Thread: Mac Compatible?

Community Member

Default Mac Compatible?

I couldn't find any other place for this, so i am wrighting it here. I was wondering if you can download and install this on a Mac computer.

I have grown up with PC's so I might just not know how to do it, but when i try to download it, it receives it. But when i say to open it,I get the readme file, or the game code. What am i doing wrong?
    Or is it just not made for Macs?

Thanks for any help.

If you have an Intel Mac you can use BootCamp and run the game normally. After you have enabled boot camp and made a windows partition move the file you downloaded there. Another option is http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames The problem here is that Turbine has used .net so .net must be fooled into allowing the game to run. There is a small python program that needs to run first called http://www.lotrolinux.com/download.php PyLotRO
    I am using boot camp but plan to move to the codweavers solution.

Community Member

OK, thanks!

Community Member

I run DDO under Crossover Games for Mac (CXG) and I confirm that it works fine apart from the fact that there is no sound in cut scenes/movies. Sound works perfectly everywhere else in the game.

The downloader for the free version of DDO will not run under CXG though, so you will actually need to boot into Windows (using bootcamp) in order to download the game or get someone you know with a PC to download it and copy the install files onto a DVD for you.

The steps involved in getting it running under CXG are as follows:
    1. Boot into windows and download the standard or hi-res versions of the full game. Don't download using Turbine download manager. What you download initially is a small .exe file, which you then need to run to download the whole game. Once the whole game is downloaded, don't install it. You should end up with a folder with a file called dndsetup.exe and several .bin files.

2. Boot back into OSX and launch CXG (which you can get from the codeweavers link in the previous post). There is a trial version that will run for 7 days. Make a Windows 2000 bottle using Configure/manage bottles. Don't be tempted to make a Windows XP bottle or you will have no sound plus other problems. Call the bottle something like DDO.

3. Install DDO into the bottle you have just created using Configure/Install software. Click the "Install unsupported software button" then follow the steps to install into your DDO bottle (don't be concerned when CXG tells you that this bottle probably won't work). Click the "Choose installer file" option and navigate to the dndsetup.exe that you previously downloaded (it will be in your bootcamp partition somewhere or wherever you copied it to). The installer should run fine, but will give a couple of error messages. Ignore these. The errors relate to the launcher which doesn't run under CXG, but you will replace that in the next step. After installation, don't try to run the game get.

4. Download PyLoTRO from the link in the previous post. Download the standalone version.

5. Install PyLoTRO into your DDO bottle using the same procedure as step 3.

6. After PyLoTRO is installed, run it by choosing it from the Programs menu in CXG.

7. At this point it will likely fail (it will say language files not found) as it won't be able to find your game directory. Select the Settings wizard from the Tools menu in PyLoTRO. This window may come up behind the other window and not be immediately obvious, but just move the front window out of the way. Choose the DDO option. It should find your game directory. Click on the shown file path, then click Apply.

8. PyLOTRO should then show a list of DDO servers. Choose your server, enter account name and password and the game should launch and run.

As stated above, you won't get any sound in the cut scenes, but otherwise DDO should run well. There are issues associated with playing in a window and switching apps, so it's better to run full screen.

Thanx + rep

Community Member

I got to this tread by searching for something totally different, but I'm very glad that I found it. I have successfully installed the game client and the PyLotRO launcher and I can confirm that the game does start up on my Mac. However, when it attempts to connect to the server, the game quits saying I don't have the right version installed. Is there any way to update the game version using the CrossOver/PyLotRO software? If not, how would I download the update on my Boot Camp partition and then apply it on my Mac? I found it hard to find the game installer on ddo.com, in fact, I had to create a dummy account just to find it, so I don't have much hope finding each individual update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now, I guess I'll restart my computer and play from my Windows partition.

**** EDIT **** I feel so stupid. I just figured it out. For anyone else who might have the same problem, you can go to the "Tools" menu in the PyLotRO launcher and select "Patch". I guess this xkcd comic would have come in handy...
    Last edited by NeutralNemesis; 10-09-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Community Member

If it says you have the wrong version, you just need to patch.

Launch PyLoTRO, select patch from the tools menu and then click start, then click exit when it's finished. After the game is patched it should launch fine.

Community Member

Exclamation

ok i did everything listed. when i log in and get to where you can actually play a big black box appears and i cant see anything i have to move the menus and such to the bottom to be able to see them id say about 75% of the screen is unusable because of this. and ideas? thanks in advance!

Community Member

I followed the directions. Got in and than tried changing the game resolution and have been getting this error right after the intro screen finishes loading:

OPENA32DLL - Still didn't find exact match, picking first

At this point the game has crashed and is no longer running. I tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling again, deleted the bottle and started over again, but still I get this error. If it helps I'm running Snow Leopard and am running on the trial version of Crossover
    Last edited by Trook; 10-23-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Community Member

Default How do you get it to work

On a MacBook Pro?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emrani View Post
    The downloader for the free version of DDO will not run under CXG though, so you will actually need to boot into Windows (using bootcamp) in order to download the game or get someone you know with a PC to download it and copy the install files onto a DVD for you.

The steps involved in getting it running under CXG are as follows:
    1. Boot into windows and download the standard or hi-res versions of the full game. Don't download using Turbine download manager. What you download initially is a small .exe file, which you then need to run to download the whole game. Once the whole game is downloaded, don't install it. You should end up with a folder with a file called dndsetup.exe and several .bin files.
    Before finding this thread, I used the Turbine download manager to get the full (standard) game files. They were in one big .rar file, which contained the .bins and installer.
    I used that to install DDO, and the installation seemed to go OK. When I try to use PyLotRO to launch the client, I get the login window just fine but when I click "Login" I get a new window called Output that gives me an error message (Game Error [201] - Can't open the data files....) and I can't get past that point.

Is this related to how I downloaded the game, using the Turbine dl manager, or is this something else?
    I don't have a Windows box and really don't want to have to bootcamp if I can avoid it.

This is on a MacBook Pro, Intel running Snow Leopard.

thanks

I believe I've followed the instructions completely, but after installing and patching the game ... when I launch, the splash screen appears, then is replaced with another screen that just should a white grid of lines over a light blue background. A loading progress bar appears and as it fills, some text beneath it provides loading status update. When the bar completes, the window closes entirely, and PyLotRO reports "*** Finished ***".

Any ideas on why it is behaving this way?

I'm assuming that screen with the lines was supposed to show another image.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingstrange View Post
    I believe I've followed the instructions completely, but after installing and patching the game ... when I launch, the splash screen appears, then is replaced with another screen that just should a white grid of lines over a light blue background. A loading progress bar appears and as it fills, some text beneath it provides loading status update. When the bar completes, the window closes entirely, and PyLotRO reports "*** Finished ***".

Any ideas on why it is behaving this way?

I'm assuming that screen with the lines was supposed to show another image.
    I've experienced this same problem on two different MacPro's and a MacBook. Not sure what's going on, I've uninstalled Crossover (v.9.0.1) and DDO...reinstalled both, patched the game, but it still just quits. Going to try an earlier version of Crossover.
    -Qetsil / Sickcat / Dorktastic / Belir / Peachfuzz / Fysh / Sometime / Segment / Skwash / Pyg / Swetn / Smurfingly, And 2 nameless others
    All Thelanis, all the time...FER SHIZZLE!

Community Member

i run ddo with wine/pylotro on my linux box. no crossover. works fine. latest wine might fix your problems

i'd give it a try http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing
    Thelanis - Inferus Sus
    Keeper Refugee - Exclusively playing Warforged
    Nursing IsFutile (FvS) - Unorthodox Behaviour (Kensai) - Bigbofo (Warchanter) - Nukelear Blast (Sorc) - Jurugu Fleshbane (currently TRing) - Reviving IsCheaper (Radiant Blaster)

Community Member

Default Bootcamp

I'm a very new Mac user and so far very pleased with my MacBook Pro. It seems there are two opinions on using bootcamp with some in favor of it and others doing anything else they can to keep from booting up Windows on their Mac. I've not tried setting it up yet but i'm motivated to so i can play DDO on my MacBook. Could anyone share some thoughts on pro's and con's of using Bootcamp?

I've tried running the game through Wine and Parallels, and it either didn't work, or the experience was fairly poor. I have an 8-core Mac Pro with 6GB RAM. In Parallels, I ran a virtualized Windows XP using 1 or 2 cores, and 1 GB of RAM. The game ran, but it was SLOW. Also, there were some major rendering issues which would definitely prevent you from getting very far. Entire pieces of terrain and geometry were not being rendered.

When I run DDO, I use bootcamp. You're using the actual hardware (no virtualization), which means you can use decent video card drivers, you have smooth mouse response, etc.

Hope that helps.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Hi, i run DDO on wine according to the guide found here:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=17785

This is a fairly intense process and involves having installed wine. When installing wine you will have to make sure you compile with necessary packages etc. Wine is the same as crossover just not supported in the same way. Crossover and wine are a unix based solution (this is usable on linux/ubuntu/osx etc)

I used this thread for some of my troubleshooting:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=212618

I've tried a few different methods to install wine but possibly the easiest (and the one that i am using now) is macports which you can find here:

http://www.macports.org/

you will also need to update x11 and possibly install/update a bunch of stuff. If you follow the how to guides it's reasonably straight forward.

i spent some time trying to run ddo on my mbp c2d :
    - crossover games trial crashes at character selection screen
    - pure wine install from scratch should be quite long, i gave up when seeing that freetype must be 32 bits to be recognized by wine
    - wine from macports is easier to install, but after patching game fails to start since it fails to launch direct3D, i tried to find a solution in the threads pointed in this one, but none functioned

now am gonna go back to either bootcamp, which seems to definitely be the best solution to play ddo if you dont mind waisting space on your hd, in my case a ssd so its not the coolest aspect of the operation, or more simply play ddo on a pc. or even easier just change of mmo and use a mac-friendly one, the idea of a mmo purely based on microsoft technologies like turbine mmos sounds wrong.
    Thelanis | Xispeo - Crystalius - Tyua - Extazer - Eneken - Takiji - Mirn - Crystalizer - Sowenn

interesting
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    interesting
    I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I find this interesting too. I dual-boot between Snow Leopard and Win XP (32-bit). I have the game installed and running in XP, but the performance is poor and not taking advantage of additional memory > 3 GB due to its being a 32-bit OS. Has there been a successful method for running in OS X and getting decent performance?