Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Solo Class

Default Best Solo Class

If one were inclined to go completely solo, and maybe only occasionally use hirelings, what would be the best build?

I am thinking some sort of Cleric Hybrid, but I am looking at a Drow Tempest/Rogue type build also.

Any advice?

Depends on what you mean by best.

If you mean easiest to solo....probably a sorc long term at least (my opinion).

Best though would probably include at least some rogue levels so you can enjoy more of the content. Solo you will miss out on alot without any rogue skills.

You could go rogue/sorc I guess 2 rogue and 18 sorc...but most will go rogue/wizard since they go better together.

But the rogue monster build will probably work quite well solo...and still let you see as much content as possible solo.

The monster build is somethign along the lines of 2 rogue levels, 6 ranger levels (for tempest) and 12 fighter levels (for kensie 1 and 2, greater weapon spec etc).

Whatever you do, you want at least evasion and good saves solo for sure. Some form of self healing is useful (false life for a sorc can get most of the job done though) and stealth never hurts.

The monster has 6 ranger levels which allows you to wand heal just fine, has excellent AC, good ranged damage (not great but decent), rogue skills plenty high enough for all normal difficulty dungeons (and all hard as well probably), good self resists and excellent DPS.

A sorc is much harder to start off as a new character then a monster type character.

If you decide you want to go with 2 handed combat instead of two weapon....you can ditch the ranger levels and go with just rogue/fighter...then use a quarterstaff (you get a 10% attack speed bonus that way...but less over all damage). You can still wand heal due to UMD....but you will miss out on self casting bark skin and rams might.

On the other hand you have a free level you could take as somethign else (say monk) since you only need 7 rogue levels really. All you get for lvl 8 rogue is improved uncanny dodge. If you take a monk level though you lose 1 more BAB (not the end of the world though..especially now). You might even want to go with 6 rogue/2monk/12 fighter. It's not as much damage...but is alot of fun in my opinion (I'm sorry quarterstaves are my favorite DDO weapon).

Since you'll be using a quarterstaff you can actually stay in a monk stance...and even use monk attacks Having 2 monk levels gives you 2 more bonus feats....monk ac bonus from wisdom and centered bonus as well. It also gives you way of the monkey etc.

So I'd say either go with a classic monster build....or be a bit more unique and go with a 12 fighter/6 rogue/2 monk build

12 fighter levels give you full fighter haste boost already and greater weapon specialization along with kensie 1 and 2. The advantage of the quarterstaff is you can get weighted quarterstaves and boost your DC significantly from Kensie and fighter enhancements. Stunned enemies take full sneak attack damage even when solo.

It doesn't compare in pure DPS to a dual wielding Khopesh Monster build very well...but it gets the job done...and vs large groups of enemies you might even do more damage due to glancing blows.

Also....did i mention quarterstaves just plain look awesome?

Community Member mediocresurgeon's Avatar

I'd recommend a Warforged sorcerer as the #1 best soloing "build" you can have in DDO. They don't require 32-point builds, equipment, or lots of practice to play well. The lower levels (1-8) can be tough, but once you get Wall of Fire you can faceroll and still complete objectives.

Next after that would be a Halfling Monk2/Cleric18. This would let you keep your AC and saves high and self-heal, but at a slight cost to your offensive spells (this build would not melee except at very low levels). Gear for this sort of build is in higher demand so it might be tougher to get, and fitting both AC and caster gear onto your limited item slots might be tough at endgame as well.

Both should work just fine, though.

The nerfing will continue until morale improves!

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=164323

Solo'd the first 6 levels with this toon before grouping at all.

At end game have been able to solo DQ, Reaver, Devil Invasion and several other quests on elite. Love her.

V

I don't know if anyone made the build I was talking about yet, so I'll post what I would suggest. It's a 32 point build because even if you don't have one now...you will soon probably (it is going to be sold in the store).

Human fighter 12/rogue 6/monk 2

Str 16 (10)
    Dex 14 (06)
    Con 14 (06)
    Wis 14 (06)
    Int 12 (04)
    Cha 08 (00)

All level up stats into strength.

Run in wind stance for the 10% attack speed boost that stacks with the 10% attack speed boost from acrobat bonus while wielding a staff. Wind stance boosts dex by 2 and drops con by 2.

Human versatility bonus to strength and con (for higher toughness feats).

End stats:

Str 16 + 5 (levels) + 3 (fighter enhancement) + 3 (tome) +1 HV + 6 (item) = 34
    Dex 14 + 2 (rogue enhancement) + 2 (tome) + 6 (item) = 24
    Con 14 + 1 (human versatility) + 3 tome + 6 item = 24
    Wis 14 + 1 (monk enhancement) + 1 tome (at lvl 1) + 6 item = 22
    Int 12 (+2 tome if you really want at lvl 7....not needed though)
    Cha 08 (+6 item and +2 tome for UMD later probably)

Lvl 1 rogue for skill points
    lvl 2-3 monk (for bonus feats, evasion, monk stance, wisdom bonus, centered bonus etc)

After that you want to space your rogue levels out so you can keep your skills maxed. Fighter levels will only give you 4 skill points to spend, so don't rush to get rogue 6 asap. Take 2 fighter levels for every rogue level and it should end up just about perfect. You get 4 skill points per fighter level and 10 per rogue...so every 3 levels is 18 points or 6 on average per level. You need 3 for Disarm traps, 3 for search, 3 for UMD, all of which can be taken on a 1 to 1 ratio. You need 3 for jump also 1 to 1 since it's a fighter skill as well. That leaves you 6 points left over but only 1 of them can be on a 1 to 1 ratio (total of 10 rogue skill points per 3 levels). I suggest keeping spot maxed as well which needs 5 total points (2 to 1 ratio for 2 of them pluss the 1). That leaves you 1 skill point left over to toss into open locks (should be able to keep it at half max level that way..whcih will be enough with +skill items).

Staves now do full glancing blow damage so snag your THF feats as you go, also grab stunning blow as soon as possible and try to get a nice weighted staff. The combo will be quite nice with your sneak attack damage (remember to grab the bonus sneak attack enhancements etc).

Another advantage of this build is it will probably be better in many ways till about lvl 12 minimum due to THF usually doing better then TWF until you get greater two weapon combat.

Power attack adds the same amount to staves as any other two handed weapon and so does your strength bonus so the 1d6 less base damage of the staff is easily mitigated long term by the 20% attack speed bonus from acrobat and monk stance.

In addition you need to spend way less feats for a THF build (you don't even need GTHF at all really..it's mostly a waste right now in my opinion).

Cleave and Great cleave on the other hand are pretty decent when used with a 2handed weapon even a staff especially in combo (one right after the other). You might consider getting them both. Stunning blow for individual enemies and cleave/greate cleave for groups.

Anyway I think it would be a great character to solo with.

I like the AA Drow build with a splash of thief; excellent ranged and THF, great saves and resistances, you get a few spells here and there (elemental resistance and protection, barkskin, various levels of heal) you can use wands for healing and curing poison and disease, and with the bit of thief thrown in you can find and disable traps. After 6th level you start to generate your own returning arrows so no need to worry about ammo, and you get to imbue them with 1d6 force and ghost touch. It's a pretty strong build!

Vast & Mysterious since '06!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rev09 View Post
    I like the AA Drow build with a splash of thief; excellent ranged and THF, great saves and resistances, you get a few spells here and there (elemental resistance and protection, barkskin, various levels of heal) you can use wands for healing and curing poison and disease, and with the bit of thief thrown in you can find and disable traps. After 6th level you start to generate your own returning arrows so no need to worry about ammo, and you get to imbue them with 1d6 force and ghost touch. It's a pretty strong build!
    There are only really two things needed to solo well at high levels:

1. Strong self healing
    2. Long duration AOE damage

So two obvious easymode classes would be a cleric (Heal + Blade Barrier) and a Warforged Sorc (Reconstruct + Firewall). My 16 cleric is poorly geared (he still has two empty slots, lol) and can solo effortlessly. With a bladebarrier that does 220-250 per pass and 300hp heals, anyone can solo this character. I haven't played a WF Sorc but I would assume it's similarly easy.

Obviously, there needs to be a bit of discretion when picking quests to solo. Mobs immune to fire aren't going to be as easy for a sorc to solo as undead mobs, but if you pick the right quests, it should be a breeze.

Adding even a small amount of melee capability to these builds would save spell points on easy trash mobs.

Healing + AOE = easy peasy lemon squeezy

Sure, you can make multiclass melee build with UMD for healing and it will work but it won't be as simple or as fast as Heal+AOE.

Basic, universal rogue build advice
    "Not in the face! Not in the faaaaaace!"

I have to agree with those who say WF sorc even though I want to say ranger.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

Wow, first I want to thank everyone for the well thought out responses. I have to say that this is hands down the most helpful forum I have been on for an MMO, and I have tried them all. Seems as if most of the insulting 12 year olds are at a minimum here! Thank God.

Anyway, I am running a straight war type cleric right now, and I have to say he is pretty tough, although I would love some rogue levels for traps, locks, ect. Not too familiar with the new rules, but how do the penalties work?

In P&P it was restricted by the last class you took, so if you started as a fighter then switched to a wizard, no more plate or heavy weapons if you wanted to use your wizard stuff. Is that how it works here? Could I throw a few rogue levels on early, then go back to cleric without much trouble?

Say 5 Cleric, 2-3 rogue, then finish off straight cleric to 20? Will it work that way?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Warforged Sorc or Favored Soul

Community Member

I had a pretty easy time with my Bard... got him up to 7 mostly solo before getting Drow and switching to my Rogue. You have heal spells, UMD as a class skill, great buffs, and excellent CC in the form of songs and charm spells.

But like I said... only hit 7. Soloing might have gotten harder later than that, but it was pretty easy so far! :P

High Wisdom/Modest STR Cleric ofr FvS are by far the best overall offensive soloers in the game.

The big issue with a WF ARcane soloeris that you really dont have a reliable AOE damage spell once you get tothe Evil Outsider content. Simply too many Fire immune mobs to rely on Wal of Fire.

Blade Barrier does untyped damage. It hits EVERYTHING.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    High Wisdom/Modest STR Cleric ofr FvS are by far the best overall offensive soloers in the game.

The big issue with a WF ARcane soloeris that you really dont have a reliable AOE damage spell once you get tothe Evil Outsider content. Simply too many Fire immune mobs to rely on Wal of Fire.

Blade Barrier does untyped damage. It hits EVERYTHING.
    Spell pen + FOD, Wail, Banish, F2S, PK, there are still options; it really is only the bosses that CAN be tough, but ice still does good damage & so does lightning....
    - my reputation says nuetral, my character sheet says Chaotic Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kominalito View Post
    if grief for you is a few minutes of a pumpkinheaded player in a videogame, you must live in a palace of naked women made of chocolate and money.

Quote Originally Posted by JakLee7 View Post
    Spell pen + FOD, Wail, Banish, F2S, PK, there are still options; it really is only the bosses that CAN be tough, but ice still does good damage & so does lightning....
    ANd cleric/FvS get SpellPenn + Slay, Destruct,Implosion, Command, and dont forget Cometfall and searing light.

Plus generally better Melee Skills.

ANd usually more Hit Points.

I'm not saying you cant Solo with a Caster, Of course you can. You can do quite well if you limit your expectations come end game boss's.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

my 17 warforged sorc has 316 hit points / 2150 spell points / and repairs himself for 150 hit points in one cast. 100% Heavy fortification is a must with stoneskin. Though soloing does eat up the mana pots in some quests.

I have run with the lvl 16 warforged Barbarian as a side kick / since I can repair him in battle with a spell.

My other guildie has soloed alot of the new content with his lvl 20 human cleric on Normal difficulty with his Blade Barrier spell.

ANd cleric/FvS get SpellPenn + Slay, Destruct,Implosion, Command, and dont forget Cometfall and searing light.

Plus generally better Melee Skills.

ANd usually more Hit Points.

I'm not saying you cant Solo with a Caster, Of course you can. You can do quite well if you limit your expectations come end game boss's.
    Disagree about the more HP/SP with a FvS, but yeah I know you CAN use a cleric, and in many cases the Clr/FvS is MUCH more effective, just mentioning that a sorc really can tear up stuff too, save those pesky end-bosses. I personally made a power-casting FvS who can melee a touch and is reallying coming into her own now.... that has to be one of the best builds I have ever made and it really, really shines now in the middle-upper level of content..... good times, good times....

On a side note, duo is a SIGNIFICANTLY more fun time, you get to bring a buddy and really get to tear apart some quests. Sometimes just having a 2nd body in the quest can really make a tough spot into a cakewalk. I would reccomend (if possible) you run a caster (FvS or Sorc) with a Riott build intimitank (which is just unreal as a partner) either human or warforged (depending on FvS or Sorc for healing ability). This type of duo CAN do anything in the game, sometimes so easy you wonder why it hasn't been nerf'd!
    if grief for you is a few minutes of a pumpkinheaded player in a videogame, you must live in a palace of naked women made of chocolate and money.

Quote Originally Posted by JakLee7 View Post
    Disagree about the more HP/SP with a FvS,
    Clerics and FvS's get a D8 per Level, Wizards and a Sorcs get a D4.
    FvS Also get a Full Toughness Enhancement Line.

All things being equal, a FvS is gong to have more hit points. I didnt say anything about spell points.. Sorcs are not going to be that far ahead of FvS's though. Only difference will be CHR Modifier bonus.
    but yeah I know you CAN use a cleric, and in many cases the Clr/FvS is MUCH more effective, just mentioning that a sorc really can tear up stuff too, save those pesky end-bosses. I personally made a power-casting FvS who can melee a touch and is reallying coming into her own now.... that has to be one of the best builds I have ever made and it really, really shines now in the middle-upper level of content..... good times, good times....
    Yeah, If it wasn.t for all those pesky end Boss's...

On a side note, duo is a SIGNIFICANTLY more fun time, you get to bring a buddy and really get to tear apart some quests. Sometimes just having a 2nd body in the quest can really make a tough spot into a cakewalk. I would reccomend (if possible) you run a caster (FvS or Sorc) with a Riott build intimitank (which is just unreal as a partner) either human or warforged (depending on FvS or Sorc for healing ability). This type of duo CAN do anything in the game, sometimes so easy you wonder why it hasn't been nerf'd!
    Thelanis

Sev~

This is a tough question to answer, because there are so many variables, and so many of them depend on the player. Do you like rushing through a dungeon, focusing on objectives and ignoring optionals? You might do well with a barbarian (with pocket cleric) or sorceror (WF or high UMD or both). Do you like getting all optionals, and exploring every nook and cranny of a dungeon? You won't be happy without at least a splash of rogue; Wiz/Rog or Rgr/Rog might suit you best. Do you prefer to have great AC and saving throws, even at the cost of some DPS? You might do well with a paladin or monk. Do you like buffing yourself, meleeing at low level and casting spells at high level, then helaing up? A cleric might be the best choice.

Some things to consider: You will not be able to complete every dungeon solo. Several you can complete solo with hirelings and a variety of tricks, but it will take some doing to figure out how. You will not be able to achieve every optional objective solo; there will be INT runes, STR levers, WIS & CHA runes, locked doors, even a few areas that require some obscure skill at a high level. That's just the way it goes when you decide to solo a group game

That said, have fun - soloing in this game can be quite challenging, and there's a lot you can do solo in this game that would simply be out of reach for soloers in some other MMOs - with patience, parctice, and a lot of gear, you'll probably even be able to solo several of the raids eventually

Community Member

Default Pure monk solos well

No mention yet of pure monk. Probably not the most uber soloist build, but with the new dungeon scaling, quite capable of soloing the majority of current game content. Actually quite simple to play since mana isn't an issue and you don't have to really juggle too many different skills and weapon sets, although you can if you are so inclined.

You just need some basic pots like lesser restore, barkskin, and cure wounds and you are all set.

Caster types used to soloing might find the monk a little "slow", since you lack AoE to take out multiple mobs at once.

Biggest roadblock is the "regenerating" or "healing" boss - if your dps doesn't outpace the healing then you can't complete. This is not a problem for most quests however.

Better equipment is helpful, but decent equipment comes relatively quickly, since the quest end rewards are packed with monk-specific items.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

Clerics and FvS's get a D8 per Level, Wizards and a Sorcs get a D4.
    FvS Also get a Full Toughness Enhancement Line.

All things being equal, a FvS is gong to have more hit points. I didnt say anything about spell points.. Sorcs are not going to be that far ahead of FvS's though. Only difference will be CHR Modifier bonus.
    See that is the problem, in order for a FvS to be equal, he will have less Con by default, otherwise he will have much less mana (FvS needs multiple Attributes to be high to be both dps'ing, Spell Pen'ing, and viable....) so all things would NOT be equal right from the start.... of course if you consider that a Warforged Sorc gets less CHA right out the gate, that SORT OF evens things up some, but that is just semantics..... a FvS CAN have more HP, but doesn't mean they will or even should. Depends on the build

Yeah, If it wasn.t for all those pesky end Boss's...
    Yeah well, it still can be done at the higher levels, its just going to take a bit more work (and I will take extra work on the boss vs extra work GETTING to the boss, LOL)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast