Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Learn about Canada!

I've spent a lot of time in groups with Canadians over the years I've played DDO, and I've come to realize that I really don't know that much about Canada. While I've picked up some tidbits of information from people in game that actually live there, I could never be sure if they were being serious or not. So, being the inquisitive type, I decided to go out and actually learn a few things about Canada. Now, some of you might assume I would read about Canada in a book, on the internet, or some other silly source like that, but I learned a long time ago that you can't trust anything you read in a book. So, I decided to get my hands dirty with some field work.

Living in Virginia makes actually GOING to Canada a slightly difficult proposition. While contemplating how I would go about making such a trip(Figuring out what essentials I'd need, such as a sled, some dogs, snowshoes, a tolerance for bad beer, and a "Hockey for Dummies" book.), I hit upon a much simpler solution. Busch Gardens has an area devoted to Canada. Ok, technically they call it "New France" or something like that, but they aren't slipping anything by me. So I took a quick trip there this weekend for some in-depth research.

The first thing I noticed upon entering Canada was the lack of snow. Obviously, Busch Gardens can't afford to keep the entire area covered in snow, but I expected at least a token effort to be realistic. Still, I was determined to learn something. Next, I encounted this:

There was no plaque, but I believe this was supposed to be an accurate artist's rendition of Quebec. Of course, the snow was obviously left out of the painting in order to show more detail, otherwise all Canadian pictures would just look like this. The high, sturdy walls and the cannons are obviously there to ward off prowling polar bears, since I hear those are a common problem in Canada.(Much like pigeons in New York) The other shocking thing in this picture is that the structure is actually NOT made of ice, as I had come to expect. This was a startling notion, since I thought igloos were still the most common housing in Canada. That puzzled me until I realized that this structure was probably only actually used during the bear attacks. After they were fended off, the people could return to their igloos. Those wiley Canadians have a good system going.

Impressed by the knowledge I'd already gained, I pressed further into Canada. I next came upon this little gem:

A chance for me to experience some real Canadian cooking! Since I'd been working hard for at least 15 minutes now, I decided that some dinner would be good. I was quite pleased by the selection of food, since Canada isn't usually known for its cuisine. However, the BBQ chicken, ribs, and brisket were spectacular. Kudos, Canada, for your fine BBQ skills. Since there are no trees in Canada, I can't even being to guess what is normally burned for fuel though. Maybe they use whale blubber or something like that. These Canadians much be fairly resourceful. Now that I was full, I decided that was enough research into Canada and headed home. Besides, it was getting dark and cold, making me feel almost like I really was in Canada.

The next day, I decided that maybe I should double-check things online, to see if my new-found knowledge would actually stand up to a real test. With that in mind, I started looking for a good online video that showcased Canada. Then it hit me: The World Showcase at Disney's Epcot has a Canadian section!!! I was just there earlier this year. I couldn't remember much, but I remembered there was some video about Canada that played there. Turning at last to the Internet, I search high and low until I found a copy of it. I only watched the first minute or so, but from what I heard, it sounds like my thoughts on Canada were entirely accurate.

Epcot's Canadian film

So there you have it, a little bit of Canadian lore for those in the states that want to know more about our northern brethren in DDO. Perhaps some actual Canadians will even add more insights into this thread. Come on, don't be shy out there!
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Ham is not bacon. Stop calling regular ham...bacon. Bacon is something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

I dont want to learn about Canada I just want to........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYSYi...eature=related

Beware the Sleepeater

The first rule of Canada is you DONT TALK ABOUT CANADA (to americans).
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    That is because we laugh at you then feed you to our polarbears at the zoo

Last edited by FluffyCalico; 10-13-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCalico View Post
    Yeah well if we stop feeding the polar bears...Canadians will become polar bear food.
    Of course, since there are only about what, 15-20 people actually living in Canada, the polar bears would quickly starve to death
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Another thing many ppl dont know bout Canada......

Happy Turkey Day by the way!!!!
    Ready your Breakfast... and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in Hell!!!
    Present member of Thaco
    PD RULEZ's http://valhallans.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rab View Post
    Another thing many ppl dont know bout Canada......
    I've grouped with them. Trust me, I know. I know it gets lonely up there, snowed in for months at a time, but the rest of us really don't need to see what happens

Default All I need to know about Canada

(Happy Thanksgiving, ya crazy Canucks)
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Default DDO + Canadians =

Thelanis
    Missadventur Soth - Lvl 18 Ranger,Binge Soth - Lvl 18 Cleric,Freebird Soth - Lvl 18 Bard,Sumthing Soth - Lvl 17 Fighter...and others
    ......Fish and Froobs smell after three days........

You mean the 51st state?

Wink

Top 10 things all those who play DDO with a Canadian in your group should know:

1) When a Canadian makes a statement that ends with the word "eh" at the end - we are usually asking a question and need an answer.
    example. Pulling that level will spring a trap eh? = Shoudl I pull the lever and spring the trap?

2) If a Canadian goes afk - it's always for beer - so raise your glass in turn and toast said Canadian when they return - don't worry they will leave again in a minute to get another one , we drink a lot up here!

3) You would drink a lot too if almost 80% of your population lived next to New York, Michigan, Wyoming and Montana!

4) Canadians have to limit their early morning game play from October - June for snow removal - shovelling takes a long long long time

5) Lag is less in Canada - just live with our better connections - comes from the almost monopoly for internet service up here

6) Canadians get to go to Cuba - so if we aren't online we might be down there have a truly stellar vacation - all by ourselves!

7) Canadians are more patriotic than you think - we are just used to hiding it

8) Every Canadian at one point or another wanted to get a Maple Leaf tattooed onto their chest at one point in their lives - and we are ****ed that option is not available in character development for DDO.

9) Canadians tend to get lost a bit in this game - signage in Caanda is very explicit because of all the snow - when you can't see the damn road most of the year the signs better rock so we kind of depend on signage a lot and, well, there just aren't that many signs out in the desert or the vale!

10) Don't bother tryring to have the "american beer doesn't suck" argument with a Canadian - just realize you are wrong and that our beer is better - which is why during Prohibition for the US you all came north to get it!
    Proud Officer of Attacks the Darkness
    Glorious * Glorie * Gloried * Glorisai * Gloreia * Hallows * Thayill * Sargavand * Murella * Maudalin
    If you can't say anything nice about someone, come sit by me

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious View Post

3) You would drink a lot too if almost 80% of your population lived next to New York, Michigan, Wyoming and Montana!
    Wyoming?

I had no idea you had invaded.
    Proud member of DWAT - Xorian forged, quenched in the blood of butterflies
    Arnn, Duana, Gultyrr, Mahd Bardigan, Ahliriana, Arnnette, Conch Fritter, Jwuana, Thayla, Margaritte da Ville
    God is good, beer is great and women are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    I thought the first rule of Canada was that if you talk to Americans about Canada make sure you get it on video? lawlz.
    Gornn 3:16 says: Gornn just hugged yo' @$$!
    Ask Gornn! http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=156209
    Ask Gornn! archives http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Categ..._Gornn_Archive
    "It's only elitist if you're not actually better than everyone else."

Quote Originally Posted by Arlith View Post
    Wyoming?

I had no idea you had invaded.
    We are THAT good, we invade without you even knowing it, try to beat that.

1) Wyoming and Montana - pretty much the same aren't they - I think the Onion in their World Atlas lumps them together - sorry I took my geography from that great American Publication

and

2) video as requested....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seYUbVa7L7w
    Proud Officer of Attacks the Darkness
    Glorious * Glorie * Gloried * Glorisai * Gloreia * Hallows * Thayill * Sargavand * Murella * Maudalin
    If you can't say anything nice about someone, come sit by me

WikiGnome

7) Canadians are more patriotic than you think - we are just used to hiding it
    Though, they tend to be more patriotic about their province than their country.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    Though, they tend to be more patriotic about their province than their country.

