Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Specific limitations on F2P accounts?

Before I can recommend F2P to friends and acquaintances, I need to understand exactly what the limitations are for those accounts. As best I can tell, there has been no single dev post delineating the complete mail, gold, chat, etc. limits. If I simply missed it, perhaps someone would be so kind as to post a link.

TIA

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothea View Post
    Before I can recommend F2P to friends and acquaintances, I need to understand exactly what the limitations are for those accounts. As best I can tell, there has been no single dev post delineating the complete mail, gold, chat, etc. limits. If I simply missed it, perhaps someone would be so kind as to post a link.

TIA
    I'm pretty sure the design is, that nothing is limited more than for VIP p[layers, except that you have to pay for things on a per item basis... Are you asking for a full menu of the content you can buy, or are you asking if some stuff just isn't available to F2P players?
    Nyr Dyv Raiders - Sarlona
    Bloodbath, Barb 20 · Stonehaul, AC Build 20 · Sonnkral, Melee 20 · Sacrament, Cleric 17 · Sentient, Sorcerer 17 · Kimosabe, Archer 20 · Livid, Rogue 15 · Luthiena, Bard 20 · Luxoria, Paladin 8· Machinos, Wiz 8

Now this is from memory, and I don't know the exact limitations, but here goes...

- limit on how much gold you can carry which increases by level (it's pretty low).
    - Number of tells per minute is limited
    - Number of mails that can be sent is limited
    - limited to 2 character slots

Now, those limits are removed if they buy any (even the smallest number available) of points from the DDO store, so $5 will remove those limits as well as increasing the number of character slots to 4.

Now beyond that, the level cap is limited by leveling sigils. Initially the cap is level 4. This can be increased per character by finding Leveling Sigils that are dropped from quests, or buy buying them from the store. There are also some quest lines and areas that cannot be entered without buying access from the store, or receiving a guest pass from another player. The Guest Pass will allow access to the area for a limited amount of time to allow for you to join in the quests.
    Utinni!
    Kurndor (Cleric), Kaeg (Fighter), and Okkuu (Barbarian) | Sarlona
    Warhammer 40k Blog and more

Yes, I found the vague outlines but no specific details. How much gold, how many mails, how many tells, etc. If the limitations are ridiculously low, then I see no point in recommending the F2P plan. I find it odd that the specifics have still not been posted. I would think it would be easier to attract a new audience by providing specific details than by letting someone get surprised when attempting to sell at a vendor or when attempting to reply to a tell, etc.

What do you want for nothing? A rubber biscuit???
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

Yes, I found the vague outlines but no specific details. How much gold, how many mails, how many tells, etc. If the limitations are ridiculously low, then I see no point in recommending the F2P plan. I find it odd that the specifics have still not been posted. I would think it would be easier to attract a new audience by providing specific details than by letting someone get surprised when attempting to sell at a vendor or when attempting to reply to a tell, etc.
    Discovered on logging in my Lvl.3 that had been passed a small chunk of change from a complete stranger just prior to the switch to F2P...

Lvl.1 - 12,500g (1,250p)
    Lvl.2 - ???
    Lvl.3 - 50,000g (5,000p)

From extrapolation, I'm guessing 25,000g (2,500p) for Lvl.2, and possibly either 100,000g (10,000p) or maybe 75,000g (7,500p) for Lvl.4...

Option #1 being if they continue in a continuous doubling... Option #2, if they revert to a sliding scale.

Note: There HAS been confirmation that if you purchase even just 400 TPs (~$7.00), and buy something with some of said points, you get upgraded from pure F2P to "Premium", which lifts the F2P limitations and opens two additional character slots to use for the life of the account, with no other outpouring of cash required. (Citation: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...97&postcount=7)

I know it's not literal "F2P", but it's a damn sight better than what they've offered as F2P (which is more of an 'eternal trial account', in my view). It's not perfect, but it IS inexpensive... If that's not a possibility for you or your friends (and it likely won't be for me, either... at least for a while), then I'd get used to the embedded limits of the offered F2P experience... It is their sandbox, after all.
    Dinenae Althenineth - Reclusive Survivalist (Rog/Rng/Ftr) - Khyber
    Kaljnir "Kael" Swiftaxe - Dwarven Dervish (Rng/Ftr) - Khyber
    SEPARATE - ISOLATE - NULLIFY

Smile Haven't heard that in ages

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    What do you want for nothing? A rubber biscuit???
    LOL

a-rrrubberrrr biscuitttt!!

bow bow bow!

And a +1 rep for you sir!

I would expect, if I were contemplating signing up for a F2P account, a complete breakdown on the differences between F2P and paid subscription accounts. The upside of specificity, informed expectations among the new user base, greatly out-weighs the downside, being able to stealth change the model. I'm not going to recommend F2P to my friends without being able to point them to specific differences between paid and free accounts.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rkik_Dnec View Post
    Now this is from memory, and I don't know the exact limitations, but here goes...

- limit on how much gold you can carry which increases by level (it's pretty low).
    - Number of tells per minute is limited
    - Number of mails that can be sent is limited
    - limited to 2 character slots

Now, those limits are removed if they buy any (even the smallest number available) of points from the DDO store, so $5 will remove those limits as well as increasing the number of character slots to 4.

Now beyond that, the level cap is limited by leveling sigils. Initially the cap is level 4. This can be increased per character by finding Leveling Sigils that are dropped from quests, or buy buying them from the store. There are also some quest lines and areas that cannot be entered without buying access from the store, or receiving a guest pass from another player. The Guest Pass will allow access to the area for a limited amount of time to allow for you to join in the quests.
    You are also limited to 1 item for sale on the AH. It's either 1 at a time, or 1 per day, not sure.

This limit is also removed if you make just 1 purchase of any amount of TP in the store.

Customer Service Representative Victorie's Avatar

Please see this post for information.
    DDO Support Page & Knowledge Base
    To request support from a Customer Service Agent, simply click on "Submit a Ticket"
    English Account/Store Support is available Monday through Friday from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm (GMT -5). 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Contact us on Twitter @DDOUnlimited

TIA
    Yep you missed it big time as it has been posted and talked about til we are all blue in the face.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Please see this post for information.
    Thank you Victorie, I appreciate the link and bookmarked it for future reference. I still think, however, that the page ya'll keep linking to, ddo.com/vip, should have the specific limitations rather than vague wording. It's the logical place to look for that information.

The limit on gold is of particular importance if it can prevent a player from detaching AH proceeds from in-game mail, as has been reported, as well as preventing players from selling unwanted items when inventory slots are full.

Community Member

Its not really all that limited. That is alot of gold to carry around and the chat limitations are meh. the biggest limitation I see is the use of the forums, but oh well. I'd rather just deal with it and enjoy what I can get for free, and when I decide to break out the wallet, so much the better.

the f2p limit for platnium peices is 1,250 at level 1. It doubles every level (2=2,500, 3=5,000, etc, etc) until level 14 when it becomes 4.3 mill like the p2ps' hope this helps

Community Member

http://ddowiki.com/page/Free_To_Play

it sounds like you asking to recommend f2p over other methods rather then looking to recommend DDO over other games.

if i'm understanding that correctly you lose nothing by starting off as f2p then upgrading if you find the limitations too much.

personally the only one that irked me was the one item at a time when posting auctions.

do note, that spending the minimum on points (around $5 iirc) upgrades you to premium where a lot of restrictions are lifted.

Community Member

While the auction house limit as well as tell's per minute limit (never reached that, and i chat a lot at times) and mail limit are static for f2p, the other limits are not.

Like others already noted, around lvl 14 you can carry as much cash as anyone else in game (which is 4.2m plat maximum, 4.2b copper <=> 32bit unsigned int limit)

Also note that the 2 char slots "limit" is not for all time - you can always gather tp points while playing and invest those in additional char slots (or adventure packs, which is of course better at the start of your ddo experience, but later on you will want to put some points into more slots)

It is of course far more efficient for your money/time if you do invest a few bucks now and then to get turbine points instead of only farming them, and when you even invest in only the smallest point package you will loose all mentioned restrictions and are automatically upgraded to 4 char slots ... but this is totally your decision to make, and you can stay f2p til the end of the servers live if you like.

One thing forgotten - in game technical service is only available to vip players as well as premium players for a certain amount of days (40days after last point purchase?) and vip/premium players are said to have a higher priority in the login queue when the servers are overcrowded (can happen from time to time, in my experience though not really often and mostly only after server maintenance/updates when everyone in the world is trying to login at the same time)

wow, great thread necromancy.

Exclamation

Now beyond that, the level cap is limited by leveling sigils. Initially the cap is level 4. This can be increased per character by finding Leveling Sigils that are dropped from quests, or buy buying them from the store.
    Err I thought the level cap thingies were removed? I am now level 5 (almost level 6, yay for me!) and have not needed a levelling sigil yet.

This feature is no longer active from Update 3.
    You can freely go up levels till 20 for free now.

Source: http://ddonline.wikia.com/wiki/Sigil_of_Leveling

First I would never recommend true F2P, I would always recommend that anyone buy at the minimum the lowest Turbine Points Bundle, currently $6.50 for 420 points.

This way I knew for sure they would at least be able to enjoy the game I recommend without having to worry about coin carrying limits, posting only 1 Auction House item at a time, etc.

And if I had a friend who could not afford that then I think I would be trying to help them find a job instead of a game to waste his time on or for someone like my 7 year old son I would setup the account and buy the points for him myself.
    “To win without risk is to triumph without glory.”
    XXXXXX - xxxxxxxxx
    D O M I N P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast