Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I did some digging in lore books and I found a good summary on which seemed to match the WoTC lore books from wikipedia

"The quori are nightmarish beings from the plane of Dal Quor, the Region of Dreams. The quori lifecycle is somehow connected to Eberron, specifically each new Age on Eberron changes the nature of Dal'Quor, causing the otherwise immortal Quori to die and be reborn into a form more fitting to the new age."

and..

"40,000 years prior to the end of the Last War, the quori of that age invaded Eberron in an attempt to prevent the dawning of a new age but were repelled by the giants of Xen'drik, who managed to sever all connections between Eberron and Dal Quor using immensely powerful magic."

From these passages Quori try to prevent any new age in the material plane in order to keep there current immortal form. They invade to prevent the New Age from coming. The giants therefore would be motivated to fight off this invasion. This also opens up and explains why the Quori are still acting through agents or dreaming dark currently in the timeline. They once again are wroking to prevent a new age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi_Hordo View Post
    Gornn 1:39:12 And she caught him by his garment, saying, Lie with me: and he left his garment in her hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by NYYFan View Post
    All the spouses of DDO players got together and launched a coordinated distributed denial-of-service attack...

FlimsyFirewood

As they say, history is written by winners. It is common to demonize a fallen enemy (dead men tell no tales and can't dispute one's claims).

The war between quori and giants... was won by the dragons. They stepped in and put an end to it when the giants discovered a penchant for pyromania and started to play with cosmic matches. The dragons were correcting their own mistake, for they taught the giants where the matches are.

It follows that the history of the conflict is being retold and taught in Khorvaire's universities in accordance with the Prophecy (dun dun dun!).

But the dragons were a third party in the conflict, which started without their involvement. They didn't care who "started it", they "finished it".

What's more interesting is the story of the conflict as told by the giants (the descendants of which still roam Xendrik) and the ancient quori (which are, with noted exception(s?), extinct, as the Age has turned since then).

WikiGnome

By the way Flimsy, what "kind" of developer are you? Instance developer like Keeper?
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    By the way Flimsy, what "kind" of developer are you? Instance developer like Keeper?
    Evil mad genius

i think it's pretty obvious he only works on charred soarwood and lightning split soarwood collectables

Thus foreshadowing the next turning of the ages and the transformation into 4E? Or into console? Or....and now for something completely different.

Vorn, 30 Fighter
    Argo
    OSD

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
    i think it's pretty obvious he only works on charred soarwood and lightning split soarwood collectables
    It would explain their drop rate if each have to be hand crafted.

(Assuming I am thinking of the right collectibles.)

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Evil mad genius
    Traps, like TheRockingDead? That guy was nuts.

Flimsyfirewood asks: "Why do you think the Giants and Quori fought thousands of years ago?"
    Not sure of this was answered or not:

The Giant and Quori war is the whole basis for the really screwed up nature of Xendric... The cause of the war is simple.. Invasion of the Quori from the realm of dreams to the prime material plane. Giants didn't like this in the least...

The cause behind the Invasion of the Quori is a little more complex... Every 100,000 years or so the main entity of the Realm of Dream sort of... Reboots. It goes through a death/rebirth cycle. The Quori were trying to escape the reboot of the dream realm and survive it by not existing on their plane at the time of it's demise/rebirth.

It is also the Quori that created the Warforged. The reason was to probably help fight the Giants off.. as well to create a non-dreaming entity that they could merge with through the quori docents.. Quori who put themselves into docents... (See references on Kalastar to see the importance of a Quori being merged into a non-dreaming life form.)

Oddly enough the entity existing 100,000 ago was more... nice.. than the main entity of the dream realm we're currently under... Which is trying to postpone it's own demise/rebirth by controlling the dreams of the world and making them static.. With the assumption that no changes in the dream means no death/rebirth.. (See Sarlona for reference to Quori activity.)

FlimsyFirewood

We're getting warmer

And I am a content designer. That is, I build dungeons.

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    We're getting warmer

"Stop browsing the forums and make more dungeons!" post in 5, 4, 3...

We're getting warmer

Thanks for answering. Most of your work is with WorldBuilder, I assume?

FlimsyFirewood

Yup.

...kind of like the Matrix...with Mr. Smith not wanting to return to the source...

Yup.
    So you might work on an open world for DDO like in LOTRO or is that just wishful thinking on my part? O.o
    Proud Leader of the Shadowhand.

A is A. -John Galt

Resources?

Giants are big fleshy things who live in Xendrik.

Quori are spirits who flounce about in the dream world plane thing called Dal Quor.

If this war was really about resources... then what resources do they have in common? They don't even share a dimension...

... or do they?
    Bodies for one.

I would probably object to being taken over by a spirit who needed a home, even if it was temporary, lol. But it was probably simpler than minding loaning a body....the new thoughts, perceptions, etc would be terrifing to the "host", I would assume much like schizophrenics who hear voices and see things in altered perceptions. Think of the damage a giant could create if it went crazy and started attacking things that werent really there.
    The giants may have fought the Quori not out of unwillingness to help refugees, but out of self defense from the side effects of being "possessed".

Then again, being Giants, they may have just seen a battl against a formidible foe and wanted to see who was tougher. I mean, smushing kobolds probably gets boring at some point.
    "Some things have to be believed to be seen." Ralph Hodgson

Ciarra Stormbringer Cleric/Sorceror
    Darianna Dawnbringer Wizard
    Riasha Dawnbringer Rogue/Fighter

Rhavynheart Stormbringer Cleric
    Kestryl Stormbringer Sorceror

Evil mad genius
    Thought that was MadFloyd?
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Quote Originally Posted by darkrhavyn View Post
    Bodies for one.

I would probably object to being taken over by a spirit who needed a home, even if it was temporary, lol. But it was probably simpler than minding loaning a body....the new thoughts, perceptions, etc would be terrifing to the "host", I would assume much like schizophrenics who hear voices and see things in altered perceptions. Think of the damage a giant could create if it went crazy and started attacking things that werent really there.
    The giants may have fought the Quori not out of unwillingness to help refugees, but out of self defense from the side effects of being "possessed".

Then again, being Giants, they may have just seen a battl against a formidible foe and wanted to see who was tougher. I mean, smushing kobolds probably gets boring at some point.
    If i was going to posess a body, already being of superior intelect and with psionic abilities i would naturally choose the biggest most powerful body i could.
    “If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles" TsunTzu

The reason for war?

I heard it had something to do with a cupcake. I dunno?

What's more interesting is the story of the conflict as told by the giants (the descendants of which still roam Xendrik) and the ancient quori (which are, with noted exception(s?), extinct, as the Age has turned since then).[/QUOTE]

where is the special docent named "shira" when you need it? and btw there seemed to be a certain warforged possessed by a certain quori in prison of the planes , i wonder if that was shira's cousin :

from a quori's standpoint they were actually trying to save the giants from what they knew was coming in the next age , but they didnt find willing participants in that relationship , when the giants resisted the quori went into all out offensive mode , a sort of "save you from yourself" kind of thing

FlimsyFirewood

Ah, the stories that docent could tell...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast