Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Permadeath 101 - A Place to Learn the Style

IF you are interested in learning the mechanics and strategies of the game in a setting where group dynamics and team interaction put it all on the line I invite you to run with one of our Friday Night DDO Permadeath 101 Groups.

Starting this Friday night one of our members is taking new members in our guild and those who may wish to experience DDO within a perma-death setting through the various starting grounds of the game.

Each week at a time TBD a new cohort will go forth following a program that will introduce you to the important aspects of the game - if you want to play it in a tactically and strategically minded way.

The course is a four week program which will let you experience game on an the various levels to experience how the mechanics and your characters dynamically interact - all while having the challenge of staying alive. You'll meet new friends and learn how to play off of each others strengths and hopefully develop a team spirit.

Week One - Korthos Village and Island Quests and Explorer wil be run through Misery's Peak. The group leaders are going to sit back and let the group figure things out and maybe make some mistakes which are hopefully not lethal!

Week Two - You're now in the Harbor. Want to learn how shamans act differently on varying difficulty settings - you'll find out. Need to learn how to use your boosts or how to sound pull - you'll get to try it out. Want to figure out some good kill zones - your group will discover them with an experienced mentor at your side who will not direct you, but guide you through these quests allowing you to figure the game out.

Week Three - Off to the Market where the quests are tougher and the loot is beter. The quests here range from Lvl to 2 to 5 and you'll get a chance to see how your character and team has improved. How do you avoid going splat from bad falls - you'll find out. What does poison do to you and how to protect yourself from it? How are Trog Casters Different than Kobold Casters? All of these things will be discovered - through experience.

Week Four - You will explore some of the House Tavern Quests with your team. By this time you'll be close to Level Five or maybe Six. Hopefully, you'll be immersed in the tense style of Permadeath Play - and hopefully you will be craving more.

We will run this series with any new members who wish to join. At this point we are planning four cohorts to run at different times. So, if you can't make it one week - you can hop on with another group if there is space available.

The first group lands on Korthos on Friday Night 7PM EST.

If this interests you, do the following.

Reply to this thread
    Register on our website (link at sig line)
    Responed to the Korthos For New Players Thread with your adventurer's name.
    Roll up your adventurer
    Be on time - ready to roll

At this moment we have a few spots still available.

To make this experience easy for all to access none of the Premium quests will be run.

If you can't make this Friday - follow this thread or the thread on our website for different cohorts.

Our guild has 100 members who represent about 200 adventurers. Typically in a 24 hour frame we have about 50 adventurers active each day. We are active from the early AM through the early AM the next day - with peak times being 7PM to 3AM EST. Normally we hit 12 to 20 simulataneious adventurers online during this time.

Since we do not allow Pick up Groups - we are a very tight community.
    Since we are Permadeath and run quests on level we don't ZERG.
    Since we have strict rules restricting the use of the AH, BROKERS, TWINKING, and BUYING CONSUMABLE MAGIC - we exercise economy and play as a community.

Typically we will have enough adventurers to accomodate numerous groups. We also have daily suggested guild events for Lower, Middle and Higher level play.

If this sounds like something that fits your desires...give us a try.

Even after playing PD for over 2 years, I still get scared - like tonight when a group of Lvl 4 to 6 adventurers were doing a level 7 quest on hard. We all got out alive, but it took "EVERYTHING" we had to do so. And yes...I had a few OH MY moments. You don't get that when you die/rez/recall or when the next adventure means the next shopping spree. You do get that rush when you run challenging quests where death is final". Sort of like PNP.

KG Wiking
    Play as a TEAM: Together Everyone Accomplishes More

I'd like to try this out. I'm fairly new but this sounds really fun!

- I couldn't find the Korthos For New Players Thread. 8(
    - I'll edit again tonight to state my name after I roll my char.

- Sorry I couldnt get on the comp. last night to roll my character. Is there somone in game I may pm when I do tonight?
    Last edited by Killage; 10-16-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Sorry I missed your message.

Did you get in the group last night?

If not another is starting this Friday.

There are also spots in some of the many consistent teams - which have just started and one that is reforming.

Give me an in game tell or use guild chat.

Since we have MANY new members who are new to the game and the PD experience we are offering a lot of consistent teams so people can group and learn the game if needed. Below is a list.

Key people:

Holy Warriors (Sunday 230 to 6PM EST) Talk to KG Wiking
    Dungeon Crawlers 830 to 11 PM Monday and Wedesday Talk to Blagga
    PD Tour for New Players Cohort One Talk to Stokes (on chapter two)
    PD Tour for New Players Cohort Two Talk to Thad (Starting this week most likely Pacific Evening)
    PD Tour for New Players Corhort Three (GMT 0 Starting October 30th) Talk to KG Wiking
    Saturday Morning Toons (Vanaba and/or Omae US AM Saturdays)

We also have a lot of people doing open questing - talk to them and hook up with a low level group.

KG

Default Second Wave Starts 10/23

A second cohort will head out from Korthos on 10/23 at 10PM EST.

Information is on the guild forums.

KG Wiking

Community Member

I'm interested in joining some sort of PD guild; I imagine I might be immensely frustrated but I'd love to give it a try! So, when is the next group starting? Also, for spells that resurrect the dead- are those banned? (Only one off the top of my head I've never used, so I don't know what it does.... (Elven Cleric, Undying Court thing- gives True Resurrection, I believe))

Smile

I would love to play in PD group.

I work third shift and Saturday and Sunday night are my prime time. Any groups running then and what server?

I would prefer to play on a server other than Ghallanda, as that is where my other toons are.

Thanks
    QuikSylvar Monk 2 (Ghallanda)

Default re

We are on Ghallanda - so that could be a problem for you unless you have empty slots.

You may find you like it enough not to switch back.

Look for us in game.

There are other PD guilds out there on other servers --- check their threads, but I hope you stay close to home.

KG Wiking
    Valhalla Permadeath Guild

Community Member

I am interested in running with you folks if you're still doing the PD 101 groups. I registered and also posted in your forums. Hope to hear from ya soon

another 101 thread?
    If you want to know why...

Quote Originally Posted by Saicosis View Post
    I am interested in running with you folks if you're still doing the PD 101 groups. I registered and also posted in your forums. Hope to hear from ya soon
    Glad to have you aboad, Saicosis --- I hope you are enjoying DDO in a greater way!

KG

Default The Numbers

Registered Members in Forum - 158
    Forum Activity Last 24 Hours 31 members and guests logged in and read or posted.

In Game Activity
    Active Adventurers in Guild - 201 (inactive members are deleted on a weekly basis) of one month per level OR automatically after three months inactivity.
    Last 24 hours - 57 Adventurers Logged in (representing 26 separate members)
    Last 7 Days 166 Adventurers logged in (representing over 40 members)

I don't make up the numbers; there is no need to do so.

However, these numbers show that The Valhalla Permadeath Guild is a particularly active guild with a strong membership base and may be a good place for people who wish to play the Permadeath Style to explore this way of recreation.

KG

Quote Originally Posted by mickey2toes View Post
    I would love to play in PD group.

I work third shift and Saturday and Sunday night are my prime time. Any groups running then and what server?

I would prefer to play on a server other than Ghallanda, as that is where my other toons are.

Thanks
    QuikSylvar Monk 2 (Ghallanda)
    We are a small guild on Khyber, about 10 months old. We accept any player who has read the rules on our webpage and joins with a level 1 character. The guild name is The Core HC Permadeath Guild. Website: thecorehc.home.comcast.net

We are a hardcore permadeath guild which means we self-impose a pretty strict ruleset: no shrines, no transfer of items between characters including alts, no purchase of magic weapons, armor, wands, scrolls, pots, etc.

It's not an elitist thing, but it's definitely suitable to people who know the game. What is left in terms of strategy and tactics if you know most quests by heart and yet allow yourself to die and rez, twink your build, or recall and reenter?

But the no-spoiling rule will also benefit new players who are seeing the content for the first time. You are not told: go over there, be ready for X mob, cast such and such a spell, etc. Why spoil the fun?

When death is on the line, everything becomes more interesting. Look for us on Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    But the no-spoiling rule will also benefit new players who are seeing the content for the first time. You are not told: go over there, be ready for X mob, cast such and such a spell, etc. Why spoil the fun?
    I fully agree --- I hate it when people spoil - and I particularly hate it when it is done to "expedite things".

Creative clues are better and sometimes learning the hard way is the best teacher.

KG

Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KGWiking View Post
    I fully agree --- I hate it when people spoil - and I particularly hate it when it is done to "expedite things".

Creative clues are better and sometimes learning the hard way is the best teacher.

KG
    I personally like a simple "be ready" with no note of what is to come

or

"let's scout up ahead"

or my favourite

"retreat to the doorway"

When it comes to learning it the hard way, those that wish to run in are welcome to, but I always inform them if you are going to rush into every situation wherever it may be, one of these times you may find me standing back still in sneak mode!!!

Teamwork and tactics are vital to Permadeath success!!! Spoilers arent necessary!!!
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 63, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc Epic TR 2nd Life Level 9, Repentnarc 16, Gatlingnarc 15, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

I say be ready a great deal -

Again Scout Scout Scout...

Look at the dungeon and the entry screen and read the text or advise new members to do so.

Saying, "I'm right behind you" can mean a lot and that's become a code phrase at times for...."Dude, slow it down".

My favorite warning is - "This looks like a one way trip to Korthos"

KG

Community Member

Default Sooo

Is there a regular permadeath 101 group? I have been reading up and think it might be a fun new way to play. I have a main character that I really enjoy playing, but would like to try this style as well. I have young kids so sometimes my time is limited. I have been to the website. Should I create a brand new character and then just find someone online? Also, I read up on the rules but feel that I will get a better feel for it with a mentored group so that I can see how things are done. Is that possible? I don't want to accidently cheat but I am not sure that I am clear on everything.

I dont trust a permadeath thread without a post from Parvo...
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Default re

Quote Originally Posted by Redlotusninjagrl View Post
    Is there a regular permadeath 101 group? I have been reading up and think it might be a fun new way to play. I have a main character that I really enjoy playing, but would like to try this style as well. I have young kids so sometimes my time is limited. I have been to the website. Should I create a brand new character and then just find someone online? Also, I read up on the rules but feel that I will get a better feel for it with a mentored group so that I can see how things are done. Is that possible? I don't want to accidently cheat but I am not sure that I am clear on everything.

We do have a few officers who have said they would like to take another tour around.

The best way to do so would be to look at our guild - see if our rules fit your interests and then apply/join. The tours could then be arranged via our web message board.

I can pretty much guarantee that it would be rare that you would be running alone, and I know that our players are very patient with newcomers to the game/guild. We typically have a higher and a lower group(s) on for most of the day, but particularly in the EST daytime and Evening hours.

Link to the forums in the signature line.

KG

Thumbs up

I luv PD it has given me a whole new interest in DDO - give it a try at least if you havent already.

I only just discovered the joys of "****ing" oneself in game this year, so Im relatively new to it. My highest toon is my LVL 12 Acrobat Rogue (see sig)

My hairiest moment yet, was surviving a RED Dungeon Alert in the Vale, just my LVL 12 Ranger friend, and Kyora. It was orange but as we were waiting out in the water the mobs went and got more back up, so we recalled

It was such a rush, that we had to call it quits right there and drop down and do Sharns on some lowbies to chill

Keep up the good work, spreading the word and joy of PD

/+1 rep
    Last edited by Mazeratti; 12-11-2009 at 02:32 AM.
    Follow me on TWITTER - IF YOU DARE

Quote Originally Posted by adamkatt View Post
    I dont trust a permadeath thread without a post from Parvo...
    Just for you...

Try permadeath
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast