Default Dwarven Barb - Feat Advice

Good day all,

I've recently come back to DDO after a long absence and am part of an established party of five players. The role of DPS came to me and I rolled a dwarf barbarian.

Started STR 18, CON: 16, DEX: 12, INT: 8, WIS: 10, CHA: 6. First level Feat was Two Handed Combat. As far as action point adds - I've stuck so far to the rage oriented buffs for the most part (extended, more rages) although I did add the action point fueled damage buff and Dwarven Axe Damage I.

I'm just a sliver below 3rd and tonight I'm sure to get it in short order. So I'm wondering about feats and had a few questions. Right now I'm torn between Toughness (is it worth it for a dwarf?) or just starting on the path to Frenzied Beserker by picking up power attack (or is it too early?)

Now I'm going to pick up power attack and cleave eventually but some questions I have specifically:

1. Is toughness worth dipping into at 3rd or should I stay with damage oriented / combat feats?

2. Is the Barbarian DR Enhancement worth taking?

3. Is Constitution Stat Enhancement worth taking?

Thanks for any help/info you can provide.
    Last edited by Malfayne; 09-19-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Community Member

I would not worry about Toughness you will be fine without it.

1 2H Fighting
    3 Power Attack
    6 Improved 2H fighting
    9 Improved Crit Slashing
    12 Cleave or Greater 2H Fighting or Stunning Blow
    15 Cleave or Greater 2H Fighting or Stunning Blow
    18 Cleave or Greater 2H Fighting or Stunning Blow

Last 3 can be played around with where you want. I think first few are easy choice.

I'd personally take Toughness over Stunning Blow. I think the approximately 80+ hp you can get from Toughness and enhancements will save your character's life much more often than Stunning Blow.
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Toughess is an ok feat, but it's not one that will benefit you as much as others claim.

More realisticly getting 80+ hp out of the feat would severely gimp your character and cause many more deaths then it saves.

At most you'd get ~60 hp, with feat + 4 enhancements, at lvl20.. Going beyond that is quite a waste of AP and really cuts into other important things.

~60 hp on a class that can reach 800+ (max potential over 900 with 16 starting con).. Is a pretty small increase.

It's an ok feat, but not one worth taking tell endgame when you can afford more AP, and even then a tough choice between it and stunning blow.

RE: I'd recommend taking cleave earlier, lvl6 is a good place - as it's required for Frenzy Bersserker, a very good PrC enhancement (and currently the only choice)

2. Yes. DR is very good to have. At low lvls, the boost is quite effective. At higher lvls, respec out of the boost and go for the passive, as it can reach 9/-, and doesnt stack with the boost. Altho Frenzy Berskere requires Dmg Boost - and its hard to afford AP to get both, so kinda gota choose.

3. Yes. Tho only 1 rank of each. 1 dwarf con + 1 barb con = 2 con, for 4ap.. Which at lvl20 means, +20 hp, +12 seconds of rage per use, +1 fort save, good benefits for 4ap.

Quote Originally Posted by boldarblood View Post
    I would not worry about Toughness you will be fine without it.

1 2H Fighting
    3 Power Attack
    6 Improved 2H fighting
    9 Improved Crit Slashing
    12 Cleave or Greater 2H Fighting or Stunning Blow
    15 Cleave or Greater 2H Fighting or Stunning Blow
    18 Cleave or Greater 2H Fighting or Stunning Blow

Last 3 can be played around with where you want. I think first few are easy choice.
    As Shade said, you need cleave at level 6 to Grab FB1, which I highly recommend.
    I was also unsure about taking it (I had started with Toughness, then switched it for PA at lvl5) as I didn'yt know if I wanted to give up 30+ HP's for FB. I tried it, and haven't regretted it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    RE: I'd recommend taking cleave earlier, lvl6 is a good place - as it's required for Frenzy Bersserker, a very good PrC enhancement (and currently the only choice)
    Is FB 1 really worth it at low levels though?
    I dont really have a whole lot of experience with pure barbs but it seems you might want those AP for something like DR etc... not to mention you probably wont have enough hp (especially without toughness) to get full benefit of the frenzy until higher levels.
    Thelanis Thylus Thelassir Kjeldorn Ingrisstohr Khaarnath Lyriah Byrron Grunzo Thylandras Kharandras Thylandar Mallachias Kharnofski Grunzar Thyax Kharnoth Ghallanda Lykanthar Kharnor Thelanar Kharnaxe Kharnoth
    Khyber Gimpo

I'd say I love it at level 6 (still only level 9 but..)

That being said, I do have the cash to keep myself in pots.

I think I'd say FB1 is alot of fun, but it's not really a game changer (which I'm assuming FB2/3 will be)

Certainly it's new enough that parites won't be expecting you to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Archer View Post
    Is FB 1 really worth it at low levels though?
    I dont really have a whole lot of experience with pure barbs but it seems you might want those AP for something like DR etc... not to mention you probably wont have enough hp (especially without toughness) to get full benefit of the frenzy until higher levels.
    I never found hitpoints to be a concern at low lvl on my barbs. Always had tons of them, even ones i didn't use a con tome on. DR is important, but the AP cost actually isn't much as your limited by lvl restrictions anyways. You'd only have DR boost II.

Just checked the cost for lvl6, and you can have all FB prereqs, DR boost II, and about 13+ AP left over to spend on other goodies. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

Toss up a DR boost, for 9 DR, run in there and slaughter everything. You'd kill so fast that you'd take almost no dmg from the mobs and everythign dies so fast the healers shouldnt mind toss you a couple cure charges at the end anyways. That or a few cure potions will do it. It only cost 10hp to enter frenzy, thats like a cure light potion after you do it... And you'll have plenty of hp, should have around ~150+ by lvl6.
    +2 str and +2d6 is quite a significat amount of dmg boost at lvl6. Haven't tried it yet as all my barbs were capped, but I know thats a huge boost for that lvl. Free diehard and more glancing blow procs are always nice too. I remember using a vicious greatclub at lvl6 a while back actually, when vicious dmg was 1d6, in deleras. It was fine and the healers didn't mind. Add that ontop of maybe a holy greatclub, and you'll be utterly destroying that quest.

Smile

Thanks for all the feedback. So far I'm really impressed with the older players in this community, everyone is very helpful.

I've picked up PA at 3 and I'm on my way to FB at 6. We'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfayne View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. So far I'm really impressed with the older players in this community, everyone is very helpful.

I've picked up PA at 3 and I'm on my way to FB at 6. We'll see how that goes.
    We prefer the term "Veteran". Us old-timers can be a little sensitive about our age. Now, get off my lawn, you $%#@* kids!
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).