Page 71 of 87 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1727

Maybe I (or somebody) should start such a thread? I will do it if no one else wants to volunteer.

I really need that info for the printout (and ultimately for the planner as well). And I will need community help with it, for sure. That may be the best way to get all the mechanics and info I need.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Hey gang,

I'm working on the planner. The AC part of the printout just keeps ballooning further and further out of control But I'm getting a handle on it, slowly but surely.

However, one thing I did want to mention. I didn't write the equipment part of the planner (IIRC, I think Dragonstar did it). Now, I have very few complaints, he did a really good job with most of it. But there is one part that always bugged me.

We never had a variable array that represented "This item is what you have equipped in this slot" that lived in the character class. What we had instead was a pair of boolean flags that lived in the equipment class. So whenever you created a piece of equipment and put it on, one of those two flags was set.

Now, that violates the principals of OO programming, and it made for some very convoluted code every time we wanted to check a slot on the character for what bit of equipment was equipped there (basically we had to loop through every piece of equipment the character owned, check what slot it belonged in, and whether or not is was considered equipped). This was always problematic/buggy for several reasons (for one, think about rings and the fact that they can be in either of two slots).

I lived with it as long as I could, resisting the urge to fix it, because I knew I was going to tackle that issue with the equipment revamp coming down the pipeline. But as I'm doing the AC calculations, it just reached a breaking point. The code kept getting more and more complex to work around this issue.

So finally this morning I just said to hell with it. I added an array field to the character class that says: In this slot, this piece of equipment is equipped. I then started ripping out a lot of code (starting with those two flags in the equipment class).

This is a major change to the planner code, especially in the character and equipment classes. As of right now, the planner is totally borked. It won't even compile. But as I'm replacing code with much simpler and less buggy code, I'm finding it is much easier to do what I want to do. The code for AC calculations simplify quite a bit. This is really the way it ought to have been done in the first place.

What this means for you guys? Well, one side effect is old save files will no longer be able to equip your items. The items will still be there, but nothing will actually be equipped. You will have to re-equip what you were wearing. Once you save that character, the new save files will equip your items just fine.

The next release will probably be a "Beta", because I have made some very major changes to a lot code. Not just with the equipment, but in a lot of places. I like the new code a lot, but it really needs to be mass-tested before we can call it final.

So yeah, stay tuned...
    Last edited by Ron; 03-20-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Found a couple bugs in 3.16.01.

Berserker's Fury, the optional active barbarian past life feat, is giving its hit point bonus in the same manner as the Toughness feat, which is incorrect. Berserker's Fury no longer gives 1 hp per character level in game. Instead, it should give a flat +20 hit points right when you take it, and nothing additional per level.

Epic Toughness is missing a prereq. In addition to having 21 base con, you also have to have the Toughness feat. (Berserker's Fury does not count as a prereq in this case.)
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke

Community Member

Default wow

i hope this isn't considered spamming but....

thanks ron for all that you done these years about you character planner app

Sorry gang for the lack of progress. I was away for a week. Also, I've been trying very hard to get my head around AC and Defense so we can have a breakdown on the printout. Finally, I ended up rewriting a whole lot of code. It broke the planner for quite a while (to the point where the code would not compile), and I only just this morning got it back to a point where it compiles again. [and it still won't load a build file right now, it crashes, so I can't even load an existing build at the moment].

Anyway, having said all that, I have made some progress. Here is where the printout looks like as of today:

New Printout PDF

So a couple of things. Obviously, I'm not done yet with the whole AC/Defense section. That is the part I am working on now. I keep finding I need to add more fields as I go deeper and deeper into this area. To the point where now I don't have enough room to actually put in the armor and shield descriptions.

What I'm thinking is that I will swap the location of the "Combat Options" and "AC/Defense" sections. That would give me more vertical space for AC/Defense, which is what I need. I can also extend both sections a bit horizontally (I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with that empty space on the right side anyway) to give us a little more room.

If you guys have suggestions, though, let me know.

Sorry Raid, I haven't yet played with the character's name font. I want to get all the sections in place before I start the tweaking. But I'll get to it

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If you guys have suggestions, though, let me know.
    Breakdown out the detail in another section (back page?), but keep the layout you have a the moment.
    Varz
    Wanderlust

Quote Originally Posted by emptysands View Post
    Breakdown out the detail in another section (back page?), but keep the layout you have a the moment.
    I'll compromise with you. I'll put the 5 main defense numbers (AC, Dodge, Concealment, Incorporeal, and PRR) in bigger font along the top of the box, with the AC breakdown, the armor, and the shield worn, in a smaller font below it, but in the same section.

I'd like to keep the whole "Defense" part all in one section. That is more or less the way PnP D&D sheets are set up, and that's what we are trying to emulate here.

Sorry Raid, I haven't yet played with the character's name font. I want to get all the sections in place before I start the tweaking. But I'll get to it
    Thanks, otherwise it's shaping up nicely I think.

Latest version of the printout:

New Printout PDF

I should point out that everything on this page works, with the exception of the Defense section (that section is wicked complicated, and I felt like I was bogging down with it. I therefore moved on, and will come back to it).

I'm getting pretty close to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with this. Most of the really difficult stuff (except Defense) is done. What is left is mostly just lists of stuff (feats, enhancements, spells, equipment, etc). The skills have a bit of a breakdown, but those are fairly simple ones (and we already have them right in the planner, so there really shouldn't be any new code for that).

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

I'm getting pretty close to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with this.
    Does this mean you're almost ready to start redoing the entire planner for the new enhancements?

Yeah, I guess I better read over that thread again, I haven't read through it in like a year. I probably ought to start familiarizing myself with the ton of bricks that are coming, before they hit...

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Yeah, I guess I better read over that thread again, I haven't read through it in like a year. I probably ought to start familiarizing myself with the ton of bricks that are coming, before they hit...
    Ignore the old thread. Look at the class/race specific threads that are on lamannia forums right now.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Ignore the old thread. Look at the class/race specific threads that are on lamannia forums right now.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/In_development/Enhancements might help too.
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Default Status of the Planner

Hey gang,

I'm putting the planner coding on hold for the moment. In order for it to come off hold status, two things need to happen.

1) Turbine needs to fix the "log off every 2 minutes from the forums bug". Until that happens, I am unlikely to continue posting at all, because I'm far too lazy to log in every time I want to post something.

2) Turbine needs to fix the "white on white" in the code boxes that the forum export lives in.

I'm sure both those issues will be fixed shortly, but I'm not going to spend any time working on the planner until they are, since they are both show stoppers. There is no point in me doing any work on the planner until I know those issues will be addressed.

I will be asking for advice (once we get back on-line). I'm a bit stuck with the display of spells on the printout. It's the last section on the first page (woo!). But I'm entirely unsure of how to best display the spells a character has available in the space we have to do it in. So I'll be looking for input on that.

Haven't posted much lately, but I popped in to make a query. First, I'd like to start off by giving thanks to Ron for creating what is inarguably the best thing to ever be put out for ddo.

Next comes the question. Ron, have you ever thought of making a phone app version of the planner? I've got a friend who, against my advice, decided it was time for her to start playing ddo. I pointed your planner out to her and she asked, "Is there an app version?" I knew there wasn't, so I popped in to ask. She thought it'd be great to pass time at work by creating character ideas on her phone. I know there's an online character planner somewhere, but I found it not as user friendly as this character planner.

So, Ron, I realize you might be too busy to take on the project. But maybe there are.some other app savvy people out there that could use your coding to make an app version.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

Checking in. Basically seeing if the forum logout timer has been fixed. I think I will start working on the planner again. Unless I'm logged out before I finish posting this

Malk: The idea of a planner app has come up before. I probably won't do it (I simply don't have time), but if someone wanted to take it on, I'd certainly give them access to the code I have.

Okay gang,

I have decided to pick up the planner coding again. The forum's code boxes seems to be fixed (or close enough). While I'm still not real happy about the logout timer, it's better than it was, and I guess I can live with it for the moment. Hopefully it gets better. So I am hereby ending my embargo of the forums and resuming work on the character planner.

Anyway, here is the most current version of the planner printout:

New Printout PDF

As before, everything on this page works, with the exception of the Defense Box, which is partially working.

The reason I show you this is because I need to work on the next section (the last major one for this page). This will be the Spells listing. I want it to take up about two thirds of the empty space at the bottom right side, just below the Offense and Turn Undead sections. (the bottom third of the empty space will be for the "Notes" box, which is simply an empty space for the user to write in notes.

Now, here is the tricky bit.

Spell lists work differently for different classes.

Paladins, Rangers, Clerics, and Druids don't get to select spells at level-up, they just get all the spells at any given level they can cast (they then select active spells at the bars). Wizards, Sorcerers, Bards, Favored Souls, and Artificers select spells at level-up, and they don't get to change them very much. Wizards and Artificers, however, can inscribe spells from scrolls, adding to their list of known spells outside of the level-up process.

Okay, so how do we show all that in the spells box, given the limited amount of room we have to show it? And remember, we have to account for multiclassing as well (a Cleric/Druid would have a lot of Level 1 spells to display, for instance)

Spells go through level 9. Should we try to break down the section into 9 levels and show each individually?

Any suggestions? I'm at quite a loss here, so I'd appreciate any advice or insight you guys might have. I can't really seem to lock down a design I'm happy with for this particular box.
    Last edited by Ron; 05-31-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Community Member

How about a box with 3 smaller boxes/tabs in it(one for each possible class) with separations for spell level(or however it is done now). Could have a key denoting a spell being Selected, Inscribed, Granted.

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredState View Post
    How about a box with 3 smaller boxes/tabs in it(one for each possible class) with separations for spell level(or however it is done now). Could have a key denoting a spell being Selected, Inscribed, Granted.
    Yeah, I like the idea, but that's too much space, I think. It would never fit.

Three classes times 9 levels is 27 sections, and each section has to fit multiple spells.

Unless we were to move this entire box to the second page (and have it take up a large amount of that page), I don't really know how we would make that fit.

Maybe we should do that, and instead use the empty space for something else (feats, perhaps?)

<snip>
    The reason I show you this is because I need to work on the next section (the last major one for this page). This will be the Spells listing. I want it to take up about two thirds of the empty space at the bottom right side, just below the Offense and Turn Undead sections. (the bottom third of the empty space will be for the "Notes" box, which is simply an empty space for the user to write in notes.

Now, here is the tricky bit.

Spell lists work differently for different classes.

Paladins, Rangers, Clerics, and Druids don't get to select spells at level-up, they just get all the spells at any given level they can cast (they then select active spells at the bars). Wizards, Sorcerers, Bards, Favored Souls, and Artificers select spells at level-up, and they don't get to change them very much. Wizards and Artificers, however, can inscribe spells from scrolls, adding to their list of known spells outside of the level-up process.

Okay, so how do we show all that in the spells box, given the limited amount of room we have to show it? And remember, we have to account for multiclassing as well (a Cleric/Druid would have a lot of Level 1 spells to display, for instance)

Spells go through level 9. Should we try to break down the section into 9 levels and show each individually?

Any suggestions? I'm at quite a loss here, so I'd appreciate any advice or insight you guys might have. I can't really seem to lock down a design I'm happy with for this particular box.
    Hi Ron, glad to see you back! I think with the character sheet listing all the spells the toon can possibly have is probably going to be a pain in the butt. You might be thinking about it from a build export perspective, and then I get why you'd want all the spells listed.

But if we are talking about the character sheet from a 'play' perspective then the spell section can simply be the 'prepared' spells... I know this can frequently change, but at least the list isn't super huge.

<edit> BTW comic sans is still there..... kill it! kill it with fire! </edit>
    Last edited by RaidMR; 05-31-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Page 71 of 87 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast