Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Community Member jboyd158's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    185

    Default Book of Law/Chaos/Neutrality/Good/Evil

    Can we see some items in the store that let you change your alignment? I suggest they be books that are one use items that change your character to that alignment, and can even deduct Exp if you change too drastically.

    Tome of Pure Existence
    This book, when read, shows you the reasons to an existence devoted to helping others. You become a Neutral Good character and lose xxxx experience if you were of the Evil alignment. This experience loss cannot cause you to lose levels.

    Tome of Prideful Existence
    This book, when read, shows you the reasons to an existence devoted to self ambition. You become a Neutral Evil character and lose xxxx experience if you were of the Good alignment. This experience loss cannot cause you to lose levels.

    Tome of Lawful Existence
    This book, when read, shows you the reasons to an existence devoted to following the law. You become a Lawful Neutral character and lose xxxx experience if you were of the Chaotic alignment. This experience loss cannot cause you to lose levels.

    Tome of Free Existence
    This book, when read, shows you the reasons to an existence devoted to freedom and expression. You become a Chaotic Neutral character and lose xxxx experience if you were of the Lawful alignment. This experience loss cannot cause you to lose levels.

    Tome of Righteous Purity
    This book, when read, shows you the reasons to an existence devoted to bettering the world for others. You become a Lawful Good character and lose xxxx experience if you were of the Evil or Chaotic alignment, and twice as much if you were of the Chaotic Evil alignment. This experience loss cannot cause you to lose levels.

    Tome of Righteous Freedom
    This book, when read, shows you the reasons to an existence devoted to using your talent to help others. You become a Chaotic Good character and lose xxxx experience if you were of the Evil or Lawful alignment, and twice as much if you were of the Lawful Evil alignment. This experience loss cannot cause you to lose levels.

    Tome of Diabolical Judgment
    This book, when read, shows you the reasons to an existence devoted to bringing the lawbreakers to justice, no matter the cost. You become a Lawful Evil character and lose xxxx experience if you were of the Chaotic or Good alignment, and twice that much if you were of the Chaotic Good alignment. This experience loss cannot cause you to lose levels.

    Tome of Diabolical Atrocity
    This book, when read, shows you the reasons to an existence devoted to hurting all who don't follow you. You become a Chaotic Evil character and lose xxxx experience if you were of the Lawful or Good alignment, and twice that if you were of the Lawful Good alignment. This experience loss cannot cause you to lose levels.

    Tome of Enlightened Balance
    This book, when read, shows you the path to true enlightenment, an how it doesn't waver from good to evil or lawful to chaotic. You become a True Neutral character and lose xxxx experience if you were not of neutral alignment. This experience loss cannot cause you to lose levels.


    Any feedback on the idea is wanted, so please say any thoughts!

  2. #2
    Community Member joe420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    24

    Default Nice work

    I assume it's nice work. I'm not reading all that. When you make your character pay attention. Maybe even know what you're doing. Then you don't need 20 books of I changed my mind I'm chaotic neutral now.

  3. #3
    Founder GreyRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Thelanis, the Faerie Court
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joe420 View Post
    I assume it's nice work. I'm not reading all that. When you make your character pay attention. Maybe even know what you're doing. Then you don't need 20 books of I changed my mind I'm chaotic neutral now.
    And if you are a new player, make sure that you telepathically know about all of the alignment-restricted gear that you might want to use at higher levels.

    I like the idea, OP. I'm not sure about allowing PCs to be evil, but I honestly can't get too worked up about it either way.

  4. #4
    Community Member jboyd158's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyRogue View Post
    And if you are a new player, make sure that you telepathically know about all of the alignment-restricted gear that you might want to use at higher levels.

    I like the idea, OP. I'm not sure about allowing PCs to be evil, but I honestly can't get too worked up about it either way.
    I don't see why not, just another role-play mechanism. And this is more for people like me who, from a role-play standard, would love to be that guy who is a monk up until like level 4 or so, and then loses sight of the path of law and becomes a Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Good Barbarian who uses his martial arts in a tavern brawling style character.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd158 View Post
    I don't see why not, just another role-play mechanism. And this is more for people like me who, from a role-play standard, would love to be that guy who is a monk up until like level 4 or so, and then loses sight of the path of law and becomes a Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Good Barbarian who uses his martial arts in a tavern brawling style character.
    I don't ever want anything like Monk/Barbarian or Paladin/Bard to be possible. I can't articulate exactly why, it's just too far out from the source material for my liking. That being said, I think alignment changes should be allowed. However, you shouldn't be able to create 'illegal' builds.

    If you took a Paladin level, you'll always be stuck at Lawful Good (unless you True Reincarnate of course).

    If you took a Monk level, you'll always have to be Lawful, but you could go from Lawful Neutral to Lawful Good if you wanted.

    Un-restricted classes like Fighter and Rogue could of course change to whatever they wanted.

  6. #6
    Community Member jboyd158's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    I don't ever want anything like Monk/Barbarian or Paladin/Bard to be possible. I can't articulate exactly why, it's just too far out from the source material for my liking. That being said, I think alignment changes should be allowed. However, you shouldn't be able to create 'illegal' builds.

    If you took a Paladin level, you'll always be stuck at Lawful Good (unless you True Reincarnate of course).

    If you took a Monk level, you'll always have to be Lawful, but you could go from Lawful Neutral to Lawful Good if you wanted.

    Un-restricted classes like Fighter and Rogue could of course change to whatever they wanted.
    Are you saying your character can't have an epiphany? Use the rules and make it so that you lose abilities on those classes. Also, look up the feat Devoted Preformer in response to the Pally/Bard comment.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I would be pro such a thing if the efects ofthe book were hidden.
    I.e.you read the book and don´t know beforehand that it will change your alignment (or atleast into which alignment it will change you). Only after reading it you will discover its effects (howeverafter reading the book once it becomes inactive, just like a 1 charge item, so thatyou cannot use it on another char of your account to change his/her alignment in a planned manner)

    This way it would work just like the belt of gender change in PnP D&D (or other cursed items with permanent effects on your char), where you also don´t discover its effects until it is too late (and it cannot be undone, unless you find another, similar item)

  8. #8
    Community Member z0mbyjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey... the bottomless pit of doom
    Posts
    216

    Default Its so easy being evil...

    In a roleplaying sense, being evil's easy. Evil never really agrees with evil...
    Lawful Evil characters arrange for other evil characters to be quietly assassinated so he may gain power.
    Chaotic Evil characters kill other evil characters themselves, making a public scene of it.
    Pretty much, Evil never gets along. That's why it'd be easy to do quests...

    In a party sense, there's no real reason why it's possible for your chaotic evil barbarian character to repeatedly work together with a lawful good paladin...

  9. #9
    The Hatchery sirgog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arculea View Post
    I would be pro such a thing if the efects ofthe book were hidden.
    I.e.you read the book and don´t know beforehand that it will change your alignment (or atleast into which alignment it will change you). Only after reading it you will discover its effects (howeverafter reading the book once it becomes inactive, just like a 1 charge item, so thatyou cannot use it on another char of your account to change his/her alignment in a planned manner)

    This way it would work just like the belt of gender change in PnP D&D (or other cursed items with permanent effects on your char), where you also don´t discover its effects until it is too late (and it cannot be undone, unless you find another, similar item)
    One doubts the store would sell many copies of the "Tome of Random Alignment".

    Alignment change makes sense from an RP perspective, and allows players to correct a build mistake that is not obvious at first but can be devastating at endgame.

    IMO it should be added to Greater Reincarnation, and so should the ability to discard up to two levels (so a CN Ftr18/Brb2 could change to a LN Ftr18, and be able to earn two Monk levels through additional questing if they see fit).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

    I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload