Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default VIP Feedback: The Shipwrecked Spy

Tell us about your experiences in the Shipwrecked Spy quest!
    Last edited by Tolero; 10-12-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Default ?

Has anyone even found this quest ? Or is it listed under a different name ?
    -BigPun

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigpun View Post
    Has anyone even found this quest ? Or is it listed under a different name ?
    I think this is supposed to be the Shipwrecked Spy feedback thread, so I'm going to act as if it were named that. This quest combines the boring of a protect quest with the tedium of a "kill all monsters" objective. The monsters are neither interesting nor particularly challenging. The docks area is quite annoying because line of sight is blocked by any break in the floor between you and your target. The best thing to come out of this quest was the covered spike pit trap, and even that was ruined by putting an optional objective in the pit for me to tab target as I ran up to it. It really feels like this was designed as a much lower level quest that was then made higher level.

I enjoyed this quest. It's much more difficult in small group to keep everyone alive than in larger groups. Overall, a pretty basic mechanic in regards to objectives, but plenty of fun.

It would be cool to see the cannons do more. I never actually saw them do any damage to mobs or anything.

Otherwise, plenty of fun here and a decent quest.
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Tertiary fighting which appears in sporadic points in the game (ruined halls is one of the oldest) is great fun to watch and experience.

Which side do you help if at all? Do they both gang up on you? etc.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Soloed this tonight, crew died, but fought off all the invaders, captain stayed alive and found the spy and the treasure. Not all that difficult really for a 17 cleric

Saal
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Community Member

1. Like some other fort-defense quests (Stand Your Ground, Baudry), this mission has enough action for 1-2 players, but more than that gets a lot of players standing around. (However, the pacing is much better than Weapons Shipment, which still needs serious fixing)

2. Once the ship defense is over, the rest of the mission is just a formality, and the most "challenging" part is the possibility you'll skip a Dar Quat soldier in the bushes so the gates aren't open. Might want to add a named Dar Quat guy lurking in the woods.

3. Stealth-build characters will be unhappy at these gates and the obligatory killing.

4. The bonus treasure would be nicer if it had the chance for a disc fragment.

5. The are "Drow Monks" here, but they wield daggers. Either they could be switched to the monk model from Monestary of the Scorption, or a Ki-centered dagger could be added as named loot. (Actually a Shortsword, so Drow player monks can possibly use racial enhancements on it)

6. Might be good to have another objective to let no more than one sailor die. Once you lose one, there's no incentive to protect anyone but the captain.
    Last edited by Angelus_dead; 10-21-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Community Member

Thought that there were to few mobs while protecting the ship, expected alot more action. Not that it should longer, but perhaps a few more each wave, and much more on the last one. Maybe even a chance for a named to appear during the fight (with another chest of course ), or a bonus chest if all the sailors survive.

As for the optional chests, a chance for a disk wouldnt be bad, just put some high CR raging fire elemental in there!

But it was quick, fun, and rewarding, just needed a wee (i said just wee!!! ) bit more challenge, and I think at the beginning would be the best part for it in this quest, IMO.

Angry Invisible walls preventing range shots!

Ran this with my ranger (favor run with no xp) and there are terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE invisible walls! Yea walls preventing range shots in the most ridiculous places. From just a few feet away in a lot of places, with wide open spaces (graphically) the arrows stick into invisible walls. Its not in just a few places, its all over the ship and dock area. Very frustrating.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

The optional chest is fun. I enjoy this quest as a whole from start to finish.

Tip: It is best to party buffs near the Captain so he gets them also.

I never see anyone using the cannons.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    The optional chest is fun. I enjoy this quest as a whole from start to finish.

Tip: It is best to party buffs near the Captain so he gets them also.

I never see anyone using the cannons.
    Holy thread necros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Tell us about your experiences in the Shipwrecked Spy quest!
    Real question is why are you asking.

Tinfoil hat senses intent to mess up the quest.

Edit: Doh, nvm, someone revived a 4 year old post...
    Last edited by JOTMON; 10-19-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    Real question is why are you asking.

Tinfoil hat senses intent to mess up the quest.
    Does it help that the question was posed 4 years ago, when the quest was introduced? Tolero posted the OP in October of 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Does it help that the question was posed 4 years ago, when the quest was introduced? Tolero posted the OP in October of 2009.
    Who cares, the tinfoil is always right, the quest will be broken soon(tm)