Page 75 of 87 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1727

Many Kobolds are paying for this update with their lives.......

For some reason after each update to the enhancement file I'm feeling the need to hurt some small inoffensive (relatively) digital creatures. There's something oddly therapeutic about taking a lvl25 Wizard into a level 3 quest and sitting in a cloudkill for 5-10 minutes
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for the update on this Ron and all who are contributing to this revamp!

T.

Hey guys,

Just so we can finish up the new races, I need a bit of info (I don't have access to these yet)

I need the starting ability numbers for:
    • Morninglord
    • Purple Dragon Knight
    • Shadar-Kai

Also, if anyone has any screenshots that show the in-game race descriptions for those three and the Bladeforged (for Humans, it's the text that starts off as "Versatility is the greatest strength of humans. They can do well in any of the classes. Humans are the most adaptable of all the races and live in all sorts of environments"). That would be helpful to us as well.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Hey guys,

Just so we can finish up the new races, I need a bit of info (I don't have access to these yet)

• Morninglord
    • Purple Dragon Knight
    • Shadar-Kai

Also, if anyone has any screenshots that show the in-game race descriptions for those three and the Bladeforged (for Humans, it's the text that starts off as "Versatility is the greatest strength of humans. They can do well in any of the classes. Humans are the most adaptable of all the races and live in all sorts of environments"). That would be helpful to us as well.
    Morninglord: -2 Con, +2 Int "A battle ready cleric of the great sun-god who wields holy light against the dark in all its wicked forms."

Purple Dragon Knight: No base stat modifiers "A stalwart fighter, cut loose from active service, who can lead the charge with rallying battle-cries."

Shadar-Kai: +2 DEX, -2 CHA "A lethal rogue who has thrown off the Netherease yoke and drawn on innate powers of the Shadowfell to hide and kill."
    Last edited by Krelar; 08-27-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Hey guys,

• Morninglord
    • Purple Dragon Knight
    • Shadar-Kai

http://s190.photobucket.com/user/Bol...%20DDO%20races

Is this what you need?
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Awesome, perfect. Thanks guys.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

after the update18 i need this new char plan release like a fish need water to breathe...

Can't wait to see it... i need to change many things with the new enanch system.

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

I HATE 2 be *that* guy BUT how's this coming along? Keep up the great work! An invaluable resource to the community! Thanks Team Ron! Cheers! :P! !

No worries either way at all! !
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Default Where is your tip jar?

Ron and crew-

I just went looking on your website for a tip jar. If it's there, you need to make it more prominent. If there is no tip jar, you need one! Your planner has been immensely helpful to me, and although I can't make you rich, I would like to buy you and the others a couple beverages of choice. Thanks!

Community Member

It's amazing that out of the thousands of people who play this a lot, only a couple of people have ever made planners. In even the most obscure gaming communities, I find there is almost never a lack of minutely detailed guides and walkthroughs. I wonder why there are so few people in the DDO community who bother to write and release these kinds of tools?

You'd think with the information technology skills out there, someone could whip something like this up in no time. I guess DDO really is a niche, niche, niche game and I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who log in regularly is in the few thousands.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RightToRemainStupid View Post
    It's amazing that out of the thousands of people who play this a lot, only a couple of people have ever made planners. In even the most obscure gaming communities, I find there is almost never a lack of minutely detailed guides and walkthroughs. I wonder why there are so few people in the DDO community who bother to write and release these kinds of tools?
    PnP is the answer you're looking for.... in PnP there's no real character planning. ( except in a few games... D&D is not one of them ).

A lot of the casuals comes from the PnP community, they don't plan characters the way computer game players will plan them.
    It's also true for the walkthrough to an extend... PnP people would tend to explore the quests without any walkthrough information. And after you've done the quest a few time you know it by heart.
    Most of the long time players knows all the quests nooks and crannies... And for the quests they don't know they don't want to be spoiled the surprise of exploring the quest...
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

You'd think with the information technology skills out there, someone could whip something like this up in no time. I guess DDO really is a niche, niche, niche game and I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who log in regularly is in the few thousands.
    1. What is the point of others making character planners when the one these guys make is so awesome?
    2. If you think programming is easy and stuff like this can just be "whipped up" I have two suggestions. First, go take a Java programming class to get an idea of what it is like. Second, stick your head in the back end of a program sometime ( the code I mean). The complexity and vastness will astound you.

It does not surprise me that it takes some time to update the planner. What does surprise me is that these guys do it for free. My hat off to you folks!

In no time? Heh. Wow.

I don't know about everyone else's tools, but I can tell you the Character Planner is very complex. Thousands upon thousands of lines of code. All of which has to work together and be debugged (there are times when I've worked all afternoon on 10 lines of code).

But that's not really the biggest barrier to writing tools. It's the data input. Point in fact: The text file for just the new enhancement system will end up being somewhere around 25,000 lines long. And that's not just random **** we are putting in. Each line has to be typed in manually, and it has to be accurate. An inaccurate line, at best, might just screw up somebodies character. At worst, it could crash the program or corrupt save data. So yeah, we have to take great pains that the 25,000 lines of text we are typing in are as accurate as we can make them. And that's just one system. Then you have spells, feats, classes, races, equipment, and destinies. All of which have the same issues.

There is no "In no time" man. The work involved is immense. And most people don't want to put in that sort of time for a game. So no, it does not surprise me at all that there are not six character planner tools out there. It takes a special sort of idiot to create and maintain such a program for years on end for free. Lucky for y'all, I am just such an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by whereispowderedsilve View Post
    I HATE 2 be *that* guy BUT how's this coming along? Keep up the great work! An invaluable resource to the community! Thanks Team Ron! Cheers! :P! !

No worries either way at all! !
    It is coming along. We have completed data input for 31 out of the 46 total trees. And I think we have most of the graphics for all of those trees done (I'm missing a few, but I'll get them).

Dragonstar and I have been working on the actual code to run the interface (mostly Dragonstar), and it's almost to a point where you can plan a character's enhancements (the one sticking point are the multi-boxes, where you click on a enhancement and it brings up a box with a selection of enhancements you can take. Dragon is almost done with that subsystem).

It needs some polish and some debugging, for sure. But it's getting close. Once that's done, we have to do the "transfer" over to the character data once you hit the "accept" button. And we have to deal with the save/load routines to save all this new stuff to file.

A lot of minutia left. But the basic system is about done anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravand View Post
    Ron and crew-

I just went looking on your website for a tip jar. If it's there, you need to make it more prominent. If there is no tip jar, you need one! Your planner has been immensely helpful to me, and although I can't make you rich, I would like to buy you and the others a couple beverages of choice. Thanks!
    The sentiment is appreciated. But I don't accept tips for the planner. I've never felt right about taking money for a program which is based off someone else's work (Turbine). Give them the money. They did all the hard stuff, we're just copying what they created

When I have my own original game up and running, you can be sure I'll be accepting tips for that

Community Member

ron thankyou for the update on the planner

your friend sil

The sentiment is appreciated. But I don't accept tips for the planner. I've never felt right about taking money for a program which is based off someone else's work (Turbine). Give them the money.
    Actually you've a big role in the game itself. Without your work, DDO couldn't be as much enjoyable.

You should really accept tips. Indeed, you should be salaried by Turbine itself.

Quote Originally Posted by mezzorco View Post
    Actually you've a big role in the game itself. Without your work, DDO couldn't be as much enjoyable.

You should really accept tips. Indeed, you should be salaried by Turbine itself.
    I completely agree. My DDO experience would have been totally different without the planner.

Are you going to call the new version part of the 4.0 series?
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

There is no "In no time" man. The work involved is immense. And most people don't want to put in that sort of time for a game. So no, it does not surprise me at all that there are not six character planner tools out there. It takes a special sort of idiot to create and maintain such a program for years on end for free. Lucky for y'all, I am just such an idiot
    I always find it funny that there are so many people out there who have this distorted vision of how computer systems function. It's like that 1990's movie Hackers... it gave such a horrendously false image of hacking that you just couldn't help but feel anger. Seriously? Floating equations? Sigh... I Don't get me wrong, I know it's a movie and as irritating as the blatant "artistic license" was, I still enjoyed the movie.

I quad box and I wrote a front end loader for DDO. Very simple concept, run the program and it opens all the DDO windows I need and places them where I want them. 250 lines. 3-4 hours a day. 4 weeks. I could have got it done sooner but I have a full time job and am a single parent of two children.

So I feel for you Ron, keep up the good work.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

QFT. I have a feeling your builder has me spending more time with the game than I would w/o it since it allows me to roll up builds much faster thus spending more time in-game actually playing said builds, it also allows me to quickly test out and adjust builds for my friends who aren't so much into the building and would likely not play w/o my help.

Yes to I think that Ron should accept tips (although If he'd rather abstain I'll respect that) but no to him beiung on the payroll, not that I don't think Turbine should be paying him but being on the payroll means he'd have to answer to Turbine/WB and he probably wouldn't be able to choose his team and take on voluntary help, also any designs, etc. would have to be submitted for approval, it would slow down the process immensly and imo create an inferior product.

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    I completely agree. My DDO experience would have been totally different without the planner.

Are you going to call the new version part of the 4.0 series?
    It would be an apt time to go 4.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

This is awesome work you are doing. Thanks for all the effort you are putting in.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Page 75 of 87 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast