Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Denssor View Post
    If your willing to buy an item that overpriced, fine I don't care, but are you willing to place an item on the AH that overpriced when you will lose 30% before anyone gets to see it?
    No. I would then put NO good items on the Auction House, as the risk of eating that massive fee would be unacceptable. I'd do everything of value by forum-based trade.

You have to be VERY careful not to do things that discourage legitimate sellers. There is a major danger of making the Auction House completely useless in a quest to make it a little better.

Btw, this has been extensively discussed in other threads, including:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=195597
    Last edited by Thanimal; 10-16-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Here is a trendy idea... Turbine creates and sells a Auction House Voucher in the store that when consumed reduces the tarrif to 15% from 30% for all auction listed in the next 6 hours. They'll sell just about everything else sooner or later so this should fit right in. Eh?

I've been playing DDO sence Mod 1. The AH has its up and downs and I'm personaly sitting on a small fortune that a baby dragon would use but not an adult one hehe. For the most part I find the only things that tend to be massivly inflated are the low level twink items and the mad lute but that is because I want one at a non stupid price for looks not use!

I generaly try not to use buyouts and would keep bidding on an item I wanted. I'm a very frugle buyer I try to only buy what I REALLY need like that last shroud igredent for crafting or trying to find a Ring of Shadows that ISN'T for a million plat! As a seller you are trying to place items at a price that you will make the most money while not costing you that much in effort or time hehe.

So its sound like you are advocating a 30% posting fee based on min bid and no back end?

Wouldn't this encourage everyone to throw up all items they want to sell (trash included) at a min bid of 1plat?

Wouldn't this negate the way to pull plat from the game?

Wouldn't this effectively eliminate setting of all min bids?

If, to counter this, you force some arbitrary min bid on a per item basis, where do you come up with these artificial, and debatably arbitrary numbers?

- Minimum Level? a +1 vorpal sword, and +5 keen sword might have the same ML
    - Prefix/Suffix? a +1 vorpal shurkin, and +1 vorpal kopesh have the same prefix

Quote Originally Posted by captfurious View Post
    So its sound like you are advocating a 30% posting fee based on min bid and no back end?

Wouldn't this encourage everyone to throw up all items they want to sell (trash included) at a min bid of 1plat?
    I didn't even think of that...
    Denssor | Lightfire | Fryckie | Kaytrilla | Zayle | Zemenex

Community Member

Default low level vs high level

From reading the posts it seems the AH isn't that bad if you have a gazillion plats but if your a lowbie it still kinda sucks. I like the voucher idea that Turbine could sell for Turbine Points that would take away the auction fees if the auction is placed or even ends in the next X hours. However, seeing how Turbine recently changed their model for f2p we need to have a system that doesn't alienate the current players and doesn't discourage the new players. The current prices (not to mention the lack of search capability) do not help new players to keep coming back to use the AH.

30% fee helps control the economy in a BIG way, its not thoughtlessly put there, its an actual mechanic that works amazingly well. Learn to value it, it shows good MMO design.

Currently the only ways to make money besides getting from chests is selling to vendors, at first vendors give about 1/10 the base value of the item, favor and haggle increase that but never too much, selling to a broker gives more money but youll never get more than 1/3 the value of the item, these are the only ways to produce money in the game.

When you buy an item from AH 30% of that Goes Away, Puff, its Destroyed, that is money gone, usually, more than is created through vendor/broker sales. When you buy stuff from brokers to sell on AH (i do that so much im addicted to it, and it payed for my smiters and banishers, and all my high pot/wand upkeep so far) you are further destroying money. Money destruction is a good thing for economic balance. and 30% is the right mark. Imagine if there wasnt the fee, how much more money would there be floating around (and for all the old servers its too much already), that would make AH prices even more jacked up, it wouldnt make you able to afford more, it would just inflate the economy.

So, /not signed.

hope the math expert veterans can make this clearer.

If, to counter this, you force some arbitrary min bid on a per item basis, where do you come up with these artificial, and debatably arbitrary numbers?

This would help people that are low on plat and need to make it from auctioning. Removing plat from game generally hurts those that have the least from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

I didn't even think of that...
    More significantly, everyone would post with a min bid of 1 plat and then log in with an Alt to put in a bid for what the real min price they want. Worst case scenario is that no one bids and they get their money back. Less 3 gold of course.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

90% of what I see on the AH is not worth the price it is set for.

Like you said before it won't matter, it's still 30%, but people won't put things on the AH for a ridiculous amount if it's not going to sell and they have to pay the fee upfront.
    If you did that I would only put valuable items in the forums and vendor anything not worth 50,000+ plat here... it wouldnt be worth while putting up on the AH had middle of the road stuff only sells part of the time. basically you'd kill the market.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12