Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Default suggestion:Selective reincarnation

This idea is stolen from within one of the other long reincarnation threads (sorry to the originator, I can't find it again to quote you) but I wanted to highlight it in its own thread for discussion.

We need a more selective reincarnation option, something between Greater and True.

One of the most common things I hear as a reason to want to reroll/repec is "I should have never taken that level in XXXX". This is particularily true of new players who dry to do something that sounds kool without understanding (honestly, that 1 level of wiz for shield won't do your fighter much good at L20) or by trying to duplicate PnP builds that don't work under the DDO ruleset as well. And then there is that guildy who in a drunken mistake added a level of Wiz to his L15 Sorc.

So my suggetion is selective reincarnation. It would work exactly like greater except that as you relevel you have the option to skip any level as you go. You can't add classe/levels or change the order classes are taken, just skip as you go.

So the 15 cleric/1ftr could decide during relevelling to skip the 1ftr and only be a 15 cleric. The 16 pure rogue who decided he would really love 6ranger for tempest could relevel to 14 rogue and then go out there and start earning his XP for tempest levels. It lets you clean up things and add a fun factor back to less than ideal chars without forcing a complete reroll.

I can't see how this would create any balance issues and it fills a noticable gap between the existing reincarnation versions.

By the way, reincarnation is a druid spell... Does that mean one of the devs is secretly a druid and druids snuck into the game when we weren't looking?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    So my suggetion is selective reincarnation. It would work exactly like greater except that as you relevel you have the option to skip any level as you go. You can't add classe/levels or change the order classes are taken, just skip as you go.

So the 15 cleric/1ftr could decide during relevelling to skip the 1ftr and only be a 15 cleric.
    This sounds perfect to me; not unbalancing, means I dust off a cleric, play longer and have the opportunity to experiment a little.

This is what GR should be; TR should become the device by which you gain power (not that I in any way approve of using respec to actually gain power).

The only potential difficulty that I see is in letting you change your first lvl if you say took first lvl rogue on a rogue splash for the extra skill points. I wonder if the current implementation is flexible enough to let you take your first lvl in any of the classes you have in your build.

Quote Originally Posted by lanthan View Post
    The only potential difficulty that I see is in letting you change your first lvl if you say took first lvl rogue on a rogue splash for the extra skill points. I wonder if the current implementation is flexible enough to let you take your first lvl in any of the classes you have in your build.
    given that you redo skills and feats as you go, it should be fine with any elimination

The skills are not the problem just a reason someone with a rogue splash may have their first lvl as rogue.

Its changing the initial class that could be a problem. Letting you skip a level should be a fairly trivial change to code. Changing the initial class you picked would probably take a bit more work and require more testing to make sure no new bugs came up.

Quote Originally Posted by lanthan View Post
    The skills are not the problem just a reason someone with a rogue splash may have their first lvl as rogue.

Its changing the initial class that could be a problem. Letting you skip a level should be a fairly trivial change to code. Changing the initial class you picked would probably take a bit more work and require more testing to make sure no new bugs came up.
    Obviously testing is required, but I don't see why it would be that complicated. The only thing unique in first level is the 4xskill points, and that's simple math.

I posted a thread http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=207091 with a similar idea, that has a worked-out implementation ready to code.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

What makes the first lvl special is you use a different ui for making those decisions. After lvl 1 you can skip unwanted lvls 1 at a time.

But if you want to pick a class that you didn't first take a lvl of till x lvls in you have to skip x lvls all at once to change your starting class.

Beyond getting it to work right you also need safety measures in-case someone who took 2 lvls of something else as their last two lvls tried to move that to their first class not understanding that it will make them a lvl 2 rather than a lvl 20 as a result.

Letting you drop any lvl but your first would probably be as simple as adding one line of code. The additional testing for changing the first lvl might not slow them down much more either since they are already going to need to test changes to the system with the bug we have encountered so far.

I like the idea and it would be probably be only a short delay in the update to get it working. I was pointing out the potential difficulty because with the last version of the lamannia they seemed willing to make small tweaks but not major changes.

It seems to me that dropping a lvl would be just a tweak but changing your starting class would be somewhere in between the two.

Default /signed

I agree I love my fighter just the way he is but i want capstone

True reincarnate is the only way i can remove one level of ranger i took back when cap was 10 when i was thinking i wanted two ranger for two weapon fighting and bow use

now that I dont use bows at all and already have dual weilding i dont need the one ranger and want the capstone but nothing i can do for 3 years of waiting for respec other then a slow durg back to 20 ... with the lose of 3 years worth of favor tomes and slower level progression cause of "Reincarnation Debt" to exp

let me remove the one level and i wont care that i am still a 28 point build.
    SITH HAPPENS
    [])])])])])])[]]██████████████████████████
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus1 View Post
    drfirewater... thanks for being the voice of reason!

Maybe just have it take you to the character creation screen but certain selections such as race, alignment, and name are pre-populated and cannot be changed.

Pick you class, spend your points, then teleport to a place with all trainers so you can pick whatever classes you can use on your account until you reach the level you started from.

Time Bandit
    DDO Players Council

The more that I see of people's suggestions, the more I think that a relatively simple solution could be used for people's intermediate respec needs when they may not wish to do the whole TR thing ...

Greater Reincarnation should, in addition to providing 32-points for each toon, let players select the number of levels that their GR toon will have, being any number between 1/2/4 and their current level (I say 1/2/4 because each of these numbers could be a potential minimum, not as proposing a multiple choice option).

Having chosen this number, the new toon incarnation will be created with the minimum XP amount for that level -- accrued favour/quests completed could possibly represent a game design/balance question, because a 20th level toon reduced to 10th level (for example) would face some unduly tough quest completion XP penalties if the previous counters were maintained -- so I think the toon should LOSE any favour/completions/flags gained from all quests that are *above* the toon's new level (or possibly level+1 so as not to grief people using this option to correct any "I visited the wrong trainer" problems), but retain those that are at that level or below -- with the exception that ALL Korthos Island completions and favour should ALWAYS be persistent.

Of course ^^ there may be some software/database issues that could just make this or any other similar suggestions not cost-effective

Quote Originally Posted by Natashaelle View Post
    The more that I see of people's suggestions, the more I think that a relatively simple solution could be used for people's intermediate respec needs when they may not wish to do the whole TR thing ...

Greater Reincarnation should, in addition to providing 32-points for each toon, let players select the number of levels that their GR toon will have, being any number between 1/2/4 and their current level (I say 1/2/4 because each of these numbers could be a potential minimum, not as proposing a multiple choice option).

Having chosen this number, the new toon incarnation will be created with the minimum XP amount for that level -- accrued favour/quests completed could possibly represent a game design/balance question, because a 20th level toon reduced to 10th level (for example) would face some unduly tough quest completion XP penalties if the previous counters were maintained -- so I think the toon should LOSE any favour/completions/flags gained from all quests that are *above* the toon's new level (or possibly level+1 so as not to grief people using this option to correct any "I visited the wrong trainer" problems), but retain those that are at that level or below -- with the exception that ALL Korthos Island completions and favour should ALWAYS be persistent.

Of course ^^ there may be some software/database issues that could just make this or any other similar suggestions not cost-effective
    That feels a little harsh to make someone who splashed one lvl at lvl ten have to go back to lvl 9 to get rid of a single unwanted lvl.

Default /signed

I came across this post and also thought: "hmmm, this should have it's own thread"
    Thanks for taking the initiative Lorien, and thanks to Samadhi for suggesting it in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samadhi View Post
    I am suddenly much more gungho on the "develing" program.

For example, functions like a greater reincarnation. Except, if I want to "skip" that wizard splash I took at level three, I can - and instead of being a lvl 17 Ranger/1 Wizard, at the end I'll just be a level 17 ranger. The more levels I want to skip - the more I have to relevel - and a built in learning curve since favor/completions won't reset. (and an alignment change please?)
    Anyway, I would love to see this option.

It would also be really nice to have a way to "skip" your 1st level class choice (for those of us who want to do such things without having to TR). A simple dialogue window with the orc that lets you choose your class progression, and what levels to "skip" before kicking you back to the boat.

Allowing GR to change alignment would be nice, but would have to sync with the level progression dialogue window.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind being limited to a single "skip" per GR. I would need to buy more Greater Hearts, but with enough respecs this would be analogous to the TR without the crazy xp grind, extra build points, size change, and past life feats. All of which I would be happy to do without.

-Whargoul
    Sarlona: Bottles, Brewin, Bladebarian, Madlute, et al