Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cause and effect

With a little homework and some asking around, I was able to determine that the Mockduck name had in fact been saved as a courtesy and not taken with malicious intent. Said person likes the ddocast shows, and was hoping to get the name and hand it over before someone else with less scruples could effectively cybersquat the name. I was told that said person's work kept them from their computer, negating any chance of sending a pm off, and that they returned to the forums later in the day only to see the angry posts and that another user was being implied as the perpetrator for taking the name. Said person released the name as soon as possible so that the other user wouldn't be the focal point of the misplaced rage, and didn't bother with sending a pm out as the damage had already been done.

I can understand the frustration these people might have felt since their personality is synonymous with a certain name or phrase that is well known and respected. But to single people out and call them names doesn't help the ddo community, or game, at all. This is not the type of thing that I was hoping new players would see, and I hope that they don't think all of the big players in the ddo community act in this fashion.

Im thinking if i was the person wrongfully accused i would file a harassment ticket.

As far as i know no one legally owns their names on here and i cant imagine how someone taking your name is a form of harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by rnor6084 View Post
    Im thinking if i was the person wrongfully accused i would file a harassment ticket.

As far as i know no one legally owns their names on here and i cant imagine how someone taking your name is a form of harassment.
    Agreed. As long as their not flaunting it in your face buy "harassing" you of course.
    Tinted Faces/AFK Inside Quest - Zindar, Ballerd, Mazrim

Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers

i would only be disappointed if they didnt use the name on an active player. to take a name you never intend to use is harassment of a sort. I got all the ones (over 20) i wanted but 1 so no big deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    With a little homework and some asking around, I was able to determine that the Mockduck name had in fact been saved as a courtesy and not taken with malicious intent. Said person likes the ddocast shows, and was hoping to get the name and hand it over before someone else with less scruples could effectively cybersquat the name. I was told that said person's work kept them from their computer, negating any chance of sending a pm off, and that they returned to the forums later in the day only to see the angry posts and that another user was being implied as the perpetrator for taking the name. Said person released the name as soon as possible so that the other user wouldn't be the focal point of the misplaced rage, and didn't bother with sending a pm out as the damage had already been done.

I can understand the frustration these people might have felt since their personality is synonymous with a certain name or phrase that is well known and respected. But to single people out and call them names doesn't help the ddo community, or game, at all. This is not the type of thing that I was hoping new players would see, and I hope that they don't think all of the big players in the ddo community act in this fashion.
    Interesting. I'm glad that this got cleared up. I do thank (in hindsight) the person who did it, although it would have been nice to get a PM as soon as the name was taken in order to prevent any confusion. Still, I am glad that whoever did it released the name and appreciate their help to secure the name to begin with.

Of course, I never accused one person in particular publicly of doing anything, it just seemed odd that my name and a number of others were "taken" early on. I also never called anyone a name, other than to say that if it was done maliciously then that wasn't a very nice thing to do.

Someone in a different thread had asked about how I could file a harassment ticket over a name, since all names are up for grabs. This is true! Under most conditions, filing a harassment ticket would do nothing. However, it was my thought at the time that if someone deliberately took my and other people's names (and at least two well known guild names), then as a group that might be considered harassment, since the names would have potentially been taken en masse as a way to grief, which might fall under Turbine's harassment policy. Ultimately, it was through trying to file the harassment ticket that I learned that the name had been released, so no actual ticket was ever filed.

Anyway, I think this closes the book on the subject. Sorry to any DDOcast listener who tried to help and felt like they ended up being punished for their help. Still, you have to look at it from the cumulative perspective of me and others finding our names quickly taken. A quick PM or email would have been great. I'm easy to get a hold of and quick to respond. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mockduck; 09-02-2009 at 01:03 PM.
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mockduck View Post
    Interesting. I'm glad that this got cleared up. I do thank (in hindsight) the person who did it, although it would have been nice to get a PM as soon as the name was taken in order to prevent any confusion. Still, I am glad that whoever did it released the name and appreciate their help to secure the name to begin with.
    As noted above, said person was prevented from sending a pm due to their work obligations at the time.

I also never called anyone a name, other than to say that if it was done maliciously then that wasn't a very nice thing to do.
    I believe you had this to say about the person, found in separate threads:

You've also made sure that I will not be playing on Cannith. Jerk.
    Guess I won't be playing on Cannith either! Some A#$hat took Mockduck.

Anyway, I think this closes the book on the subject. Sorry to any DDOcast listener who tried to help and felt like they ended up being punished for their help. Still, you have to look at it from the cumulative perspective of me and others finding our names quickly taken. A quick PM or email would have been great. I'm easy to get a hold of and quick to respond. Thanks!
    As noted above, said person was prevented from sending a pm due to their work obligations at the time. It sounds like a pm was forthcoming until said person saw the reaction on the forums, as I can only imagine they did not want to draw what could have been negative attention to themselves because of this 'cumulative perspective'.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

As noted above, said person was prevented from sending a pm due to their work obligations at the time.

I believe you had this to say about the person, found in separate threads:

You've also made sure that I will not be playing on Cannith. Jerk.
    Guess I won't be playing on Cannith either! Some A#$hat took Mockduck.

As noted above, said person was prevented from sending a pm due to their work obligations at the time. It sounds like a pm was forthcoming until said person saw the reaction on the forums, as I can only imagine they did not want to draw what could have been negative attention to themselves because of this 'cumulative perspective'.
    So you....er.... He can play DDO at work but doesnt have access to email?

It also would of been very easy to send Jerry a PM or email before hand if they planned on doing this noble deed.

"Hey Jerry, I'm going to be around Tuesday morning ad shoul dbe able to get onto Cannith as son as its open, would you like me to reserve the name Mockduck for you to make sure it doesnt get snagged?"

Sorry to be so pessimistic about this, But my Guild is a victim as well.

Its very easy to say "I had the best Intentions" after someone called you out about it. Jerry is also a very understanding guy. I'm sure if the offender PM'd him and said "hey, I took the name, I meant to PM you but got busy" All hard feeling would of went right out the door.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post

It also would of been very easy to send Jerry a PM or email before hand if they planned on doing this noble deed.

"Hey Jerry, I'm going to be around Tuesday morning ad shoul dbe able to get onto Cannith as son as its open, would you like me to reserve the name Mockduck for you to make sure it doesnt get snagged?"

Its very easy to say "I had the best Intentions" after someone called you out about it. Jerry is also a very understanding guy. I'm sure if the offender PM'd him and said "hey, I took the name, I meant to PM you but got busy" All hard feeling would of went right out the door.
    /qft

I don't know if this was the case here, but I've had jobs before where you sit around doing nothing for awhile, then suddenly have to attend to something without any delay whatsoever.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by RictrasShard View Post
    I don't know if this was the case here, but I've had jobs before where you sit around doing nothing for awhile, then suddenly have to attend to something without any delay whatsoever.

Still would be nice to Send Jerry a PM now about the incident.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

I definitely would not have "targeted" anyone who sent me a pm or email saying what they'd done. It would have been helpful and I wouldn't have been a jerk to them. Frankly, I wouldn't have "targeted" anyone who sent me a pm or email saying they'd taken the name maliciously and weren't going to give it back either. I'm not a vengeful person, although I probably would have filled out that harassment report in-game and not done any kind of "public" response.

Good point about the original comment, I was angry that someone had taken the name. I apologize if the person who tried to help out was mad, but you have to see it from my perspective of what had happened at the time. Before posting, I'd gone though my IM, email and PM list to see if someone had "reserved" it for me, but had nothing. Total silence all day. Which led me to think that the effort was not charitable in nature. I was wrong in hindsight, but how was I supposed to know?
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

I believe that you are making the insinuation that said person was I. Please provide any evidence you have that defends that statement and brought you to that conclusion. Furthermore, it would appear that you believe said person is a he and can play ddo at work. At no time did I indicate that said person was a he or she, nor did I indicate said person was even at work, but rather that said person's work prevented them from sending the pm.

I am unable to speculate as to whether said person had the intention of doing Jerry a favor beforehand, or that the idea occured to them on the spur of the moment. Obviously if it was the latter, then such a pm would not have been possible.

As was mine. A buddy in my guild was unable to get their main's name. However, I did not let my emotion cloud the issue of working to get that name to them for their use.

I will not speculate as to what Jerry's response may or may not have been had a pm been sent later in the day, especially considering what had been posted in the forums up to that point.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

I believe that you are making the insinuation that said person was I. Please provide any evidence you have that defends that statement and brought you to that conclusion. Furthermore, it would appear that you believe said person is a he and can play ddo at work. At no time did I indicate that said person was a he or she, nor did I indicate said person was even at work, but rather that said person's work prevented them from sending the pm.
    Nope, It was just an honest slip...

I am unable to speculate as to whether said person had the intention of doing Jerry a favor beforehand, or that the idea occured to them on the spur of the moment. Obviously if it was the latter, then such a pm would not have been possible.

As was mine. A buddy in my guild was unable to get their main's name. However, I did not let my emotion cloud the issue of working to get that name to them for their use.
    Not a Character name. my Guilds name.... There are propbobly hundres of people that didnt get the exact character name they wanted.. My Guilds name is Unique. Moreso than "Mockduck" perhaps even.

I will not speculate as to what Jerry's response may or may not have been had a pm been sent later in the day, especially considering what had been posted in the forums up to that point.
    You wont speculate on his response, but you'll post unconfirmed 2nd hand info? ANyone who is "Nice enough" to grab his name so someone wouldnt take it maliciously probobly listens to the DDOCast. ANyone who listend to th epodcast knows Jerry isnt a vengeful person. Shut.. Hes not even Mean.... Because he said the person was an **Hat and a jerk doenst mean he was going to driver over to his house when he found out who it was and break their arm or somethin...
    Thelanis

Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Mockduck View Post
    Good point about the original comment, I was angry that someone had taken the name. I apologize if the person who tried to help out was mad, but you have to see it from my perspective of what had happened at the time. Before posting, I'd gone though my IM, email and PM list to see if someone had "reserved" it for me, but had nothing. Total silence all day. Which led me to think that the effort was not charitable in nature. I was wrong in hindsight, but how was I supposed to know?
    I am unclear as to why I have to see it from your perspective, that your anger is justifiable based on an assumption you had made.

I am also unclear as to your statement that there had been "Total silence all day". The patch was available at approximately 9:09am EST, and your two comments that included name-calling were posted at 3:08pm and 3:12pm EST. Merely six hours had passed.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

I am unclear as to why I have to see it from your perspective, that your anger is justifiable based on an assumption you had made.
    I'm unclear as to why you would need to see it his way as well as you have reminded us that you were not the person who took the name. Jerry is simply using you as a stand in for the actual person who did this.

I am also unclear as to your statement that there had been "Total silence all day". The patch was available at approximately 9:09am EST, and your two comments that included name-calling were posted at 3:08pm and 3:12pm EST. Merely six hours had passed.
    Total Silence onthe hijackers part from Launch until we heard from you at 9:50am. and evidentally jerry still hasnt gotten any word from the actual person who took the name
    Thelanis

Sev~

You don't have to see it from my perspective, I was just letting that perspective be put out there for any and all consumption. Thanks for your post this morning, it was good to know more about what happened. Don't feel like anything is being personally directed at you. Let's let this one go unless there's something more to add?

Oh, and if the worst that can be said about me is that I used two "meany" names in posts written after believing that my main toon's name got hijacked, I'd say I'm doing pretty good. I'm sure there are far worse things that could be said about me!
    Last edited by Mockduck; 09-02-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Default Too late...

Thanks for the info. But I think the damage has been done. I'm a new player, only been playing since July. I remember when creating my characters on the live server I chose, that trying to come up with a reasonable name that hadn't been used was a chore. I'm sure they would never be available across all servers. For all I know, there are other players on the other servers playing with the same character names as I.

I can see how someone choosing a name on a clean server could easily coincide with a name used on another server. No disrepect, but until this thread, I don't remember ever seeing the name Mockduck, but again I'm new. Also, I'm certain some players never come to the forums. I don't know if this or another name was taken in innocence or out of spite.

The most disturbing thing to me right now, is the witch hunt that ensued by, as was stated above, the "big players" in the DDO community. There was no evidence if this, or any other name conflict, occurred innocently or out of malice, and apparently not much effort to determine the truth. There was just the presumption of guilt and malice, followed by proceeding directly to the sentencing phase.

To a new player, this incident makes the community come across as a "private club" with a "we'll let the newbies play since we need their money, but they had better do what we want, when we want, how we want" attitude.

Personally, I would not intentionally take a name I knew was used by some else, but it's impossible to know all the names in use, even the apparently "well known" ones.

This has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Still would be nice to Send Jerry a PM now about the incident.
    Sometimes you can't. In my job, which is not my father's, when certain things happen, you have to attend to it immediately.

BTW, my father is a retired firefighter. When the bell goes off, you move.

Quote Originally Posted by Autolycus View Post
    Thanks for the info. But I think the damage has been done. I'm a new player, only been playing since July. I remember when creating my characters on the live server I chose, that trying to come up with a reasonable name that hadn't been used was a chore. I'm sure they would never be available across all servers. For all I know, there are other players on the other servers playing with the same character names as I.

I can see how someone choosing a name on a clean server could easily coincide with a name used on another server. No disrepect, but until this thread, I don't remember ever seeing the name Mockduck, but again I'm new. Also, I'm certain some players never come to the forums. I don't know if this or another name was taken in innocence or out of spite.

The most disturbing thing to me right now, is the witch hunt that ensued by, as was stated above, the "big players" in the DDO community. There was no evidence if this, or any other name conflict, occurred innocently or out of malice, and apparently not much effort to determine the truth. There was just the presumption of guilt and malice, followed by proceeding directly to the sentencing phase.

To a new player, this incident makes the community come across as a "private club" with a "we'll let the newbies play since we need their money, but they had better do what we want, when we want, how we want" attitude.

Personally, I would not intentionally take a name I knew was used by some else, but it's impossible to know all the names in use, even the apparently "well known" ones.

This has left a bad taste in my mouth.
    You have some good points here. The sense of entitlement demonstrated by some founders and "big names" made me grimace.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by rnor6084 View Post
    You have some good points here. The sense of entitlement demonstrated by some founders and "big names" made me grimace.
    Do you really think its posible that someone out of the blue came up with the Guild name "The Infamous Flaming Vagabonds" and then decided they arent really going to use that guild name on the server, they are just going to hide it on a mule.

Really?
    Thelanis

Sev~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast