Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Idea: More starter zones (lv1-2) like Korthos

More areas the size of korthos for starting characters based on their class/race would be fantastic, and bring some much needed variety to making a new character, some more level 3-5 missions in and around stormreach harbour and the market place would also bring more variety to play at low levels.

Classes/Races that start here : All warforged , Fighters and Wizards
    Start location: Cannith Warboat that went through a time rift into the future (our present) off the coast of the restless isles.
    Missions involve warboat doing military raids not knowing the war is over.

Classes/Races that start here : All high elves + Barbarians, Rangers , (and druids when they come) (Nature based)
    Start location : Island heavily forested in the restless isles , wild.. or remote corner of xendrik
    Missions involve investigating and cleansing corruption on the island, talking with local druids. calming animals etc Fighting invading wild- orcs.

Classes/Races that start here : All drow + Bards, Sorcerors, Rogues (Charisma characters + Mostly Chaotic inclination )
    Start location: Island near 3-barrel cove for scoundrels has a cave into the khyber where a lot of drow come up to trade.
    Missions involve stealing items, vandalism, general chaos and mayhem and plenty of fun.

Classes/Races that start here : Paladin, Monk, Clerics (Wisdom characters + Mostly Lawful characters)
    Start location: Monastery to sovereign host on an island. in the restless isles.
    Missions involve Guarding protecting others, healing, bringing criminals to justice.
    Last edited by hazzazz; 05-13-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hazzazz View Post
    More areas the size of korthos for starting characters based on their class/race would be fantastic
    What makes you think that?

much needed variety to making a new character
    What makes you think that?

more variety to play at low levels.
    Why would that be desired?

we don;t need anymore dev time tied up in low lvl stuff... when the game was lunched you could get from start to lvl 3 in only a few hours ...now you can still do that the quest are easier and there are more choices ...so why make more? doesn't make any sense to .....
    I've been here for quite awhile.
    JayWade

As it is a lot of quests in the 2-6 range get passed over in favor of doing quests/chains like STK, TR, Stormcleave, Gwylan's, Tear of D, and Delera's.

So you want them to make more content that's just going to be wasted, when people just go do the Durk's/Butcher's/Info/Ringleader/ 3x loop, do WW once, get lvl 3, and kiss the Harbor goodbye?

No thanks.

More high-level content please.
    * Sohryu * (Life #25: 13 BRD / 1 FTR / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

Hi hazzazz and Welcome to the Game!

If you have a flame-retardent suit, you may want to put it on for the responses you may get...

Just some background on the game: the whole Korthos setting is pretty new to the game and while it is cool, many (if nor most) players saw it as unnecssary since it's the end-game high-level point where the content is really lacking. It's so quick and relatively easy to get to level 4 or 5 in this game (a day or two without really trying) that new beginning level content would be just silly. Outrageous even. Once you have played the game a while (which I hope you stick around to do) you may realize how silly your request might seem.

Your ideas for quests are pretty cool, but you will realize (once you roll several different types of characters) that the same quest can be very different for each class, so new low-level content isn't that necessary an idea. If we had oodles and oodles of high-level stuff to run (we don't), a few new low and mid-level quests would be acceptable to the gen-pop but again, most players at this point need something beyond lvls 1-5 as they have rolled all the new characters they can and only have future high-lvl content to keep them entertained.

I think there is plenty of low-level stuff to keep busy through those levels, maybe you just haven't found it all yet.
    Last edited by wamjratl1; 05-13-2009 at 10:45 AM.
    Maveriq Wiley... Benefaqtor... Spyqe... Masqot Von Chaedence...
    Ghallanda

Trade List

Community Member

Forums are all about that giving opinions, and anyone who's been on them expects vultures waiting in the wings to voice their own over somebody else's opinions, i'm right and you're wrong sort of attitude. We all expect that, and we get that trolls with flamethrowers. Except these trolls dont die to fire.. they sort of just get more enraged and more violent to your person.

As a new player, I compare this to wow, it's an easy comparison. Wow has a HUGE amount of early content, multiple start areas and although the quests are superficial in design in comparison to ddo, they have the edge in variety. You can start in about 6 different areas all with their own quests (another 2 more if you consider the expansion races).

people replaying their characters with new builds might be like the majority and just do XP quests, zerg it , rush it just to get them as high as they can as soon as possible. but not all want that.. maybe they want a full experience.
    You're right in one respect it does take the same time to make low level stuff as high.. you're getting a bunch of that in mod 9 anyway.. but thats beside the point. Why are you so leveling orientated anyway? do you only want to play one character?
    Theres OODLES of build options in ddo from what I can see.. many MANY different ways to play that puts WOW to shame. So there should be MORE reasons for having more low level content not less..

I do commiserate with players who want to keep leveling their favorite high level toon, but content is content at any level. You can take your level MAX guy and zerg him through the low level mission because it's new and not enjoy it because you're way overpowered for it. or you can take a low level guy through it at the level it's supposed to be played at and enjoy it completely as it was meant to be, the choice is yours.
    It's your gameplay time..

3 barrel cove is a large level 3-9 area with at least 5 quests, Tangleroot Gorge is a lvl 2 area with a large quest chain and and a smaller outdoor area. Cerulean Hills is an outdoor area , it has no quests but is nice xp and is easy to get all explorere and a bunch of slayer/rares. The harbor area has at least 20 quests form lvl 2-4, including a rather large outdoor quest called Irestone Inlet for lvl 4. Searing Heights is a lvl 4 area again it has no quests but some nice xp and explorer points.
    Fallen former minion of the Gelatinous Cube
    Proud Member of Ascent
    Arko Highstar
    Arckos Highstar

Quote Originally Posted by ArkoHighStar View Post
    3 barrel cove is a large level 3-9 area with at least 5 quests, Tangleroot Gorge is a lvl 2 area with a large quest chain and and a smaller outdoor area. Cerulean Hills is an outdoor area , it has no quests but is nice xp and is easy to get all explorere and a bunch of slayer/rares. The harbor area has at least 20 quests form lvl 2-4, including a rather large outdoor quest called Irestone Inlet for lvl 4. Searing Heights is a lvl 4 area again it has no quests but some nice xp and explorer points.
    hazzazz, to (I think) help clarify Arko's point (the same point I tried to make earlier): There is already a ton of low-level questing to do to level your characters. Yes, your point that many people do only the best XP quests and zerg through them just to level is very valid; Lot's of peeps do this. But even the ones' who don't power-level still skip plenty of quests and areas, maybe without realizing it, as they level up. There are a ton of low-level questing options currently in the game. Yes, you currently have to start your first character in Korthos but after that, it is wide open. It's all centered around Stormreach because that's the concept of them game (currently) but that doesn't mean you have to do the same quests on each character just to level. Again, a lot of us just maximize the XP as we lvl and only do the major XP chains, etc. but that certainly doesn't mean it's the only way to do it. (me personally, I'm a mix between the two - I do like to maximize XP but like to do the odd "for fun" quests now and again and smell the roses along the way).

Between Korthos, the Harbor, the various standalone Marketplace quests, and the places that Arko mentioned (not to mention the 4 Dragonmarked Houses), there are tons of leveling options in the game. Sadly, you are correct, many of them get ignored.
    Maveriq Wiley... Benefaqtor... Spyqe... Masqot Von Chaedence...
    Ghallanda

Trade List

hazz...you can either accept what us old bags here are saying or not. personally ive been here for over 2 years, and have played with a multitude of different people. i can tell you definitively that there is too much low-level content as is, not enough mid-level, and not nearly enough high level content. most quests dont get used by the majority of the population, or if they do its for favor once theyre already capped.

to demonstrate this to yourself...make a new character. run every quest on elite starting with the level 1s, then 2s, etc. you will find yourself quickly outlevelling the content bc there is too much of it relative to your level and xp required to level. eventually (~ lvl 8 iirc) you will even out, and then fall rapidly behind the level of the quests. iirc, this method will yield you doing level 19 quests (lvl 17 +2 (elite)) and only being level 13 or 14.

Talking

i love the energy u put into this post, i my self would love too see any new content.
    Kahzadoom~Xzr~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~DoomTusk~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

hazz
    i think you've been affected by WoW too much
    they threw in the different starting area for people to solo in the beginning. in fact, most of the contents in WoW can be solo'ed
    DDO, however, isn't like that, we lvl a lot faster than WoW and cap faster, we focus on group play and speedy pace.

now let's take a REAL look at these "variety" of quests WoW offers.
    sure, you start in different areas, this offers:
    1) new landscape to look at, different types of enemy to fight
    2) different story
    however, it also means:
    1) you're more secluded from the majority of your players, you're more secluded
    2) you have different NPCs telling you to collect X-amount of this and that

rather than masking the repetition with flowers, DDO choose to cut short on repetition and try to get you to CHOICES faster, you have the korthos that you have to do, and then ww to access marketplace, then you're released to do any of those quests that you're able to handle
    honestly, would you want to be secluded more at lower lvl more than you currently are? DDO isn't exactly solo-friendly for newbies
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

A long time ago in the forums, I think when MysticTheurge was still about, we roughed out at least a few quests for areas such as Searing Heights, Cerulean Hills, and something else in TR. Nothing ever came of it though, to my knowledge.
    Vorn, 28 Fighter
    Argo
    OSD

Community Member Fluffy_the_Goth's Avatar

Theres OODLES of build options in ddo from what I can see.. many MANY different ways to play that puts WOW to shame.
    No, only ranger/monks or cleric/monks or wf casters.. If youre' not one of those you should reroll

At the top of tempest spine drinking my big ole beers:)

Forums are all about that giving opinions, and anyone who's been on them expects vultures waiting in the wings to voice their own over somebody else's opinions, i'm right and you're wrong sort of attitude. We all expect that, and we get that trolls with flamethrowers. Except these trolls dont die to fire.. they sort of just get more enraged and more violent to your person.

As a new player, I compare this to wow, it's an easy comparison. Wow has a HUGE amount of early content, multiple start areas and although the quests are superficial in design in comparison to ddo, they have the edge in variety. You can start in about 6 different areas all with their own quests (another 2 more if you consider the expansion races).

people replaying their characters with new builds might be like the majority and just do XP quests, zerg it , rush it just to get them as high as they can as soon as possible. but not all want that.. maybe they want a full experience.
    You're right in one respect it does take the same time to make low level stuff as high.. you're getting a bunch of that in mod 9 anyway.. but thats beside the point. Why are you so leveling orientated anyway? do you only want to play one character?
    Theres OODLES of build options in ddo from what I can see.. many MANY different ways to play that puts WOW to shame. So there should be MORE reasons for having more low level content not less..

I do commiserate with players who want to keep leveling their favorite high level toon, but content is content at any level. You can take your level MAX guy and zerg him through the low level mission because it's new and not enjoy it because you're way overpowered for it. or you can take a low level guy through it at the level it's supposed to be played at and enjoy it completely as it was meant to be, the choice is yours.
    It's your gameplay time..
    I have to agree with what others have stated. There is plenty of low lvl quests. If you ran all the korthos quests n/h/e and completed the explorer area you will be very close to if not at lvl3. The quests you describe are wow /war type quests. Simple kill x# of this, fetch that. I challange you to complete every quest other than in inavders in korthos and the harbor n/h/e and tell us what level you reach. There are plenty of low lvl quests all over the game that just dont get run much. Three barrel is a great example. The what we would benifit from is more 9-11 content and much more high end content. I roll lowbies quite a bit because once I cap toons all there is to do is loot run, raid, to perfect you toons.

Alot of us toss some gear to our lowbies then "zerg" them through the low lvl content.
    Last edited by lord_of_rage; 05-13-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Toons are in a constant state of flux. Khyber server.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    Maybe your forum name should be lord_of_halfling_rage then...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy the Goth View Post
    No, only ranger/monks or cleric/monks or wf casters.. If youre' not one of those you should reroll
    Only if you're a bad player like Fluffy... otherwise, there are dozens of solid interesting fun combos to play with...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

just as add-ons
    i'd prefer to have the quest progression split wider apart
    rather than having them converge together like WoW

ideally:
    Code:
                                        tier 1 quests
                  tier 2 quests                           tier 2 quests
    tier 3 quest            tier 3 quests     tier 3 quests         tier 3 quests
    WoW progression:
    Code:
    Tier 1 quests      Tier 1 quests      Tier 1 quests      Tier 1 quests
              tier 2 quests                           tier 2 quests
                                   tier 3 quests
    in other words, i prefer to have increasing variety as we progress rather than start with a lot and end with little
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Community Member Fluffy_the_Goth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Only if you're a bad player like Fluffy... otherwise, there are dozens of solid interesting fun combos to play with...
    Cold hearted, you struck me at my core of suckyness, I think I may go sulk now in a corner, will you hold me?

Community Member

The thing is though if you're trying to attract new players to the game, it's the stuff they see at the early part of the game that colours their whole impression, it's why korthos itself was made as it is.
    It has npc's with gameplay advice, but I think it lost a little by not having some class orientated stuff to begin with to show people how their class works. Which is why I suggested start areas based on class with a little storyline to hook them together. Dont need 6-8 start areas like wow has... (for storyline mostly) just 4 like the one I suggested rooted in the lore of eberron that covers all the start choices.

The truth is a lot of the most recently made stuff in ddo is simply better designed because the designers have learnt as they went along. I really like proof is in the poison, the new 3-barrel area.. they've been added fairly recently , they feel like they've had more effort put into them.

Jay:

I agree that that's what wow does starts wide then converges but it doesnt have to be that extreme.. ddo is more like a bulb. It has 1 startpoint, then spreads out a bit, then come back to very few at the very highest levels again.

For me, ideally it'd be more box shaped.
    Code:
    :
           tier 1 quests    tier 1 quests    tier 1 quests   tier1 quests
           tier 2 quests     tier 2 quests     tier 2 quests    
            tier 3 quest     tier 3 quests     tier 3 quests

There's a reason why WoW has so many starting areas (and so many players). When people start playing a game they don't know what class suits them best, or how to build it right, they pick one and try it out for a while, then try another, and another. Eventually people pick their character to stick with and go through the mid-high level content with it. With WoW you can pick a different race (or move to a different starting area) and get a whole new set of quests to play through as you try your new class. This keeps the game fresh and keeps people playing until they find their class. I think what DDO has is flawed, I'm on my third character and I'm already sick of Korthos and the Harbor. I don't know what character I want to play most and I'm already bored with the game because I'm doing the same quests over and over.

I fully support something like the OP's idea.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zai View Post
    There's a reason why WoW has so many starting areas (and so many players). When people start playing a game they don't know what class suits them best, or how to build it right, they pick one and try it out for a while, then try another, and another. Eventually people pick their character to stick with and go through the mid-high level content with it. With WoW you can pick a different race (or move to a different starting area) and get a whole new set of quests to play through as you try your new class.
    Those traits have very little to do with WOW's success.

For someone who stays actively subscribed for very long, time spent in segregated lowbie zones accounts for only a tiny fraction of the game experience.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast