Default Display Sheathed weapons

So I have figured out that /sheathe will sheath my weapon but it disapears. I think that my adventurer should have his/her weapon displayed while sheathed and not in combat instead of everyone running around with a weapon in hand. One handed weapons should be displayed on the waist, bastard swords being an exeption they should be criss crossed on the back. Two handed weapons should be on the back along with Bows and quivers if they are currently equiped. My character just doesn't feel complete with out this.
    OH Ya, one more thing... Two handed weapons are currently held 90 degrees off. They are held FLAT and it looks unnatural.

I think the animations for this are already in the game.

In the character creator, when you first start a new character, the character models they show as you click through the classes are sheathing and drawing weapons randomly. When the weapon are sheathed, they show on the character.

So unless the character generator uses a different graphics system than the game (which is unlikely but possible), the animations are in there already.

Basic, universal rogue build advice
    "Not in the face! Not in the faaaaaace!"

All I can say is that I've been trying to turn it on. You can type /showhelmet off to disable the graphic for your head gear. However when I type /showsheathed on nothing happens.

I think the Devs mentioned at one point, but am too lazy to search for, that some weapons just look bad with this system in place. For example, how to sheathe a crossbow? Parts of it would be lodged in your character's back...

Personally, I think that the system should be implemented anyways. If a particular weapon looks bad - don't code a "sheathe" for it, and have it trigger the message "Wrong Weapon Type" that already pops up in some situations. If it looks weird to have a flaming weapon on your back - then suppress the effects like already occurs underwater.

The Character Generation builds a false expectation that visible sheathed weapons are a feature... and it's a let down to find that it does not exist outside of the CharGen. While this may be fluff, it's good fluff... and would make a lot of folks happy.

I have noticed that my character has a "chill" stance and an "I'm going turn you into sushi" stance. The Chill stance or not in combat should just include your weapons being automaticly sheathed with an option to pull them out via a hot key or /comand similar to another MMO which i will not mention here. At any rate the sheathing should be shown and also be automatic when not in combat.

Edit: I do agree that it is "Fluff" but it's cool fluff

I will re-suggest this on Monday.
    404error shows up in dev tracker. He may not be a developer by job title, but 'dev' is easier to type than 'Miscellaneous Official Turbine Representative'.
    Quote Originally Posted by brentpatty1
    Books are made to be eaten not read.

Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    Whooot!

Talking

Schweet

yay!
    -=]ArchAngels[=-

Sheathed weapons showing up would be cool (so /signed) - just make sure if possible that they don't unsheathe when you interact with world objects e.g. doors - it should really be a toggle that you turn on/off (and automatically turns off when you enter combat) rather than a single animation that sheathes once.

Garth

Garth 20/ftr (Kensei) Haeson 20/clr Cairis 12/ftr 6/rgr 2/rog Xortan 20/wiz
    Tinosa 20/brd Garthbot 20/fvs Gaarth 18/ftr 1/rgr 1/rog (Stal Def)
    Tibetan 20/mnk Automatic DDO raid timers Haezon 20/sor (Conj)

Community Member

I really like the way LOTRO works. If you are far away and you click on a mob you will pull out your ranged weapon. Once it gets close you automatically pull out your melee weapon. You can also have ranged and melee weapons equipped at the same time. I really liked this design choice. Not having to constantly switch back and forth is really handy.

Community Member

Sorry to necro but I'm wondering if there's been any progress on this?