Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445 LastLast

Thread: Evoker FvS

I currently have a melee Warforged FVS and wanted to TR into an evocation spec for a change of pace. I have a ton of good docents and greatswords so really dont want to change race. That being said, any thing different from the original post that I should take?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Ideally, Improved Cursespewing of Improved Shattermantle...but I've never actually seen both of those mods on the same weapon. Likely one of them will need to be not "Improved". Given the option, I'd take Cursespewing of Improved Shattermantle...the increase in the DC on Improved Cursespewing isn't all that much, where Shattermantle gives no save.

Plus, I find that spell resistance blocks my instakills more often than saves do.
    Thx!!

Is the 18fvs/1wiz/1monk h-elf pally dilettante (pl 3xwiz,3xsorc,3xfvs,completionist) in ocean stance wielding 2 alchemical kamas the best caster around?
    Pls answer this stupid question : p considering all the gears to the max

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by korsat View Post
    Is the 18fvs/1wiz/1monk h-elf pally dilettante (pl 3xwiz,3xsorc,3xfvs,completionist) in ocean stance wielding 2 alchemical kamas the best caster around?
    Highest divine DCs maybe, but just 1 lvl9 spell? For me mass heal or energy drain or implosion would be kind an impossible choice. And why the wiz level, for an extra feat? Not worth it IMHO.
    Con is not a dump stat, but reading comprehension is not a dump skill!

I dont have alts, just mules. Find me as Darivian on Thelanis.

Losing 2 spell pen, capstone, 10 dr and 2 level 9 spells to gain 1 dc and some saves (which should already be very good on a fvs), it can work but it's hardly 'better' as such.
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

Toons: Weirdly || Inbound || Samma || Ocular || Annoyed || Stinkpelt of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

1 monk and 1 wizard means 2 feats (thoughness and spell focus) so on this build feats are: max, empower, quicken, extended, heighten, wiz past life, thoughness, sf:evo, gsf:evo(total of 9). The only way I see to get all these feats. Can drop extended probably and go 19/1monk with the same feats and gain +1 spell penetration.
    Alternative is to go 20 pure human with -5 to saves (no pally dilettante) and have only -1 dc.

On a pure we loose 2 dc not 1 because we cannot get both gsf:evo and ocean stance unless we go 20 pure human with -5 to saves (no pally dilettante) and have only -1 dc.

Agree or I'm missing other possibilities?

Wizard also gives the 1st force line (if I'm right, not totaly sure about this).

I don't care about spell penetration if I have 3xwiz pl and 3xfvs pl : p

On spells slots you are right....it's not good to drop energy drain and mass heal. Obv I want to have implosion!

Wizard Force Manipulation I is at level 2.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Community Member

1 monk and 1 wizard means 2 feats (thoughness and spell focus) so on this build feats are: max, empower, quicken, extended, heighten, wiz past life, thoughness, sf:evo, gsf:evo(total of 9). The only way I see to get all these feats. Can drop extended probably and go 19/1monk with the same feats and gain +1 spell penetration.
    Alternative is to go 20 pure human with -5 to saves (no pally dilettante) and have only -1 dc.

On a pure we loose 2 dc not 1 because we cannot get both gsf:evo and ocean stance unless we go 20 pure human with -5 to saves (no pally dilettante) and have only -1 dc.

Agree or I'm missing other possibilities?

Wizard also gives the 1st force line (if I'm right, not totaly sure about this).

I don't care about spell penetration if I have 3xwiz pl and 3xfvs pl : p

On spells slots you are right....it's not good to drop energy drain and mass heal. Obv I want to have implosion!
    Extend is fairly useless at cap.
    Evo DCs are a non-issue (I would say in general, but meh) with all those past lives, Id rather take even more spell pen and kick some epic drow butt. You could get 41 spell pen with both feats, 42 with a bard song (another +3 for implosion with an epic chrono set). Perfectly geared, without any SF feats, you can get evo DCs to 10 (base) + 9 (spell lvl) + 2 (item) + 1 (wiz PL) + 3 (sorc PLs) + 19 (wisdom, max I can figure out without monk and store pots) + 2 (AoV) = 46, 47 with a spellsinger. The number of mobs that will save against your implosions on anything but a 20 is so miniscule that taking 2 feats to get +2 to that is so not worth it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatneil View Post
    Wizard Force Manipulation I is at level 2.
    Its at level 2, but thats character level. Prerequisite is just wizard lvl1. Force manipulation is weird that way. But again, losing spell pen and perhaps more importantly, the incredibly overpowered FvS capstone is not worth the extra bit of BB damage.

Quote Originally Posted by good_ole_corwin View Post
    Extend is fairly useless at cap.
    Evo DCs are a non-issue (I would say in general, but meh) with all those past lives, Id rather take even more spell pen and kick some epic drow butt. You could get 41 spell pen with both feats, 42 with a bard song (another +3 for implosion with an epic chrono set). Perfectly geared, without any SF feats, you can get evo DCs to 10 (base) + 9 (spell lvl) + 2 (item) + 1 (wiz PL) + 3 (sorc PLs) + 19 (wisdom, max I can figure out without monk and store pots) + 2 (AoV) = 46, 47 with a spellsinger. The number of mobs that will save against your implosions on anything but a 20 is so miniscule that taking 2 feats to get +2 to that is so not worth it.
    You convinced me, how much can a pure evoker be efficient with just 3xwiz past life(what I actually have)?which feats would you get?h-elf still a good choice? (planning some fvs lifes but if this will not be good enough I'll go soul survivor I think, already have full echrono set and some nice gear)

ty for the infos

But again, losing spell pen and perhaps more importantly, the incredibly overpowered FvS capstone is not worth the extra bit of BB damage.
    Force line doesn't stack with Angel of Vengeance, so you don't get any extra BB damage.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

As far as splashed divines go, taking one level of wizard is only worth it on a Clonk (18/1/1 or 17/2/1). On a FvS, moving away from the capstone has much more serious consequences and is not recommended, especially on an Evoker.

Quote Originally Posted by yynderjohn View Post
    I currently have a melee Warforged FVS and wanted to TR into an evocation spec for a change of pace. I have a ton of good docents and greatswords so really dont want to change race. That being said, any thing different from the original post that I should take?
    Going warforged is, well, sub-optimal. Not only do you lose +1 DC over human or helf, you're hurting your build point spread in the beginning. No manner of feats or enhancements can make up for your lack of that +1, as a one point difference in DCs is A Big Deal for any caster.

That said, if you're set on going Warforged simply because of docents, realize there's not that many good choices in armor for FvS anyway, nothing like the Diabolist's Robe/Docent for Wizzies anyway. Regardless, you can probably make an okay melee/caster hybrid as a WF evoker, but you'll feel that missing DC at one point or another in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by LafoMamone View Post
    As far as splashed divines go, taking one level of wizard is only worth it on a Clonk (18/1/1 or 17/2/1). On a FvS, moving away from the capstone has much more serious consequences and is not recommended, especially on an Evoker.
    Amen to that. At least in the current state of the game, if you want to splash as a divine, go Cleric for your own peace of mind.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas

Human > Helf for the additional feat. Without it, you can't max out both Necromancy and Evocation DCs. But that's really discussion for a different thread since it's a different build compared to the OP.
    Kobeyashi | Hamada | Ying

The Favored Soul capstone is neat, but very easy to live without. I played with the capstone for a year, then another year without it. You don't really miss it.

It is dependent on your build and playstyle, I suppose. Although a splashed FvS is also about losing more than just the capstone. The class is simply not very multiclass-flexible for evoker-style builds.

It is dependent on your build and playstyle, I suppose. Although a splashed FvS is also about losing more than just the capstone. The class is simply not very multiclass-flexible for evoker-style builds.
    I don't recommend FvS with splashes for new and/or undergeared players. The 18/1/1 split mentioned requires significant investment in many TRs and gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Force line doesn't stack with Angel of Vengeance, so you don't get any extra BB damage.
    Is that conjecture or have you tested it?

I could have sworn it stacked when I did a TR life with a completionist friend a few months ago who splashed Artificer on his FvS past life for trap skills and the 20% damage boost to BB.

There was an Artificer thread on the subject where it had been tested.

I'm still 7 favor from Arti unlock myself...and I wouldn't splash a divine anyway.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post

I could have sworn it stacked when I did a TR life with a completionist friend a few months ago who splashed Artificer on his FvS past life for trap skills and the 20% damage boost to BB.
    I had seen another thread discussing this and someone there had tested it by splashing one wiz on a FvS.

Same results, it didn't stack because the AOV Pre gave the same type of bonus as the Wiz force enhancement, only higher.

Edit: I am having trouble finding that thread. Pretty sure there was a dev comment confirming the two enhancements were of the same type, thus non-stacking.

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445 LastLast