Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are cleave OR greater cleave a waste?

Your opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Flintsen View Post
    Your opinions
    not wanted so stay away!!!!!

Default What?

Is that directed at me or my question?

Quote Originally Posted by Flintsen View Post
    Is that directed at me or my question?
    your question silly read it all together

yes it is a waste - until there are multiple high to hit mobs with low AC/low hp. I.e. if the Kobolds in Enter the Kobold actually did damage to you, then it might be worth it. And in retropect, it really doesn't seem to help the orthons in VOD too much either.

Eh..
    I have both on my fighter because I ran out of Feats that I wanted.. and didn't want to 'just buy toughness' again...

I do have to say it's cheaper than Whirlwind... And gotta love when you get the rare times you get multiple vorpals off from a spin attack.

Thumbs up

Not a waste imo, but it depends on your build, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some extra feats from fighter levels, or are trying to qualify for the upcoming Barbarian PrE Frenzied Beserker. I have cleave on my barb14/fighter2 and in combo with a good intimidate score and stacking rages with a 2 handed weapon, it can really do a lot of quick damage and pull a lot of aggro. Just the other day in shroud did a double vorpal via cleave, which is cool to see. I love cleave.
    Player on Sarlona since November 2006
    Alts: Vainomoinen/Eleutheros/Nicoletta/Nahuatl/Giordano/Gnorri/Somah/Jibrael

I think it can be cool with blinding weapons or vorpal as another said, but it really depends on your build needing feats that may be more important. Most guys I know have swapped them out.
    Sarlona- Sorcia

Officer of EMPIRE

Total waste, unless you have a Radiance II Scimitar. Then, it may be useful but only if you got nothing better.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Default Love the Cleave-age

I love Cleave and Greater cleave.

Cleaving is great fun ... WF Fighter has a great time with it.

Not just for the "special effects" (vorpal, etc. ... although that is cool) ... but major DPS on groups.

Might not be for everyone ... but I really enjoy it.

At lower/mid levels cleave can be a ton of fun and it's quite useful. End game stuff not so much.

As others have said unless you have a ton of feats to spare there are usually better choices. As a pure fighter or almost pure fighter it may be worth picking up cleave.

I could see someone having a lot of fun with it and a Radiance II falchion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Community Member

Very powerful tools when used properly.

I have a dwarven con fighter build that I just sheild block and cleave/great cleave with constantly. Works great. Not a waste in my oppinion.

I like them alot on my S&B and have both locked in just above the "W A S D" cluster. With the seperate timers I spam them as fast as they recharge....which resets my attack sequence, thus avoiding the slower attacks at the end.

Seems to me that the improvements being made to glancing blows will push these 2 feats further along the path to utter uselessness.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

I like them, but then again I only have them on one melee, so it's certainly not the best thing there is.
    sravana, kirtana, smarana, dasya, atma-nivedana
    ...NAMASTE...

I have them on my original S&B Paladin and they are definately useful, situationally. Good in a group of baddies to get quick aggro or for crowd control/special weapons. You can Paralyze several at a time. Nice with smite and disrupt as well, and if you get extremely lucky, vorpal is really fun.

Moderatly reformed forum lurker.

"Hi, Lurker"

Community Member

Cleave was one of the original feats my human fighter took, and I took greater cleave asap. I loved them for flavour sake, for drawing aggro, and for just being able to cut a swathe in a crowd

HOWEVER

at higher level play, they're basically useless. Once that fighter started raiding, I swapped them out.

Great for vorpalling 4 mobs at a time (if you're lucky), or if dual wielding, then you can WoP/WoE everything around you in a 140 -180 degree arc. Only if used properly, as was said earlier are they useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Huxley
    There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued
    Turbine, you can hire more developers for the game. We operate on a giant Theocracy of Debt, so go all out finding developers for the best MMO out there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast