Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Community Member FlameofAngband's Avatar

Thumbs up

Well done. +1 rep. You play on Thelanis eh?

*EDIT* Doh, need to spread the rep.
    Meredeath, Asherion, Xullthrae-- Thelanis Server
    www.sparkstudios.deviantart.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Robi3.0 View Post
    P.S. VIP is not the only way to go some people like the idea of owning a game over renting it.

Community Member Artis_Resistance's Avatar

Heh, I gave him +1 rep as well.

My opinion on packs

The Catacomb-250-great story, mostly undead, decent xp for 2-4 range, a few decent rewards(especially if buying deleras)
    Tangleroot Gorge-550-great named items from reward, good xp for 4-6 range, decent time investment(with optionals), decent storyline, easy to join group, benefit of house Phiarlan favor rewards
    Shan-to-Kor-250-ok storyline, moderate rewards, easy to join group, coin lord favor for inventory space
    Three Barrel Cove-650-nice variety of quests and comes with explorer zone, good favor for Rogues to buy better tools
    The Necropolis part 1-250-no comment
    Sarrowdusk Island-400-a few decent rewards, good story, good xp for 8-10 range, good favor for anyone who uses ranged, decent time investment
    Devil Assualt-150-no comment
    Delera’s Tomb-750-great story, good time investment, great xp for 6-8 range, all undead, access to a few other higher end quests, very easy to join group
    Sharn Syndicate-350-good story, good rewards
    The Devils of Shavarath-650-no comment
    The Demon Sands-850-good story, explorer zone and raid access
    The Necropolis part 2-350-no comment
    The Ruins of Gainthold-995-great xp for 12-14 range, explorer zone and raid access, good story, Dragons, great time investment, very easy to join groups, good favor reward
    The Ruins of Thernal-550-no comment
    The Necropolis part 3-350-no comment
    The Vail of Twilight-700-great xp for 14-16 range, great time investment if making crafting raid items, great rewards from crafting, exploer and raid access
    The Necropolis part 4-850-no comment
    The Restless Isles-600-no comment
    Reaver’s Reach-350-no comment
    The Vault of Night-800-great xp for 10-12 range, great story, great favor reward, good time investment, raid access

If I was FTP I would buy the following, note I went a bit higher on the levels doing the area due to not familiar with quests or twinked.:
    Levels 2-4 Catacombs
    Levels 4-6 Tangleroot Gorge
    Levels 6-8 Deleras
    Levels 8-10 Sorrowdusk Isle
    Levels 10-12 The Vault of Night
    Levels 12-14 Ruins of Gianthold
    Levels 14-16 The Vale of Twilight
    These packs would allow you to hit level 20, gain access to heavily played quests, get a feel for the game, access 5 raids(Velah, Reaver, Shroud, Hound, Vision), play some of the best storylines in the game, and give you the option to grind some nice gear.
    Total price is 250+550+750+400+800+995+700=4445. Possible to reroll quite a few times to unlock, but I would think spending a one time shot of $40 or so dollars with some minor grinding to be worth it. As you rolled new characters, you could earn TP to buy new slots. $40 is around the cost of a new game with simliar content anyway. This should allow 1750+ favor, I don't have the time to research it right now.

Xyfiel, I'm almost level 2. Should I still use up TPs to buy the Catacombs? I'm still on "Newb Island."

Also, +1 rep, good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Artis_Resistance View Post
    Xyfiel, I'm almost level 2. Should I still use up TPs to buy the Catacombs? I'm still on "Newb Island."

Also, +1 rep, good sir.
    I personally would put off buying content until you have reach a point where you feel you have exhausted quests for your level or have become bored with your quest options.

The higher the level you reach before buying content the more likely it will be that you will purchase content that you will run repeatedly.
    there's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans on seeing tomorrow then there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

I personally would put off buying content until you have reach a point where you feel you have exhausted quests for your level or have become bored with your quest options.

The higher the level you reach before buying content the more likely it will be that you will purchase content that you will run repeatedly.
    True, but I want enough Favor to be able to run such content when/if I downgrade.

True, but I want enough Favor to be able to run such content when/if I downgrade.
    Well if favor is what you are after then there will most defiantly be Adventure Packs that are better then others for example Catacombs has 75 total favor while Tangleroot 90, but you have to also take into account that Tangleroot cost over twice as many TP as Catacombs. This makes Catacombs the better purchase for someone who wants the most favor for the least amount of TP.

All in all once I get my adventure pack break downs posted you will be able to use that information to make an informed decision.
    there's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans on seeing tomorrow then there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

Well if favor is what you are after then there will most defiantly be Adventure Packs that are better then others for example Catacombs has 75 total favor while Tangleroot 90, but you have to also take into account that Tangleroot cost over twice as many TP as Catacombs. This makes Catacombs the better purchase for someone who wants the most favor for the least amount of TP.

All in all once I get my adventure pack break downs posted you will be able to use that information to make an informed decision.
    So, use my TP to buy Catacombs... or spend cash on a VIP for a month. I'm really confused about all this.

Community Member

Have you considered doing a guide to level 20 for free players, with emphasis on the progression of adventure packs bought based on the information you have compiled?

Red face

Looks like you missed Depths of Discord and Depths of Doom in your quest list.
    P.S. VIP is not the only way to go some people like the idea of owning a game over renting it.

My responses inside the quote in italics:
    Edit: As requested, my responses have been removed from the quote block. They are in bold italics.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyfiel View Post
    My opinion on packs
    The Catacomb-250-great story, mostly undead, decent xp for 2-4 range, a few decent rewards(especially if buying deleras) While it has a great story, this quest chain just isn't much fun, IMO. There are significantly better quests for XP that are more popular with other PUG players too (House D Depths for free-to-play, Tangleroot and STK for paid)
    Tangleroot Gorge-550-great named items from reward, good xp for 4-6 range, decent time investment(with optionals), decent storyline, easy to join group, benefit of house Phiarlan favor rewards Hard to pass this one up, this is a great quest chain. Has a real D&D feel in that you go into the dungeon to achieve a goal, leave, then are sent back in and have to deal with the reinforcements the dungeon denizens have organised. Remains fun the 20th time you run it. Highly, highly recommended.
    Shan-to-Kor-250-ok storyline, moderate rewards, easy to join group, coin lord favor for inventory space This quest chain carries my recommendation too, largely because the first time you run it, it looks amazing. The underground cavern system this is set in is enormous, and unlike anything else you'll see for some levels (Tear of Dhakaan, at level 7, being the next similar quest). Recommended.
    Three Barrel Cove-650-nice variety of quests and comes with explorer zone, good favor for Rogues to buy better tools Some of these quests are downright tedious or frustrating (the ladder jumping quest comes to mind, this is tedious even on a high level character that pretty much permanently has feather fall, jump and haste). There were few groups for quests there prior to the introduction of F2P, I expect there'll be even less now. Once only for favor, if that, and don't pay for it.
    The Necropolis part 1-250-no comment One good quest (The Bloody Crypt), four generic, dull undead quests. Not recommended except if you want to powerlevel, as there's good XP for some of these quests now.
    Sarrowdusk Island-400-a few decent rewards, good story, good xp for 8-10 range, good favor for anyone who uses ranged, decent time investment I like this one. About ten quests with a large variety of quests too, although the first four are pretty similar to each other. Well worth a try.
    Devil Assualt-150-no comment It's the cheapest for a reason. One quest that takes place in one room. Extremely hard for its level range, poor loot, solid but unspectacular XP. Recommended if and only if you are a hard-core solo player - this quest will help you really hone your soloing skills.
    Delera’s Tomb-750-great story, good time investment, great xp for 6-8 range, all undead, access to a few other higher end quests, very easy to join group I'm sick of this quest chain, but that probably comes from having run it about fifty times as it has the best XP for its level range by far, as well as the game's best end reward (Voice of the Master) and other rewards that remain useful until early endgame (Golden Cartouche, excellent item that is only obsoleted by some of the rarest raid loot). This chain has a perfect difficulty as well, starting easy but becoming fairly challenging at the end. Sadly, it has a total letdown of an end fight. Still recommended
    Sharn Syndicate-350-good story, good rewards I'm yet to run these quests, want to do them sometime, haven't got a credible opinion until then.
    The Devils of Shavarath-650-no comment Excellent endgame quests. Six very varied quests and a raid, quests of very varied difficulties, and the quests have lots of replay value with most having multiple endings. Highly recommended once you are level 17 or 18.
    The Demon Sands-850-good story, explorer zone and raid access There's a LOT of quests out there, including several quite unique quests. This would have a very high recommendation, except that there's just not many people in this area as players that are strong enough to handle the Sands tend to skip straight to Gianthold instead.
    The Necropolis part 2-350-no comment While this includes one of my favorite quests (The Shadow Crypt), I'm in a definite minority here. Most people HATE this chain with a passion, it's even less popular than the Catacombs. Do NOT buy this chain, don't even pay 50 points for it.
    The Ruins of Gainthold-995-great xp for 12-14 range, explorer zone and raid access, good story, Dragons, great time investment, very easy to join groups, good favor reward Almost a mandatory purchase. Ten quests and a raid, including four quite unique quests (Gianthold Tor, Prison of the Planes, The Crucible and Madstone Crater). Buy this chain on reaching level 11 and move to Gianthold, you will find it is a great base for levelling to 14. The Gianthold module was the most popular game update yet for a reason.
    The Ruins of Thernal-550-no comment Haven't run this in ages, don't have very fond memories of it though it has apparently improved since then. Not recommended at 550 points but I might recommend it if it was cheaper.
    The Necropolis part 3-350-no comment One good quest (Cursed Crypt), several ones that make you want to cut yourself (Tomb of the Tormented, though it is kinda fun for the first ten minutes of the first time), and some ridiculously hard ones (for their level)
    The Vail of Twilight-700-great xp for 14-16 range, great time investment if making crafting raid items, great rewards from crafting, exploer and raid access Can't go past this one, the Shroud is a brilliant raid (the first thirty times at least), four of the five other quests are good too. Coalescence Chamber, however, is a stinker.
    The Necropolis part 4-850-no comment I really like this chain. Contains the best explorer zone in the game (Orchard of the Macabre), and several high-level quests with good XP. Fun stuff, great value for 350 points. Harder than Gianthold, although the explorer zone is reasonable for level 10 characters. Plus, exceptionally good loot from one quest (Tattered Tapestries) in the explorer zone.
    The Restless Isles-600-no comment Not really recommended, although it has some stellar loot that is ultra-rare. Just not as much fun as other high level content.
    Reaver’s Reach-350-no comment Hard to get groups for this content, sadly, as the quests are kinda cool the first five times. Worthwhile getting if you have a static group, or are burned out on the other level cap content. The Stealer of Souls quest is awesome but has absolutely horrible loot and flagging mechanics that almost totally ruin it and make it very hard to get a group together.
    The Vault of Night-800-great xp for 10-12 range, great story, great favor reward, good time investment, raid access Not recommended as the raid is extremely tough to do at level, hard to get groups for, and the quests offer very poor XP for time invested unless you have an exceptionally good group. VON3 in particular often ends up as only 11k XP for a 90 minute run in a typical PUG, and that's if you can get a group together at all.

If I was FTP I would buy the following, note I went a bit higher on the levels doing the area due to not familiar with quests or twinked.:
    Levels 2-4 Catacombs I'd go with free stuff here, consider STK if you want to buy something
    Levels 4-6 Tangleroot Gorge Agreed
    Levels 6-8 Deleras Yeah, that's not a bad idea, may be tough to find a group for it at level 8 tho as most people are finished with Delara's prior to that
    Levels 8-10 Sorrowdusk Isle Fine choice
    Levels 10-12 The Vault of Night Go Demon Sands instead IMO. The VON chain are worth running at level 10-12, but it's hard to find a group for them above about level 9. Running them at level 9, however, is ridiculously hard unless you know the quests backwards.
    Levels 12-14 Ruins of Gianthold Agreed
    Levels 14-16 The Vale of Twilight I'd slot in Necro 4 before the Vale. Necro 4 from 14-15.5, then Vale from 15.5-17 or maybe even 18, then it's off to Shavarrath for endgame.
    Last edited by sirgog; 09-08-2009 at 10:43 PM.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Sirgog -

Not gonna quote your whole long speil, but your input there was very very helpful! having Xyfiel say "good" on everything didn't really help weed out the "not worth it" quests.

Do you think you could edit your post to put your add-ons in a different color, to make it easier to read? or take it out of the quote bracket, so its not all italicized?

Xyfiel - Thank you for starting such a comprehensive list of do's and don'ts for Modules! Would you be willing to be a bit more harsh in your criticisms, in order to help weed out some of the "less worth it" modules?

So, use my TP to buy Catacombs... or spend cash on a VIP for a month. I'm really confused about all this.
    Most of the people in my RP guild are Going to be F2p. This is what they are currently doing. First they bought a Game box off of amazon for like 3 bucks. They used the game card to get VIP access for a month. Then we power leveled the **** out other their characters with the goal of reaching 11 or 12 before VIP runs out. Out of the 4 people that are attempting this only one is going to make it, so it isn't easy. Once you get to level 12 you can run Gianthold with relative easy. Once your in Gianthold you go from there to end game. It is never a bad idea to own all the end game content since you will spend most of your time there. Unless of course your play style is one that is more lower level focused.

Buying the Game box is currently the cheapest way to get a premium F2p account. As I had mentioned they sell on Amazon for a few dollars, next would be purchasing the lowest amount of Turbine Points @ $6.99or $11.99, and then subing up for a month @ $14.99.

Everyone should want a Permium account since gives you full access to tells mail, and auction house functions of the game. As well as 2 more character slots which is roughly a $14 value.

In short the advice I have given my friends is to be a VIP for a month get as high in level as you can then go F2p. If grinding favor is your goal I would suggest targeting non F2p content while you are a VIP and grinding it for favor. You wont level quite as fast, but you will have more favor/TP when it is all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameofAngband View Post
    Looks like you missed Depths of Discord and Depths of Doom in your quest list.
    Hmmm.... They were on my hand written list. I must have missed them when I transferred it to the computer. I will fix that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsip View Post
    Have you considered doing a guide to level 20 for free players, with emphasis on the progression of adventure packs bought based on the information you have compiled?
    That is a good Idea. I will defiantly look into it. It will taken a while though.

Update! Added Discord and Doom onto the list. I also noticed that The Lair of Summoning failed to get transferred as well so it was added. Thanks again FlameofAngband
    Last edited by Robi3.0; 09-08-2009 at 08:12 AM.

awesome thread idea and execution.

Thumbs up

Very nice!

So this is what you've been doing with all your time!

We miss you in high level land. Hurry and come back..everyone picks on me when you're not around to pick on
    Retired: Forum slacker

Quote Originally Posted by bartcom2000 View Post
    ...and i do swallow!

Quote Originally Posted by Caine52184 View Post
    Very nice!

So this is what you've been doing with all your time!

We miss you in high level land. Hurry and come back..everyone picks on me when you're not around to pick on
    Pretty much that and of course leveling lowbies in perpetration for my switch to F2p.

Know your Premium Content (Low levels)

Adventure Pack: The Catacombs
    level: 2-4
    Included Quest-Favor
    The Friar’s Niece-6
    Return to the Sanctuary-9
    The Old Archives-9
    Crypt of Gerald Dryden-12
    Setting the Ward: Lower Cathedral-9
    Setting the Ward: The Patriarch’s Crypt-9
    End Game: Marguerite-6
    End Game: The Archbishop’s Fate-6
    Total: Quests-8 Favor-66
    Reason to own: Great favor.

Adventure Pack: Shan-to-Kor
    level: 3-5
    Included Quest-Favor
    The Cloven Jaw Scourge: Blockage-12
    The Cloven Jaw Scourge: Caverns of Shaagh-12
    The Scared Helm-12
    Halls of Shan-to-Kor-12
    Total: Quests-4 Favor- 48

Reason to own: Popular fast leveling quest line, Named item Ring of Feathers drops in the End boss chest

Adventure Pack: Tangleroot Gorge
    level: 3-7
    Included Quest-Favor
    First Strike-9
    The Hobgoblin Captives-9
    Yarkuch’s War Plans-9
    Whisperdoom’s Spawn-9
    The Deadly Package: The Stronghold Key-9
    The Deadly Package: Agent of Darguul-9
    Doom of the Witchdoctor: The way to Zulkash-12
    Doom of the Witchdoctor: Zulkash, Heral-12
    The Last Move: The way toYarkuch-9
    The Last Move: Yarkuch’s Last Stand-12
    Total: Quests-10 Favor-99

Reason to own: Popular Fast leveling quest line, Named loot such as Flesh render goggles and Blade master Braces drop as end rewards, Wilderness area

Adventure Pack: The Sharn Syndicate
    Level: 4
    Included Quests-favor
    The Bookbinder Rescue-6
    Come out and Slay-6
    Repossession-6
    Stand Your Ground-6
    The Stormreaver fresco-6
    Dirty laundry-6
    Total: Quest-6 Favor-36

Reason to own: I will fill this in once I have ran these and have complete data on them. I will do this tonight.

Adventure Pack: The Necropolis part 1
    Level; 5-6
    Included Quests-Favor
    Tomb of the Crimson Heart-12
    Tomb of the Immortal Heart-12
    Tomb of the Burning Heart-9
    Tomb of the sanguine Heart-9
    The Bloody Crypt-18
    Total: Quests-6 Favor-60

Reason to own: You enjoy fighting undead

Adventure Pack: Devil Assault
    Level: 6
    Included Quests-Favor
    Devil Assault
    Total: Quests-1 Favor-?

Reason to own: Fulfilling the urge to own everything.

Adventure Pack: Delera’s Tomb
    Level: 5-11
    Included quests-Favor
    The Mystery of Delera’s Tomb-12
    The Missing Party-18
    Free Delera-15
    Return to Delera’s Tomb-9
    The Thrall of the Necromancer-18
    Valak’s Mausoleum-12
    The Keeper’s Sanctuary-12
    And the Dead Shall Rise-18
    From Beyond the Grave-15
    Total: Quests-9 Favor-129

Reason to own: Popular fast leveling quest line, Named item Voice of the Master drops as end reward for “Delera’s Tomb” quest line, Contains quest of different level ranges

Adventure Pack Three Barrel Cove
    Level: 4-7
    Included Quests-Favor
    The Stones Run Red-12
    Brood of the Flame-9
    Guard Duty-6
    Ghost of a Chance-12
    The Legend of two-toed Tobias-12
    Scoundrel’s Run-12
    The Troglodytes Get-12
    Old Gray Garl-15
    Prove Your Worth-9
    Total: Quests-9 Favor-99

Reason to own: Pirate themed, Wilderness area, Good favor, Great for leveling into mid levels

I got the favor point data for The Sharn Syndicate pack entered. I still need to run all those quest before I form an opinion of them. Still need favor info on Devil Assault pack.
    Last edited by Robi3.0; 09-13-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Awesome! Great stuff. First thread I have bothered to subscribe to. Question: Voice of the Master? Is that new...I'm just back from a year long absence...does it have anything to do with GG?

Awesome! Great stuff. First thread I have bothered to subscribe to. Question: Voice of the Master? Is that new...I'm just back from a year long absence...does it have anything to do with GG?
    Yes, it is a tribute to Gary. It is a trinket that gives a 5% EXP boost to any XP gained in a quest (not explorer areas) and also gives a +1 luck bonus to saves and skills. It also has another effect when combined with a cape that drops at the end of the Threnal series which is a tribute to Dave Arneson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Yes and yes. The voice of the Master is a new item that is a guarenteed item in the reward list for Necromancer's Doom.

It is in honor of Gary Gygax. The icon is a d20, and the item gives you a +1 luck bonus on skills/saves and also grants a 5% experience bonus on quest xp.

[ And now I see all this info was posted earlier... I should refresh more often ]
    You may know me as: Gannot, Gonnet, Gunnet, Ginnet, Gaxxat, Gennot, Gannut, Gxnnxt, Horseface, Izzayhay, Pailmaster, Artifactual, Gynnet and/or Barred. What? I like alts.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast