledge", which is completely different from "gear doesnt mater".
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

There once was an uber player named Lex
    Had no need for the opposite sex
    He said with a grin
    As he pwnd you again
    Being asexual's all about Dex

(I need a better last line there...)
    Captain's Crew - Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Elite player has absolutely nothing to do with gear or build, though they tend to have good gear and good builds.

Nor do they try to show off and solo the quest with 11 soul stones in their pocket to "prove" their uberness. .
    QFT - Elite players NEVER have to prove it.
    This is not the sig you are looking for.

I agree with some of the previous posters: an Elite Player is one which can accept anyone into their party or raid and have the confidence and ability to complete the quest regardless of which classes are in the party or what level everyone is.

Also, people used to ask me how I was so successful in Permadeath... I used to tell them that it was 33% character build and gear, 33% twitch (fast Internet connection speed, active motion in combat (positioning your character with respect to mobs, jumping, tumbling, retreating when necessary), and knowing your User Interface intimately so you can use items, spells, etc. quickly when needed), and 34% knowledge of the quests and proven strategies to beat them.
    -Omega2K

"Adventure is not outside; it is within."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    Nobody said anything about "gear doesnt matter". Only "gear is less important than skill and knowledge", which is completely different from "gear doesnt mater".
    I believe top-notch gear is a refelection of an Elite player, as opposed to the definition of one. Gear is a reflection of the investment of time and energy to be a good player.

I also agree, that an elite player can make the best of whatever gear they have, and that may well be the difference. An elite player has the commitment to make the best of any situation, and the resolve to actually do so.
    This is not the sig you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by In_Like_Flynn View Post

One half of all Elite Players play well despite their equipment.
    One half of all Elite Players play well because of their equipment.
    The other half can't add.

+1 rep, that made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
    well, the OP said say what you 'think' is elite to you....

sorry, but all that grinding raid gear and super long grinding crafting can make an incredible difference and it does..

the very high stats, the incredibly high ACs, the huge bonuses to skills and DCs, the extra everything matters a ton.
    Yes, No one here is saying that gear is not important. They are just saying that experience,knowledge and the ability to perform despite the fact that things went to hell in a hand bag are far more important.

You give the average player a char that is fully equiped we are talking the best possible gear set up for what the char is supposed to do. Then take an elite player that has average to below average gear. The Elite player will still be able to EASILY out perform the average player.

Your average player usually does not know what their char can and can not do. The elite players do.

When things go bad the average player tends to panic and makes mistakes that get them killed. Elite players remain calm and continue to play smart.

Easiest way to tell when you have been in group with an elite person ... if you find yourself saying/thinking "Wow that has to be one of the smoothest xxxx runs I have been on" or "holy **** ... I thought we where going to wipe there ... good recovery guys". While gear helps make those smooth runs go smooth and make it through tough group wiping situations ... the players are what really make the difference.

Milolyen

I always thought you are only as elite as others make you out to be. I consider a few people ive had the pleasure of running with as elite players yet they do not consider themselves such. They love the game use their knowledge to help others and make the game enjoyable for those around them. Elite is only as important as a status title is to someone seeking such attention. It comes down to how much fun the game is and what your part in making the fun for yourself and others is.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Elite player has absolutely nothing to do with gear or build, though they tend to have good gear and good builds.

An Elite player is the person who consistently saves a quest from disaster. Who takes a less than optimal group and sails through a tough quest, making it seem easy, through leadership and strategy. Someone who does not panic when things go pear shaped. Nor do they try to show off and solo the quest with 11 soul stones in their pocket to "prove" their uberness. Rather they will retreat, heal up, res the clr, and lead the party through the mess.
    I would like to add that an Elite Player would be able as described above plus maintain a personal/family life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawiki View Post
    Most of you have described a good leader not an Elite player.
    A good leader is an elite player. Everything else (build, gear and experience) can be obtained by anyone with the ability to not drool on their keyboard and ample free-time.

Honestly, it takes a special type of stupid to play a game 20+ hours a week for 3 years and still suck.

PS - I am not a good leader -- lotta respect for those that are.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast