Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kailiea View Post
    The easiest way to find that out is to stroll on over to the achievements sections of the forums............ which is where most players go when they want to know who has done something "great"
    You know, not everyone who has done something "great" posts such things. In fact, some folks probably do their best to avoid such sharing. Not looking for drama, I'm just saying that some folks have pretty regularly done some amazing things that will never be posted.
    ArtEriik: Leader of PhD, ArtEriika, Eriik, Cleriik, ArtCleriik, EriikaJoplin. ArtxEriika, AnEriika, ArtxEriik, EriikaEpic, ElusiveEriik, ArcEriik, AnEriik

Quote Originally Posted by Tom318 View Post
    It doesn't, it's just a measure of success that can be easily quantified and verified. It's like having the richest company in the world. You can be first, you can be more timely or more efficient or whatever, but the fact remains that you can't PROVE that you were more timely or more efficient or first, and that guild can PROVE that he has more reknown that you.

And get this, you can spend reknown but you can't spend "greatness"

Your analogy does not compute. Having the most renown in DDO does not come close to being the richest company in the real world. More like having the most renown in DDO equals most publicized company.

Still, if it can be proven that opening more chests leads to more reknown, then it can be objectively said at least that they have opened more chests. Since chests usually appear in places where creatures have to be beaten, it can also be said that they have beaten more creatures. In truth though, you don't only get reknown from opening chests, so you can't say it's a measurement of anything other than they have played a lot for a long time, which surely is the mark of a sustainable guild.

You can beat epic Claw of Vulkoor with 2 kills (I think, not 100% sure) or you can beat Kobold Assault Casual with 200 kills. Does this mean the later was 100 times more difficult than the first?

Fair enough, so if you want to call your guild the "greatest" you'll have to provide a way to objectively measure and verify the greatness that you claim your guild has.

I have my own opinions on this one, but suffice to say your "objectives" are not a measurement of guild or player skill whatsoever

It can't be said that reknown has no value though, it enables you to get a good guild ship and lots of enhancements for it.

No one is arguing against this. Just don't see the relevance to the argument.
    Comments in bold. I am not a member of Legion or a Legion enthusiast. I just think you have a distorted notion of what makes a guild great.
    700+ HP? 90+ AC? TWF DPS and Hate?
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=326756

Default actually....

I believe over raided on orien is the highest and most exclusive guild the game has to offer if im not mistaken they have 25 members and are level 70....

Just fyi

Quazicotl lev 15 rogue
    Revelation Fighters Orien

Quote Originally Posted by AkromaAoW View Post
    You know, not everyone who has done something "great" posts such things. In fact, some folks probably do their best to avoid such sharing. Not looking for drama, I'm just saying that some folks have pretty regularly done some amazing things that will never be posted.
    You know better than that.

SCREENSHOT OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

It's the law of the land, without visual proof it's nothing but blowing smoke.
    Archangels
    ~Shyvik~
    Old school Tharashk player since '06

It is.. well being generous so.. guild level is something everyone can see and verify.... So it's an independent, verifiable metric of measurement that is independent of opinion and conjecture.
    I ran last night in a PUG with some guilds that had 30+ guild levels, one was even in the 50's I think, and they were terrible. From random unneeded deaths, to share plz on Reavers Refuge quests, to getting lost inside the quest. But since the guild I'm a member of only has 3 members (Myself, Bunker, and Murnk) and is only level 18, those other guilds MUST be better players than us because their guild level says so? Yeah that's an accurate way to measure how good a guild is.
    Last edited by Shyver; 10-15-2010 at 06:33 PM.
    Archangels
    ~Shyvik~

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shyver View Post

Proof of an event is only important to someone who wishes to gain acknowledgement that it happened...
    ArtEriik: Leader of PhD, ArtEriika, Eriik, Cleriik, ArtCleriik, EriikaJoplin. ArtxEriika, AnEriika, ArtxEriik, EriikaEpic, ElusiveEriik, ArcEriik, AnEriik

Proof of an event is only important to someone who wishes to gain acknowledgement that it happened...
    Then what do you say about the person who will claim to have made an accomplishment at some point, but didn't take a screenshot because "it's not important"? But will go on to claim that they've done that in the past once someone else has posted it? We see it all the time, hence the screenshot or it didn't happen.
    Archangels
    ~Shyvik~

Then what do you say about the person who will claim to have made an accomplishment at some point, but didn't take a screenshot because "it's not important"? But will go on to claim that they've done that in the past once someone else has posted it? We see it all the time, hence the screenshot or it didn't happen.
    Well, first I'd have to care...

Well, first I'd have to care...
    For someone that dosent care, you sure post alot. If you dont like what is posted should anyone else care what you think?
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    For someone that dosent care, you sure post alot. If you dont like what is posted should anyone else care what you think?
    *Shrugs* People can care or not. My day won't be ruined either way. As for posting a lot, 511 posts showing after 4 1/2 years doesn't seem like so much for the highly social creature I was. Now, I'm just passing some time with a little friendly chat.
    Last edited by AkromaAoW; 10-15-2010 at 07:07 PM.

A mobile construct citadel in the Mournland where I plot fleshling death.

The achievements section is for people who need to be reassured about the size of their epeen. No screenshot means little to someone who doesn't share that level of insecurity.
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
    The achievements section is for people who need to be reassured about the size of their epeen. No screenshot means little to someone who doesn't share that level of insecurity.
    Spoken like a true hater; glad to see folks from the weaker servers weighing in
    Current Project: Cercivesoul Uzuaki 17 Fav. Soul / 2 Monk / 1 Fighter
    Cersivsoul Uzuaki 20 Fav. Soul
    "Spreading ignorance and chaos among the forum community."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
    That's right, you prefer videos don't you Ghoste? Should we change it to screenshot and/or video to cover all the bases? I can't help but see the irony of this coming from the leading edge of solo play achievements based in stealth. Instead of the achievement section, should we perhaps use youtube instead and link it in our sigs?
    Archangels
    ~Shyvik~

A mobile construct citadel in the Mournland where I plot fleshling death.

That's right, you prefer videos don't you Ghoste? Should we change it to screenshot and/or video to cover all the bases? I can't help but see the irony of this coming from the leading edge of solo play achievements based in stealth. Instead of the achievement section, should we perhaps use youtube instead and link it in our sigs?
    My videos are instructional. Hardly anything there worth calling an achievement. I'd say I'm flattered that you think so, but I'm not.
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Community Member

I swear to God, I'll pistol whip the next guy who says "verifiable"!

Quote Originally Posted by LawstCawz View Post
    I swear to God, I'll pistol whip the next guy who says "verifiable"!
    Farva: You mean Shenanigans?
    Mac: OOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    [CENTER]Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

It can't be said that reknown has no value though, it enables you to get a good guild ship and lots of enhancements for it.
    Let me restate for you, and hopefully you will actually read it this time: However, renown has no value in measuring a guild's ability to get the job done whether that job be completing epics, permadeath or roleplaying.

You seemed to stop reading at "no value."

How is it a measure of ability when you can earn more renown running harbour quests than you can soloing Sins of Attrition on elite? You keep saying that Renown is a measurement of guild sustainability and ability and yet can give no real evidence to support your position. Please, educate me. I really would like to know how the Renown system currently in game measures anything that can be used to evalute a guild's: ability to do the job; provide an environment enjoyable to be in;be able to grow, adapt and develop.
    Last edited by Clay; 10-15-2010 at 11:34 PM.
    Khyber
    R e v e n a n t s Renowned
    Thelanis

Clay Tells You, 'verifiable.'
    Khyber: Hallz Halliebree Redfivest Halspex Halleez Haltrain Hlx Hlz Hallion Halson Halls Halbot Haleas Halkaline Haluminium Haligula - Prophets of the Newb Republic
    Thelanis: Hallea Halsup Haliea Halrust Ricroll Riconic

Community Member

The easiest way to find that out is to stroll on over to the achievements sections of the forums............ which is where most players go when they want to know who has done something "great"
    So which achievement is the "greatest"?

I am sorry people feel that your guild is a bit sub par in comparison to ours but most don't find 1000 f2p accounts ransacking Irestone Inlet ad nauseum much of an achievement.
    And yet you don't (and might I say, can't) create a guild with 1000 f2p accounts attacking Iresrtone Inlet ad nauseum you don't find it much of an achievement, and yet you have not achieved it?
    Last edited by Tom318; 10-16-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    How is it a measure of ability when you can earn more renown running harbour quests than you can soloing Sins of Attrition on elite?
    It's a measure of the ability to earn large amounts of reknown.

You keep saying that Renown is a measurement of guild sustainability and ability and yet can give no real evidence to support your position.
    Real-world evidence is plenty. For instance, corp-brewed beer is pee in a can, and yet they make tons of money and have been in business for decades. Small breweries usually make great beer, and yet they are never as large and/or profitable, and for some their continued existence is always in doubt.

The crappiest MMO I've ever played (on a money/time ratio) is the most popular. I don't even have to tell you which one that is, it's that bad. And yet they make millions and are not going away any time soon. The best MMO I have ever played was an early incarnation of Saga of Ryzom. It was (and still is) the best and most realistic MMO ever. I don't think it even exists now.

In game, there's always the infamous KA. They always seem to have members on whatever the time, and they don't seem to be going away anytime soon. Whatever happened to PWNY? they were good.

Please, educate me. I really would like to know how the Renown system currently in game measures anything that can be used to evalute a guild's: ability to do the job; provide an environment enjoyable to be in;be able to grow, adapt and develop.
    I don't recall saying reknown measured a guild's ability to do a job, I thought I said it was an achievement.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast