Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1727

Default Simplifying

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    Not to be contrary, but I pretty much disagree with all of this. lol

It may be that you use the app just for a snapshot of what a build looks like at the end (that seems to be what your ideas provide) whereas I use it as a leveling guide. Plan it all out, print it, reference it at each level to avoid screwing up something as I usually do.
    There are two outputs (and a few options for each) and one can be used for leveling up when necessary and I've used those options at times. However, in many cases, most of that isn't that necessary. If you put all skill points into a handful of skills, then it's fairly obvious which to put them into. The end tells you tons very quickly about the level up.

And, in response to the others, class order might effect a few levels during the process, but overall, it only matters in the few cases that feat selection is effected.

The truth is, when looking at a build option to analyze, there's currently way too much info and many don't see the relevant stuff on the build for all the clutter. What often is looked at first is the end, then once one likes the build, the level up becomes significant (IF it matters, and often it doesn't except what can be written in a couple of notes after the build info).

Now, with all that said, the current intent is to have more flexibility. But, currently there is no option to greatly simplify skill output, for instance. Flexibility is great, but most will use a pre-built template to ask for build feedback and frankly, I find it cumbersome to look through all that to give quick feedback to a person asking for build output - so, a very simple output as an option would be very helpful. It doesn't effect my use of the app, only my willingness to give build feedback to another user!

PS: I've never said, nor will I say, that the current output sucks. It's a great app. Only greedy, selfish children tell an app builder that anything about it sucks! Programming free apps is a mostly thankless labor of love and should be appreciated, not childishly criticized. Ergo, thanks again - it's a great app!
    Yehediah (Dwarf Cleric), Zeddek (Human Favored Soul)
    Mezros (Drow Bard), Fieris (Drow Wizard)
    Freibo (Halfling Rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by Yehediah View Post
    Flexibility is great, but most will use a pre-built template to ask for build feedback
    Yep, I totally agree with this. Because of people's annoyance with the forum output, I spent a lot of time putting in all those checkboxes to help mitigate some of the clutter. And you know what? Nobody ever uses them. So I put in a couple of "default" buttons for what I considered common cases. And no one uses those either, hehe.

I shouldn't say "no one". Every once in a while I see a build where someone has messed with the settings, but it's very rare.

And I fully expect that is what is going to happen with the template system as well. Most people will ignore it and go with the defaults. Which is fine.

BUT: A few people will code up some new templates and use them. Because the templates will be stored as a simple text file, these can be passed around for others to use. The ones that gain acceptance I want to integrate into the planner builds directly as additional default templates. I think if they are available, people will use them. Especially if they post and someone says "Can you repost that build with 'xyz' template?"

In fact, my plan is to start a thread specifically for the discussion of templates and how they can be improved and which ones might be considered for inclusion in the planner as a default template.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    In fact, my plan is to start a thread specifically for the discussion of templates and how they can be improved and which ones might be considered for inclusion in the planner as a default template.
    One possibility is to use little check boxes, but have NONE selected automatically. The user MUST select one. Then you could include 3-5 defaults with descriptive names:

a. Detailed Build Guide: Use this to assist during leveling. Output includes all choices for each level up.
    b. Build RFC: Request For Comments. Use this as output on forums when requesting advice/critique.
    c. Compact Guide: This output includes mainly important level up options. A condensed version of the "Detailed Build Guide" for more experienced users.
    d. User Custom Template 1.
    e. User Custom Template 2.

Etc.

Default Wow!

Yep, I totally agree with this. ... I shouldn't say "no one". Every once in a while I see a build where someone has messed with the settings, but it's very rare.
    Brother is that right! As a contract PHP programmer, I see that all the time - everyone wants power (i.e., to do what they want how they want) AND they all want simplicity (where the program just does it all for you). Rarely can the the 2 coincide, causing the Catch 22 for any programmer.

BUT: A few people will code up some new templates and use them. Because the templates will be stored as a simple text file, these can be passed around for others to use. The ones that gain acceptance I want to integrate into the planner builds directly as additional default templates. I think if they are available, people will use them. Especially if they post and someone says "Can you repost that build with 'xyz' template?"

Now that is awesome! A lot of work for you and I didn't want to suggest that, but it is awesome.

I don't think I've personally posted any builds with your app, but I do use some of your settings to make a "level-up" list for me while leveling up a character. I have posted a very simplified hand-typed build description in our own forums - if I had a great amount of flexibility like you are noting, I'd probably switch to it instead of my hand-typed one!
    Yehediah (Dwarf Cleric), Zeddek (Human Favored Soul)
    Mezros (Drow Bard), Fieris (Drow Wizard)
    Freibo (Halfling Rogue)

Community Member

Default Question about using planner for a TR.

Have a 32pt build that I am going to TR and have a question about the abilities tab.
    I chose my single past life in the TR section which gave me 34pts to build with.

In the abilities tab there is a box that can be checked for +4 Bonus Points (1750 Favor).
    Am I supposed to check this box too or is this for making a 28 pt into a 32pt build only?
    If I check this box it gives me more points to spend, does this make it a 36pt build or is it a 34pt build with bonus points?
    What is the correct thing to do?

This is my first time using the planner for a TR and am a bit confused about this.
    It is probably a dumb question, I guess I am not thinking clearly this morning. lol

I tried to use the tutorial link in Ron's signature but it is either broken or just not working for me.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Zipwire View Post
    In the abilities tab there is a box that can be checked for +4 Bonus Points (1750 Favor).
    Am I supposed to check this box too or is this for making a 28 pt into a 32pt build only?
    If I check this box it gives me more points to spend, does this make it a 36pt build or is it a 34pt build with bonus points?
    What is the correct thing to do?
    Once you've selected a past life you'll be locked into either 34 (1 life) or 36 (2 or more) points and the 32 point favor checkbox will do nothing. You can still check it if you really want to.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by Zipwire View Post
    It should not do that. Please double check and get back to me if you see the planner giving you extra points when you have already TRed. The correct spend points (as sebastian says) is 34 points for 1 TR, or 36 for 2+. The checkbox should do nothing if you have a TR already.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

It should not do that. Please double check and get back to me if you see the planner giving you extra points when you have already TRed.
    I just checked it on build 03.14.02 and it's working correctly. Maybe Zipwire is using another build?
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Ignore me, I double checked and you are right, it is working correctly.
    I guess I was having a brain cloud and it was a figment of my imagination.

Sebastion and Ron, thank you both for your quick replies, I appreciate it!

Okay everyone. I just uploaded version 3.16.1 to the web site. This adds levels 21-25.

Let me know if you spot any bugs.

Next up: Printout overhaul...

Thanks, Ron! I'll see if I can push it around a but this weekend...
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteEnFuego View Post
    Thanks, Ron! I'll see if I can push it around a but this weekend...
    I hope you mean "a bit", because otherwise that just seems wrong

Meridia Suburb of Stormreach, Xen'Drik. But have a vacation home in Cordova, Tennessee

Okay everyone. I just uploaded version 3.16.1 to the web site. This adds levels 21-25.

Let me know if you spot any bugs.

Next up: Printout overhaul...
    When I try the download, I'm still getting 3.14.02
    -Khyber- Loreseekers, Guild Leader
    Hordorabbi ~ Hordiva ~ Hordazzle ~ Hordorc ~ Hordeau ~ And dozens of other HordoToons™!
    High Rabbi of DDO
    Loreseekers Guild ~ H.o.r.d.o.'s How-To Guides @Loreseekers

Quote Originally Posted by Hordo View Post
    When I try the download, I'm still getting 3.14.02
    Yeah. The link still points to the last build. You can use this link until Ron updates the page. I just copied the old url and change the "3142" to "3161" and... voila!

I hope you mean "a bit", because otherwise that just seems wrong
    Well, autocorrect on my iPad is still trying to get infractions for me...
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Default Build 3.16.01 - Comments and questions

Hey Ron,

I've loaded up a few characters and so far this new build is great.

Kudos on the character data load speed increase! The last build looked like a pinball machine while loading character data and could sometimes take a while. This build - BOOM! There it is. Nice optimization. Much appreciated.

I have a question if you feel it necessary to respond.

Is the "Select Enhancements" area for epic levels intended to be used if APs were held until reaching those levels or are you in the process of future-proofing for the rumored Enhancement Pass? I generally don't have any AP left by those levels but can understand if some folks did.

I know you're working on templates and export, but... (there's always a but)

Forum export is displaying the last class selected at level 20 as the class for epic levels. If that's WAI I'm fine with it, however the main screen displays "Class" as "Epic" for those levels.

The Ability increase at level 24 is not being displayed on export if the "Ability Raises" checkbox is ticked.

The "Export from Level 1 to:" drop-down list (Forum Export Window) only goes to 20 and retains the last value set or is blank when first invoked.

Everything else looks good.

I want to thank you again for all the work you and those assisting you in any capacity have done on this app. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Clear your browser caches guys. The page is up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Hey Ron,

I've loaded up a few characters and so far this new build is great.

Kudos on the character data load speed increase! The last build looked like a pinball machine while loading character data and could sometimes take a while. This build - BOOM! There it is. Nice optimization. Much appreciated.
    Thanks! I wondered if anyone would notice that. I turned off character validations until the ENTIRE file had been loaded (in fact, it was always supposed to work that way, but there was a bug that was turning them back on mid load, so I fixed that, and yeah, loading builds pop right up now).

Is the "Select Enhancements" area for epic levels intended to be used if APs were held until reaching those levels or are you in the process of future-proofing for the rumored Enhancement Pass? I generally don't have any AP left by those levels but can understand if some folks did.
    I put them in just in case someone still had APs past level 20. I don't know why you would do that, but it's theoretically possible I think a lot of people are just used to going to the last level to fill in their enhancements, so if it wasn't there at 25, I'd probably get complaints. I figured it couldn't hurt.

In fact, I just built a character yesterday and did all his enhancements at 25, and when I hit the "Auto Distribute" button, everything bounced in at 20 or less, so it seems that is working (always a good thing when something "just works", hehe).

I know you're working on templates and export, but... (there's always a but)

Forum export is displaying the last class selected at level 20 as the class for epic levels. If that's WAI I'm fine with it, however the main screen displays "Class" as "Epic" for those levels.
    Hmmm, I thought I got all those. No, that's not the way I wanted it. I guess I should have posted one more test build export, just to have a final checkthrough. Alright, I'll take a look at it.

The Ability increase at level 24 is not being displayed on export if the "Ability Raises" checkbox is ticked.
    Oops. Okay, thanks.

The "Export from Level 1 to:" drop-down list (Forum Export Window) only goes to 20 and retains the last value set or is blank when first invoked.
    No, not WAI. I'll look at it and see what's up. That's a bit odd though, I posted level 25 builds when I was testing, and it worked fine. In retrospect, it shouldn't have, since the dropdown only goes to 20. Strange. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the reports. Not so bad, I was expecting much worse bugs I'll get these all fixed for the next build.

Community Member

First of all, thanks for making and updating this program, I use it way too much.

I made a level 20 monk with 25 wisdom after tomes and level ups, and neither vorpal strikes or improved martial arts are available on the level 21 or 24 feat selections.

Quote Originally Posted by peng View Post
    First of all, thanks for making and updating this program, I use it way too much.

I made a level 20 monk with 25 wisdom after tomes and level ups, and neither vorpal strikes or improved martial arts are available on the level 21 or 24 feat selections.
    Those feats are missing from FeatsFile.txt. You can fix this by editing that file and pasting in the following text:

Paste Improved Martial Arts between Improved Inspire Courage and Improved Mental Toughness.

Code:
    FEATNAME: Improved Martial Arts;
    FEATDESCRIPTION: Epic Feat: +1(base damage) with unarmed. +0.5(base damage) with other ki weapons;
    RACELIST: Human, Elf, Halfling, Dwarf, Warforged, Drow, Half-Elf, Half-Orc;
    LEVEL: 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21;
    ACQUIRE: Train, Train, Train, Train, Train, Train, Train, Train;
    NEEDSALL: Class Monk 12;
    ICON: NoImage;
    VERIFIED: 2013-02-03;
    Paste Vorpal Strikes between Unleash Iron Defender and Warforged Traits.

Code:
    FEATNAME: Vorpal Strikes;
    FEATDESCRIPTION: Epic Feat: Your unarmed strikes are now considered vorpal and slashing. Note: Vorpal Strikes is a stance, similar to power attack. It can be turned on and off, and is off when you first log in.;
    RACELIST: Human, Elf, Halfling, Dwarf, Warforged, Drow, Half-Elf, Half-Orc;
    LEVEL: 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21;
    ACQUIRE: Train, Train, Train, Train, Train, Train, Train, Train;
    NEEDSALL: Ability Wisdom 23, Class Monk 12, Feat Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons;
    ICON: NoImage;
    VERIFIED: 2013-02-03;
    Technically, I think you could just append these to the end of the file. But why break with whole alphabetical thing?

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by peng View Post

Oops, yep, looks like we missed the monks when we were gathering epic feats. My apologies.

Thanks for putting the entries together Sebastian. I'll get those into our internal build. In the meantime, you monk types can add them manually as he instructed.

Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast