Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Quanefel View Post
    Turbine loves LOTRO more than us. lol
    No they love money and it makes more than DDO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCalico View Post
    No they love money and it makes more than DDO
    Yes and some of the reasons LOTRO makes more than DDO is they have more to offer to the most amount of MMO players out there. We have very little to offer to people who might be interested in playing DDO. Very little compared to all the MMO's out there including LOTRO.
    Last edited by Quanefel; 05-19-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    Proud Leader of the Shadowhand.

A is A. -John Galt

bump/update

A is A. -John Galt

The only crafting I ever truely enjoyed, was in Starwars Galaxies.

The amount of options available to you was immense. The fact that most classes at the time of it's launch were hobbled because the economy hadn't been established to sell a flame thrower to a commando unit for a million damage, was because no one knew... even Teras Kesai masters were laughed at because they didn't have vibro blades crafted for them. (Sounds familiar don't it?)

Anyways, I loved just exploring the miles and miles of vast wilderness in that game on all the different systems. And trying to find that one sweet spot to set up an excavator or moisture farm, or what ever, just to make your weapon special and stand out from the crowd at the bazzar terminals.

DDO offers none of that, nor do I think it should.

This game is action and combat based. It's a hack and slash dungeon crawl that creates excitement and tension through it's often times frenetic pace. Crafting beyond the token grinding we have now, would slow it down considerably, and detract from the overall feel of DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by hu-flung-pu View Post
    The only crafting I ever truely enjoyed, was in Starwars Galaxies.

The amount of options available to you was immense. The fact that most classes at the time of it's launch were hobbled because the economy hadn't been established to sell a flame thrower to a commando unit for a million damage, was because no one knew... even Teras Kesai masters were laughed at because they didn't have vibro blades crafted for them. (Sounds familiar don't it?)

Anyways, I loved just exploring the miles and miles of vast wilderness in that game on all the different systems. And trying to find that one sweet spot to set up an excavator or moisture farm, or what ever, just to make your weapon special and stand out from the crowd at the bazzar terminals.

DDO offers none of that, nor do I think it should.

This game is action and combat based. It's a hack and slash dungeon crawl that creates excitement and tension through it's often times frenetic pace. Crafting beyond the token grinding we have now, would slow it down considerably, and detract from the overall feel of DDO.
    While it is true that DDO is combat based, they have over the years shifted somewhat for DDO to not be exclusively combat focused. A crafting system based off D&D rules would not slow down crafting nor detract from the over all feel of DDO for those who want no part of it. When they added that Ice game, I used it once and never bothered with it again. No one is forced to do anything they do not want to in game. But at least have things like this added for those of us who really want to use it to take part in it, if we want.

With the addition to those Ice "recipes" from the Ice event it is looking closer and closer to us getting more crafting, hopefully with us being able to use recipes to attach permanently to our characters. More for convience of seeing what ingredients we need for crafting certian effects in the future. I will still keep pushing for them to explore my ideas listed on this thread.
    Last edited by Quanefel; 04-06-2010 at 05:08 AM.

A is A. -John Galt

Community Member

Smile you bump as promised

Firstly, you have a reply here on my thread.

Secondly, I think you have put a lot of good thinking into this subject, some of which I agree with, some of which I like, and some of which I will have to ponder. I may even need to borrow an idea or two for the "solution" on my thread.

Based on my impression of the community's wishes for where to allocate development resources, I think your complete proposition would be placed on the back burner even within the topic of crafting. What I think would first have to happen is the end result of your idea -- that is, more variety in crafted products -- would need to make its way into the game first with a less complex means of attaining them. From there I think it will be easier to expand the means by which custom crafted items are attained to class skills/feats.

Keep up the good work.

--Raynor here...

Crafting could fit very well into DDO. Even if it is just cosmetic changes to random dropped equipment. I would learn crafting just for this ability.

The ability to break down dropped gear ( that would otherwise be sold for ingame cash ) to possbly get the pieces you need for crafting, has been shown in other games to be something players are willing to do. This can be a major plat sink in game. I would support it just for this reason.

Requiring the use of Feats or skill points would be a bad idea. Make it the focus of a pay to play pack with getting the feats being a favor thing. Casual to Epic in difficulty, perhaps with large gaps in the difficulty between each, say 4 casual, 8 normal, 12 hard, 16 elite, 20 epic.
    Occasionally playing on Cannith

Llyren, Kelda and some others.

Default yup sounds like.....

wow crafting supergrind (just what we need more lame grinding).i left wow and came back here for a reason.in the last year there have been a few things wowish and its hurting my online experiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleep_Wurp View Post
    wow crafting supergrind (just what we need more lame grinding).i left wow and came back here for a reason.in the last year there have been a few things wowish and its hurting my online experiance.
    If you think crafting is a supergrind then just avoid all crafting in-game. Avoid Greensteel, Inspired, Dragontouched Armor, Epic and Ritual crafting and your online game experience is not hurt at all. Instead you can focus on mindless grinding out quests and raids in the vain hope of "maybe" getting what you want for treasure.

Personally I do not care much for the mindless grind of quests or raids to get the things I want for my characters. Hoping by some random luck of maybe getting something after running a quest, raid or rare chest in a slayer area that I could make use of. Some find that randomness enjoyable, not me though.

The "crafting" we have in game is not really connected to each other, is more complicated than it needs to be, is limited in actual choices, provides no depth to our characters, puts our crafting ability in the hands of altars or NPC's, and with it looking in the future to continue with even more random, unconnected "crafting" coming to us from now on.

I am asking in this is a backbone structure to the crafting to tie things together better, makes it easy enough to understand that ALL players can make better sense of it, adds something to our characters to round our characters out better, gives all players something else to do than JUST questing or raiding, provides an extra source of income for all players, streamlines things better to allow Turbine to add more to it in time, and combines alot of misc crafting features that players have been asking for. Including such things as:

Being able to repair our own items, even Red damage.
    Crafting vanity clothes just for the looks.
    Adding symbols to shields, if we want.
    Adding designs on our armor, if we want.
    Create Helms with the visual look we want.
    Having more options to the look of our armor, weapons or helms.
    Being able to craft things with certian materials for our items like, silver, Cold Iron, Mithral, Gold, Darkwood, etc.
    Crafting weapons with non-magical bonuses like, increased crit range, increased base damage, + extra non-magic damage, or items with increased durability, increased base value and increased hardness.
    Crafting items with all items our character crafts labeled on them "Crafted by player X", even if most will be bound to account or character not all will be so we can sell some to other players WITH our names forever attached to the item.
    Dying armor, clothes, shields or helms the colors we prefer.

The possiblities for a crafting system is more than what people generally think it would be.
    Last edited by Quanefel; 04-07-2010 at 06:03 AM.

A is A. -John Galt

Community Member Kepli_Moonshadow's Avatar

Instead of continuing the /rant

Ok, say we have crafting. I like it. Customize your character down to the boots. I think it's a great pp sink for the lazy, a great hunt/gather for teh UBER ADD (like me), and if you can't find a PuG, go craft for profit.

I think it would help the newbs (I HAS NO GOLD)

And the vets (I HAS ALL TEH GOLD)

Just saying, it's a viable option. If you don't want to participate in this aspect of the game, don't.

Get back to your easter egg hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    Kepli_Moonshadow, you're DA MAN
    Ghallanda: Aryq (17(TR), RGR) Duurva (6 (TR), BARB)Xenafrae(19 PAL) Cyrindaa (20, ASSN)Ysiidra (13, WIZ) Pawlianna (12 BRD/RGR/FTR)

Take galaxies style crafting rename to fit D&D, remove pointless resource mining and you win
    Ultimately you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it be a good player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant
    Please don't make posts like this, thanks.
    You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Combat_Wombat View Post
    Take galaxies style crafting rename to fit D&D, remove pointless resource mining and you win
    I will agree with you the current resource(collectable) "mining" is pointless. Yet you and others are looking at what it is currently, not what it will be. In order for crafting I have layed out to work more effectively and be less "grindy" is to improve upon the collectable nodes in all slayer areas and all quests. Currently the higher level the area/quest, the less and less collectable nodule spots you find. Also, not every monster currently drops a collectable bag or drop much in the way of variety.

They would have to fix that problem and also include more collectables per drop, and more than just 1 collectable per bag/nodule spot.

Also understand that any recipe will not require all the ingredients to be a raw resource. You have raw resources, crafted material components and vendor components. Each recipe will vary in some or all of those different types of ingredients, depending on the item to be crafted. With the majority of the ingredients buyable from the vendors directly.
    Last edited by Quanefel; 04-07-2010 at 07:01 AM.

A is A. -John Galt

D&D crafting just took cash. The perk was that you paid 1/2 base price. The other 1/2 was usually the "fees" and markup from the caster that did the work. (or saved if done by yourself)

There really wasn't gathering of any materials, but the feat issue would have to be revisited, or you would just have crafting alts ... or more bonus feats for casters maybe.

The crafting Turbine added was pretty silly .. and for someone who missed most of the Mods since the Orchard ... its a little overwhelming. I guess it was a grind that they felt they needed to keep the vets ... prior to that all you had was your 32pt build grind .... which meant almost every dungeon there was. Now you can skip all the insane ones and still hit 1750 easy.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardo666 View Post
    D&D crafting just took cash. The perk was that you paid 1/2 base price. The other 1/2 was usually the "fees" and markup from the caster that did the work. (or saved if done by yourself)

There really wasn't gathering of any materials, but the feat issue would have to be revisited, or you would just have crafting alts ... or more bonus feats for casters maybe.

The crafting Turbine added was pretty silly .. and for someone who missed most of the Mods since the Orchard ... its a little overwhelming. I guess it was a grind that they felt they needed to keep the vets ... prior to that all you had was your 32pt build grind .... which meant almost every dungeon there was. Now you can skip all the insane ones and still hit 1750 easy.
    D&D Crafting was not cash focused in order to make use of it. If you were in a magic rich or large empire then tossing out gold for your ingredients might make sense but Stormreach is a frontier city on an untamed continent so it makes sense that most of your raw resources are all around you, you just have to go grab what you need.

Also, having a caster do the work? If a caster is doing the work then you are not crafting, someone else is. What it seems to be is you are confusing Crafting skills with Create Magical Item feats that casters make use of. They are not the same thing.

For each of them, yes there was gathering of resource since if a DM was good one, he would design a quick adventure so that all the players could take part in gathering items to complete a recipe for an item to be created. Normally there would be no set recipe for crafting items or create magical items, it would be up to the GM what those recipes would be. They way they have that system set up in LOTRO would make sense to streamline recipes for crafting/creating items so there is no guess work in it.

What do you mean to feat issue would need revisited? For Create Magical Item feats I assume. How the rules have them set up is pretty clear and reasonable. A player has to be able to cast spells to even start out using them, the more a character dedicates in caster levels then the more of these feats open up to them, dependant of your overall caster level. Unless you are suggesting that casters have it stripped away from them to be open to all, even non-casters who have no magical talent yet somehow are able to grasp the complexities of crafting magical items? With most created magical items requiring the maker to cast spells into it, so....

Now if it is about not being able to take all or alot of those feats, well...not even a full caster would be able to do that without watering their character down into a magical item creating bot. Which, even so...it is their character to do as they please. But reasonably it would just mean you split up these feats between the caster characters you have, depending on what caster levels each character has. So you could effectively have 1 or 2 of these feats spread between your characters without watering each of them down. Furthermore, each character has full use of the mudane crafting skills that is available to all characters no matter their class or mixed class. Since we can buy up to 30 characters per server, the options available to us for these crafting skills and create magical items feats are many. Instead of people focusing on having one character be a jack of all trades for these feats, they should view it more reasonable.

A is A. -John Galt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12