ok so when monks 1st came out I played one for about 1 hr and said "I dont like this" and promptly deleted it.
Time passed and every now and then Id pull a good item that screamed of monkdom.
Ive got fearsome of heavy fort robes and outfits, deathblock of heavy fort outfits, dual weakening of enfeebling kamas, weakening of enfeebling handwraps, +6,7 and 8 bracers and so on and so forth.
I saved all this stuff and debated the idea, finally making a monk.
Ive reached 10th level and built him taking the advice of other forumites but also tweaking to my tastes.
The stats (in wind stance, where I normally sit)
str - 16 ac - 38 w/bark pot (have chaosgardes but cant fit them in right now, maybe never)
dex - 26 hps - 192
con - 16
int - 8
wis - 24
cha - 8
- I have fun playing him
- hes fast and agile
- max damage Ive ever done is 21 pts (LAME!!)
- when I get hit I go down like a .......... well u know
- AC is not that great (I can roll a fighter with 10 dex and have better AC at same level)
- I crit on a 20 only for x2 damage ("L" on the forehead)
- I cant hold on to my ki and in good groups Im lucky to build any ki at all
- my weakening handwraps dont work (I switched to maladroit but that doesnt lower enemy dps at all)
- If my party wipes and Im still standing I usually dont have enough ki to help anyone out
(and the ki based rez drains 50 ki that I dont have and 50 hp that I cant spare = LAME!!)
- I cant use wands of any kind nor scrolls
- I have a shuriken for a ranged weapon (mobs and players alike laugh at me for this)
- my buffs dont last longer than 60 secs if Im lucky enuff to get them off
- It would make sense to buff before a fight but monks cant do that, maybe if I can get in about 50 solid hits I can give the party a very minor buff (SUPER LAME!!!)
The only reason I can still get invited in party's at all anymore is Im a half way decent player and can make what little this character can do work for a party. After 10 levels I sorta feel like Monks serve no purpose in a group and I could have built a rogue that would out perform him. I have some fun with my monk but many aspects of the class are just embarassing. Like when someone says "hit us with that fire/pos buff again" and I reply "I cant because there is nothing to beat on right now".
For a support melee class I can barely support anyone and my melee damage is laughable.......... but I have tons of fun solo.
Monks need tons of love starting with better crit ranges and multipliers and immediately followed by fixing all the gear that is available to him (meaning better stuff and stuff that works)
Class is underwhelming and anti-climatic for the hype that was being generated for them.