Community Member

Default So what's up with the speed of MyDDSlow?

I'm still not sure if I like or dislike MyDDO... it sure looks like there's a lot of cool stuff now that people have started populating their blogs and whatnot.

But... why so slow? Seriously, half the time I try going there, I just give up and find something else to do. And it's not just on initial load, every single link I click is another long wait. Surfing MyDDO is reminiscent of the old days of AOL.

Perhaps this example will help: I run my 9-yr old backup computer as a webserver. It has a 1.9GHz P4 and 1 GB of RAM, running off a home cable connection that is shared with three other computers. It loads 10x faster than MyDDO.

Seriously... what's the deal here? Plans to fix it?

I've experienced the same thing and don't even bother going there anymore. On top of that, I haven't been able to log in at all. It just refreshes back to a blank log in screen. Bug report/technical help requests filed over a week ago and no response. I wonder how many other people are having this problem?
    A wise man once said that if you don't know the answer to something there is no shame in simply saying "I don't know."

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_D'Arabel View Post
    I've experienced the same thing and don't even bother going there anymore. On top of that, I haven't been able to log in at all. It just refreshes back to a blank log in screen. Bug report/technical help requests filed over a week ago and no response. I wonder how many other people are having this problem?
    Noticed you had an underscore in your name. Your problem is probably "somewhat" related to what I'm & others are having with special characters and myDDO functionality (though I can log in, but that's it).

However, not to derail Strakeln's thread, yeah, myDDO is painfully slow. Over a minute in some cases (or longer) just to load. By that time.. I've opened a new browser tab to check something else out.. or just moved on.
    Loreseekers - Khyber* "Someone say loot?" - DDO Wiki
    Paahketgz (14 retired) / Minni Tingz (19, *Officer) / Ankles (16) / Gruntsalot (10) / Meanad D'theban
    (20) / Piket (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Strakeln View Post
    Perhaps this example will help: I run my 9-yr old backup computer as a webserver. It has a 1.9GHz P4 and 1 GB of RAM, running off a home cable connection that is shared with three other computers. It loads 10x faster than MyDDO.
    You have a 2 TB database with 1 million rows of data being accessed from that home web-page?

Yeah, it's slow... Yeah, they need to optimize it... but your example doesn't mean much
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    You have a 2 TB database with 1 million rows of data being accessed from that home web-page?

Yeah, it's slow... Yeah, they need to optimize it... but your example doesn't mean much
    It's meant to provide an illustration of how foolish this slowness is (scale your hardware/connection to the service you intend on providing). Of course, there's always some yahoo who takes it as a scale-up example. Thanks for showing up.
    Last edited by Strakeln; 09-24-2009 at 02:03 PM.

We're aware of some of the performance issues and have a few fixes in the pipeline.

As Thrudh said, we have immense databases of character activity and quite a heavy load across all of our web sites so it's a little more complicated than a backup web server. In this case, we know of one unoptimized database query that may be responsible for many of the slowdowns. Hopefully that change will go live in the near future and we'll be able to see how much of the problem it addresses. If things are still slow, we'll continue looking for other optimizations we can make.

Roland, the reason you cannot log in is most likely due to a known issue with forum usernames that contain certain characters (apostrophes and periods are known to be unable to login at this time).

I think myddo is cool. sure its a bit slow, but I haven't run into those problems you state.

The problem I ran into was it not saving any of the bio information I entered on my bio and the guild bio. Once that happened, I just left it blank and figured I'd go back to it eventually.

The home page should be much faster now and this might have positive spillover effects to the rest of the site. The performance still isn't where we want and as such we are investigating and planning some other infrastructural changes that should alleviate some of the slowness that still exists. This will probably take a little time to properly plan and execute - I just wanted to let you know we are working on these issues.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bracket View Post
    I just wanted to let you know we are working on these issues.
    Good to hear, thanks for letting us know.

Community Member

Not that it's an excuse for the slowness, but I think we should all keep in mind that MyDDO is still in Beta testing mode. So, our feedback and tinkering will help them fix it.

Like the utility overall. Kudos to the folks on this project.

Community Member

I'm using Google Chrome, in my.ddo admin page there is option to use Gears, i did and things seems faster. Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

yeah, my guild page seems to take 2-3 minutes to load anything, i know its in testing but just giving an example. i was tempted to write a html scraper to use this data, but the script would timeout before the site gave a response at this point.