Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Community Member Thailand_Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pattaya, Thailand
    Posts
    927

    Default Must have lowbee gear

    What gear (or weapons) do you consider essential to building a new toon. Many VIP players (including myself) have started a F2P account and have started leveling toons on multiple-servers for TPs. Not having the plat to tweek these new toons, I realized certain items just make these lowbees so much better. I'll start, and please add:

    - Muckbanes (2 of them is better than 1) from Durk's. They just make an ooze so easy to deal with and can be used all the way to end game.

    - Bracers of Assistance from Cannith Crystal. I have a full hot bar filled with them on all my lowbees. Takes up some backpack space, lugging 10 around, but I love the instant 10 - 30% increase in HPs. Can also be cast on an incap player to get them up.

    - FF item. Since STK's ring of feathers drop rate has been reduced so low, I usually run WW until FF boots appear in the end rewards. Thankfully it is bound to account (not bound to character) so you can hand it off to a lowbee once you can get a mummified bat, or higher level FF ring. The FF clock from the Korthos quest is really nice to start out, but gets a bit tiring after a while.

    - Cure Light wounds (CLW) clickie. Having a few curative clocks from Korthos is nice, but these only give 1 hit of CLW. Whats even better is having 1 or 2 vestments of light outfits which has 3 charges/rest of CLW. This drops out of one of the witchdoctor's chest in Smugglers warehouse. A few CLW wands (if you can use them) are a nice addition as well. They are cheap and are life savers.

    Pre-Mod 9, I would include a proof against poison item, but since poison has been nerfed (stat damage regenerates now), it is no longer that big of deal at low level. Having a -1 to STR for 1 minute doesn't seem like that big of deal.
    Last edited by Thailand_Dan; 10-01-2009 at 09:45 AM.

  2. #2
    Community Member Hokiewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hola Bienvenidos
    Posts
    4,487

    Default

    Good list. I would add Furor's hide for casters/squishies, that 3/dr can be a life saver. The drop rate is abysmal though. The maul of vengenance, only for the lack of other addy weps, for running stk. Though I would assume most vets have a few level 2 addy weps at their disposal.
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Spear Bane and Rugged Belt from Korthos are also lovely items for squishies.

  4. #4
    Community Member Zaodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The planet of Tatooine.
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Berzerker Bracers (DR 1/-) are nice at level 1 for any class.
    Belt of Lesser False Life (+5 hp)
    Puzzle Cap (+2 int) for wizards.
    Boots of Striding +5%
    Any clicky of Expeditious Retreat

    and:
    Pre-nerf Irian's Star (+2 Holy Morningstar of Righteousness, lvl 2 requirement)

    Or maybe that's just us old players!

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Just taking a moment to point out that the Rugged Belt and Belt of Lesser False Life are the same, just that you get the former in Korthos for free. ^^

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    207

    Default

    I like the way all the Korthos quests fill a different slot pretty much. It's worth running each quest at least once to get most of your slots filled.

    I think movement items are very useful early on. The feather fall cloak, boots that can cast the Expeditious Retreat movement buff and the water breathing ring you get in the tutorial are very useful items when you are playing with a zerging fast group who keep running ahead.

    It's also handy to be able to jump when you get to, for example the Skeletal Mage, so remember you can take items off. You jump a lot better with your plate mail and tower shield in your backpack.

  7. #7
    Community Member Prism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    52

    Default

    One of the necklaces that you can get as the end reward for completing Misery's Peak is a clickie that recovers 10-35 SP, twice per rest. I always take that with any character that will eventually be casting any types of spells.

  8. #8
    Community Member Brennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,509

    Default

    Miserys Peak Considerations (note that miserys peak can only give you 1 end reward ever. Sacrifices can be re-run several times):

    • Angers Gift + Angers Step (Sacrifices) set for any strength based meleer.
    • Pathfinders Necklace + Pathfinders Boots (Sacrifices) set for any dex based weapon-user.
    • Nimble Brooch + Nimble Hand (Sacrifices) set for any rogue who sneak attacks often.
    • Archivist Necklace for EVERY SINGLE CASTER.
    • Archivist Necklace for *EVERY* caster. Yes, I am repeating myself. I think this is very important. You only ever get one shot at this. The Arcane and Devoted sets have "ooh shiny" bonuses, but you will outgrow them in a level or two at most. You will never outgrow the benefit of Archivist Necklace. The set is not necessary, as the set bonus is negligible, but theres no downside to taking both items of the Archivist set.
    • Do not touch the Arcane Necklace, Devoted Necklace, Protectors Brooch, or Troubleshooters Necklace. The two caster necklaces get outgrown quickly, and are nowhere near as useful as the Archivist Necklace. The Protectors set offers +1 ac and light fortification, which is nice, but light fort can be replaced easily, and +1 ac isn't worth +2 to hit (From Angers or Pathfinders). Troubleshooters set gives great resistence bonuses, but you can easily find generic open locks and disable device +3 items to replace the most useful aspect of this set.


    Other Items of Note from Korthos:

    • Troubleshooters Goggles (Sacrifices) For any rogue. Just the goggles, not the set. +3 spot, +3 search, +3 listen (But no one uses listen) for a quick and fairly easy quest is a nice way to start your rogue career. Repeat Sacrifices for Nimble Hand.
    • Protectors Gloves (Sacrifices). Strictly for the 1/- DR. Only if you don't already have something better for your hand slot. Repeat Sacrifices for Angers Step or Pathfinders Boots.
    • Spear Bane (Cannith Crystal). I find piercing DR to be most useful in lower levels. Sahuagin use spears, and Miserys peak (and a few otehr quests) are loaded with archers, who seemingly do 0 damage even on elite while wearing Spear Block (This might've been a bug o_O?). Kobold Throwers and Kobold Warriors also seem to use piercing weapons, when you get to the Harbor.
    • Bracers of Assistance (Cannith Crystal). Stock up on as many as you like, and have a nearly unlimited +1 to-hit and a *lot* of extra hitpoints. Or spread them out among your group. And of course, always use them on teammates before you shrine, for 3 minutes of awesomeness.
    • Rugged Belt (Storehouse's Secret). 5 more hitpoints is nice for any starting character. And the other belts stink (Especially since you are likely to end up with +resistence item from Miserys Peak anyway)
    • Goggles of Insight (Necromancers Doom). This is a big one! +1 competence bonus to-hit that stack with just about everything (Unless someone knows of another Comptence bonus? I'm certianly not aware of any)
    • Ember Weapons (the Grotto). Yeah, seriously. You're handed a weapon thats just as good (Better against ice mephits and ice spiders) as a +1 weapon from the flippin tutorial. Don't sell this until you have atleast a +2 weapon. Trust me, it happens. A lot.
    • Ring of Water Breathing (the Grotto). Don't sell this either. There are many instances in the Harbor and Marketplace where a minute and a half of water breathing will be the difference between life and death (Especially for low strength characters in fullplate). or atleast the difference between a comfortable swim and a frantic struggle not to drown.
    • Lesser Monsterous Humanoid Bane Weapons (the Collaborator). For any weapon-using player, this is going to do fantastic damage against Sahuagins on Korthos. Keep it on your hotbar, and switch to it when you're about to fight Sahuagin. Switch back to your Ember Weapon to fight anything else. You won't see many Monsterous Humanoids in the Harbor though, so you're free to vendor this one off once you get there.
    • Engraved Ring (Rare Chests, Explorer Area). +1 protection is awesome, but this item is difficult to find. Don't sweat it if you miss this one.


    There are other useful items on Korthos, but these are the ones i consider the biggies. Honorable mention to Angers Step for Expiditious retreat 2/day (For any character who wouldn't otherwise have taken it) from Sacrifices, Curative cloak and Cloak of Feather Falling, from Redemption, and Protecive Gloves (Sheild 1/rest, great for TWF, THF and caster characters) and runic gloves from the chest locked away in Necro's Doom. Happy Hunting, new players!
    Last edited by Brennie; 10-01-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: To add purdy Colors!

  9. #9
    Founder Mistinarperadnacles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    494

    Default

    you can also check out this thread:

    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=204598

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Clickies! They save plat on expendables by replicating potion and spell effects, and sometimes skill effects.
    Detect secret doors, expedious retreat, resist energy, heroism, rage, bull's strength, etc.
    I consider a detect secret doors clickie in particular a must have for any toon from level 1 up.

    The most valuable (imo) lowbie item (for non finesse melees) would be Maelstrom, although these are fairly tough to get, and virtually inaccessable for your first toon.
    If you have access to shared bank, have your first toon run the Sharn Syndicate quests a few times to get some nice, low-min level, bound-2-account items for future lowbies.
    Khyber Server -- New Aundair

  11. #11
    Community Member DANTEIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago / Sarlona
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    There are other useful items on Korthos, but these are the ones i consider the biggies. Happy Hunting, new players!

    Love, love this post! and I really wish that I had read it before finishing off Korthos and heading to the Harbor. Really shows me where I goofed on my loot decisions

  12. #12
    Community Member Brennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DANTEIL View Post
    Love, love this post! and I really wish that I had read it before finishing off Korthos and heading to the Harbor. Really shows me where I goofed on my loot decisions
    If you see something you like, you can always go back to Korthos and repeat the quests for it. Miserys peak is the only exception.

    And don't hold back on the rep, if you really liked it

  13. #13
    Community Member Thailand_Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pattaya, Thailand
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Great addition, Bren. I know this thread isn't the only one out there about lowbee gear advice, but from talking to new people, most of them have no idea how valuable this gear is. Before archivist necklace was in the game, the only equivalent was the ring of spell storing, which I have tried for and not gotten in over 100 pops on that chest. All my casters (and any toon that can cast, ie rangers) have that necklace now.

    Does anyone remember groups of lvl 4 and 5 using the mushrooms in STK to get down to the spiders? It was either that or lose half your HPs (or die for some) if you just jump down because no one had feather fall. I think I died as a lowbee (more than once, blush) from falling from the ledge on the way to the dingy or water works.

    The curative cloak (or even better, vestments of light) is close to as good as the Titan coin. That coin has 3 charges of CMW, but only re-charges one per rest. Whereas the curative cloak is guranteed and you can stack as many as you want to carry.

    I can't think of anything in game that comes close to the bracers of assistance for benfit versus time invested.

  14. #14
    Community Member skyjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233

    Default

    This is a great, informative post. If i've seen this 2 weeks ago i wouldn't have screwed over the MP quest end reward.

    I'll bookmarked this so i can just link it to any new players that may find it useful!

    Never forget who you are, for surely the world won’t. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, & it will never be used to hurt you.

  15. #15
    Community Member KoboldKiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The 9th circle of hell.
    Posts
    7,055

    Default

    A capped alt with lots and lots of lowbie gear stored away works as well.


    Ehh, just kidding.

    Lesser restore pots, remove curse pots are a must.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

  16. #16
    Community Member nytewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    271

    Default

    A little reccomendation for those utilizing the shared bank tab. Running the Sharn Syndicate series provides the wonderful nicked weapons as well as +2 account bound stat items from end reward lists. In one run through the 6 quests I obtained 2 nicked Longswords, +2 Dex gloves (BTA usable lvl 1) and +2 Str Bracers (BTA usable lvl 1).

  17. #17
    Community Member prodONEg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    Posts
    47

    Default Monk items

    Just to add a few points for Monks to this thread.

    The Disciple's Robe is a great starting item from the Grotto:

    (Robe) Mage Armor (CL:1, 1/rest), Concentration +1 (End Chest - Non-WF Monks)

    Small Concentration boost and even after you find a better outfit/robe the Mage Armor clicky is great - 6 minutes per click :-). Especially useful until you can get the Black Widow bracers from Water Works (or if you can't get them).

    Also, the Nimble Grasp set is a great set for Halfling/finesse Monks to take from Misery's Peak, especially Halflings that take the enhancements for sneak attack damage (thanks to Angelus_dead for pointing it out in this thread - http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=204633).

  18. #18
    Community Member DANTEIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago / Sarlona
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    And don't hold back on the rep, if you really liked it
    I would except I don't know how to give rep or even what it's for.

  19. #19
    Community Member dopey69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,161

    Default nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    Miserys Peak Considerations (note that miserys peak can only give you 1 end reward ever. Sacrifices can be re-run several times):

    • Angers Gift + Angers Step (Sacrifices) set for any strength based meleer.
    • Pathfinders Necklace + Pathfinders Boots (Sacrifices) set for any dex based weapon-user.
    • Nimble Brooch + Nimble Hand (Sacrifices) set for any rogue who sneak attacks often.
    • Archivist Necklace for EVERY SINGLE CASTER.
    • Archivist Necklace for *EVERY* caster. Yes, I am repeating myself. I think this is very important. You only ever get one shot at this. The Arcane and Devoted sets have "ooh shiny" bonuses, but you will outgrow them in a level or two at most. You will never outgrow the benefit of Archivist Necklace. The set is not necessary, as the set bonus is negligible, but theres no downside to taking both items of the Archivist set.
    • Do not touch the Arcane Necklace, Devoted Necklace, Protectors Brooch, or Troubleshooters Necklace. The two caster necklaces get outgrown quickly, and are nowhere near as useful as the Archivist Necklace. The Protectors set offers +1 ac and light fortification, which is nice, but light fort can be replaced easily, and +1 ac isn't worth +2 to hit (From Angers or Pathfinders). Troubleshooters set gives great resistence bonuses, but you can easily find generic open locks and disable device +3 items to replace the most useful aspect of this set.


    Other Items of Note from Korthos:

    • Troubleshooters Goggles (Sacrifices) For any rogue. Just the goggles, not the set. +3 spot, +3 search, +3 listen (But no one uses listen) for a quick and fairly easy quest is a nice way to start your rogue career. Repeat Sacrifices for Nimble Hand.
    • Protectors Gloves (Sacrifices). Strictly for the 1/- DR. Only if you don't already have something better for your hand slot. Repeat Sacrifices for Angers Step or Pathfinders Boots.
    • Spear Bane (Cannith Crystal). I find piercing DR to be most useful in lower levels. Sahuagin use spears, and Miserys peak (and a few otehr quests) are loaded with archers, who seemingly do 0 damage even on elite while wearing Spear Block (This might've been a bug o_O?). Kobold Throwers and Kobold Warriors also seem to use piercing weapons, when you get to the Harbor.
    • Bracers of Assistance (Cannith Crystal). Stock up on as many as you like, and have a nearly unlimited +1 to-hit and a *lot* of extra hitpoints. Or spread them out among your group. And of course, always use them on teammates before you shrine, for 3 minutes of awesomeness.
    • Rugged Belt (Storehouse's Secret). 5 more hitpoints is nice for any starting character. And the other belts stink (Especially since you are likely to end up with +resistence item from Miserys Peak anyway)
    • Goggles of Insight (Necromancers Doom). This is a big one! +1 competence bonus to-hit that stack with just about everything (Unless someone knows of another Comptence bonus? I'm certianly not aware of any)
    • Ember Weapons (the Grotto). Yeah, seriously. You're handed a weapon thats just as good (Better against ice mephits and ice spiders) as a +1 weapon from the flippin tutorial. Don't sell this until you have atleast a +2 weapon. Trust me, it happens. A lot.
    • Ring of Water Breathing (the Grotto). Don't sell this either. There are many instances in the Harbor and Marketplace where a minute and a half of water breathing will be the difference between life and death (Especially for low strength characters in fullplate). or atleast the difference between a comfortable swim and a frantic struggle not to drown.
    • Lesser Monsterous Humanoid Bane Weapons (the Collaborator). For any weapon-using player, this is going to do fantastic damage against Sahuagins on Korthos. Keep it on your hotbar, and switch to it when you're about to fight Sahuagin. Switch back to your Ember Weapon to fight anything else. You won't see many Monsterous Humanoids in the Harbor though, so you're free to vendor this one off once you get there.
    • Engraved Ring (Rare Chests, Explorer Area). +1 protection is awesome, but this item is difficult to find. Don't sweat it if you miss this one.


    There are other useful items on Korthos, but these are the ones i consider the biggies. Honorable mention to Angers Step for Expiditious retreat 2/day (For any character who wouldn't otherwise have taken it) from Sacrifices, Curative cloak and Cloak of Feather Falling, from Redemption, and Protecive Gloves (Sheild 1/rest, great for TWF, THF and caster characters) and runic gloves from the chest locked away in Necro's Doom. Happy Hunting, new players!
    great post bren should help new players alot be nice if turbine stickied it in the ftp forums imo .....Ding! +rep

  20. #20
    Community Member Prism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    Spear Bane (Cannith Crystal). I find piercing DR to be most useful in lower levels. Sahuagin use spears
    What's weird is that their damage is classified as Slashing damage in the combat log, even though they do wield spears. I'm not sure if it's a mistake or not, but it makes Axe Bane just as valuable on Korthos.

    EDIT:

    Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    Bracers of Assistance (Cannith Crystal). Stock up on as many as you like, and have a nearly unlimited +1 to-hit and a *lot* of extra hitpoints. Or spread them out among your group. And of course, always use them on teammates before you shrine, for 3 minutes of awesomeness.
    Using a rest shrine will remove the temporary HP and +1 bonus - you'll have to use them again afterwards to retain the benefits. But I definitely agree with you, in that stocking up on these can be VERY useful.
    Last edited by Prism; 10-02-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Bracers of Assistance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload