Default Cleric slightly confused about armor and such.

Hello guys!

I've started up a nuker cleric (from the template for newbs sticky) and he's currently at lvl 5. I'm starting to understand the concepts of how DDO works and my role in a group currently. But what I'm getting stuck on is the way stats on gear don't stack, which confuses me, because I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for then. I generally try to find a mace of power for more spell points and a Devotion shield. Then I try to find a wisdom item, but now I'm stuck. I don't really know what to get for armor and goggles and all that jazz. Right now, I have a whole mix of stuff, a lot of it just has + to saves or something. And it doesn't help that I can't really use the AH due to the fact that I don't have much plat or gold. I also see some people that have some sort of set bonuses, which looks cool. Is it possible for me to get that sort of gear through quests/dungeons?

If anyone could give me a general idea as to what type of stuff I should be looking for or where to get some decent gear for Clerics, it'd be much appreciated!

P.S. I'm not a VIP, so if you could point me towards some free to play dungeons, that'd be nice. There is a possibility of buying a few adventure packs once I reach a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by jdam93 View Post
    Hello guys!

I've started up a nuker cleric (from the template for newbs sticky) and he's currently at lvl 5. I'm starting to understand the concepts of how DDO works and my role in a group currently. But what I'm getting stuck on is the way stats on gear don't stack, which confuses me, because I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for then. I generally try to find a mace of power for more spell points and a Devotion shield. Then I try to find a wisdom item, but now I'm stuck. I don't really know what to get for armor and goggles and all that jazz. Right now, I have a whole mix of stuff, a lot of it just has + to saves or something. And it doesn't help that I can't really use the AH due to the fact that I don't have much plat or gold. I also see some people that have some sort of set bonuses, which looks cool. Is it possible for me to get that sort of gear through quests/dungeons?

If anyone could give me a general idea as to what type of stuff I should be looking for or where to get some decent gear for Clerics, it'd be much appreciated!

P.S. I'm not a VIP, so if you could point me towards some free to play dungeons, that'd be nice. There is a possibility of buying a few adventure packs once I reach a higher level.
    You want to look for stuff that increases your survivability:

constitution items
    false life items
    fortification items

As a low level cleric, wearing the highest + armor and shield available for your levle will give you a moderately useful armor class; this will decline around about level 8-10. Even better, though, is an adamantine full plate, which will give you useful damage reduction.

If you started with a 12 or higher strength, a strength item and weapon couldn't hurt, either, as you'll be able to melee effectively at lower levels.

I'm not really sure what your question is but,

As a cleric you can wear full plate, the higher the + the better. Mithral will lessen the reduction in certain skills, as a cleric mainly jump. Jump is important to clerics and casters in avoiding mobs. (not that you should go out of your way to improve jump, there are spells available)

A wisdom item is important to a cleric, as is a potency item,

other than that what are you asking?
    Last edited by BattleCircle; 09-28-2009 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleCircle View Post
    I'm not really sure what your question is but,

As a cleric you can wear full plate, the higher the + the better. Mithral will lessen the reduction in certain skills, as a cleric mainly jump. Jump is important to clerics and casters in avoiding mobs. (not that you should go out of your way to improve jump, there are spells available)

A wisdom item is important to a cleric, as is a potency item,

other than that what are you asking?
    I was also asking if there were any decent items I could get in a certain dungeon/quest, so I have a clue as to where to go / what to do.

Stormreach Advisor

Fearsome armour - does not even need to be full plate, but maybe not a robe - as soon as you can get it (level 8 minimum, I think?) There are not that many cleric-specific items until you get to the Vault of Night and there is the Invaders! scepter...you will probably get by with whatever you find though.

Devotion items are good, since you get them at earlier levels, but also remember that Potency works on healing as well as all other spells. If playing offensively, Spell Penetration will start becoming meaningful around level 9-10.
    Sine Qua Non.