Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    You would never make this kind of build....

I suggest an INT of 12, because that leaves the option open.. Combat Expertise (+5 to your AC) has it's uses especially for a Shield-using character, and Improved Trip can be quite useful too. A monster on it's back can't fight back...

This guy is not looking for a max DPS, raid-ready character... Improved Trip and Stunning Blow are fun tactical feats that make playing a fighter fun throughout the game (especially the low-mid levels)
    Well, I might make one...if I were to buy a second account (at this point in time...yeah right...).

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Why not? Intimidate is pretty useful even outside a raid setting... And since he plans on using a shield, and has plenty of fighter feats, he could even invest a bit in Shield Mastery (for occasional blocking)

You can do okay in end-game with just a single vorpal and a shield... Or a stunning blow, along with a burst weapon for the auto-crits. That self-cast displacement and a decent AC helps a lot.

He can always pull out a two-hander for DPS on the end-boss...

He gave us his parameters, he can do okay even inside those limits...
    Probably true, but you know me and how I build and play...

Quote Originally Posted by moonprophet View Post
    This just isn't true. Fighting with two weapons has nothing to do with your ability to hit, or damage output per hit. It does affect the number of attacks possible, and therefore the SPEED with which you can take down a foe. What REALLY matters at end game is doing enough damage per attack and using the right weapon to get past the damage resistance that most end game mobs have.
    You've misinterpreted what I was saying. Even bypassing DR isn't necessarily going to be enough if you're getting pounded into the dirt with only an average armor class and using only one hand. You're better off using two hands, putting out more damage, and having a poor armor class.

These are, of course...just my opinions on the matter. I think the displacement dragonmarks should suffice as far as defensive measures go.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    These are, of course...just my opinions on the matter.
    Oh, they are more than opinions... TWF is a better build, because it's more offensive, and can be more defensive too (#1 DDO is currently unbalanced because TWF can get AC close to or even better than Shield users, #2 Killing faster also means less time for the bad guys to hit you - i.e. "Best defense is a good offense")

I think the displacement dragonmarks should suffice as far as defensive measures go.
    Yes, a pure elf fighter will do fine... Maybe start like this... (28-point build)

16 STR
    14 DEX
    14 CON
    12 INT
    8 WIS
    8 CHA

This gives you the option of re-speccing to TWF someday if you decide to (with a +3 DEX tome)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

how about 8ftr/6rng/6mnk?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shroonith View Post
    how about 8ftr/6rng/6mnk?
    Evasion, automatic stabilization, disease immunity, slowfall, TWF, improved TWF, 10% increased attack speed, a 2nd tier monk stance and more skill points/choices granted by splashing 12 levels of ranger/monk.

Lot of merits to the build but would lose a lot of proficiency with my sword(s). Too much I feel.

I'm now leaning towards an elven strength based pure fighter. After realizing that the dragonmarks give invisibility, displacement, and shadowwalk, it seems to me that these abilities are largely why I would splash 5 levels of wizard in the first place.

Still open to suggestions however - less obvious feat choices, minor class splashes (10% attack speed is nice but not particularly important to the idea behind the build), beginning stat distribution, etc.
    Last edited by Darlor; 05-18-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Community Member

Wait till weapon:ki longsword. [You are centered when using a longsword].

BTW: if u want a challenge, play this build with no Feather Falling. Lots of fun.

Stats: (untomed, and very tentative)
    16+5lvl+2ftr+2rng+6item+1DT(tempest)or GS or alch pot: 32
    18+2rng+2elf+6item:28
    14+2mnk+6item:22

Feats: 7 normal 3mnk 5ftr
    WF:slash
    WS:slash
    IC:slash
    dodge
    mobility
    spring attack
    power attack
    toughness
    GTWF
    OTWF
    GWF:slash
    TWD
    Extend
    **Weapon Ki: Longsword**
    **Free Feat**

AC:
    10base
    4icy
    8bracer
    5prot
    2mnk
    9dex
    6wis
    1alch
    1dodge
    4insight
    3bark pot
    2tempest
    1twd
    3chat
    1haste
    ----
    60AC
    ----
    +1-2 (dex tome)
    +1-2 (wis tome)
    +1 stance
    +2real bark
    +2shield clicky/wand
    +5paly
    +4bard
    +2recitation
    ----
    80AC
    (you could mess around with starting stats and greensteel exceptional bonuses to get this higher)

Important Enhancements:
    FTR STR II [lvl6]
    Kensai I - Longsword [lvl6]
    Fighter Weapon Spec (enhancement) - longsword [lvl8]
    FTR Haste Boost III [lvl7]
    RNG DEX II [lvl6]
    Tempest I [lvl6]
    RNG Sprint Boost I [lvl1]
    MNK WIS II [lvl6]
    Elf DEX II [lvl8]
    Elf Melee Attack II [lvl10]
    Elf Melee Damage II [lvl7]

This char will have self haste from tempest and wind stance and haste boost. movespeed from mnk and sprint boost. evasion, great saves, great longsword use.
    Last edited by Shroonith; 05-19-2009 at 04:56 AM.

Community Member

hmm you make quite a tempting case. Surprised that they're adding the longsword as a monk weapon though.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darlor View Post
    hmm you make quite a tempting case. Surprised that they're adding the longsword as a monk weapon though.
    That is only a rumor and is not certain. The feat was erroneously posted in the compendium before release, so we know they, at the minimum, have considered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlor View Post
    Could be waiting a very long time for that to ever happen as well.

My first character, a 28 point elf pure fighter, is still pretty much my main character (I would pay cash $$ to be able to respec him to a 32 and get a couple of more points of con!). Dropped the shadowmarks after making a permablur/displacement shroud clickie. He's a GP fighter can tank, can gtwf, can even do SoS elite in a no evasion team (just to prove we could do it).

He is not uber but he's got some flex in him to play a few different ways depending upon the group. Did make the switch to khopeshes and dumped the longsword enhancements though.

If we ever get Mod 9 the kensai and lvl 20 speed boost are going to make him even more fun to play.
    Vorn, 28 Fighter
    Argo
    OSD

Community Member

Currently level 7 (one bubble away from 8) on a 28 point elven fighter with dragonmarks, and so far the build is working very well. 170 hp, 14 attack bonus with +18 to damage (power attack on), 30 AC without CE, effective intimidate, effective invisibility thanks to high character level from dragonmarks rather than potions/items (saved several wipes with it) and displacement whenever I need it for painful buggers. Topping killing blows over monks, rangers, and other fighters, and can solo just about anything.

Take your monk, ranger, paladin splashes and shove 'em where the sun shines more than it should!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12