I think this depends on where you live.
    Gornn 3:16 says: Gornn just hugged yo' @$$!
    Ask Gornn! http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=156209
    Ask Gornn! archives http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Categ..._Gornn_Archive
    "It's only elitist if you're not actually better than everyone else."

WikiGnome

OMG!!! Jean Poutine!!!! XD Awesome.

The French edition of Just For Laugh have videos on their YouTube channel testing the knowledge of Québeckers. The answers are disheartening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gornn View Post
    I think this depends on where you live.
    Pretty much all Canadians that I know think their province is the best and that all other provinces should take example on them.

Some provinces are worse than others, obviously.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Living Proof Man can live on Coffee and Quit smoking Cigarettes

1) When a Canadian makes a statement that ends with the word "eh" at the end - we are usually asking a question and need an answer. Whew, and here I thought you'd give away our national secret that we sometimes use "huh" to confuse our southern neighbours to one day assimilate them into the collective
    example. Pulling that level will spring a trap eh? = Shoudl I pull the lever and spring the trap?

2) If a Canadian goes afk - it's always for beer - so raise your glass in turn and toast said Canadian when they return - don't worry they will leave again in a minute to get another one , we drink a lot up here! Don't paint us all as centralist beer swilling Canadians.......there are us Western Rye Swillers, "Bring Cash" Wine Swillers, and I won't get into what the our siblings in la belle provance drink

3) You would drink a lot too if almost 80% of your population lived next to New York, Michigan, Wyoming (Washington?) and Montana! Not to mention that it seems all the trees in Southern Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, & BC are tilted to the south....perhaps it's cause the above mentioned states suck?, (P.S. Umm to further assimilation, I have studdied US Geography, and last time I checked, Wyoming was not on the Canadian Border.....then again maybe Assimilation has occured in Montana, the 11th Provence!

4) Canadians have to limit their early morning game play from October - June for snow removal - shovelling takes a long long long time Yes! for example, one time the snow got so bad in Toronto Ontario, they had to call in the army!

5) Lag is less in Canada - just live with our better connections - comes from the almost monopoly for internet service up here Shush you, next you'll hear the US Gov't complaining about "Grey Internet Users" who get their ISP connections from Canadian Suppliers

6) Canadians get to go to Cuba - so if we aren't online we might be down there have a truly stellar vacation - all by ourselves! BTW where are those great Cuban Cigars ya promised me from your last trip?

7) Canadians are more patriotic than you think - we are just used to hiding it True that, we sometimes get confused as others think were insulting each other's part of the country

8) Every Canadian at one point or another wanted to get a Maple Leaf tattooed onto their chest at one point in their lives - and we are ****ed that option is not available in character development for DDO. Amen......by the way.....Screen Shot or it never happened

9) Canadians tend to get lost a bit in this game - signage in Caanda is very explicit because of all the snow - when you can't see the damn road most of the year the signs better rock so we kind of depend on signage a lot and, well, there just aren't that many signs out in the desert or the vale!Perhaps we need signs in the game like this one from one of our hidden cities http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilharvey/343068501/

10) Don't bother tryring to have the "american beer doesn't suck" argument with a Canadian - just realize you are wrong and that our beer is better - which is why during Prohibition for the US you all came north to get it! Don't forget the better statement, Back in 1812 we Canadians invaded our southern neighbours, burnt down their "Pink House" (Still think that name is better than their replacement "the White House") and only left cause we ran out of GOOD BEER!
    Comments in sienna (if I used red, would see to Canadian)
    Last edited by cappuccino; 10-13-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Oops forgot one
    Unguilded on Thelanis Pempernel, Melyanna, Greyiira, Valienor, Pempernal, Pempernil, Pempersensai, Pempnoir, Paw, Zilvira, Celebrimbor
    Proud Member of the Silver Legion - Cannith Aflac, Mabar, Pistachios, Pempernel, Melyanna, Kazoo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast