Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Getting started with myDDO: A user guide

I'm playing around with myDDO and am starting to have some fun. it is most definitely NOT a very intuitive interface. Took me a long time to figure out how to write a blog entry, and then took me another full day to realize no one would be able to see it unless I added the Journal widget back to my page. I'd like to share the results of my exploration and see if I can save everyone else some of the pain.

This is very much a work in progress. Please feel encouraged to fold, spindle and mutilate this in the interest of getting it right. I would love additional entries if anyone is interested.

All walkthroughs assume you are already logged in. Goto my.ddo.com. Login using your forum name and password.

Walkthroughs:

Widget Details:
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 09-28-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Default Making Characters Anonymous or Public

Everyone's characters are available for everyone to see in detail. For example, consider my main, Mawry Haversack. The information is not 100% up-to-date but it is pretty close, and pretty exhaustive, and includes the character guild

Anonymous really isn't
    By default, characters are Anonymous. This does not mean private; all of your characters can be examined by anyone who knows the character's name and server. Anonymous means that the character is not linked to the owning player.

Go back the Mawry link, and note that the left column of the page includes a link to my personal profile. Mawry is set to Public. Now examine the character sheet for my assassin Child of Murder. No player is named, and there is no player link. Child is set to Anonymous.

In this walkthrough we will manage the Anonymous vs Public settings for each character.

Step 1: select My Profile
    Once logged in, you have a menu in the top right of your page that SHOULD include the My Profile link.

Turbine has confirmed a bug where some users do not have a My Profile link. There is another possibly-related bug involving users with punctuation in their forum names. I don't know of a workaround, if you don't have My Profile you are temporarily blocked. Go play the game, you are done here!

Step 2: select My Characters

The User Options menu is in the left column of your profile page.
    Step 3: set anonymous/public

Don't forget to save your changes.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 09-22-2009 at 01:49 AM.

Default Designating your Main character

When you first login to myDDO you are presented with your personal profile. Unless you change your profile settings, this includes a list of your characters, with one character arbitrarily chosen as the "Main" character, meaning it is displayed at the top of the list and in greater detail.

Step 1: Open the Character List

Locate and clck the link "View Full List", in the lower right corner of the character list widget.
    Step 2: Identify your Main

You can only have one Main regardless of how many characters you may have on however many servers.
    Step 3: Set Main

Designate the Main by clicking the tiny chevron button to the left of the character name. In the detail above:
    1. This character is Anonymous - the chevron is grey
    2. This character is Public - the chevron is gold
    3. This character is currently set as your Main

Note that your Main must be public, but you cannot change public/anonymous from this page. This walkthrough describes how to change public/anonymous settings.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 09-22-2009 at 01:50 AM.

Default Create a Custom Avatar

Unlike the DDO forums, your myDDO profiles may include custom avatars.

Step 1: Create an image containing two copies of your avatar

I chose this for the basis of my guild avatar, resized and balanced. But anything could be used, even something you've drawn yourself, as long as it can be converted to GIF, JPG or PNG.

I cut out the main avatar which has to be 150x150

I also copied and cut out a 50x50 chunk to use as the guild avatar thumbnail. The thumbnail does not have to match the main avatar.

I used Paint to paste the two avatar images back onto an otherwise blank 400x400 black image.

There are probably eleventy-hundred different tools and methods you can use to create an image. The rules:
    • One must be 150x150
    • One must be 50x50
    • They must both be imbedded on one larger image
    • Turbine recommends 500x500 size for the larger image, but this does not seem to be rigid, I've worked successfully with 400x300.
    Step 2: Upload the prepared image

Select the My Profile link. If you are customizing your guild avatar, instead select Guild Profile.

Select Change Avatar from the User Options menu in the left column of your profile page.

Browse to your combined avatar image and click Upload Photo.
    Step 3: Choose the portions of your image to pull out and use as avatars (cropping)

You will be presented with your large combined image, and a grey 50x50 cropping box. Use your mouse to position the cropping box over your thumbnail avatar. Notice that the crop preview updates in real time, showing exactly what the current crop selection will look like.

Once you are happy with the cropping, click Crop and Continue

Repeat the cropping process for your larger avatar.
    Things that may go wrong
    If you change your avatar more than once, there seem to be occasonial glitches in getting the website to accept a new custom avatar image over an existing custom avatar image.

Before trying anything rash, refresh your browser to make sure you are not displaying the avatar out of your browser cache. If that doesn't work:
    • Delete the current custom avatar. The delete command is on the same Custom Avatar widget as the "Upload Photo" feature we used in step 2 above
    • Close all myDDO browsers (if in doubt, close them all)
    • Navigate back to the Custom Avatar widget and insure it is set back to the Turbine defaults
    • Reload the new custom avatar all over again
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 09-22-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Default Customizing your profile with Widgets

Turbine has acquired a really powerful portal development tool. There is a lot one can do here, even though Turbine has also gone to a lot of effort to lock us down into a common look-and-feel.

Step 1: Login to My Administration

Select the My Admin link. If you are customizing your guild profile, instead select Guild Admin.

From the dashboard area on the left of the admin form, locate and click Widgets. ,If you do not see a Widgets button, it may be hidden under Appearance.

I have not yet figured out what most of the other buttons do. I can speculate, and I have, but those that I can guess at seem to have reasonable defaults. The themes button does not work - well to be specific, the button works but there are no other themes available.
    Understand column zones

Imagine your profile broken up into three vertical zones like the ones shown above. The right-most column is reserved by Turbine, one would assume for ad space, particularly as there is an ad in it right now . The other two zones, named "Left", and "Center", are available for your use.

The only question: what widgets are you going to put in them?
    Adding or removing widgets from a zone

• Select the column you want to change by selecting it in the Current Widgets dropdown
    • Click Show to cause a page update
    • To add a widget, find it in the Available Widgets list and click on it's Add link
    • To remove a widget, find it in the Current Widgets list and click on it's Edit link. This will open up a widget editing area that includes a Remove button
    • When done changing the column, click the Save Changes button
    If you cannot find the widget you want

Make certain you have Show All selected in the Available Widgets dropdown.

Also, guild profiles and player profiles have different widget lists.
    Widget Summary
    Code:
    ===============|=======|========|==========
     Widget          Guild   Player   Column   
    ===============|=======|========|==========
    Character List |       |    X   |  Left
    Character Log  |       |    X   |  Left
    Event Calendar |   X   |        |  Either
    Friends        |       |    X   |  Left
    Gallery        |   X   |    X   |  Either
    Journal        |   X   |    X   |  Center
    Player Profile |       |    X   |  Center
    RSS            |   X   |    X   |  Either 
    Text           |   X   |    X   |  Either
    WP Wall        |   X   |    X   |  Left
    Some widgets are only available to players, some are only for guilds, but most are available to all.

The system will let you assign most widgets to either column, and most widgets work equally well either way. But some are clearly designed to be in one column or the other. And one (the WP Wall) cannot be removed from the left column at all.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 10-01-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Default Setting up the built-in guestbook

The guestbook page is a running tally of all comments that have been entered in the blog wall. Once set up, it updates any new comments from the WP Wall widget automatically.

Step 1: Login to My Administration

Select the My Admin link.

From the dashboard area on the left of the admin form, locate and click Widgets. ,If you do not see a Widgets button, it may be hidden under Appearance.
    Step 2: Navigate to advanced WP Wall widget settings

Locate the WP Wall settings control and select the Edit link.

Select the "WP Wall Options" link.
    Step 3: Create the guestbook page

Once the advanced WP Wall settings are open:
    1. Find and select the checkbox labeled "Show 'All ' Link"
    2. Checking the box adds a link to your WP Wall that takes users to your guestbook
    3. Click the Update Options button to save your changes
    4. Find and select the "Go There" link

The Go There link is buried at the end of a long sentence that doubles as the checkbox label: "Show 'All' Link - Shows the link to your wall guestbook page. You need to publish your Wall page (go there)."
    Step 4: Configure guestbook page

This form allows entry of a title and page header information.
    Step 5: Accessing the guestbook page

Last edited by geoffhanna; 09-25-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Default Writing in the journal

The journal is really the whole reason you've created a blog. This is the meat on the myDDO bones. But it is strangely and unexpectedly difficult to use.

[edit: Thanks to Emili for pointing out the (much easier) way to access the blog in step 2]

Prerequisite: make sure you have a Journal widget displayed on your page

The system will let you remove all trace of your journal from your page. You can still add new journal entries, but you won't be able to view them. It can be quite frustrating.
    Step 1: Login to Administration

Select the My Admin link.
    Step 2: Open blank journal editing
    If you are posting raw HTML, or just want to create a blog stub that you will fill out later, skip this step and instead use step 3.

The New Post dropdown is in the extreme upper right of the Admin dashboard. Click New Post.
    Step 3: Use QuickPress to paste entry stub or HTML
    Skip this step and use step 2 instead if you simply want to open a blank journal entry.

The QuickPress journal entry control is located in the upper right of the Admin dashboard. It is not well-suited as an authoring tool. You could write your post using other software and then paste it into myDDO using this control. But if you are more like me and actually write your post on the website directly, you will find this tool to be wholly inadequate.

But regardless.

Select the Edit Post link.
    Step 4: blog away

The editing controls are quite full-featured. I haven't yet figured out how to set the font, but every other formatting change I've wanted is available. Note that you can toggle to HTML view if that is easier for you, or if you've created your post in an HTML editor and need a way to paste in raw HTML.

I haven't spent much time in the HTML view (although I can set fonts in html ) and cannot promise that all HTML tags are supported.
    Step 5: choose the author

By default, you are the post author. If you open the dropdown in the "Post As..." control, you will see all of your characters listed as possible authors as well as "Myself".
    • If you post as yourself, the post will display on your main blog page only
    • If you post as a character, the post will display on you main blog page and also on that specific character sheet.

[EDIT] This feature has been broken for the last several months. As of this edit (Oct 2011) it is not possible to post as one of your characters

Step 6: categorize the journal entry

Select one or more categories that describe the entry, or when appropriate, create a new one.

The category "Uncategorized" will allow users to select all of your blog entries. Make sure to assign all of your entries to "Uncategorized" in addition to whatever categories make sense.

Be judicious in your use of categories. They become part of your profile page, simplifying choices and directing readers to specific topics. If you have too many, they become less useful.
    Step 7: write a post excerpt

Journal excerpts are used to make it easier for readers to find an article that interests them. For instance, a list of articles may be described in excerpt only, and the reader determines which entries are worth opening in full view. Excerpts are also used as the "abstract" describing an article in an RSS or Atom news feed.

Interestingly, I have not yet found a way to view excerpts in myDDO. I am assuming that they will be implemented eventually, and I won't want to go back later and fill them in. So I fill them out now and just have faith that they will prove useful someday. Usually there is a sentence or two that stands out in some way and I just copy it in as the excerpt.

[EDIT] The new RSS feed button shows your posts in excerpt form
    Step 8: assign tags

Much like the excerpt, a tag cloud is a tool for readers, not authors, as it helps them navigate all of your posts to find those that are most appropriate or appealing.

Also much like excerpts, myDDO has not yet implemented a way to search for posts by tag (or perhaps I have not yet stumbled across it) so one must apply tags in the faith that they will eventually be useful. On the plus side, the tag cloud itself is somewhat interesting to examine as it provides impartial feedback showing where you are placing the emphasis of your blog.

You may assgn as many tags as is appropriate, adding new ones as needed. Like Categories, some care should be taken to re-use existing tags before creating new ones.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 10-18-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Default Adding an event to the guild calendar

The guild event calendar is pretty full-featured. Is it robust enough that you can stop paying GuildUniverse and port your guild portal here? Well, no. There does not seem to be a way to make an event recurring. Want to add a weekly raid? Prepare to enter it every week.

But what it does, it does pretty well.

Step 1: Make sure you have an Event Calendar Widget

The calendar menu will not behave properly unless you have added a calendar widget to the guild page. This walkthrough explains how to add widgets to a profile.
    Step 2: Select Guild Profile

Once logged in, you have a menu in the top right of your page that will include the Guild Profile link. You have to navigate to your guild page to unlock this menu option.
    Step 3: Locate and Open the Calendar Menu

The Calendar menu is in the lower left corner of the Guild Admin page. Note that you must have an Event Calendar widget on your guild page or the the calendar menu commands will not appear.

1. Opens and closes menu
    2. Displays calendar in monthly summary view
    3. Calendar behavior and appearance settings
    4. Displays event entry form

This is the calendar in monthly summary view. I am not able to find a way to share this view with your guildies, it is apparently only available while performing administration.
    Step 4: From the Calendar menu, locate and select Add Event

The event data entry form opens as shown above. Note the lack of any way to set event recurrance.

When done, click the "Add Event" button.
    Step 5: Fill in the event details

The monthly calendar display reappears, updated with your newly added event.
    Editing and deleting the event

• To change or delete an event, first click the Calendar command to open the calendar monthly summary display.
    • To edit the event, double click it. This reopens the event data entry form.
    • To delete the event, locate and click the tiny red x on the event itself.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 09-24-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Default Widget Details: Character List, Character Log, Event Calendar

Character List Widget

This widget is available for player profiles only. It is only suitable for placement in the left column. There is a version of this widget on the guild profile (it is titled Guild Roster and uses the guild leader as the Main character) but it cannot be removed or altered.

The widget displays your characters in tabular summary format and highlights one of them as your "main".

Note that the guild profile includes a version of this widget, but it is permanently attached to the profile and cannot be removed.

The admin form will let you assign the widget to the center column, but it doen't use the space properly and you lose the main character detail.

There are no settings. You can have the widget, or you can remove it.
    Character Log Widget

This widget is available for player profiles only. It is only suitable for placement in the left column.

The widget shows all of your character activity.
    This is the myDDO widget that private people seem to find the most creepy. And it kind of is, in a creepy-yet-powerful sort of way. While one may delete the widget from public view on your player page, this widget appears on your character sheet too and cannot be removed.

If the fact that Exterminate completed The Archibishop's Daughter at 3:07 AM is going to get you in trouble, too bad, get used to it.

Here is the widget when placed in the left column, side-by-side with a view of the widget when placed in the center column. Yes, the system will let you put it in the center. Don't do it

Expanding the widget gives a very robust view into your character and activity. I wonder how far back Turbine will let history accumulate?

There are no settings, you either have the widget or you don't.
    Event Calendar Widget

This widget is available for guild profiles only. It is suitable for placement in either column.

The calendar widget highlights days that contain an event.

This image shows the calendar as a left column display, and also as a center column display. Note the pop-up detail when mouse-hovering over an event.

Interestingly, you cannot enter or change events from this view. A separate walkthrough describes how to add an event to the calendar.

There are no settings, you either have the widget or you don't.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 09-24-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Default Widget Details: Friends, Gallery, Journal

Friends Widget
    This widget is available for player profiles only. It is suitable for placement in either the left or center column.

The widget displays your friends in icon thumbnail view. It allows differentiaton between "favorite" and just regular friends.

Although the widget works fine when placed in either column, you may only choose your favorite friends when the widget is in the left column.

Clicking "Set Favorites" opens this view where you can BFF or un-BFF your blogging friends.

There are no settings for this widget. It is either on, or not.
    Gallery Widget
    This widget is available for player and guild profiles. It is suitable for placement in either the left or center column.

The gallery display thumbnails of pictures you (or others) have uploaded. Selecting a thumbnail opens the image in full-sized view, along with a previous/next control that acts like a slideshow of the entire gallery.

A straightforward yet lovely way to upload and share images. The gallery is equally attractive whether added to the left or center columns. Both methods are illustrated above. Note that the link to Upload Images seems to only appear when the widget is sited in the center column.

There is a seperate menu at the bottom of the widgets admin page that has the sole purpose of allowing you to specify the number of galleries.

One may change the size or number of thumbnails, and may do so seperately for each gallery. But like all of the other profile settings, the defaults are reasonable.

Note: there is a 10mb limit, but I cannot tell if that is per gallery or (more likely) per profile.
    Journal Widget
    This widget is available for player and guild profiles. It is suitable for placement only in the center column.

The widget displays the text (and other entries) you have written into your journal, and allows public users to enter public comments.
    The journal contains all of your blog posts; it is really the "meat" of the entire blog. This section deals only with the usage of the journal widget. The basic mechanics of writing in your journal are covered in a seperate walkthough, elsewhere in this guide.

This guide does not attempt to explain how to write a good blog

Among the many reasons I do not try explaining how to write a good blog: I haven't figured it out yet myself.

This is the basic journal when displayed in the center column. Additional controls (shown below) are supplied below the main textbox and allow users to respond with comments.

This is the response control. In this picture, the journal widget has been sited in the left column, resulting in an unattractive overflow. The system will let you put the widget in the left column: don't do it.

There are no settings for the journal widget. It is on or it is not.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 09-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Default Widget Details: Player Profile

Player Profile Widget
    This widget is available for player profiles only. It is only suitable for placement in the center column.

The profile is always this wide regardless of column. If you site it in the left column, it weirdly and unattractively overwrites portions of the center column. Yes, you can do it. Don't

There are no widget settings. It is either on, or not. There are ways to change the informaton it contains however, as we shall see.
    Blog Edit Options ... doesn't

It is possible (likely?) that I am missing something, but it seems that the entire "Blog Edit Options" button is flawed. For one thing, it does not edit your "blog" it only edits the information in your player profile. For another thing, it does not seem to work. One may change the controls in the profile so that they appear to be in an Edit mode, even showing Save and Cancel buttons. But changes don't actually save.

If someone figures this out, please let me know so I can update this section. But as near as I can tell the only way to change profile information is by using My Profile. We'll cover that next.
    Step 1: Go to My Profile

Select the My Profile link.
    Step 2: Edit profile

Select "Edit" from the User Options menu in the left column of your profile page.
    Step 3: Differing types of information

The menu at the top of this form allows you to navigate between Basic, Contact, and Gaming informaton entry pages. Click the type of information you wish to change.

Don't forget to save any changes you make before moving on to the rest of your profile
    Contact Information

Personally, I don't like publishing this kind of information, but if you disagree, hey more power to ya Perhaps there is a way to restrict who is allowed to see your contact information, but if such a setting exists, I have not yet found it.
    Gameplay Information

There should be categories for Merciless Zerging and Mocking Gimps. And Noobs.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 09-24-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Default Widget Details: RSS, Text, WP Wall

RSS Widget
    This widget is available for player and guild profiles. It is suitable for placement in either the left or center column.

The widget allows you to subscribe to RSS or Atom feeds and display them on your blog.

This one requires a valid RSS or Atom feed URL, but it is not good at telling you when you have entered something incorrectly. There is no error message, but your widget won't work.

This procedure is clunky but worked for me:
    1. Open the RSS settings window by clicking Edit (You must add the RSS to a column before you get an Edit button)
    2. Enter the URL
    3. Press Done to close the settings window
    4. Press Save Changes to commit your changes. This also causes the RSS widget to attempt to connect to the entered RSS feed
    5. Open the RSS settings window again. If your URL is still there, then you entered it correctly. If you entered an invalid URL you will see "Error: could not find an RSS or ATOM feed at that URL".

Unfortunately the error message obliterates the url - you will have to enter it again from scratch.

A functioning RSS feed. There should be a way to turn down the text size. Let me know if you find one .
    Text Widget

This widget allows you to create static text (or allegedly html) and place it on your blog.

Pretty straightforward. A place you may add text. It appears wider when applied to the Center column.

You may enter text in the title box and additional text in the body. You may have more than one text widget on your profile, but there is some kind of bug and all of the textboxes will contain the exact same informaton as your first textbox.

Interesting note: the description of this widget implies that you can imbed HTML in the body of the widget. I haven't tried this out yet.

[edit 5/10/2010] Whatever I was smoking the night I wrote this has apparently passed; I now know that you may have more than one text box and put whatever you want into each box. And imbedded HTML works fine.
    WP Wall Widget

This widget is available for player and guild profiles. It can only be placed in the left column, and also cannot be removed.

This widget allows you and your visitors to enter text and have it immediately displayed without moderation, and without refreshing the page.
    The WP Wall insists on being placed in the left column of your blog. If you delete it, it magically reappears as soon as you click "Save Changes". You may delete it temporarily in order to reorder your widgets in the left column.

Comments added to your wall are also automatically added to your guestbook. Learn how to set up your guestbook here.

You may change the Wall title from this simple settings control, or click WP Wall Options for more configuration settings.

This form allows setting the wall title, the text that the user clicks to enter a comment, and several related behavior options. As with other myDDO configuration pages, the defaults here are sensible and can be safely left as-is.

The same wall but with title and comment text changed.
    Last edited by geoffhanna; 05-11-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Good Info, thanks!!
    D&D Vault Site Manager (retired)
    http://dndvault.ign.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    If a tree falls alone in the forest, we still get to hear about it on the forums.

I've been working on mine for a few minutes off an on ... one thing I'm not sure of is I created and updated my journal entry and it never shows on the My.DDO main page... How do things get listed as new or edited there?

Be doing inline XHTML ... messed around with some java scripting , I had some music playing but took that out ... do not be wishing to annoy people. I have some drop menus off the "My Gallery" menu under the "Page" menu ... I've put up separate Galleries for DDO, Personal Photos and phots of my toys (guitars)... You'd never see any of it though as http://my.ddo.com/emili/ with published journals or what or not never shows up on the new posts page.

Last edited by Emili; 09-11-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    A Baker's dozen in the Prophets of the New Republic and Fallen Heroes.
    Abaigeal(TrBd25), Ailiae(TrDrd2), Ambyre(Rgr25), Amilia(Pl20), Einin(TrRgr25), Emili(TrFgt25), Heathier(TrClc22), Kynah(TrMnk25), Meallach(Brb25), Misbehaven(TrArt22), Myara(Rog22), Rosewood(TrBd25) and Sgail(TrWiz20) little somethings with flavour 'n favour

Make sure you've added the Journal widget to the page where you expected to see the blog entry.

Talking

Great guide - adding to my links in My.DDO
    ~Requeim ~ Aviale ~ Tomein ~ Twillee ~ Vizzini
    Officer of Fallen Heroes
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper
    <+Keeper> Monks make the best guacamole..

Really a great job.

Thank you for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!
    (I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

Community Member

jeeez .... what a loadfull :-)
    anyways nice job discriping it all .... tough i have one question ...
    the characters info ... how often is it updated?

i mean do I have to do something specific ?
    my cleric are 5on myddo, rogue 1
    but in the game they are 6 & 8 ...

why dosen't it update ?
    and yes i did look through the manual but really missed info if there ?

Hi Julelven

There seems to be something stuck at Turbine, no characters have updated since 10/22/2009.

Maybe if we could smack the top of their building with a giant hammer it would loosen up the character updates.

2014 DDO Players Council

This might be why I still have no characters on the site

Keeps telling me that no game account is linked to this profile
    Don't let common sense stop you...
    Qualified Devil's Advocate ` Refugee Boldrei '06 / Keeper '09

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast