Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62
  1. #1
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    20,358

    Thumbs down Off Site Banner Ads Now?

    Oh, what the hell is this?
    Where did these come from and why?


    Really bad form, Turbine... I mean, good lord - are you trying to dive folks away?
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

    .58888.

  2. #2
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Lerincho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,394

    Default

    Gonna have to say that this is very distasteful.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

  3. #3
    Community Member Twerpp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ennervated,mind blasted,psionically dominated,encased in stone in the subterrane
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    DDO is starting to resemble a POS free game.

  4. #4
    Community Member KoboldKiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The 9th circle of hell.
    Posts
    7,066

    Default

    Quick question. Do we want DDO to survive?

    If your answer is yes then we need to accept certain changes they have made in order to generate more revenue to keep the game alive.

    If your answer is no, then why are you here anyway?
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

  5. #5
    Community Member ThrasherGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    /disagree

    Anything that gets Turbine more money for development is a good thing.........

    BTW, only banner I've seen is the one for this game (So far)
    Mmmmmmmmm.......Doughnuts! - Homer Simpson

  6. #6
    Community Member Robi3.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In lab Renegadely Making
    Posts
    2,363

    Default

    I think the most amusing part about this is I am watching a banner ad right now that is advertising DDO.

    Redundancy much?

    Also to be clear BOO! on banner adds!
    there's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans on seeing tomorrow then there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

  7. #7
    The Hatchery Drekisen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    I think the obvious answer is in my thread.

    This game is going all F2P, we are getting all those TP's a month for free because when they finally cancel subscriptions at least some of the original base will stick around because they will have TP's left to buy what they once got for free.

    Attack speeds were slowed because the big seller in the store is going to be an attack speed booster.

    End of story, I hope I am, wrong, but I think I am not.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Impaqt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    20,559

    Default

    Ugh. Just got hit with this as well....

    Please disable ads for VIPs at least.

    So dissapointed.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,451

    Default

    All in the name of revenue..... Welcome to the business world

    I can't wait for in game adds.. Such as You are now entering the Tower of Despair brought to you by Blah Blah Meds, the makers of Lithium.... "Do not despair Lithium is here for you, it will mellow those times when your despair is overwhelming you"


  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Yes. But I don't need to see this ****. I subscribe so they really don't need to pitch this **** to me.

    And if these ads are the only thing between the success and failure of DDO....kill it now and let us move on.

    Oh, yes...i'm here because I love D&D (not WoW or any other variation of D&D) and this is the closest i can get to it ...but i don't need to be bombarded with ads that mean nothing to a paying subscriber.

    I'm with the OP.


    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldKiller View Post
    Quick question. Do we want DDO to survive?

    If your answer is yes then we need to accept certain changes they have made in order to generate more revenue to keep the game alive.

    If your answer is no, then why are you here anyway?
    Khyber Server
    Tarackian / ZuZu / Lightningbug / Rockme / TerraMater / CuraTeIpsum / IamtheMatrix / LifeTaker / Grimdeath / Godsbreath / Killerbee / Kyokujitsu
    Loreseekers - Member and Elder

  11. #11
    Founder & Hero cdbd3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Escaping Mizzery in the Tavern Attic.
    Posts
    28,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Oh, what the hell is this?
    Where did these come from and why?


    Really bad form, Turbine... I mean, good lord - are you trying to dive folks away?

    *Sigh*


    Yeah... Not unexpected.
    Ads are big money for a site that gets a lot of clicks. And we do seem to do a bunch of clicking around here...

    *light bulb pops overhead*
    Waitasec....

    That's why the 'combat change' took place... They knew we'd be clicking up a mad storm of activity to rage about it, blowing click count thru the roof long enough to make numbers to show potential ad clients. Soon as that's done, then we get our change-back, and we can settle back in with only the annoyingly irritating banner ads (and underlying data bugs) to deal with......


    (All that tin foil in me hat now. Oh, the Apple jelly jars i coulda made with all that.) :
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

  12. #12

    Default

    Firefox + Noscript + Adblock Plus = No adds (on just about every site on the internet)

    http://www.dkforums.com - Look Mom it's a Guild forum, can I have one too?

  13. #13
    The Hatchery Drekisen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    I think what u guys are missing is VIP's are being phased out.

  14. #14
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Lerincho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldKiller View Post
    Quick question. Do we want DDO to survive?

    If your answer is yes then we need to accept certain changes they have made in order to generate more revenue to keep the game alive.

    If your answer is no, then why are you here anyway?
    okay so they need to generate money to survive, we understand that. however, for VIPs to see the ads without having ability to turn them off, distasteful. just as cable company sending you advertisements of their servers when you already pay them.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,451

    Default

    Really though who cares..... As long as they don't put those stupid floaty pop-ups on my screen, a banner ad is no bother, at least to me......

  16. #16
    Community Member Rog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    they going this path of the forums so be it in game would be over the line. now use this new source of money and bring us new mods on a reg basis.

  17. #17
    Community Member Vua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldKiller View Post
    Quick question. Do we want DDO to survive?

    If your answer is yes then we need to accept certain changes they have made in order to generate more revenue to keep the game alive.

    If your answer is no, then why are you here anyway?
    I'm here to play a game and enjoy myself. DDO's survival is really not my concern. While it's here and I enjoy it I'll play it. Once it's no longer fun I'm gone. If the servers close before I stop enjoying it then oh well. I've managed to live 90% of my life without this game and I've enjoyed most of it.

  18. #18
    Community Member ThrasherGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vVvAiaynAvVv View Post
    I think the obvious answer is in my thread.

    This game is going all F2P, we are getting all those TP's a month for free because when they finally cancel subscriptions at least some of the original base will stick around because they will have TP's left to buy what they once got for free.

    Attack speeds were slowed because the big seller in the store is going to be an attack speed booster.

    End of story, I hope I am, wrong, but I think I am not.
    First, Your font color is REALLY hard to read, but I digress.......

    I, for one, would quit DDO in a heartbeat if I could not keep My Sub. Why would Turbine get rid of a steady revenue stream? It just doesn't make sense.........

    Lastly, the new combat system has been out for ONE DAY. Maybe give them some time to tweak it before You cry DOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!11!!!11!!!
    Mmmmmmmmm.......Doughnuts! - Homer Simpson

  19. #19
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    20,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vVvAiaynAvVv View Post
    I think what u guys are missing is VIP's are being phased out.
    I hope you're wrong, but I no longer consider anything to be too outlandish of an idea anymore.


    VIPs should be able to turn this garbage off. As it is, I'm getting the adblocker mentioned by Dragonkiller.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

    .58888.

  20. #20
    The Hatchery Drekisen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrasherGT View Post
    First, Your font color is REALLY hard to read, but I digress.......

    I, for one, would quit DDO in a heartbeat if I could not keep My Sub. Why would Turbine get rid of a steady revenue stream? It just doesn't make sense.........

    Lastly, the new combat system has been out for ONE DAY. Maybe give them some time to tweak it before You cry DOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!11!!!11!!!
    I'm not crying DOOOOOM, if they make this an all F2P game it will survive, in fact it may do better, but if u think about it what I say makes sense.

    They are clearly looking for more money, I can't see a better way than by slowing down the attacks and putting an item in the store that makes u attack faster.

    I just hope it doesn't vanish on death like some of the other F2P games I play.

    What doesn't make sense to me is why would Turbine give a steady stream of revenue a reason to save up thier TP's for a few month and then just cancel and have the whole game for free?

    Heck, they can take all the time they need to "FIX" iit now, I can just play my other games that are actually honest upfront about stuff instead of using these stealthy tactics, and when I get the urge to experience DDO just log on for free and play.

    Really, I hope I am wrong, I wanna be wrong in this case, but DDO is really quickly becoming not my favorite anymore, just another MMO.....just like the VIP's are quickly becoming just another means of money for them and not really VIP at all.
    Last edited by vVvAiaynAvVv; 09-18-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload