Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Master of the Tower (Wizard Build)

Decided to update my build here, It has been a long time since I first posted this, and a lot has changed since then.

The build is actually very achievable with time spent on it. Back a couple of years ago people really thought it would be eons before you could get your hands on a +4 tome, and some of the gear in the build, every thing reflected here is stuff that I have right now, and with effort, you can get it too.

The build has great survivability, excellent for farming, annihilates trash mobs, and in general has DC's high enough in all schools to play as crowd control as well. Additionally I will be posting skill progression shortly, but let me say that the build can also no fail UMD anything 42 or less, so you can also play a party support role as well, or part time healer.

Code:
    Pale Master of the Tower (3 Past lives, Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard)

Race: Drow

Class: Wizard

Stats:

Str: base: 8  Modified: 18 (+2 tome, +6 Gnawed Ring, +2 ship buff) 
    Dex: base: 10 Modified: 14 (+2 tome, +2 ship buff)
    Con: base: 14 Modified: 35 (+2 tome, +6 con in slot Epic diabolists robe, +3 exc. on Gnawed ring, +4 Lich form, +2 yugo pot, +2 rage. +2 ship buff)
    Int: base: 20 Modified: 50 (+5 level ups, +4 tome, +3 Wiz III enh, +2 cap stone, +7 Epic Diabolists robe, +3 exc. on Sanura's Band, + +2 Lich form, +2 Yugo pot, +2 ship buff)
    Wis: base: 8  Modified: 20 (+2 tome, +2 ship buff, +6 from Concordant Opposition Goggles, +2 lich form)
    Cha: base: 16 Modified: 22 (+2 tome, +2 ship buff, +2  lich form) Swap: 34 (+7 Epic Cloak of the Silver Concord, +3 exc. on Siberys Band, +2 yugo pot) 

Hit Points:  Base 80 Modified: 557 (+240 Constitution Bonus,  +45 Green Steel helmet,  +20 toughness slotted on Epic Diabolists Robe, +40 Superior false life on Epic Pouch of Jerky,  +20 Large Guild Augment boots, +20 Yugo pot, +20 Racial toughness, +22 toughness. +10 Draconic Vitality, +20 Heroic Durability, +20 Pale Master III)

Spell Points:  Base: 1125 Modified: 2580 (+150 Green Steel Goggles, +200 Arch magi Eerie Belt, +110 Wizard Energy of the scholar IV,  +105 Mental Toughness, +105  Improved mental toughness, +580 Intel Bonus,  +105 Arcane Prodigy, +20 Past life: Sorcerer, +80 Magical training) - Temp before Shrining and Buffing: 2710 (+50 from pirate trinket, +80 from large guild augment boots.) 

DC's: base: 10 Modified: 42 (+9 from heighten or spell level, +20 from Intel, +2 from Epic Staff of Insight, +1 Past Life: Arcane initiate) 

Necromancy: 45 (+1 Necromancy focus,  +1 Greater Necromancy focus,  +1 Lich form) 

Conjuration: 43 (+3 from Epic Diabolists robe, should be noted that it is only +1 more than what the Staff of Inner Sight provides.) 

Evocation: 44 (+2 Past Life: Sorcerer) 

Feats: L1 -Toughness. Maximize L3 - Past Life: Arcane Prodigy L5 - Spell Focus Necromancy L6 - Past Life: Arcane Initiate L9 - Mental Toughness L10 - Empower Spell L12 - Greater Spell Focus Necromancy L15 - Heighten, Improved Mental Toughness L18 - Quicken Spell L20 - Extend

Level 1 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar I

Level 2 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Maximizing I
    Enhancement: Glacial Spellcasting I
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence I

Level 3 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting I
    Enhancement: Deadly Ice I
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation II

Level 4 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics I
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation II
    Enhancement: Wizard Wand and Scroll Mastery I

Level 5 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Glacial Spellcasting II

Level 6 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence II
    Enhancement: Wizard Pale Master I

Level 7 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting II
    Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics II

Level 8 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Deadly Ice II
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation III
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar II

Level 9 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation IV
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar III

Level 10 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting III
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation V

Level 11 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence III

Level 12 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Pale Master II
    Enhancement: Shroud of the Vampire
    Enhancement: Shroud of the Wraith

Level 13 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting IV
    Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics III
    Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics IV
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation VI

Level 14 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar IV

Level 15 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting V
    Enhancement: Deadly Ice III
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation III
    Enhancement: Force Manipulation VII

Level 16 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics V
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation IV
    Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration I

Level 17 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Glacial Spellcasting III
    Enhancement: Glacial Spellcasting IV
    Enhancement: Deadly Ice IV
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation V

Level 18 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Shroud of the Lich
    Enhancement: Wizard Pale Master III

Level 19 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting VI
    Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics VI

Level 20 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Master of Magic
    Enhancement: Glacial Spellcasting V
    Enhancement: Glacial Spellcasting VI
    Enhancement: Deadly Ice V
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation VI

Items Generally Slotted:

Head: Mineral II Green Steel Helmet with +45 Hp and Heavy fort
    Goggles: Concordant Opposition Green Steel Goggles with +150 SP
    Neck: Epic Torc of Prince Raiyum 
    Trinket: Epic Pouch of Jerky
    Cloak: Epic Phiarlan Mirror Cloak
    Belt: Eerie Belt
    Gloves: (Swap Spot) Bramble Casters
    Boots: (Swap spot) Boots with Large Guild Augment (HP or SP)
    Bracers: Epic Bracers of the Demon Consort
    Left Ring: Sanuras Band with +3 exc. Intel
    Right Ring: Gnawed Ring with +3 exc con (this item swaps on occasion)
    Armor: Epic Diabolists Robe

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.10
    DDO Character Planner Home Page
    Last edited by irivan; 02-17-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Updating Post to Reflect changes based on my current Character
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    By our metrics you guys (forum folk) are less than 5% of the population. Bug reports come from 100% of the population.
    Master of the Tower
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=203205

Looks good.

Glad you finally came around on the whole toughness/HP thing. Would've loved to see ya in TOD with 250ish HPs .
    THE SEXY of ARGONNESSEN ~
    Now bringing the sexy back to AoK!!!
    Ashamed officer of : My Little PWNY
    Proud officer of :Archmagi

Quote Originally Posted by irivan View Post

Feats:
    Class – Heighten, Extend, Maximize, Empower, Quicken, Mental Toughness.
    Standard – Toughness, Improved Mental Toughness, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration. Insightful Reflexes, and Skill Focus UMD.
    Favor Granted–Draconic Vitality (Argonesson Favor)
    Move Mental Toughness from Class to Standard Feats...

Some good info there...

M.

the +3/+4 tomes are nice and +2 pots are nice in theory, in practice is a different story. not to nitpick on you because it's a general trend amongst builds to add in all sorts of situational or impossible things to achieves, but it's annoying as those things are attainable but not easily so (running with +2 pots is hella expensive, and i believe they do stack, i know 100% they did on beta)

Community Member mediocresurgeon's Avatar

You forgot Vile Blasphemy.

Store +2 stat potions stack with the Favor potions. Keep in mind that the +2 int favor potions reduce your fortification.

Since you run around with 9 minutes of +50% Potency 8 anyway, there is no point in using 3 items to get the Glacial Assault bonus. You are not really going to need more than 9 minutes of Polar Rays anyway, and the Efficacy is more versatile.
    Last edited by mediocresurgeon; 09-25-2009 at 03:13 PM.

The nerfing will continue until morale improves!

Has anyone actually gotten a +4 tome in the new mod? I don't know if we can realistically be counting them into builds (let alone 2 or 3 of them) until we start to get some reliable confirmation on them dropping.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Jhasmyne, Desideratum, Temere, Debacchor, Fidicina, Gregorii
    Ubique Eo, Invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Quote Originally Posted by Baahb3 View Post
    Has anyone actually gotten a +4 tome in the new mod? I don't know if we can realistically be counting them into builds (let alone 2 or 3 of them) until we start to get some reliable confirmation on them dropping.
    yes, i've seen a +4 wisdom drop on a cleric on argo

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baahb3 View Post
    Yes they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    Yes they have.
    Thanks for the info, I just had not seen any threads/screenshots on them yet. I expected the first few to be in screenshots plastered all over the fourms.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Jhasmyne, Desideratum, Temere, Debacchor, Fidicina, Gregorii
    Ubique Eo, Invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Community Member mediocresurgeon's Avatar

Default A Thorough Analysis of Equipment

I think most of your equipment was well planned, but it seems like you include some very inefficient uses doubleshard Greensteel.

Here is what I what I would keep the same:

Helmet: Minos Legens
    Goggles: Pos/Pos/Pos Greensteel (Charisma skills +6, +150 sp, raise dead 1/rest)
    Trinket: Litany of the Dead
    Cloak: Stormreaver's Cloak
    Ring1: Archmage Ring (+6 Int, +1 Int, +2 Int, enhanced spell critical)
    Ring2: Warchanter Ring (+6 Cha, +1 Strength, +2 Cha, lower metamagic cost)
    Belt: Archamge Belt (Archamagi, +50% Efficacy 8, enhanced spell crit)
    Necklace: Warchanter Necklace (Superior Potency VI, lower metamagic cost)
    Weapon (Off-hand): Skivver (Greater Arcane Lore, lower metamagic cost)

Here is what I would do differently:
    Robe: Dragontouched (+5 Saves, Constitution +6, +3 Spell Pen 8)
    Boots: Kundarak Delving Boots
    Bracers: Water/Fire/Earth Greensteel (+45 hp, +13 concentration)
    Gloves: Titan (+5 UMD) and Vile Blasphemy (+3 UMD, SP regen clickies)

This leaves you with an empty Weapon slot (main-hand). Depending on your spell selection, you might consider a +40% Potency 7, and maybe a hotswap to the Staff of the Petitioner for lower SP costs while buffing and a higher DCs (when spell crits do not apply, like Wail of the Banshee or Mass Hold Monster).

I was somewhat sceptical about putting Wizardry VI on tier 1 of your goggles, since the SP doesn't stack--but I left it, because it looks like you are trying to squeeze every point of UMD in that you can. (This is why the Warchanter ring gives +2 exceptional charisma.)

The Kundarak Delving boots are great for general use, and have great synergy with Sleet Storm.

Mental Toughness doesn't give very many SP, and because Vile Blasphemy is not exclusive, late in your adventuring career spell points will not be a problem. When you reach this point, I think you should take your own suggestion of swapping out for Spell Focus: Necromancy (1&2).
    Last edited by mediocresurgeon; 09-25-2009 at 03:56 PM.

The nerfing will continue until morale improves!

Quote Originally Posted by mediocresurgeon View Post
    I think most of your equipment was well planned, but it seems like you include some very inefficient uses doubleshard Greensteel.

Here is what I what I would keep the same:

Helmet: Minos Legens
    Goggles: Pos/Pos/Pos Greensteel (Charisma skills +6, +150 sp, raise dead 1/rest)
    Trinket: Litany of the Dead
    Cloak: Stormreaver's Cloak
    Ring1: Archmage Ring (+6 Int, +1 Int, +2 Int, enhanced spell critical)
    Ring2: Warchanter Ring (+6 Cha, +1 Strength, +2 Cha, lower metamagic cost)
    Belt: Archamge Belt (Archamagi, +50% Efficacy 8, enhanced spell crit)
    Necklace: Warchanter Necklace (Superior Potency VI, lower metamagic cost)
    Weapon (Off-hand): Skivver (Greater Arcane Lore, lower metamagic cost)

Here is what I would do differently:
    Robe: Dragontouched (+5 Saves, Constitution +6, +3 Spell Pen 8)
    Boots: Kundarak Delving Boots
    Bracers: Water/Fire/Earth Greensteel (+45 hp, +13 concentration)
    Gloves: Titan (+5 UMD) and Vile Blasphemy (+3 UMD, SP regen clickies)

This leaves you with an empty Weapon slot (main-hand). Depending on your spell selection, you might consider a +40% Potency 7, and maybe a hotswap to the Staff of the Petitioner for lower SP costs while buffing and a higher DCs (when spell crits do not apply, like Wail of the Banshee or Mass Hold Monster).

I was somewhat sceptical about putting Wizardry VI on tier 1 of your goggles, since the SP doesn't stack--but I left it, because it looks like you are trying to squeeze every point of UMD in that you can. (This is why the Warchanter ring gives +2 exceptional charisma.)

The Kundarak Delving boots are great for general use, and have great synergy with Sleet Storm.

Mental Toughness doesn't give very many SP, and because Vile Blasphemy is not exclusive, late in your adventuring career spell points will not be a problem. When you reach this point, I think you should take your own suggestion of swapping out for Spell Focus: Necromancy (1&2).
    You have some good suggestions there Mediocre, i will put some thought into it, but just so you know i did not include all of the gear possibilities and combo's/situationals, it was just to laborious at the time, but perhaps in the future as i update this thing.

Also has any one confirmed if it is just a bug that the Archmage items do not stack or if it was intended to be that way, the reason i had the glacial assault set up going like that is because I was under the impression those were meant to stack and at some point would be fixed?
    By our metrics you guys (forum folk) are less than 5% of the population. Bug reports come from 100% of the population.
    Master of the Tower

Quote Originally Posted by M.ham View Post
    Move Mental Toughness from Class to Standard Feats...

Some good info there...

M.
    Good catch, will adjust soon.
    Master of the Tower

Not that Drow can't make excellent wizards, but if you are going for MASTER of the Tower, WF will be superior. Quickened Reconstruct and additional hit points can mean the difference between success and failure in some parts.

I'll agree with Tot, if listing the stat pots, probably good to list the negative side effects on your saves, etc.

For greensteel, work in a few Con-Op items if you can.

For the neck slot the DQ Torc is king for divine and arcane casters, then use a sup pot weapon or get greater pot 7 on your DT armor.

You may also want to craft a double or tripple frost weapon if you kite in part 2 at all.

Lastly, all of the arcane sets are curently not stacking.
    Guilds: Prophets of the New Republic & Revenents Khyber
    Active:
    Clean 18barb/2ftr Cleen 20arti Kleaner 20monk Darkstaar Dark Knight Psyborg 20sorc Warrwitch 20wiz Roque 19rog/1mnk Killeric 18fvs/2monk AA Duality Helves Angel
    Builds: Helves Angel Hurtlocker Dark Knight Riddle of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Star View Post
    Not that Drow can't make excellent wizards, but if you are going for MASTER of the Tower, WF will be superior. Quickened Reconstruct and additional hit points can mean the difference between success and failure in some parts.

I'll agree with Tot, if listing the stat pots, probably good to list the negative side effects on your saves, etc.

For greensteel, work in a few Con-Op items if you can.

For the neck slot the DQ Torc is king for divine and arcane casters, then use a sup pot weapon or get greater pot 7 on your DT armor.

You may also want to craft a double or tripple frost weapon if you kite in part 2 at all.

Lastly, all of the arcane sets are curently not stacking.
    The Reason that Drow make the Master of the Tower, and not War Forged is simple. WF will never have the UMD score to make them consistent healers of the entire party. With the Drow version you can do that, and as you can see the hit point total is more than sufficient to survive nearly any encounter, considering that I have run this through the hardest battles (Abbott, Tower, Shroud, etc...) and been the one saving the party including ones where other WF casters have gone down, or healed them from the brink, i think that supports my case. Remember you also cannot be interrupted when you use quicken with a heal scroll as well. In addition WF will never have maximum possible DC either. one of the points of this build is to achieve that, making all monsters susceptible to its variety of spell.

I am not making the case that WF casters are inferior, but i am stating that they just aren't as useful to the whole party and their one shot rates are lower.

I will work here in the future to add in the save negs from the pots as well.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Master of the Tower

Remember you also cannot be interrupted when you use quicken with a heal scroll as well.
    This is not true, I have tested it
    Arannel, Aqueous, Cocobolo, Arboreous, Erudirion, Congruous, and Cogs
    Ghallanda Rerolled

I lean more towards robust builds that use beholder proof stats for their final numbers. All in all looks like a solid wizzy, highly gear dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by valorik View Post
    This is not true, I have tested it
    You are correct, this is an oversight on my part, but really with a 50+ concentration, you still don't get interrupted.

Oh and aren't all Characters at the high end highly gear dependent?
    Master of the Tower

Oh and aren't all Characters at the high end highly gear dependent?
    Not really dude. GTWF KotC using holy sword spell and weapons of good cap. Pretty rocking DPS, cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by shinmade View Post
    Not really dude. GTWF KotC using holy sword spell and weapons of good cap. Pretty rocking DPS, cheap.
    So no green steel, no knight of the chalice belt and ring, no tomes, no stat items, no other raid loot?

I guess i just have to take your word for it.

Are there casters that are not gear dependent? After all this is what this thread is about

Are there casters that can achieve end game max DC without gear and enhancements?
    Master of the Tower

So no green steel, no knight of the chalice belt and ring, no tomes, no stat items, no other raid loot?

I guess i just have to take your word for it.

Are there casters that are not gear dependent? After all this is what this thread is about

Are there casters that can achieve end game max DC without gear and enhancements?
    What I find rather amusing is that despite having seen max DC casters in Llamania, they still needed some shots of enervation for their instakill DC based spells

And you made the generalization that ALL characters at endgame are dependent on gear.

Player > Gear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast