Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 185
  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuldar View Post
    It depends on how many mana pots you intend to drink. Once you factor those in a larger sp pool is irrelevant. So I'd probably say wizard due to more feats and spells.
    sp is not a big deal. if a wiz is familar with a quest, he can manage to use its sp intelligently.

    but the slow casting speed make a big difference. Take an example, for a soc with good concentration, it could use a combo like SF + FW (or simply SF+FB+CoC) and save its life. The same strategy won't work for Wiz.
    ddoer.com: timer tracker, completions tracker, search engine, puzzle solver, xp table
    My toons on Argo: Salade TR2 Wiz20, Speedo ESoS Fighter, MangoSalade TR2 Wiz18/Mnk2, EvaHealer Clr18/Mnk2

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxmillian View Post
    Lets hash it out...which is better?
    Be specific...
    Changing spells for a sorcerer...find a trainer...pay a lot (coming from a cleric...what pay for changing a spell)
    Why would I build a sorcerer over a wizard?
    Truth be told I did build a sorcerer, now 4th level, considering scrapping for a wizard though...talk me out of it.
    1) Sorcs have enough spell slots they don't need to change them.
    2) Sorcs cast faster and have more SP
    3) Sorcs get a 10% damage bounes
    4) Wizards get more feats
    5) Wizards can pick up the useful once in a blue moon spell for a single part of 1 quest
    6) At cap wizards will have +1 spell DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

  3. #23
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,845

    Default

    Wizards are extremely important. Comparing wizards to sorcerers is silly and makes little sense. Its like comparing the Rossetta stone software to someone who speaks French. Rossetta stone is not a substitute for a Frenchman, its for training purposes. It may teach you to speak French.

    1. You need them to help teach people how to play sorcerers.
    2. If new spells come out or they change a quest and you want to experiment with some spells......pull out your training wizard and experiment.

    Until these 2 above items are no longer important in DDO there will always be a place for wizards, the Rossetta Stone of arcane casting in DDO.

  4. #24
    Founder kudesnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Never play wizards but surely ability to know all spells and don't have to pay "considerable" amounts of money on high levels to swap spells is very nice. It's all about your play style. Sorcs. from experience ( playing sorcs since original beta ( 2005 ) ) they start to shine from level 6. Yes you get fireball .

  5. #25
    Community Member vainangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    903

    Default

    My sorc does clouds and buffs. Instant Kills only when the melee monkies let one through.
    I often find the non-casters are more adept at killing without wasting spell points. Just haste them and let them run.
    It has more to do with how you play, who you play with, and if you want to solo or not.

    That is just me.
    It does appear the Sorcs have more support.
    ??* Worth[R]Elf ??* Kittu[R/P]Dwarf ??* Alexo[S]Drow ??* Amida[R]Elf ??* Krsna[R/F]Warforged ??* vainangel[F/W]Human ??* Cundi[FvS]Drow ??* ♪♫.we are sarcastic.♫♪

  6. #26

    Default

    hmmm what will you choose
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

  7. #27
    Community Member ninjaeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    365

    Default sorc/wiz

    i like both but personally my wizards beaten alot of sorcerers

  8. #28
    Community Member Aerendil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bbrik View Post
    WF sorcs will be the new thing in pvp and pve. With the new mod you will be able to use your char bonus for reflex ad you can all ready use it for will. So max con and char WF and maybe drow will be amazing. Drow for 20 char base and being a little more different and WF will self heal have amazing saves hp and sp.
    What feat is this that allows CHA bonus to reflex saves?

    My Bard just wet himself.

  9. #29
    Community Member foxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    588

    Default

    can you say quicken?

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerendil View Post
    What feat is this that allows CHA bonus to reflex saves?

    My Bard just wet himself.
    CHA to Will save is Force of personality

    INT to reflex is Insightful Reflexes

    CHA to reflex doesn't exist nor INT to Will
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

  11. #31
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweyn View Post
    Sorcs are better hands down. The more spell points you get and faster casting out weigh versitility. The number of spells sorcs get for each lvl is plenty. For some lvls i have spells that are useless, there was nothing better. You should know what spells you need and which ones youll use, i planned it out on my sorc, and onl had to swap a few times, why? because all those extra spell slots are not needed. Sure, you can have a ton of spells, but you wont beable to keep on going like a sorc.
    Thread was over by post #4. +1.
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

  12. #32
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    It comes down to this:

    Sorc: nuking and repetitive spell-casting power

    Wizard: Ultimate crowd control and DC based spell-casting

    Take your pick of what you want to do.
    How so, regarding "Ultimate CC and DC based spell-casting"?

    Aside from being able to prep the perfect CC spell, I'm lost as to what a wizard could do better than a sorc. In which case I'd suggest swapping ultimate with utility.
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

  13. #33
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strakeln View Post
    Aside from being able to prep the perfect CC spell, I'm lost as to what a wizard could do better than a sorc.
    Capstone will give wizards +1 DC over sorcs... Minor but true...

    Wizards have so many more feats, it's easy to get all the spell pen feats, the nuking feats, AND spell focus feats...

    Wizards do have some advantages...

    One could easily say that with Quicken and the ability to drink all the SP pots one wants, wizards outclass sorcs now... But I would never say that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  14. #34
    Community Member BurningDownTheHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    One could easily say that with Quicken and the ability to drink all the SP pots one wants, wizzards outclass sorcs now... But I would never say that...
    I see this Quicken thing being raised over and over again, and i want to clarify a point:
    Yes, with quicken you cast faster, BUT it doesn't reduse the built in cooldown timer that every spell has and which for sorcs is half that of the wizzards.
    Sorry, but a wizzard will never compare to a sorc in pure nukage NO MATTER HOW NUCKAGE SPECED THE WIZZARD IS.
    In addition, if you actually spec a sorc for cc or instakill, the faster cooldown will make him far superior to a similarly speced wizzard.

    P.S. I spell wizzard the way I do for a reason.
    Incinirate/Scracher/Pulverize/Saave/Intimidate/Extterminate/Assacinate/Dismemberr.
    Officer of Pestilence.
    --A Xorian invader to Thelanis--
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Lailat is just a loot pinyata.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningDownTheHouse View Post
    I see this Quicken thing being raised over and over again, and i want to clarify a point:
    Yes, with quicken you cast faster, BUT it doesn't reduse the built in cooldown timer that every spell has and which for sorcs is half that of the wizzards.
    Sorry, but a wizzard will never compare to a sorc in pure nukage NO MATTER HOW NUCKAGE SPECED THE WIZZARD IS.
    In addition, if you actually spec a sorc for cc or instakill, the faster cooldown will make him far superior to a similarly speced wizzard.

    P.S. I spell wizzard the way I do for a reason.
    the wizz really need pots to keep quicken and maximize always on to do nuking. is there enough time to draw a pots during the cooldown?
    ddoer.com: timer tracker, completions tracker, search engine, puzzle solver, xp table
    My toons on Argo: Salade TR2 Wiz20, Speedo ESoS Fighter, MangoSalade TR2 Wiz18/Mnk2, EvaHealer Clr18/Mnk2

  16. #36
    Community Member BurningDownTheHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddoer View Post
    the wizz really need pots to keep quicken and maximize always on to do nuking. is there enough time to draw a pots during the cooldown?
    I'm not sure what that has to do with my point...

    If nuking for long enough, eventually the sorc will need to chug mana pots as well.
    My point was that even with quicken, a wizzard will not nuke as fast and eficiently as a sorc (with no quicken).
    Incinirate/Scracher/Pulverize/Saave/Intimidate/Extterminate/Assacinate/Dismemberr.
    Officer of Pestilence.
    --A Xorian invader to Thelanis--
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Lailat is just a loot pinyata.

  17. #37
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningDownTheHouse View Post
    I'm not sure what that has to do with my point...

    If nuking for long enough, eventually the sorc will need to chug mana pots as well.
    My point was that even with quicken, a wizzard will not nuke as fast and eficiently as a sorc (with no quicken).
    This is true... plus a sorc does more damage nuking because of their capstone...

    I was just kidding about saying wizards are superior to sorcs... but the people saying sorcs are obviously superior to wizards are wrong too...

    There are things wizards do better than sorcs. All those feats, and being able to pick the exact right spell for the situation do matter...

    And I doubt the devs are raising the level cap again anytime soon... But I bet future mods will include new cool spells... I think being able to swap out to situational spells is useful now... I see that ability becoming even more important as they add new spells.

    Like my first post in this thread said... wizards and sorcs are fairly well balanced...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  18. #38
    Community Member DakFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    714

    Default

    I made the mistake of rolling up a Sorc before a Wizard. After experiencing playing a Sorc I just couldn't play the Wiz I rolled up next, it just felt so slow.

    It's kind of like buying a Mercedes SLK and then buying a Dodge Caravan. Sure the SLK is only good for driving really fast and can't haul all your groceries and kids, but man is it fun to drive.

    There will always be a need for Mini-Vans, just like there is for Wizards, but that doesn't mean I want to drive one unless I really have to.

    (I should start a thread up called "What kind of car would each class be?")

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DakFrost View Post
    After experiencing playing a Sorc I just couldn't play the Wiz I rolled up next, it just felt so slow.
    Exactly. My wiz is semi-retired and is used mainly for spell experiment or doing labour works like collecting Soul Gems.

    You don't call this superior?
    ddoer.com: timer tracker, completions tracker, search engine, puzzle solver, xp table
    My toons on Argo: Salade TR2 Wiz20, Speedo ESoS Fighter, MangoSalade TR2 Wiz18/Mnk2, EvaHealer Clr18/Mnk2

  20. #40
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddoer View Post
    Exactly. My wiz is semi-retired and is used mainly for spell experiment or doing labour works like collecting Soul Gems.

    You don't call this superior?
    Never been an issue for me. If I need to cast fast and often, I cycle through FoD, and PK. If I need to cast even faster, I add Banishment or Flesh to Stone to the cycle...

    Fast casting and fast cooldown is the sorc's main advantage. If they didn't have that. no one would ever play sorc... Extra SP would not be enough.

    That fast casting and fast cooldown is what balances sorcs to wizards...

    For many people that aspect is worth more to them than spell flexibility and 4 extra feats (5 extra at 20th level). Others prefer the wizard's strengths...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload