Default Now is the time for Greensteel Deconstruction

With new forms of crafting coming from rings and now Epic crafting, we now have many ways to customize our character's gear set-up. This is a good thing! I'm for anything that allows flexibility.

However, being able to craft other greensteel effects on these rings, and also the possibility of being able to consolidate gear through this crafting system and the upcoming Epic crafting, is no doubt going to have people banking greensteels that had these effects on them in favor of other gear set-ups.

For example, my wizard Sohryu currently has Blue Dragonscale with an INT +9 scepter in her offhand. After thinking about the new crafting and rearranging her gear, I'm starting to think it may be better to craft INT +9 when she gets her Rakhir's Ring, then switch to Dragontouched robes and a Greenblade/Skiver. So off goes her INT +9 scepter to collect dust in the bank, those ingredients seemingly gone to waste.

I'm sure many others have scenarios similar to this. It'd be great if we could "melt down" those old greensteel and get our ingredients back. I know I'd feel much better about Sohryu's equipment swap if her old scepter went to some sort of use.

I feel now is the time for some sort of Greensteel Deconstruction. The changing nature of the game has given us other options for our gear, and it'll be a shame for all that past crafting to be banked or even sold. Make it a favor reward, or put "melting pots" or some such item that would allow it in the end rewards list for 20/40/60/etc. Shrouds or ToDs, or (I hate myself for even suggesting this) offer it in the DDO Store.

A Dev response to this would be appreciated but I'm also interested to see what my fellow forumites think as well
    * Sohryu * (Life #25: 13 BRD / 1 FTR / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

They have no reason to remove your incentive to go back and grind shroud again, and there's pretty much no reason they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    They have no reason to remove your incentive to go back and grind shroud again, and there's pretty much no reason they would.
    Well this is why I suggested putting the means to deconstruct greensteel as 20/40/60 Shroud end reward possibilities, then you'll still have to do Shrouds if you want the option.

If for no other reason, you should be able to deconstruct greensteel items for mistakes. I recently spent a huge amount of time in Shroud and made a very minor deviance to the recipe on accident. The result is that I wasted all that time and energy.

/signed (if for nothing more than ppl who don't want to grind Shroud a million more times!)
    “No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy”

Is the right answer. I'll have "Motivations For 300, Bob"

It'll be counted as a positive that people will have to run The Shroud a ton more times if they want to re-optimise their gear now that other items have taken up those slots or duplicated bonuses.

Community Member

False on both.

The incentive is customer satisfaction + retention, and the reasons are numerous:
    1. User error.
    2. Developer error, such as inadvertently giving Greataxe more DPS than Falchion for three years.
    3. New higher-level loot added (not a valid reason)

More specifically, if the devs change the underlying game rules about what items are useful, then they should give out tokens to respec a greensteel item onto another blank. That is not the same as them introducing more loot later which competes with greensteel.

Hmm, I thought more people would be into this.

You all love grinding Shroud that much?

People dont like it, but there's been so many of these threads with no commentary I think people are pretty resigned.

People dont like it, but there's been so many of these threads with no commentary I think people are pretty resigned.
    Nah I probably would have gotten more responses if I'd whined and cried and demanded things, at least people would have come to flame me for being wanky.

Lesson learned.